It's progressing way too slowly. It looked dated the day it came out.

Missing functions found on the much older OS7 phones doesn't help either.
    TAT must of took the past two years off as their influence is not seen much in BB10.
    Pics and video display is a pure shame on BB10. Media player looks like it's from Windows 3.1.
    No eye candy for the most part.

But then the 1.5 Dual Core probably couldn't handle much more.

Posted via CB10 on a Verizon Z10 running 10.2.0.1791
    11-14-13 07:59 AM
    what is consistent with IOS other than locking into an ecosystem that keeps a hold on you like it's crack. It will FOR SURE have you spending money on a device every year with no major difference. finger print scan, who are we now James Bond.
    11-14-13 08:07 AM
    to me, bb10 looks dull.. they need to make it bright and colourful.. ios7 really does look lovely. i mean look at the drop down quick setting menu.. dull... look at the numeric keypad to unlock ur phone... so bad... its horendous... they need a major overhaul of the artwork... android and ios r far more vibrant and attractive than bb10...
    11-14-13 08:20 AM
    OP,
    what you don't understand here is that lots of people already told you they don't care that much how it looks but how it FEELS, how it WORKS, how it HELPS us do what we do FASTER.

This isn't a photo album, nor a cover page for magazine!

Symbian, Maemo, WebOS, MeeGo, iOS, Android, and finaly peasce with BES10
    wincyUt and Dr J39 like this.
    11-14-13 08:35 AM
    to me, bb10 looks dull.. they need to make it bright and colourful.. ios7 really does look lovely. i mean look at the drop down quick setting menu.. dull... look at the numeric keypad to unlock ur phone... so bad... its horendous... they need a major overhaul of the artwork... android and ios r far more vibrant and attractive than bb10...
    I can see why BlackBerry wants to concentrate on proconsumers. Busy people do not have time to dwell on "dull" quick menu settings. I think users like amjass12;9539690 are perfect for ios / androiD.

By the way the only true unique looking phone os is windows

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    11-14-13 08:42 AM
    It's important if they have serious hopes of attracting a broader following.

But like others have posted, I'm sure that as they continue to offer updates, they will refine the look of the UI.

dunno ....looks fine to me. I'm more concerned with how it works anyway, and until someone else comes up with easy hub access, BB10 will be king for me
    11-14-13 08:44 AM
    OP,
    what you don't understand here is that lots of people already told you they don't care that much how it looks but how it FEELS, how it WORKS, how it HELPS us do what we do FASTER.

This isn't a photo album, nor a cover page for magazine!

you say that, yet the smartphone world disagrees with you with android and ios dominating the market. not only that... most business users now or people who 'get things done' are using android and iphones.. i dont think gewtting things done faster and how devices feel is exclusive to the blackberry. on the contrary.. i think some might argue with good reason and evidence that the competition gets it done faster...

you nailed it on the head though, when u said the people here dont care much about how it looks... it is only the people on crackberry that dont care... and the rest of the world doesnt use blackberry... sorry to say. im not criticising.. i think blackberry have completely lost their way.

11-14-13 08:45 AM
    My god no. IOS looks like it was puked on by the carebears. If they turn OS X into that kiddy crap I'm done with them.

I don't see how Android is much different then BB10. They have a similair style in a lot of areas at least with stock Android. In my opinion the Samsung skin is awful though. Stock is so much better.
    Bor Navas, R Field and Zidentia like this.
    11-14-13 09:11 AM
    Dated - NO.

A little too basic - YES.

I think given time that BB10 will catch up.... My concern is what will it do to my already horrible battery life? Can they optimize the code and make things better will adding more "always on" features?

Maybe.... some of the 10.2 leaks have actually had pretty good battery life (for the Z10), even with the new notifications.
    Bor Navas likes this.
    11-14-13 09:11 AM
    In my opinion BB UI is just in progress. At the moment BB is concentrated in building up the OS including all the features that we love and including some new features.
    Then BB will probably sit down working on an overall bug fixxing job and, at the end, they will probably come out with a new UI design.
    In my idea, being BB a BB with its DNA, I would be pleased to see a more sexy/elegant/thin UI. That doesn't mean full of flue colors of course.

Bye.
    11-14-13 09:12 AM
    My god no. IOS looks like it was puked on by the carebears. If they turn OS X into that kiddy crap I'm done with them.
    sales disagree... i mean at the end of the day its down to personal preference... but u really cant say bb10 looks pretty lol...
    11-14-13 09:12 AM
    Dated - NO.

A little too basic - YES.

I think given time that BB10 will catch up.... My concern is what will it do to my already horrible battery life? Can they optimize the code and make things better will adding more "always on" features?

Maybe.... some of the 10.2 leaks have actually had pretty good battery life (for the Z10), even with the new notifications.
    that is the problem though isnt it... bb are always catching up.. and their latest catch up in the form bb10 is still behind... bb10 need to be ahead of the game.
    11-14-13 09:15 AM
    It's progressing way too slowly. It looked dated the day it came out.

Missing functions found on the much older OS7 phones doesn't help either.
    TAT must of took the past two years off as their influence is not seen much in BB10.
    Pics and video display is a pure shame on BB10. Media player looks like it's from Windows 3.1.
    No eye candy for the most part.

But then the 1.5 Dual Core probably couldn't handle much more.

Posted via CB10 on a Verizon Z10 running 10.2.0.1791
    Interesting assessment.

How much processing power do they need to add what many consumers consider to be fairly basic features into their media apps?

Tons of phones used that S4 CPU. The US One X, GS3, Optimus G, Motorola Atrix HD, Sony Xperia devices, All WP8 launch devices...

Have you seen what you can do in Samsung's GS3 Media apps (Music & Video Player, Camera & Gallery, and Samsung's Photo & Video Editors)?

That SoC is not the reason why their media apps suck compared to the competition. Not even close.

Samsung backported most of that functionality to the GS2/Skyrocket, so what you're saying is basically the Z10 needs a monster SoC to accomplish what Samsung can do on an S3 (EDIT: As in "Snapdragon 3") SoC from 2011...

BTW, are the media apps in the Z30 any better? ;-)
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 11-14-13 at 09:27 AM.
    11-14-13 09:16 AM
    sales disagree... i mean at the end of the day its down to personal preference... but u really cant say bb10 looks pretty lol...
    Yes I can say BB10 looks good but it does need to be polished in a few areas. I think they should add some more color to areas including the lock screen and get rid of icon shadows but in no way does that mean it looks dated.

In my opinion BB10 looks better then IOS although I will admit that IOS is more consistent which BB10 needs to fix. Sales really have nothing to do with it as Samsung's skin looks far worse then stock Android yet it's the top selling Android phone.

It's just that Samsung and iPhones got big first and thus have a huge advantage over everyone else.
    Breezygirl8 likes this.
    11-14-13 09:24 AM
    Jolla Sailfish really looks fresh and good.
    As for BlackBerry being dated, I don't think so. However, it looks like a tool. So it feels for mechanic, but it gets the job done efficiently.

It may become stake though, so refinements are welcome! Yup, BlackBerry express really looks different and it has more character, even the app icon looks very different from normal BlackBerry App icons.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 09:24 AM
    I can see why BlackBerry wants to concentrate on proconsumers. Busy people do not have time to dwell on "dull" quick menu settings. I think users like amjass12;9539690 are perfect for ios / androiD.

By the way the only true unique looking phone os is windows

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    Phones and the services they require to function fully cost way too much to settle for something that is barely good enough compared to the competition. This includes aesthetics.

Also, for those clueless people upthread, iOS 7 basically redid the entire design language of iOS. Just because they don't want to alienate their users by completely changing the Navigation and basic UI organization in their operating system does not mean it is simply more of the same. In addition to the UI and design language, they did have quite a few other major changes (like for Multi-Tasking and Background Tasks) which make it a worthwhile upgrade.

Additionally, people buying the 5S aren't buying it for the fingerprint scanner. That's a perk. They're buying it for the same reason they bought the 5, 4S, 4, 3GS, and 3G - it's a better phone than it's predecessor, even if it still looks a lot like it. It's really that simple.

All ecosystems aim to lock you in. BBM doesn't interop with other messaging clients the way i.e. Y! Messenger and WLM used to interop, or the way Skype and FBC interop on the desktop. If you used BBM heavily and all your friends did you were tied to Blackberry. Didn't they used to call them Crackberries, BTW?

When BB was ruling the market here, no one cared if they were locked in. They're only now trying to use Lock-In as an excuse to bash other platforms since their own favorite is wailing in the marketplace.

iOS' UI is unique, to iOS. Samsung did borrow quite a bit from them, but they didn't clone it and they are still sticking to their own personal design language, like HTC and Google are. They (Apple) reinvented the smartphone market, pretty much, with their UI and product designs. The only difference is that others have moved to emulate them since then, due to their disruptive effect on the market. Google, and especially Samsung in earlier GS handsets are prime examples.

Windows Phone has unique design language. So does iOS. So does Samsung and HTC.

Metro was a superset of the design language used in the Zune products. It was not some brand spanking new Windows Phone 7 innovation/introduction, and there are major issues with Microsoft's design language (for example, inefficient use of screen real-estate has been a longstanding complaint for many users).
    11-14-13 09:26 AM
    I'm not sure I agree it looks dated, but after coming from IOS 7, it looks amazing!

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    11-14-13 09:33 AM
    Those icon borders need to go.
    Borders? Whatever do you mean?
    BlackBerry 10 already looking dated-background.png
    11-14-13 09:38 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Background.png 
Views:	570 
Size:	205.7 KB 
ID:	220712
    Aha! That doesn't count.

Posted via CB10
    bombastic likes this.
    11-14-13 09:43 AM
    I just think some people start threads with certain topics just to stir up controversy....or to get likes....or thanks....or to have a trending topic..it makes them feel good.....I started this post to get likes and/thank yous...so what the hell
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    11-14-13 09:55 AM
    It's just your personal preference and may not represent everyone else. I personally have no issues with all the different flavors; as a matter of fact it kinda gingers things up for me. Plus the light or dark themes are optional so if you don't like it, don't use it.

For the avoidance of doubt, I LOVE how BlackBerry 10 works. This is why I am so passionate about things being done right. I show my phone off all the time to everyone, I want people to buy into this but the way the UI looks is starting to frustrate me.

Case in point. 10.2.

Okay, so, the Hub is black text on white.

I go into my BBM messages, which I have set to dark theme, everything instantly looks different. In BBM with dark theme, I am typing black text into a white box. When I hit send it, it become white text in a grey box on a black background.

Now, I am in an app. I get an Instant Preview. This is black text on a white box. I go to reply to it...and now I am typing white text into a black box.

So, accessing/replying to THE SAME THING is presented with THREE completely different colour schemes. And now with BlackBerry Express, which looks great, we seem to have a new thing of white text on colourful boxes.

Like I said, I LOVE the way the OS works. It just seems with each new absolutely great function that BlackBerry release, it's becoming less and less consistent and unless it all gets reined in soon, it will become too much of a mess to fix.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 10:01 AM
    Yes I can say BB10 looks good but it does need to be polished in a few areas. I think they should add some more color to areas including the lock screen and get rid of icon shadows but in no way does that mean it looks dated.

In my opinion BB10 looks better then IOS although I will admit that IOS is more consistent which BB10 needs to fix. Sales really have nothing to do with it as Samsung's skin looks far worse then stock Android yet it's the top selling Android phone.

It's just that Samsung and iPhones got big first and thus have a huge advantage over everyone else.
    If that's your opinion and that's what u think then ur entitled to it! Good luck convincing people though... I agree android and ios got there first. blackberry still haven't caught up though

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 10:01 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Background.png 
Views:	570 
Size:	205.7 KB 
ID:	220712
    Dude,
    You stole my background!

That's what I am talking about, battery saver black.

There are passenger for every train, the crackberry train halls milions of prosummers. We not gonna let some thirsty for colors users with boring daily life insult the only business tool mobile platform out there.

11-14-13 10:07 AM
    I think bb10 devices are hot sleek and work perfectly
    11-14-13 10:08 AM
    I'm not even a BB fanboy and I think BB10 looks way better than Android. I own the Nexus 5 and think while the UI is perhaps more "modern", it's not something I want. I like BB10's font - every other platform tries to go for something thin, but Slate Pro is slightly thicker. It's easy to read and it looks good! In 10.2 they flattened a lot of the components (compare the buttons for example). The only component that isn't flat is the titlebar, but I wouldn't want it to be.

Anyway, now I'm trying to sell my Nexus 5 and stick to my BB Z10. 10.2 is awesome, but 10.2.1 will be even better.
    11-14-13 10:11 AM
266 ... 23456 ...