Fool me once shame on you (Chen), fool me twice can't put the blame on you.

BlackBerry 10 sales will come to a screeching halt if Chen doesn't put out a update with some meat on it. No one will care about any future updates any more. He'll lose any potential sales of any BlackBerry Android. Samsung will make all the money. Chen would have lost all trust.

TMO  PP SE,SQW100-4/10.3.2.2876
    Samsung is already making all the money. 10.3.3 will not have any "meat" whatsoever. Did you seriously think it would?
    08-07-16 06:03 PM
    Unfortunately, I agree with your analysis. Although, giving loyal BB10 customers the cold shoulder with poor support isn't the kind of word of mouth marketing you need to win over new BlackBerry Android customers.
    Two maintenance releases is not the "cold shoulder", it's a fairly decent sunset for a failed product.
    08-07-16 06:12 PM
    Unfortunately, I agree with your analysis. Although, giving loyal BB10 customers the cold shoulder with poor support isn't the kind of word of mouth marketing you need to win over new BlackBerry Android customers.
    I'd say it was more the market that gave Blackberry the cold shoulder. You can't expect them to keep pouring money, and losing it, into something that failed.
    08-07-16 06:35 PM
    I'd say it was more the market that gave Blackberry the cold shoulder. You can't expect them to keep pouring money, and losing it, into something that failed.
    I can't argue with the facts of market share, but I do contest the wisdom in pursuing any new handset business while angering a significant percent of your existing loyal customer base.
    08-07-16 07:43 PM
    I can't argue with the facts of market share, but I do contest the wisdom in pursuing any new handset business while angering a significant percent of your existing loyal customer base.
    Seems it cant be helped. If they were loyal customers they would buy the android offerings. They get two maintenance releases and if they don't like it they can lump it. All this talk of loyalty is just silly.
    08-07-16 08:02 PM
    Two maintenance releases is not the "cold shoulder", it's a fairly decent sunset for a failed product.
    When we get those supposed updates we can count then, but they are way behind keeping up with their commitment, which is the cold shoulder. So far the sunset you're talking about is pure lip service.
    08-07-16 08:02 PM
    When we get those supposed updates we can count then, but they are way behind keeping up with their commitment, which is the cold shoulder. So far the sunset you're talking about is pure lip service.
    Fair enough.
    But you are loyal so enjoy.
    08-07-16 08:09 PM
    Seems it cant be helped. If they were loyal customers they would buy the android offerings. They get two maintenance releases and if they don't like it they can lump it. All this talk of loyalty is just silly.
    There's a difference between loyal customers buying replacements and fanboys buying anything new. The 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 will make or break many BB10 customers decision on buying BlackBerry again. Loyalty and commitment is a two way street.
    08-07-16 08:09 PM
    There's a difference between loyal customers buying replacements and fanboys buying anything new. The 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 will make or break many BB10 customers decision on buying BlackBerry again. Loyalty and commitment is a two way street.
    So the precise timing of an utterly inconsequential update will make or break it for BlackBerry Android sales to current BB10 users?
    08-07-16 08:12 PM
    So the precise timing of an utterly inconsequential update will make or break it for BlackBerry Android sales to current BB10 users?
    Precise timing? A few days or weeks off, or if you're really generous a few months off might be within margin of error, but nearly 6 months off is not infignificant.

If BlackBerry can't keep its comments, especially to those who took a chance on BlackBerry with BB10, then yeah why would those customers take another chance with BlackBerry. Customers don't owe BlackBerry a second chance. Arrogance and entitlement don't gain, let alone keep, market share.
    08-07-16 08:31 PM
    Precise timing? A few days or weeks off, or if you're really generous a few months off might be within margin of error, but nearly 6 months off is not infignificant.

If BlackBerry can't keep its comments, especially to those who took a chance on BlackBerry with BB10, then yeah why would those customers take another chance with BlackBerry. Customers don't owe BlackBerry a second chance. Arrogance and entitlement don't gain, let alone keep, market share.
    I think I might have mentioned that they don't care about... NUTS!
    08-07-16 08:36 PM
    I have to agree with you on this one. I fully understand that people want the latest and greatest in a phone, but with BlackBerry 10 we get what we get and say thank you. If somebody don't like it, either buy a new BlackBerry that runs on android so you get your updates or buy a different company phone. I do agree with those who say I bought your product, and I want support, but to get angry and rant about how loyal we are (blah blah blah and BlackBerry don't care blah blah blah) come on people BlackBerry has to focus now on saving and making money not spending time on a BlackBerry 10 that only a handful of people still use! It's not that BlackBerry abandoned us the "loyal" customer, it's that they need to keep everyone happy those of us already on the board and those who want to hop on board. Those who are so loyal to BlackBerry are not going anywhere with or without an update, those who ain't are going if not already gone.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    08-07-16 08:48 PM

But you were explicitly told last October that the two minor updates would be security and privacy patches - the first of which is centered around NIAP certification, which is utterly irrelevant for consumers. Why do you even care remotely about it?

The update has been sitting on NIAP's desk for a long, long time now. BlackBerry has no control over that. It may have even bounced back at them a couple of times, requiring further work they never anticipated.
    08-07-16 08:49 PM
    Make or break is pretty strong, but I could see "influence" as being appropriate. Unfortunately, BlackBerry has a long history of over promising and under delivering, so this is just keeping with an old tradition. I'm sitting here with several BB10 devices, really unsure of where I go next. Android? An iPhone? Or one of the two BlackBerry/Android hybrids?

Other than the BlackBerry/Android hybrids, I have all of the above in the stable, so I'm fairly familiar with their limitations and capabilities. I'm also aware which companies follow through on commitments. Were BlackBerry to actually honor their commitments, I could be swayed in their direction.

But then I glance over at the Playbook lying next to my Passport and Z30...
    08-07-16 09:44 PM
    We are committed to BlackBerry 10

"End of support for BlackBerry blend"

Software Support Lifecycle - United States
    http://us.blackberry.com/support/bus...ife-cycle.html
    08-08-16 04:27 AM

what?
    08-08-16 05:59 AM
    The update has been sitting on NIAP's desk for a long, long time now. BlackBerry has no control over that. It may have even bounced back at them a couple of times, requiring further work they never anticipated.
    I don't believe this. Maybe NIAP has had it for a couple weeks, or a month. But it's not like they've had it for months and months. For sure not since March.

Based on the 10.3.3 Dev beta that BlackBerry released at the start of June. The Dev beta is incomplete, buggy, missing half the built-in apps. And that came at the start of June.

There is no way BlackBerry had anything remotely ready to send to NIAP in January or February, in preparation for their original March release date.

And likewise, based on what they released in the Dev beta at the start of June, there's no way they were going to have anything ready for a June release.

Maybe they sent something incomplete for NIAP approval and got rejected. Or maybe they finally finished working on 10.3.3 last month and just sent it out in July. (Though if that's the case, why not a second Dev beta?)

Or (the pesimistic opinion) maybe Chen realized he doesn't actually have to spend money working on 10.3.3 when he can string people along indefinitely by just telling the faithful it's "coming soon" and he's "fully committed" to it.

Personally I think blaming the delay on NIAP was a convenient scapegoat, but Chen won't be able to keep using it as an excuse.
    08-08-16 07:19 AM

http://us.blackberry.com/support/bus...ife-cycle.html
    Great support!

Posted via CB10
    08-08-16 08:11 AM
    I don't believe this. Maybe NIAP has had it for a couple weeks, or a month. But it's not like they've had it for months and months. For sure not since March.

Based on the 10.3.3 Dev beta that BlackBerry released at the start of June. The Dev beta is incomplete, buggy, missing half the built-in apps. And that came at the start of June.

There is no way BlackBerry had anything remotely ready to send to NIAP in January or February, in preparation for their original March release date.

And likewise, based on what they released in the Dev beta at the start of June, there's no way they were going to have anything ready for a June release.

Maybe they sent something incomplete for NIAP approval and got rejected. Or maybe they finally finished working on 10.3.3 last month and just sent it out in July. (Though if that's the case, why not a second Dev beta?)

Or (the pesimistic opinion) maybe Chen realized he doesn't actually have to spend money working on 10.3.3 when he can string people along indefinitely by just telling the faithful it's "coming soon" and he's "fully committed" to it.

Personally I think blaming the delay on NIAP was a convenient scapegoat, but Chen won't be able to keep using it as an excuse.
    Developer builds are always missing most of those apps. That's how they've always been. Some have even been released well after the full working build. People seem to always stumble upon the Developer builds without knowing what that are doing or what they have.

There's even a 10.3.3.4xx build (I forget the actual build number) that been approved for North American GSM use but was never released by anyone.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-16 01:57 PM
    More people waiting for this update then for android phones, incredible the lack of shame to the loyalty BB10 users.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-16 02:17 PM
    More people waiting for this update then for android phones, incredible the lack of shame to the loyalty BB10 users.

Posted via CB10
    Please provide the source of your statistics. How many BB10 users require NIAP certification?
    08-08-16 02:49 PM
    Developer builds are always missing most of those apps. That's how they've always been. Some have even been released well after the full working build. People seem to always stumble upon the Developer builds without knowing what that are doing or what they have.

There's even a 10.3.3.4xx build (I forget the actual build number) that been approved for North American GSM use but was never released by anyone.

Posted via CB10
    So you're saying BlackBerry were ready for a March release but NIAP were the ones dragging their feet?

Or what exactly are you saying?
    08-08-16 04:20 PM
    Please provide the source of your statistics. How many BB10 users require NIAP certification?

I doubt anyone cares about the NIAP thing. If they did, they could have got a NIAP certified iPhone or Samsung back in February.

What some people do care about is this ongoing committment to BB10 that Chen has mentioned frequently but seems unable to deliver on.
    08-08-16 04:22 PM
    So you're saying BlackBerry were ready for a March release but NIAP were the ones dragging their feet?

Or what exactly are you saying?
    Well, put it this way. The PTCRB (https://www.ptcrb.com/index.cfm?Tab=Home). certifies mobile OSs for all North American GSM carriers. You'll usually see an OS show up there before a carrier releases it. Now, it could be a Canadian or U.S. carrier. And, any carrier may do their own testing - as most, including AT&T, do.

Way back before March, the PTCRB certified 10.3.3.441 (SR 10.3.3.293). And, since we've heard all along that there were no real noticeable feature changes or adds, then not much is different. Other than NIAP certification.

Apparently, BlackBerry thought it was far enough along back then to apply for the certifications. The PTCRB passed it. The NSA, or whoever is actually checking, apparently has not.

BlackBerry, meanwhile, continued building builds - including the Developer Beta, up into the 1000s. But we haven't seen a new build in weeks now - checking the "Spotted OS" thread.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-16 09:30 PM
    Mark the date: Aug 22. Coming from a reliable source.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-16 02:22 AM
591 ... 45678 ...