Thank you for this information! I didn't know how many US made vehicles are still there, but if it's about or between 50 to 60 thousand cars, then as an analogy we could say there's more than 1 mil users of BB10, wouldn't you say?
    01-12-20 11:32 AM
    I’m not criticizing the Cuban ingenuity but merely recognizing the monumentous efforts required keeping a circa 1950s automobile running without parts readily available.
    I understood your context. I was just saying that we'll be lucky if BB10 proves half as resilient over the next five years as the Cubans have been with vintage American cars over the past 60 years!

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    01-12-20 11:32 AM
    I’m not criticizing the Cuban ingenuity but merely recognizing the monumentous efforts required keeping a circa 1950s automobile running without parts readily available.
    Well, it's great then that there's no need for such a monumental effort to keep BB10 OS and devices alive!!

But going back to the vintage cars reference, I really feel there's no need for such an effort to find parts; at least in the US, I wouldn't know about Cuba,,,
    01-12-20 11:35 AM
    Well, it's great then that there's no need for such a monumental effort to keep BB10 OS and devices alive!!

But going back to the vintage cars reference, I really feel there's no need for such an effort to find parts; at least in the US, I wouldn't know about Cuba,,,
    There are three major, intractable limitations on BB10 viability:

1) Radio Bands
    2) Battery Replacement
    3) Data sync protocols for email, calendar, contacts, etc.

So long as those three issues are addressed, I can see using my BB10 phones as daily drivers indefinitely.

But if any of those three break, it's game over, IMO.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-12-20 12:12 PM

In Cuba and many other countries that used to support these vintage beasts, old school machinists turn out needed solutions.

Two of my uncles in Peru kept 40-50s vintage Chevys and Fords going in the 80s and 90s this way.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-12-20 12:15 PM
    There are three major, intractable limitations on BB10 viability:

1) Radio Bands
    2) Battery Replacement
    3) Data sync protocols for email, calendar, contacts, etc.

So long as those three issues are addressed, I can see using my BB10 phones as daily drivers indefinitely.

But if any of those three break, it's game over, IMO.

I don't consider # 2 a limitation. Batteries will be available for years and years but #1 and #3, certainly. The hardware in your Z10 (digitizer/motherboard burnout etc) will go kaput before you will be unable to find a battery.
    01-12-20 01:04 PM
    old school machinists turn out needed solutions.
    I happened to visit one of those machine shops 2 weeks ago in Holguin. Amazing to see what these guys do. But I also found out that many of those vintage cars you see actually have original engines replaced by diesel engines. I watched as a 54 Chevy was getting a Russian diesel replacement and mounts were being machined to accept it.
    01-12-20 01:08 PM
    Why not use doo from BBW? From inside the app go to Button Shortcuts/scroll down to Power/Double Click/select Quickly start/stop flashlight. Works well for me. Or you can experiment with practically any other button combination/setting.
    This is a good app!

Posted via CB10
    01-12-20 01:23 PM
    This is a good app!

Posted via CB10
    Yes it is. Who says there are no good apps in BBW. Roger was a premier dev for BB10 with beautiful apps.
    01-12-20 01:29 PM
    I don't consider # 2 a limitation. Batteries will be available for years and years but #1 and #3, certainly. The hardware in your Z10 (digitizer/motherboard burnout etc) will go kaput before you will be unable to find a battery.
    I don't think any of the three are at risk of changing in the next five years. I just meant that WHEN batteries can no longer be replaced, that will be the beginning of the end, whether it's next year or in 2030.

01-12-20 01:35 PM
    You already know the limitations of BB10 since you’re still using Classic until it broke. Are you asking if Passport hardware makes sense? It’s different layout that many love or hate. Personally I hate it and prefer Classic over Passport if back in 2016 or so.

Biggest issue with any BB10 hardware is the devices are old from component standpoint and most available now are used. We’re not talking parts sourcing like Cuban automobiles but you get the point
    I love the classic and all of the functionalities but i find it a lil bit slow when it comes to web browsing. i'm afraid of the 3 row keyboard and no symbols on the keys. It will make my typing slower? on the other hand i will have the swipe up capability on prediction text. I'm not sure what to do.. But i love the big screen on the passport, i need that extra resolution.
    01-13-20 10:03 AM
    I don't think any of the three are at risk of changing in the next five years. I just meant that WHEN batteries can no longer be replaced, that will be the beginning of the end, whether it's next year or in 2030.

I don't think anyone will be able to pop in a "new" battery and get the charge out of it that an actual new battery would offer.... but it will be usable - especially for those devices that allow for removable batteries.

But I think Carrier's might be an issue for BB10 uses as they transition from 3G to LTE/5G. Verizon claims that the BB10 devices don't meet their standards for VoLTE/HD Voice. So right now BB10 is pretty much dead on Verizon if you need a new activation, and in a year it looks like all BB10 device will be gone from the US's biggest carrier.

Is Verizon just pushing those older devices off? Or is there something about the old radios that really aren't supported? Will it affect other carriers as they move off of 3G?

But in the end, if it works... use it till it doesn't.
    01-13-20 10:33 AM
    I don't think anyone will be able to pop in a "new" battery and get the charge out of it that an actual new battery would offer.... but it will be usable - especially for those devices that allow for removable batteries.

But I think Carrier's might be an issue for BB10 uses as they transition from 3G to LTE/5G. Verizon claims that the BB10 devices don't meet their standards for VoLTE/HD Voice. So right now BB10 is pretty much dead on Verizon if you need a new activation, and in a year it looks like all BB10 device will be gone from the US's biggest carrier.

Is Verizon just pushing those older devices off? Or is there something about the old radios that really aren't supported? Will it affect other carriers as they move off of 3G?

But in the end, if it works... use it till it doesn't.
    I've been very impressed (shocked actually) with the performance of replacement Z10 batteries.

I use my Z10 on 4G/LTE almost exclusively. It's not an issue with AT&T or T-Mobile, but I don't know how Sprint and Verizon are dealing with the GSM unlocked BB10 phones.

01-13-20 10:42 AM
    I've been very impressed (shocked actually) with the performance of replacement Z10 batteries.

I use my Z10 on 4G/LTE almost exclusively. It's not an issue with AT&T or T-Mobile, but I don't know how Sprint and Verizon are dealing with the GSM unlocked BB10 phones.

Feb 19, 2020 is the current AT&T end of 3G activations.... that might be an indicator for them supporting BB10 going forward. But if you have an active device, you should be good for two more years. May find that you can't replace it - or move between devices.

Verizon... no one has activated any BB10 devices for a long while now. Several have had a device die, and got a replacement to find they couldn't get them to activate it - you don't just move a SIM.
    01-13-20 11:15 AM
    Feb 19, 2020 is the current AT&T end of 3G activations.... that might be an indicator for them supporting BB10 going forward. But if you have an active device, you should be good for two more years. May find that you can't replace it - or move between devices.

Verizon... no one has activated any BB10 devices for a long while now. Several have had a device die, and got a replacement to find they couldn't get them to activate it - you don't just move a SIM.
    Are you saying that AT&T won't provision a BB10 device that supports it's bands for 4G/LTE after it ends 3G activations or just that they may not?

I can count on one hand the number of times I've been stuck on 2G/3G in the past couple of years.

01-13-20 11:31 AM
    Are you saying that AT&T won't provision a BB10 device that supports it's bands for 4G/LTE after it ends 3G activations or just that they may not?

I can count on one hand the number of times I've been stuck on 2G/3G in the past couple of years.

AT&T never refuses service just you’d have to activate SIM card of proper size in a supported device or use adapter once activated to switch into BB10 hardware. Actual coverage, no idea...
    01-13-20 12:29 PM
    Here maps has nothing to do with Tomtom AFAIK. It's originally Nokia developed, ovi maps, now on its own.
    Maps works just fine on my Passport. I have a Garmin in my vehicle for a back up (got cheap from Goodwill, has traffic and lifetime updates) but I find that BB Maps is still rocking strong.

Posted via CB10
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    01-14-20 02:28 PM
    Maps works just fine on my Passport. I have a Garmin in my vehicle for a back up (got cheap from Goodwill, has traffic and lifetime updates) but I find that BB Maps is still rocking strong.

Posted via CB10
    Same here BB Maps works surprisingly well!

Posted via CB10
    01-14-20 02:30 PM

Could you share your source for batteries? I need to replace it in my Classic and my wife's Leap. We're pushing 3.5 years and they are about used up.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-20 08:04 PM
    AT&T never refuses service just you’d have to activate SIM card of proper size in a supported device or use adapter once activated to switch into BB10 hardware. Actual coverage, no idea...
    We had to upgrade when they dropped 2G for prepaid devices. Bought a Leap as the upgrade. I have been with AT&T for maybe 20 years now and they seem to be accommodating as long as the device is compatible with the lowest protocols on their network. I've found in rural areas the signal strength is not as great. My parents have Verizon and don't have drop outs in their house like my wife and I do with our BlackBerries on AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-20 08:09 PM
    Additional features I like:

Contacts integration with Exchange Active Sync to my Outlook account. No need to back up contacts, and updates are synchronized when updated either on my phone or Client PC.

Linking of contacts. I have my wife's Outlook contacts and my contacts setup on my device. Then I link them so the two become one. She is not technically savvy with these things (although she is adept at Facebook, to which I am not. Hence our dependence on each other), so I can update and add contacts on my Classic and quickly get it deployed to her Leap. So much easier to maintain.

I like the calendar. It allows you to create sub calendar entries/folders. It may be a Outlook feature, but integrates nicely. That way I can create a subcalendar for each of our kids so they have an individual calendar, but it is consolidated in the BlackBerry Calendar app. My wife and I use a shared Outlook account so it's easier to keep appointment schedules up to date.

Gestures is something I really like and instantly notice when they are not present on other devices like our iPad. Like a creature of habit, I try to use gestures before remembering I am not on my Classic.

I really like the B & T keyboard short cuts to quickly scroll up and down. I really hope Microsoft can add this to Windows 10 for when working on a large file.

I have to second the maps. Basic but quite reliable.

Expandable memory. I bought the 128 GB micro SD for both our phones. Great for carrying loads of podcasts for when at work, etc.

PDF app is great. Nice to be able to fill in files and add a signature to send back (ROI, permission slips etc) to school, providers, etc.

Posted via CB10
    truth4u likes this.
    01-14-20 08:26 PM
    Could you share your source for batteries? I need to replace it in my Classic and my wife's Leap. We're pushing 3.5 years and they are about used up.

Posted via CB10
    I have only bought batteries for my Z10, which have been widely available on Amazon and eBay.

01-15-20 06:02 AM
    I have only bought batteries for my Z10, which have been widely available on Amazon and eBay.

I have a replacement battery in my Passport from X-Longer. It seems good and has been in there for about a year or so now so I'd recommend that brand for your Leap and Classic.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-20 09:22 AM

2) Overall durability. I have carried my phone naked in pockets with coins and keys for 7 years and plugged cables into the micro USB port between 10 and 20 thousand times. I have no obvious scratches on the screen or problems with the USB port.
    I had some problem attaching the screen protector to my z10 and after this post I am thinking of keeping it as it is without the screen protector. More than that I think of taking off the pre-applied plastic/cellophane screen protector from my z30. What will be your advice?

Posted via CB10
    02-05-20 01:24 PM
    Additional features I like:
    I really like the [bb10] B & T keyboard short cuts to quickly scroll up and down. I really hope Microsoft can add this to Windows 10 for when working on a large file.
    Posted via CB10
    [Ctrl][Home] and [Ctrl][End] should work in Microsoft applications like Excel. They stole the idea from Lotus's 123 spreadsheet.
    Yes keyboard shortcuts were all the rage back when DOS ruled the world of the desktop applications like WordStar (predates Wordperfect) before Windows because they were super efficient and fast for workers familiar with them back then - far more efficent than the Windows GUI versions that replaced them. Microsoft initially didn't or couldn't figure out how to design it into windows apps very well...but decades later they are a bit better and still there. Just like I'm sure a PKB BlackBerry should still be for years down the road.
    Naimisha likes this.
    02-06-20 10:22 AM
79 1234