If we completely wipe BlackBerry 10 device before 4 jan 2022 with BlackBerry I'd and all so will we be able to use device for calls and msgs only ?
    07-29-21 12:32 AM
    Only time will tell. My prediction is that nothing will change
    07-29-21 02:11 AM
    If we completely wipe BlackBerry 10 device before 4 jan 2022 with BlackBerry I'd and all so will we be able to use device for calls and msgs only ?
    This has been answered many times and to the best of my knowledge this is how it is:

You'll be able to use you device with the native apps that come with the installation, the native apps you sideload (bar-files) and the android apps you use to use (made for ART =< ver 4.3). A prerequisite is of course that the apps still works as expected, given their age.

When it comes to calling and messaging (sms) it is dependent of where you live. Is seems like in the USA 3g is disappearing soon, meaning it is unlikely that you will be able to call and message (as these functions need 3g on these devices, although it is 4g devices) . In Europe e.g., things go slower and 3g will probably be left longer, meaning you can use your device as usual, given the limitations above.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mikael11; 07-29-21 at 08:41 AM.
    rarsen and horia_m like this.
    07-29-21 06:11 AM
    This has been answered many times and for the best of my knowledge this is how it is:

You'll be able to use you device with the native apps that come with the installation, the native apps you sideload (bar-files) and the android apps you use to use (made for ART =< ver 4.3). A prerequisite is of course that the apps still works as expected, given their age.

When it comes to calling and messaging (sms) it is dependent of where you live. Is seems like in the USA 3g is disappearing soon, meaning it is unlikely that you will be able to call and message (as these functions need 3g on these devices, although it is 4g devices) . In Europe e.g., things go slower and 3g will probably be left longer, meaning you can use your device as usual, given the limitations above.

Posted via CB10
    Many thanks Mikael
    07-29-21 07:19 AM
    This has been answered many times and for the best of my knowledge this is how it is:

Posted via CB10
    It's been guessed at.... but till it happens or BlackBerry clearly answers the questions, it's just a guess.

Official Information is here.

While I agree BB10 should work to a degree... that isn't what BlackBerry seems to indicate.
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    07-29-21 07:32 AM
    It's been guessed at.... but till it happens or BlackBerry clearly answers the questions, it's just a guess.

Official Information is here.

While I agree BB10 should work to a degree... that isn't what BlackBerry seems to indicate.
    It's hard to not agree to that we cannot for sure know what is happening tomorrow. But BlackBerry's indications are very vague in my opinion. Not very surprisingly as they lump together bbos, playbook and bb10. So the recurring words "won't no longer reliably function" is just a measurement of the average functionality of these devices. (E.g. we know that playbook cannot be used without bbid, which makes its functionality zero. But they don't specify that.)

Posted via CB10
    horia_m likes this.
    07-29-21 09:08 AM
    It's hard to not agree to that we cannot for sure know what is happening tomorrow. But BlackBerry's indications are very vague in my opinion. Not very surprisingly as they lump together bbos, playbook and bb10. So the recurring words "won't no longer reliably function" is just a measurement of the average functionality of these devices. (E.g. we know that playbook cannot be used without bbid, which makes its functionality zero. But they don't specify that.)

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I really think each OS will be affected differently... and that BlackBerry should have put more effort into how this will impact each platforms users. But then maybe they know something we don't.

In the end, I wouldn't be shocked if the Servers don't keep operating a little longer. Let the US Carrier's be the bad guys.... I'd wait till first of 2023. Few users outside the US won't make enough noise to be heard... not that I think anyone would feel bad about a company they thought was out of business stopped supporting eight year old phones.

Prepare for the worst (they are bricks), and hope for the best (BlackBerry forgets to shutdown the servers).
    07-29-21 09:23 AM
    Yeah I really think each OS will be affected differently... and that BlackBerry should have put more effort into how this will impact each platforms users. But then maybe they know something we don't.

In the end, I wouldn't be shocked if the Servers don't keep operating a little longer. Let the US Carrier's be the bad guys.... I'd wait till first of 2023. Few users outside the US won't make enough noise to be heard... not that I think anyone would feel bad about a company they thought was out of business stopped supporting eight year old phones.

Prepare for the worst (they are bricks), and hope for the best (BlackBerry forgets to shutdown the servers).
    Maybe you're right about the servers, operating for yet another year, but it is risky to take that chance. If you want to minimize the risk for ending up with a brick I guess it's good to prepare oneself in the way the OP indicated; get independent of bbid and bb protect and do it before the d-date.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-21 09:35 AM
    Maybe you're right about the servers, operating for yet another year, but it is risky to take that chance. If you want to minimize the risk for ending up with a brick I guess it's good to prepare oneself in the way the OP indicated; get independent of bbid and bb protect and do it before the d-date.

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't be shocked, doesn't mean I hold out much faith that the route they'll go.

Really want to minimize risk.... move on to a new platform while you have some ability to transition.
    07-29-21 01:34 PM
    I wouldn't be shocked, doesn't mean I hold out much faith that the route they'll go.

Really want to minimize risk.... move on to a new platform while you have some ability to transition.
    I think most of is double carrying since quite some time. I always have an android in the other pocket or in my bag; although my z30 mostly is the primary phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-21 04:14 PM

If I had to guess, the servers hosting these systems are going to be out of maintenance by February. Also, a good chance the maintenance and management of the services & HW were outsources several years ago. I think BB Limited added a year or two on the management contract when BB10 went EOL. The reason - cheaper and easier to keep the services running than provide a final update BB10 update without any backend services. The support of a full BB10 release would be a nightmare.

I am sure the HW running these services are very old and moving to a new system would not be worth the effort. Bottom Line and think BB Limited is looking forward to have the HW and OS from their legacy past gone. They can't be faulted for lack of support BBL has kept these system going for a long time.

I could be wrong, but I know how expensive support for old servers can be and you can't have services running on server HW that is out of support.
    horia_m and app_Developer like this.
    08-04-21 03:04 PM
    As far as I read, (some of) the BB operating systems were using the BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) for MMS, email, BBM, and other functionality. So it could be that, when the BIS will be shut down, these phones, differently than other usual old phones (like eg Nokia...) will NOT be able to send MMS or emails. On the other hand, I imagine that the technical standards for phone calls over 2G or 3G are the same for any phone in this world, so as long as in your areas you still have 2G or 3G (in Europe, it's the case!), you probably will be able to use the Blackberry to make phone calls. Only in case your carrier has NO LONGER 3G or 2G, you will really have a problem (but this is not connected to the EOL problem of BB!). Also, I presume that SMS are sent in the same way, by any phone, using the same protocol (it works over an SMS central number, that is specific for each carrier), so normally you should be able to also send SMS. In case your blackberry has internet connectivity over 3G or 4G, you will be able to setup an email like gmail (setting up the IMAP servers from gmail, etc.) and to use the internet on a browser that you have on your phone - one that allows you to use the direct 3G or 4G data connection, not one that goes over a blackberry server.
    08-10-21 04:23 PM
    As far as I read, (some of) the BB operating systems were using the BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) for MMS, email, BBM, and other functionality. So it could be that, when the BIS will be shut down, these phones, differently than other usual old phones (like eg Nokia...) will NOT be able to send MMS or emails. On the other hand, I imagine that the technical standards for phone calls over 2G or 3G are the same for any phone in this world, so as long as in your areas you still have 2G or 3G (in Europe, it's the case!), you probably will be able to use the Blackberry to make phone calls. Only in case your carrier has NO LONGER 3G or 2G, you will really have a problem (but this is not connected to the EOL problem of BB!). Also, I presume that SMS are sent in the same way, by any phone, using the same protocol (it works over an SMS central number, that is specific for each carrier), so normally you should be able to also send SMS. In case your blackberry has internet connectivity over 3G or 4G, you will be able to setup an email like gmail (setting up the IMAP servers from gmail, etc.) and to use the internet on a browser that you have on your phone - one that allows you to use the direct 3G or 4G data connection, not one that goes over a blackberry server.
    Yeah, I briefly lost BIS service on my Bold 9900 last year. All the basic phone stuff still worked, just not anything regarding email and other things needing BIS. It makes it a dumb phone with PDT features. Luckily, BIS came back and I have a few months left on that Bold.

BB10 phones are another matter, they'll keep running until your carrier shuts down 3G.

Posted via CB10
    horia_m likes this.
    08-11-21 12:05 PM
    Yeah, I briefly lost BIS service on my Bold 9900 last year. All the basic phone stuff still worked, just not anything regarding email and other things needing BIS. It makes it a dumb phone with PDT features. Luckily, BIS came back and I have a few months left on that Bold.

BB10 phones are another matter, they'll keep running until your carrier shuts down 3G.

Posted via CB10
    ***** Provided the BBID issue has been addressed by device owner and doesn't present its own challenges
    08-11-21 12:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    ***** Provided the BBID issue has been addressed by device owner and doesn't present its own challenges
    And provided there isn't some unknown authentication process that occurs with the BlackBerry servers when trying to add email accounts.

Many of us can also remember a bizarre situation several years ago when a problem on the BlackBerry server prevented people from being able to use Wi-Fi on their devices.
    horia_m likes this.
    08-11-21 12:15 PM
    And provided there isn't some unknown authentication process that occurs with the BlackBerry servers when trying to add email accounts.

Many of us can also remember a bizarre situation several years ago when a problem on the BlackBerry server prevented people from being able to use Wi-Fi on their devices.
    In fact, there was a similar problem when Nokia withdraw some service related to symbian phones. WiFi quality was checked via a server and when that one closed down you got an annoying message and that very wifi connection was disconnected. It was solved with a hack, which might not be that easy on a blackberry. There was also a problem adding email accounts, solved in a similar way.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-21 12:39 PM
    Bottom line is hope for best but be prepared for what BlackBerry warns is coming....
    08-11-21 01:38 PM
    I am still using a Nokia (that resembles to a Blackberry), produced in 2005, with Symbian S60 OS. There is NO problem whatsoever to use email or any functions of the phone. The settings in a Nokia are simple, you just setup the email account as you would do in Outlook or Thunderbird on a computer (pop3 or imap incoming and outgoing servers). I did not have ever any trouble to use the Nokia, so I cannot confirm what you are saying about those problems that occured to some people when Nokia shut down some servers (and I am using the phone since about 2010) . Of course, Nokia closed its app shop, etc., but one can still find all apps he needs in other places of the web. There are email clients freely available (which were payed ones originally), browsers, even google maps works flawlessly on such an old phone.
    So, really, I would be more optimistic. Considering also the example of @EFats, which had lost BIS connection, but was able to use his phone normally.
    08-11-21 02:11 PM
    Bottom line: I consider it extremely arrogant and unfriendly how BB is now (NOT) communicating with its users. They simply issued a statement that could mean ANYTHING, instead of being specific.
    But if you read their statement stricto sensu, it means exactly what happens to Nokia - simply you loose all updating possibilities and the theoretical support, but anything else (not related to various server-connected apps of BB) will work normally.
    If one can use today Nokias from the years 2005-2011 without any trouble, why shouldn't it work for BB?
    Oh, you will say "BB had high security standards, we will loose them!" Oh yeah? And what about the encryption protocol in the GEA-1 algorithm that was used in ALL phones around the world in the last 20 years, and which was proved to be flawed on purpose? (just for the sake of allowing governments to sneak if necessary into your phone) So, with or without BB security activated, I don't really think that a BB phone is or was really uncrackable by those who are willing to break in. So, in fact, you won't loose much if BB stops their servers, I think...
    08-11-21 02:21 PM
    I presume you can setup and use accounts (email) without using the BBID. It is a matter of switching off some settings on the BB phone. Try to setup a gmail or hotmail account on a BB phone, without connecting that email account to the BB-email-server. I think it works. You can also try to deactivate all things that connect the BB phone with the BB servers, and see how your BB phone behaves WITHOUT the support of mother-blackberry-servers.
    08-11-21 02:25 PM
    Bottom line: I consider it extremely arrogant and unfriendly how BB is now (NOT) communicating with its users. They simply issued a statement that could mean ANYTHING, instead of being specific.
    But if you read their statement stricto sensu, it means exactly what happens to Nokia - simply you loose all updating possibilities and the theoretical support, but anything else (not related to various server-connected apps of BB) will work normally.
    If one can use today Nokias from the years 2005-2011 without any trouble, why shouldn't it work for BB?
    Oh, you will say "BB had high security standards, we will loose them!" Oh yeah? And what about the encryption protocol in the GEA-1 algorithm that was used in ALL phones around the world in the last 20 years, and which was proved to be flawed on purpose? (just for the sake of allowing governments to sneak if necessary into your phone) So, with or without BB security activated, I don't really think that a BB phone is or was really uncrackable by those who are willing to break in. So, in fact, you won't loose much if BB stops their servers, I think...
    I don't see it as it could mean anything....

"On January 4, 2022, devices running on these service offerings will no longer reliably function, including for data, phone calls, SMS and 9-1-1 functionality. We have chosen to extend our service until then as an expression of thanks to our loyal partners and customers."

The question I see is. Is it really as bad as stated?, and Does it apply equally to all three platforms?

We could go around and around on what we think it means.... WE don't know.
    08-11-21 03:50 PM
    it is quite simple, theoretically: one has to test how a BB 10 phone behaves if you cut the connections to the bb-servers. Then you can test the situation...
    As stated here or in another thread, there are people that had temporary disconnection to the BIS server, and their phone was still working fine (except the services connected to BIS).
    08-11-21 04:44 PM
    I don't see it as it could mean anything....

We could go around and around on what we think it means.... WE don't know.
    The statement is, if you consider another part of it, is a bit different and the key words are: "These devices will lack the ability to receive over the air provisioning updates and as such, this functionality will no longer be expected to reliably function".
    This sound more like a problem related to updates etc., and to servers. Which are not vital, in the end. The nokia phones had also a lot of things that were working over nokia servers (like the nokia maps!). They still function, and they can use now, instead of nokia maps, a google map app (very old one, but who cares? the maps are contemporary, retrieved from the google maps servers).
    08-11-21 04:49 PM
    there are a lot of proofs that the BB phones will be able to work after the EOL of the BB-servers!
    here is a detailed guide to setup a BB Bold without using BIS, simply like you would use any non-BB smartphone!
    It clearly proves that it works, at least without BIS.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ut-bis-996682/
    SonyainTx likes this.
    08-11-21 05:19 PM
    I am still using a Nokia (that resembles to a Blackberry), produced in 2005, with Symbian S60 OS. There is NO problem whatsoever to use email or any functions of the phone. The settings in a Nokia are simple, you just setup the email account as you would do in Outlook or Thunderbird on a computer (pop3 or imap incoming and outgoing servers). I did not have ever any trouble to use the Nokia, so I cannot confirm what you are saying about those problems that occured to some people when Nokia shut down some servers (and I am using the phone since about 2010) . Of course, Nokia closed its app shop, etc., but one can still find all apps he needs in other places of the web. There are email clients freely available (which were payed ones originally), browsers, even google maps works flawlessly on such an old phone.
    So, really, I would be more optimistic. Considering also the example of @EFats, which had lost BIS connection, but was able to use his phone normally.
    I'm not going to argue about the Symbian case, but the situation for many of us got a more permanent solution by using a custom software - especially Delight - in fact there has been a final release now http://ovi.h1n.ru/delight/ .
    The image I attached show among other things the hack to allow a stable Wi-Fi connection, by redirecting to another server which was setup for the purpose.

I also add this reference to the email problem http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...ew_mailbox.php

BlackBerry 10 after 4 JAN 2022?-screenshot_20210812-053550.jpg
    08-11-21 10:53 PM
57 123