I feel like a bit of a heretic for saying this but I can't be the only one out there thinking it - BlackBerry 10 already looks incredibly dated.

Now, I'm not saying anything else out there looks much better but iOS7 really does look much more CONSISTENT.

From having to know which apps have the settings from the top swipe or the right 'three dots' menu to some actions causing toast notifications or the huge and ugly 'system' popups, it all seems, 10 months down the road, a bit of a mess.

The big thing that made me think this was BlackBerry Express. It looks uniquely BlackBerry 10...and not at all. For us that know BlackBerry 10 well, it has all the hallmarks of a BlackBerry 10 app. But then, and try this, peak into the Hub. They don't look anything alike! And both are BlackBerry made! Just think how happy so many of us are to even have the dark theme! We shouldn't be settling for that!

I'm not asking for a UI that is full of colour but visuals mixed with simplicity help. BlackBerry Express demonstrates this perfectly. I just really hope with 10.2.1 onwards, we start to see a fresher and more consistent UI across the board. The system works but I think we can all agree the presentation doesn't half need a shake up. Those of us who now can't live without BlackBerry 10 as our chosen OS deserve it.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 04:20 PM
    Well, I'm going to agree with the op in some respects. BB10 does in some ways look dated, it could look better. The icons and the shade area around them are not particularly pretty. The active frames are very angular.

THIS looks fresh and modern -

BlackBerry 10 already looking dated-160581351.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by pkcable; 11-15-13 at 03:39 PM.
    11-13-13 04:32 PM
    dunno ....looks fine to me. I'm more concerned with how it works anyway, and until someone else comes up with easy hub access, BB10 will be king for me
    11-13-13 04:35 PM
    I seriously couldn't care less, I like BB10 the way it is now, if they update the UI I'm pretty sure I'll like it too, but it's fine like that, and very functional
    ssinghb, LWKING, Otech#CB and 18 others like this.
    11-13-13 04:39 PM
    Well, I'm going to agree with the op in some respects. BB10 does in some ways look dated, it could look better. The icons and the shade area around them are not particularly pretty. The active frames are very angular.

THIS looks fresh and modern -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	160581351.jpg 
Views:	10182 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	220392

Posted via CB10
    I'm don't agree with BB10 looking dated, but will admit Jolla Sailfish OS looks wicked! I'm getting me one of those babies to play with in the future!

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 04:39 PM
    I don't think it looks dated, I think it looks understated but classic. Like the little black dress of the smartphone world.

But, not everyone has to like the same things.
    11-13-13 04:42 PM
    BB10 is for a certain audience. It's more function than form. The folks that make the OS are not concerned that there are more sexy looking UI options. I don't think BB10 needs to be sexier, but I can get onside with a more uniform approach and the addition of some elements that start to break away from the BB that became too old and stiff for the masses.

BB10 is not old looking, but it is not a stylized UI, and it never will be.
    11-13-13 04:43 PM
    BB10 looks DATED!? WHAT!? I don't even think BB6 and BB7 look dated! Maybe i'm just too much of a fan of BB software.....I've used BB6, BB7 and then went to iOS, Android, Windows Phone and right back to BB6 and then to BB10....to me, BB10 is the best and smoothest OS I have used.....the Blackberry hub is MILES ahead of notification center on iOS and the widgets on Android.....yea, you can use widgets for mail, facebook, twitter, etc..on Android....but you still have to look at EACH widget...and some widgets are big meaning you get 2 or 3 widgets on a screen and you have to scroll to another screen to see more....on my Z10, i can see 8 notifications from multiple services at ONCE.....just by peeking into the Blackberry Hub, i can see an email from my mother, 2 facebook IM conversations and a few FaceBook comments and posts! that's w/o having to check any other screen or app....its quick...I see WHO posts, what group they posted in and what time.....BB10 is not even a year old...how can it look "dated"?.....iOS has had the same design since 2007 minutes a few visual updates....anyone that has used the original iPhone could pick up an iPhone 5S and feel as if they never left it.....Android offers more customization and doesn't really get old b/c you can change so much of it.....BB10 is too new to "be dated"....If it ain't broke, don't fix it.....
    fanisk, ssinghb, zensen and 10 others like this.
    11-13-13 04:44 PM
    For the avoidance of doubt, I LOVE how BlackBerry 10 works. This is why I am so passionate about things being done right. I show my phone off all the time to everyone, I want people to buy into this but the way the UI looks is starting to frustrate me.

Case in point. 10.2.

Okay, so, the Hub is black text on white.

I go into my BBM messages, which I have set to dark theme, everything instantly looks different. In BBM with dark theme, I am typing black text into a white box. When I hit send it, it become white text in a grey box on a black background.

Now, I am in an app. I get an Instant Preview. This is black text on a white box. I go to reply to it...and now I am typing white text into a black box.

So, accessing/replying to THE SAME THING is presented with THREE completely different colour schemes. And now with BlackBerry Express, which looks great, we seem to have a new thing of white text on colourful boxes.

Like I said, I LOVE the way the OS works. It just seems with each new absolutely great function that BlackBerry release, it's becoming less and less consistent and unless it all gets reined in soon, it will become too much of a mess to fix.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 04:47 PM
    Dear Crackberry, Can you please put a bull S**T filter on your forums? Not just for this person.. but for all who does nothing but complain. BB is working hard to rebuild. BB10 is still so new.. why dont we just give it time to grow. Every update makes BB10 even better. Lets give it another year before we start bit**ing about every little thing we think isnt good enough. Maybe they think Rome was built in a day...

LONG LIVE BB!! Love my Z10.. and every update. Keep up the great work BlackBerry.
    11-13-13 04:49 PM
    I wouldn't say dated, but maybe there could be some visual changes, icons on active frame look too simple to me.. maybe some font updates but small changes in the end

Posted via my z10 - BBM channel pin C000F331C
    H_O_Boomaye and bombastic like this.
    11-13-13 04:52 PM
    I wouldn't say dated, but maybe there could be some visual changes, icons on active frame look too simple to me.. maybe some font updates but small changes in the end

Absolutely this. The small changes that just mean that things look consistent across the board.

And this is for pretty much everyone who might see this, I am NOT SLAMMING BlackBerry 10 and I really don't think there's any harm in saying where things seem to have been overlooked.

Posted via CB10
    lotuslanderz and branflakes like this.
    11-13-13 04:57 PM

Yes , I'd agree with this. No major overhaul required just some fine tuning.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 05:03 PM
    Regardless of whether or not it's dated, inconsistent, etc. it doesn't give me motion sickness, it isn't flatter than Saskatchewan and it isn't full of Helvetica. That's a win in my book.
    11-13-13 05:05 PM
    I'm don't agree with BB10 looking dated, but will admit Jolla Sailfish OS looks wicked! I'm getting me one of those babies to play with in the future!

Posted via CB10
    Hoping to get mine in time for Xmas

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 05:05 PM
    Not dated....but they can definitely improve upon a few things (or bring back from playbook):

being able to consistently access global device settings from within any app....just like playbook
    make in app settings more consistent. (between swiping down and three dots menus and bottom action items)

but looking at 10.2.1.1055....they are on the right track...if not ahead..
    11-13-13 05:09 PM
    BlackBerry 10 doesn't look dated, it just looks like a work in progress which really, it is.
    11-13-13 05:14 PM
    I really want to see TAT come up with a flat ui design for BB10 with more colour.
    Easy-G and Akuji_ism like this.
    11-13-13 05:22 PM
    I don't think it looks dated, I think it looks understated but classic. Like the little black dress of the smartphone world.

But, not everyone has to like the same things.
    If it's the little black dress then those icons with shadows just gave that dress shoulder pads. In my opinion of course.
    11-13-13 05:23 PM
    BlackBerry 10 doesn't look dated, it just looks like a work in progress which really, it is.
    Yeah, I think I ballsed up with the term 'dated' in the title. I completely agree that it's all part of a work in progress. It's just a little frustrating to see new features with ever better looking aspects being rolled out without addressing the existing parts.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 05:23 PM
    A home screen GUI change would be nice.
    11-13-13 05:24 PM
    "Dated" is purely subjective. However, 100% agree that concerted effort is needed to improve interface-consistency. Currently, there are several personalities competing for dominance; it's dark ... no wait hub is light ... change it? Can't. Email ... light. Text dark, BBM, dark.

That right there's enough to land a poor KKK member in the loonie bin!
    clickitykeys and h20work like this.
    11-13-13 05:25 PM
    Hey, stop making sense.
    Karan Mohal likes this.
    11-13-13 05:30 PM
    Posted via CB10 Now, I'm not saying anything else out there looks much better but iOS7 really does look much more CONSISTENT.
    It's consistent cause not much change year after year except for the pretty colors and now it zooms the display, were as bb10 changes every release.
    And i don't think bb10 looks dated At all.
    11-13-13 05:30 PM
    Let's get the base function in place, and pretty up the icons and colours later. The only time you need to do that is when you are not adding any extra functions but need it to look different...oh wait....sounds like something else.

BlackBerry is chugging along just fine as far as improving. The next update is adding even more options. Not even a year old yet.

BlackBerry forever, haters never!
    DJM626 likes this.
    11-13-13 05:31 PM
266 123 ...