Totally off topic but Beta failed in the market not because VHS 'had better marketing', but because Beta was too expensive and didn't have the same 'app ecosystem' aka available movies as VHS did.

When it first came out, Beta was unable to fit a full standard length movie onto one tape. So you needed two tapes to watch a standard movie - you had to stop in the middle of your film to swap tapes. That meant that the movie / media / packaging was more expensive, the product took up more room on the shelf, and the rental stores (back then movies were very expensive to buy, so you rented them usually) therefore had less money and less shelfspace for Beta titles, compared to VHS.

IIRC Sony also had higher licensing fees on Beta so other studios were less likely to release their films onto Beta, when it was cheaper to do so on VHS.

So while Beta might have had better audio-visual capabilities, it was not better in the price and convenience side of things, nor on the size of the available movie catalogue. VHS won in all of those areas, and its picture quality was "good enough" for the home video market.

IMHO it is a myth that Beta was better. It was better at one or two things, but in terms of the 'whole package', VHS was -- in the opinion of the general public -- the better choice. And consequently, VHS won.

FWIW eventually they did come out with a Beta that could fit a whole movie on one tape but too little, too late, the war was essentially over.
    DrBoomBotz, JeepBB and Invictus0 like this.
    11-06-16 11:35 AM
    Totally off topic but Beta failed in the market not because VHS 'had better marketing', but because Beta was too expensive and didn't have the same 'app ecosystem' aka available movies as VHS did.

When it first came out, Beta was unable to fit a full standard length movie onto one tape. So you needed two tapes to watch a standard movie - you had to stop in the middle of your film to swap tapes. That meant that the movie / media / packaging was more expensive, the product took up more room on the shelf, and the rental stores (back then movies were very expensive to buy, so you rented them usually) therefore had less money and less shelfspace for Beta titles, compared to VHS.

IIRC Sony also had higher licensing fees on Beta so other studios were less likely to release their films onto Beta, when it was cheaper to do so on VHS.

So while Beta might have had better audio-visual capabilities, it was not better in the price and convenience side of things, nor on the size of the available movie catalogue. VHS won in all of those areas, and its picture quality was "good enough" for the home video market.

IMHO it is a myth that Beta was better. It was better at one or two things, but in terms of the 'whole package', VHS was -- in the opinion of the general public -- the better choice. And consequently, VHS won.

FWIW eventually they did come out with a Beta that could fit a whole movie on one tape but too little, too late, the war was essentially over.
    Sounds like the history of BlackBerry 10 lol

Posted via CB10
    11-06-16 11:42 AM
    Sounds like the history of BlackBerry 10 lol

Posted via CB10
    It does indeed. Which is why it is important to remember that Sony was able to earn money from the Beta tape ecosystem up until a year ago. Far longer than any other video recording format. Maybe not as much total revenue as if they had become the consumer standard, but make money over the long term from a "commercial failure" is better than loosing money.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    11-06-16 12:26 PM
    It does indeed. Which is why it is important to remember that Sony was able to earn money from the Beta tape ecosystem up until a year ago. Far longer than any other video recording format. Maybe not as much total revenue as if they had become the consumer standard, but make money over the long term from a "commercial failure" is better than loosing money.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    God hear us please

Posted via CB10
    11-06-16 12:32 PM
    On topic, If BlackBerry 10.3.3 gives BlackBerry 10 Niap certification, what the heck Will 10.3.4 bring?

Posted via CB10
    11-06-16 12:35 PM
    On topic, If BlackBerry 10.3.3 gives BlackBerry 10 Niap certification, what the heck Will 10.3.4 bring?

Posted via CB10
    If it ever comes (which I highly doubt), maybe a few browser security updates, and a handful of minor bug fixes.
    11-06-16 01:03 PM
    So did the Beta Max, and even then the VHS stomped and killed Beta Max, being the Best not measures you any succes, look at Apple, their phones have weak specs at a super high price, They still sell more phones than Sony (this one wants to go Apple these days) and LG, and those two phones stomp the IPHONE in specs and even in price, but as I said, being the Best doesn't measures you any succes

Posted via CB10
    Apple brings you a consistent experience across all devices because the phone or tablet or watch will always be on the same OS version. Android is so ridiculously fragmented that you never know what's going to work. Bb10 is much closer to Apple's update model, and the tools exist for even carrier locked phones to get updates. What BlackBerry lacks of course is the app support. Like I say again and again, BlackBerry is an awesome OS but it totally crashed and burned as an ecosystem.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    11-06-16 01:06 PM
    I'm wondering what bugs are there in current version 10.3.2

I can't find at least one bug. It is more than stable

Can anybody list down the bugs that we have in current version?

Posted from Q10 via CB10
    Agreed, I haven't had any issues with the OS is fluid and works really nicely. I love it so much and will be with it till its last days (unless I win a DTEK50/60)

It's more about BlackBerry showing their commitment to the OS through updates that people want as opposed to their verbal commitment to the OS which means nothing at this stage.

Posted Via BlackBerry Noble OS 10.3.3
    11-06-16 01:31 PM
    Was watching a video a couple days ago and I think Marty Beard was speaking, and he said the launch was 'iminent'. Will be really interesting to know what that word means to BlackBerry. Hopefully we see a launch next week.

I'm not holding my breath though lol

Posted Via BlackBerry Noble OS 10.3.3
    11-06-16 01:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    Closure
    11-06-16 01:41 PM
    My only issues are: double-typing and it wakes up every time I drop it into my pocket because it thinks I'm swiping up.

The latter is more a design flaw. Cellninja's awesome app senses when it's in my pocket and locks it but without this, it would wake up almost everytime.

This OS seems pretty bullet proof to me. I still hate that BlackBerry is apparently dropping it since it can't figure out how to sell anything. Oh, it's not me! It's the product!

Posted via CB10
    What Cellninja app are you referring to?

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    11-06-16 02:19 PM

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    My understanding is that Beta was used as a professional audio recording media and that is what kept Sony making and selling Beta casette tapes.

And the anologous equivalent is that BlackBerry continues to sell QNX as a platform on which automobile companies build their in-car entertainment systems.

BB10, like the Betamax home video recorder, is IMHO, a thing of the past.
    11-06-16 02:36 PM
    Closure
    Maybe some kind of certification for the German gov.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-16 02:52 PM
    You can turn the Swipe to Wake off in the Display settings to avoid the problem...

Attachment 411450

Posted via CB10
    Then I stand corrected. It's a wonderful OS that should be maintained and marketed rather than undermined by inept statements by management.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-16 02:57 PM
    Then I stand corrected. It's a wonderful OS that should be maintained and marketed rather than undermined by inept statements by management.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly, but it's not happening sadly

Posted via CB10
    11-06-16 03:02 PM
    My understanding is that Beta was used as a professional audio recording media and that is what kept Sony making and selling Beta casette tapes.
    Yes, I covered this in a previous post

And the anologous equivalent is that BlackBerry continues to sell QNX as a platform on which automobile companies build their in-car entertainment systems.

BB10, like the Betamax home video recorder, is IMHO, a thing of the past.
    Not really. QNX pre dates BB10 by about 30 years (and BlackBerry as a whole by nearly 20). The things you see QNX doing they have been doing all along, before BlackBerry bought them, and they will continue. QNX has nothing more to do with BB10 than it is the OS BlackBerry chose to use. BB10 is IMO analogous to Beta in that it continues to be deployed and developed for by mobile users who have more demanding needs that can't be met by the mobile devices that are consumer successes. Most people don't see this because it isn't carried out in public as much as consumer product development, and the things that happen aren't of interest to consumers.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Vistaus likes this.
    11-06-16 03:43 PM
    Checked EWA page and 10.3.3 is still in evaluation along with BES 12.3

From other types of certification the max time frame is 6 months so the update should be just around the corner.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-16 04:49 PM
    Checked EWA page and 10.3.3 is still in evaluation along with BES 12.3

From other types of certification the max time frame is 6 months so the update should be just around the corner.

Posted via CB10
    We will receive 10.3.3 when Nougat touch BlackBerry Android

Posted via CB10
    11-06-16 04:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    That makes no sense. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
    11-06-16 04:59 PM
    I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.
    What do these things have to do with one another?
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 11-06-16 at 06:46 PM.
    11-06-16 05:29 PM
    It's been so long seeing an update in my phone.

Posted via CB10
    anon(4295315) likes this.
    11-06-16 07:48 PM
    I just want a gold 10.3.3 to get rid of this stupid dev OS. I have no care of new features or certifications.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-16 12:44 AM
    I just want a gold 10.3.3 to get rid of this stupid dev OS. I have no care of new features or certifications.

Posted via CB10
    +1
    11-07-16 01:00 AM
    It's coming soon, and it's going to rock all of you to your very foundations.

Watch this space.

Something HUGE is coming. And it's gonna make a big old stink!
    11-07-16 01:31 AM
    It's coming soon, and it's going to rock all of you to your very foundations.

Watch this space.

Something HUGE is coming. And it's gonna make a big old stink!
    Passport 2 running BlackBerry 10.4?

Posted via CB10
    anon(4295315) likes this.
    11-07-16 02:42 AM
712 ... 1920212223 ...