Still don't understand why common users neeeed updates... what's wrong with the deal you got right now? Damn thing is pretty rock solid out of the box. You need an update because ___________?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-16 09:43 PM
    Still don't understand why common users neeeed updates... what's wrong with the deal you got right now? Damn thing is pretty rock solid out of the box. You need an update because ___________?

Posted via CB10
    That's true of most common users on all platforms in my experience. Most of my friends use iPhones and I always hear from them when they get a notification for an update, lol.
    07-06-16 09:48 PM
    I've worked with several OSes since the Win 3.1 era. Got an interesting datapoint to share with you.

Every single time I chose to update things in the modern era, my OS deteriorated over time, regardless of the platform. Whenever I left the stock build alone, did not do updates, and only installed components as needed (and that too with strict control of OS modifications), my OS stayed fresh and crisp all the time, and the GUI always without lag.

As an engineer who ships real products, it's been counter intuitive to not update my OSes, but I've maintained a sane work environment across multiple platforms for years by following good discipline.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-16 10:02 PM
    I've worked with several OSes since the Win 3.1 era. Got an interesting datapoint to share with you.

Every single time I chose to update things in the modern era, my OS deteriorated over time, regardless of the platform. Whenever I left the stock build alone, did not do updates, and only installed components as needed (and that too with strict control of OS modifications), my OS stayed fresh and crisp all the time, and the GUI always without lag.

As an engineer who ships real products, it's been counter intuitive to not update my OSes, but I've maintained a sane work environment across multiple platforms for years by following good discipline.

Posted via CB10
    Oh, I couldn't agree more about waiting to update. I learned the same lesson a few years ago.
    07-06-16 10:57 PM

So you're still using Windows 3.1? Interesting. How's that working out for you?
    07-07-16 06:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not everyone is the same, diff ppl want diff apps, features, configurations...Just because your needs and expectations are moderate does not make BB10 perfect device. And not everyone is ready to spend their free time on workarounds, sideloading etc etc. There would always be people who needs dark hub, Lithuanian lang support etc etc lol
    07-07-16 09:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    I hope you are not an IT person taking care of security of someone elses business network...
    07-07-16 09:33 AM
    Love this device!
    07-07-16 10:12 AM
    True

Posted via CB10
    07-07-16 03:14 PM
    So you're still using Windows 3.1? Interesting. How's that working out for you?
    It works, but the Internet is a b*tch. :-)

Not everyone is the same, diff ppl want diff apps, features, configurations...Just because your needs and expectations are moderate does not make BB10 perfect device. And not everyone is ready to spend their free time on workarounds, sideloading etc etc. There would always be people who needs dark hub, Lithuanian lang support etc etc lol
    For a Lithuanian user, that's big news, but for the other 98% of us, what huge difference does a dark hub make, or even something intangibly useful like the NIAP cert? For JoeAverage, whatever came out of the box is usually good enough. Of course there are fw/sw implementations that make for buggy hw and/or sw interaction. It makes sense to update your OS to fix such things when the release notes indicate so.

All I'm trying to say is, you don't neeed every update, especially for something as dated as BB10. For one, updating my Passport SE to the latest build resulted in a bug (can't uninstall Android and Amazon apps) that required reverting the Android runtime.

Every time an engineer touches a codebase to address a problem he is trying to fix, he introduces a high likelihood of breaking something that used to work before. Engineer wiggles some bit somewhere and makes a release without comprehending the consequences until after the fact, and millions suffer meanwhile. Just a reality of life.

p.s. Not trying to argue about updates & stuff - you gotta do what you gotta do, whatever your style is. I come from a product engineering background - hw, sw, fw, mech, the whole deal. Miss even one critical detail and you've released something that will pain the customers. Having been on the shipping side long enough, you learn to be wary on the receiving side is all. Have a good day friends.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kkoo; 07-07-16 at 08:20 PM.
    07-07-16 07:45 PM
    September.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-16 05:38 PM
    It works, but the Internet is a b*tch. :-)
    Posted via CB10
    Win 3.1 didn't have any TCP/IP stack so arguably it was at least secure. For TCP, you needed Windows for Workgroups to which you then had to add the MS TCP/IP support.
    Not straightforward without any internet services!
    07-09-16 01:15 AM
    Does anyone know what the hell the current Android Runtime version is on the Passport?

I don't want to update any apps if they will cease to work.

PS. I didn't see anything in the settings for this..

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    07-09-16 03:00 PM
    Does anyone know what the hell the current Android Runtime version is on the Passport?

I don't want to update any apps if they will cease to work.

PS. I didn't see anything in the settings for this..

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    For all 10.3.x BB10 phones, the runtime is Jellybean 4.3 (and always will be!)

Posted via CB10
    07-09-16 04:03 PM
    Thank You!!! :-)

Lol.. 'and always will be'..

Posted via CB10
    07-09-16 07:03 PM
    Who cares about 10.3.3? When can we expect 10.3.5?
    07-09-16 07:07 PM
    Who cares about 10.3.3? When can we expect 10.3.5?
    what about 10.4.3???? any ideas? in desperate need of it

 BlackBerry Z10
    07-10-16 10:50 AM
    BB 10.3.3 do come with great update. Dark hub, theme support, overclock CPU, widget, android 5 runtime, offline navigation just to name a few.

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    07-10-16 12:16 PM
    BB 10.3.3 do come with great update. Dark hub, theme support, overclock CPU, widget, android 5 runtime, offline navigation just to name a few.

Yeah you are absolutely right man....congratulations for making my day, i really should pay you for that jokes

 BlackBerry Z10
    07-10-16 12:18 PM
    August,2017 10.3.3

#ifyourereadingthisitstoolate
    Joey Hutchison likes this.
    07-10-16 12:49 PM
    I even stop following any news about 10.3.3, given that 10.3.2.2888 is working well. I do have an issue with BlackBerry Protect on my 10.3.3 Passport. I can't erase the phone. Even I succeed, the BlackBerry ID login required screen shows up again. I have tried three times, only in vain.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-16 12:42 AM
    Is the following accurate? Thanks!

07-11-16 05:57 AM
    Is the following accurate? Thanks!
    Of course not!

That was joke/trolling...

Posted via CB10
    07-11-16 09:09 AM
    #darkhubsmatter
    kvndoom likes this.
    07-11-16 09:30 AM
    #darkhubsmatter
    #allhubsmatter
    07-11-16 09:36 AM