I've been using a BB for years, before switching to an iPhone because of many little annoying details...

Now, I'm seriously interested in buying a new Q10 as soon as it gets out, but I've some questions about the data plan.

I heard that BB10 doesn't require the BIS anymore, and thus doesn't require a special data plan. Is this correct?
    In this case, without the BIS... How do emails work? No more centralized email system (so, 1 single connection to 1 server, saving lots of battery?).
    And, without BIS, isn't the Internet be "slower" and doesn't it use more data than on BB "classic"?

Thank you!
    04-16-13 03:09 PM
    No more BIS (@blackberry.net) emails. The new BlackBerry devices function pretty much like the rest of the devices on the market now... Emails that are POP based will require you setting the "Sync Interval" with the shortest interval being 15 mins. IMAP based accounts based accounts give you the "Use push if supported" option in addition to the sync interval.

No special data plan is required. It will use more data that older BlackBerry devices, but the Internet is much faster. It has 4G.
    04-16-13 03:20 PM
    Thanks for the answer!
    This is a really sad news.

It means that:
    1. If I have 3 email addresses (as I do), the phone needs to keep 3 active connections, consuming much more power.
    2. True that it has LTE (even though it's not widely deployed here ), but the nice thing about the BIS was that it consumed much less data (and for those of us who have just 1GB per month, it's really useful).

I understand why they removed the BIS... Nevertheless, I believe it was one of the biggest features of the BB...
    04-16-13 03:38 PM
    Thanks for the answer!

It means that:
    1. If I have 3 email addresses (as I do), the phone needs to keep 3 active connections, consuming much more power.
    2. True that it has LTE (even though it's not widely deployed here ), but the nice thing about the BIS was that it consumed much less data (and for those of us who have just 1GB per month, it's really useful).

I understand why they removed the BIS... Nevertheless, I believe it was one of the biggest features of the BB...
    Not to be a nitpick but how is that sad news to you? You switched to iPhone so the demands of power, and data consumption will be the same. What you will gain is a great user experience, super fast internet, fantastic email integration in the hub, and amazing multi tasking.
    04-16-13 05:08 PM
    Thanks for the answer!

It means that:

Nobody has really quantified how much data use BIS saved. Frankly, I think in many instances people have upgraded to a Z10 from older BBs and wound up using them much more, resulting in higher data. Without a strictly controlled study (2 phones with identical data traffic on the same network) we're going to have a hard time seeing just how much this is going to cost.

The phone doesn't maintain "constant connections" to mail servers. The phone still receives sync notifications by either IMAP or MS Exchange servers and these likely don't consume any greater data OR power than the previous BIS scheme. Note that the Z10 has a much bigger battery than any previous BB; the screen probably sucks much more energy than the radios do.
    BerryWizard likes this.
    04-16-13 05:17 PM
    No doubt on the pros of the BB. Despite having had to switch to the iPhone, I still miss some things from my previous Bold...

Fact is that on the iPhone I am currently using only 1 notification: for emails I use "Mailbox", an app that delivers emails via push notifications. Basically, it's just one connection.
    But Thunderbuck is probably right saying that the amount of power required by the radio is likely less than the one used by the large screen (and the Q10 I'd like has a smaller one too!).

About data consumption...
    Of course I do not have precise studies as well, but I remember that with my previous BB I used ~500MB per month, without paying any attention to that, while with the iPhone I am close to the cap (1GB) every month (and I have to pay attention to what I do). Ok, they are different phones and that doesn't necessarily mean it's only because of the BIS, but it definitely helped!
    04-16-13 06:07 PM
    No doubt on the pros of the BB. Despite having had to switch to the iPhone, I still miss some things from my previous Bold...

Fact is that on the iPhone I am currently using only 1 notification: for emails I use "Mailbox", an app that delivers emails via push notifications. Basically, it's just one connection.
    But Thunderbuck is probably right saying that the amount of power required by the radio is likely less than the one used by the large screen (and the Q10 I'd like has a smaller one too!).

About data consumption...
    Of course I do not have precise studies as well, but I remember that with my previous BB I used ~500MB per month, without paying any attention to that, while with the iPhone I am close to the cap (1GB) every month (and I have to pay attention to what I do). Ok, they are different phones and that doesn't necessarily mean it's only because of the BIS, but it definitely helped!
    You'll be closer to the iPhone data usage. You'll probably be a bit less, but that will be based on not using certain apps because they're unavailable and not having to reload your browser tabs all of the time, rather than anything to do with the phone itself.
    EgoAleSum likes this.
    04-16-13 06:19 PM
    I have 9 email accounts configured and get 12 hours of heavy usage (doing all online activities on the phone) 20 hours of lighter usage between charges. I'm also using it on a 512MB plan. I'm careful with data usage, but not more so than with the 9810.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 05:54 AM