Those icon borders need to go. The active tiles need some work as well. Overall, the OS is quite functional, but it does need some refinement. It is still early in the game, though. So, I think all of that is coming soon. Also, the dark theme should be consistent. I want it EVERYWHERE.
    Mel25 and R Field like this.
    11-13-13 05:33 PM
    BlackBerry 10 doesn't look dated, it just looks like a work in progress which really, it is.
    That applies to all OS's. All of them are evolving, adding features, fixing things even adding more prettiness when needed lol :P

Sure, BB10 will improve over time.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    11-13-13 05:36 PM
    It is a work in progress. I hope the UI gains some consistency but right now I will take function over consistency every time. I hope the power of QNX eventually allows the UI significant flexibility to the end user. These are personal devices and I should dictate how the UI works with me.
    Tim Heard likes this.
    11-13-13 05:48 PM
    Have any of you seen 10.2.1? I think the OS is moving in the right direction. It gets work done. Nothing else matters!

Posted via CB10
    ssinghb and wincyUt like this.
    11-13-13 05:56 PM
    From having to know which apps have the settings from the top swipe or the right 'three dots' menu to some actions causing toast notifications or the huge and ugly 'system' popups, it all seems, 10 months down the road, a bit of a mess.
    Something I'd love to know is why BlackBerry broke their own UI rules in both the Hub and the Browser by having Settings in the overflow menu instead of revealed by swiping down from the top.

Anybody care to explain that one for them?!

I find the big white dialog boxes with the big blue title bar to be very reminiscent of Windows 3.1 , I'd love to see all of them get the Dark Theme treatment in future. Let's have more black in BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    Akuji_ism and Davidro1 like this.
    11-13-13 06:06 PM
    Lol yep of course a troll for stating his opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    That's the kinda reply I give when I see a ridiculous subject followed by a long rant I don't even Wana read. Guess your subject title was off. When I used my note 3 and ip5s and I try swipping back from apps I'm feeling those platforms are dated.
    11-13-13 06:07 PM
    I think the Iphone os looks the most dated to me, everytime i use it i am like "its the os my 3gs had with a few other nick nacks"
    Breezygirl8 likes this.
    11-13-13 06:34 PM
    BlackBerry looking dated, what a ridiculous statement!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 07:23 PM
    The more utilitarian the better IMHO

Z10 10.2.0.1791 via CB10
    11-13-13 07:34 PM
    @ newfie1974
    Sorry but you sound more like a fanatic. Sacha is just stating his/her opinion. I too would like to see more vivid colors ... in the near future.
    The so called complaints as you call them, are our God given right as BB supporters. TAT showed us much more is possible with our so much loved BB10. In this case: eye candy wise.

Complaining about 'complaints' should be part of your bull S**T filter as well ... but that's just my opinion.
    rnhld and sacha_is_good like this.
    11-13-13 07:34 PM
    There are a few things that could be changed and updated but in no way do I think it's outdated. They already said they would drop the icon background which I defended before but now agree it should go.

I don't really care for the pop-up window. The PlayBook version was better and they need more consistency between apps. They should just drop the swipe down and put everything in the overflow menu.

Would also like a little more color like bbos or the PlayBook. I think the lock screen is too white. Those icons need some color but that's about it.

Ios and it's care bear look is just kinda of awful to me though. Not sure how it can be liked. That background on the quick setting menu is just bad.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by matt4pack; 11-13-13 at 08:14 PM.
    11-13-13 07:42 PM
    The only reason why you guys think BB10 is dated is because it still uses gradients and gloss which they're too dependent on to hold their design consistency together.

What we need are solid colors, SOLID COLORS ERRYWHERE.
    bombastic likes this.
    11-13-13 07:46 PM
    Personally, it would have been nice if (after two years) BlackBerry 10 could have launched earlier this year with OS 10.2.1.xxx. IMO who knows if that would have helped sales. Definitely wouldn't have hurt them and, by now, the OS would have been more mature with the rate of the past OS leaks. Just my .02.

Sent from my Q10
    Crackberrykills likes this.
    11-13-13 07:57 PM
    BlackBerry looking dated, what a ridiculous statement!!!

Posted via CB10
    the op Is looking dated.
    wincyUt likes this.
    11-13-13 09:28 PM
    I feel like a bit of a heretic for saying this but I can't be the only one out there thinking it - BlackBerry 10 already looks incredibly dated.

Now, I'm not saying anything else out there looks much better but iOS7 really does look much more CONSISTENT.

From having to know which apps have the settings from the top swipe or the right 'three dots' menu to some actions causing toast notifications or the huge and ugly 'system' popups, it all seems, 10 months down the road, a bit of a mess.

The big thing that made me think this was BlackBerry Express. It looks uniquely BlackBerry 10...and not at all. For us that know BlackBerry 10 well, it has all the hallmarks of a BlackBerry 10 app. But then, and try this, peak into the Hub. They don't look anything alike! And both are BlackBerry made! Just think how happy so many of us are to even have the dark theme! We shouldn't be settling for that!

I'm not asking for a UI that is full of colour but visuals mixed with simplicity help. BlackBerry Express demonstrates this perfectly. I just really hope with 10.2.1 onwards, we start to see a fresher and more consistent UI across the board. The system works but I think we can all agree the presentation doesn't half need a shake up. Those of us who now can't live without BlackBerry 10 as our chosen OS deserve it.

Posted via CB10
    Really!!! Wow!! Well, to each his own and BB10 works just fine for me. But this thread got me thinking... in comparison, iOS hadn't really changed in the past 6+ years. But, Apple claims they "Changed Everything! Again!!!" - as far as I know it has barely happened once , with iOS7, which, other than the "gay" colors added very little by way of functionality. But heck, since they claim they "Changed Everything" it must be true - atleast to the iOS sheep!!
    Haven't tried the Android / Windows platforms so can't really comment on them.
    BB10 is by no means perfect or flawless, but (atleast in my opinion) does not look dated. It is relatively new and every iteration seems to be making it better - significantly and I am willing to give it a chance. Not every one has to agree with me - I dont really care what the other guy / gal has.
    /*EDIT*/
    Sorry, It does sound like a rant :-)
    Breezygirl8 likes this.
    11-13-13 10:06 PM
    Better the business suit than the nerdy neon-coloured tee shirt with the stupid saying.

Just say'n. I personally like it a lot.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by chaz95; 11-13-13 at 10:36 PM.
    11-13-13 10:15 PM
    Looking at TAT's other demos, BB10 looks ordinary. It does work solid and the features are great. 10.2.1 is a great improvement. I just hope BB relaxes TAT to bring in nice cool UI over haul. It is required to bring in young crowd into BB10 family.
    11-13-13 10:16 PM
    I really want to see TAT come up with a flat ui design for BB10 with more colour.
    A lot of the TAT team they purchased have left BB to start their own new company, Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    11-13-13 11:12 PM
    Have any of you seen 10.2.1? I think the OS is moving in the right direction. It gets work done. Nothing else matters!

Posted via CB10
    If BB could sell 5M phones to teenagers who don't "work" or only 500k to you people, they'd kill to be able to sell those 5M phones.

Keep on with the "tools not toys." it will only help perpetuate the bad reputation they have accrued, which is why this platform struggles even though it is a massive improvement over legacy.

I think BB's enthusiast base is one of its worse assets at the moment, because these attitudes really turn the people who control this market off.

Also the font they use in BB10 (in the UI) is terrible and needs to be replaced with something that doesn't look as bad.

rnhld and dezzilak like this.
    11-13-13 11:17 PM
    A lot of the TAT team they purchased have left BB to start their own new company, Lol.

Actually, no. Unless you count seven of 200 people as "a lot".

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    11-13-13 11:21 PM
    Actually, no. Unless you count seven of 200 people as "a lot".

Posted via CB10
    You're assuming all talent is equal talent, which is false. Leaders are worth more. It's why CEOs make more than assembly workers.

11-13-13 11:22 PM
    Also the font they use in BB10 (in the UI) is terrible and needs to be replaced with something that doesn't look as bad.

I actually like the font, but I wouldn't mind a bit of customisation like on BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 11:23 PM
    I actually like the font, but I wouldn't mind a bit of customisation like on BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    Of course you do. That goes without saying. Several reviews have mentioned the dated look of the poor font choice they made, however.

They don't need customization, they need a better font...

11-13-13 11:24 PM
    Of course you do. That goes without saying. Several reviews have mentioned the dated look of the poor font choice they made, however.

What do you mean, "of course I do?"

How is the typeface a poor choice? Dated? Nahhh...

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 11:26 PM
    What do you mean, "of course I do?"

How is the typeface a poor choice? Dated? Nahhh...

Posted via CB10
    It means I don't expect you to say anything other than you like it. That's usually what that expression means when used in that way in that context.

I'm well aware of where I am, and I have read the thread. All of it. The OP basically got roasted and half you people are talking about how something works when he's talking about how something looks.

He is also not the first person to make note of the dated look of BlackBerry 10's user interface.

The UI inconsistencies exist in their apps on other platforms like BBM on Android. They are just bad at this stuff.

Designing a few apps is not the same as maintaining consistency across an entire OS and suite of apps. People expect continuity across an OS and 1st party apps.

BB has done poorly with that compared to Apple and MS. Google is trying to fix their issues in that department, cause they were pretty bad at it, as well.

The font is a poor choice because it looks like an old font from an old computer. Couple that with the odd icons/icon decoration, somber color themes, confusing gestures, and inconsistent navigation in places, etc. in a carrier store where the device will be sitting next to others that don't make the purchaser want to fall asleep looking at it on throw it into the wall while getting frustrated trying to use it. Aesthetics matter, and in the quest to be innovative they threw away everything most users know about operating these devices, which also handicaps them as a result.

These phones typically have 10-20 minutes to sell themselves, even less if the Rep happens to be pushing competition to the customers.

Last edited by n8ter#AC; 11-13-13 at 11:40 PM.
    11-13-13 11:28 PM
266 1234 ...