BB 10 devices could be future-proofed if there was somehow a way to upgrade and enhance the Android Runtime. Maybe BB can outsource that, too?

While their phones weren't a success, Amazon's Kindle Fire tablets are very successful and they have a wonderfully customized, high-performing version of Android.
    The company licencing BB10 with its Android Runtime would not be allowed to also produce any Android devices. So, that will never happen.
    09-30-16 02:06 PM
    Why licence BlackBerry version of Android when you can get Android for free? What's the benefit of paying for something that's free when all they promise is security that the consumer market is not interested in?

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    For other manufacturers, it is a simpler than simple thing to spit out a run of BlackBerry-secured devices. It would take almost no retooling at all. They could market those variants to business and anyone who wants that, and market their regular version to everyone else.

It's just software.
    09-30-16 02:09 PM
    Who knows?

As for the costs of developing OS 10, maybe you could ask the developers of FreeBSD, Debian or RedHat how much it costs to maintain an operating system?
    How many man years per year for the Linux kernel alone? For freeBSD I would say 50 man years minimum, but I'm just guessing as I don't follow its development closely.
    09-30-16 02:39 PM
    How many man years per year for the Linux kernel alone? For freeBSD I would say 50 man years minimum, but I'm just guessing as I don't follow its development closely.
    Apparently Fedora 9 would have cost $10.8 billion (2008 dollars), so quite a bit more than that for a current Linux distro given inflation and the next 8 years of Linux development (including much of Android). The kernel itself was estimated at $1.4 billion, but that's the ancient 2.6.25 kernel.
    Last edited by thurask; 09-30-16 at 03:25 PM.
    09-30-16 03:15 PM
    The company licencing BB10 with its Android Runtime would not be allowed to also produce any Android devices. So, that will never happen.
    Well, that sucks. Better ditch the BB Androids then because they'll never be profitable.
    09-30-16 04:09 PM
    Apparently Fedora 9 would have cost $10.8 billion (2008 dollars), so quite a bit more than that for a current Linux distro given inflation and the next 8 years of Linux development (including much of Android). The kernel itself was estimated at $1.4 billion, but that's the ancient 2.6.25 kernel.
    Would have?

How did the makers of Debian make a return on $11 billion of investment?

How many hundreds of thousands of new BB 10 handsets sold per quarter could justify some regular OS 10 maintenance work (patches, minor stff) and ART development, considering most of the costs are now 'sunk' and BB won't make any new hardware?
    09-30-16 04:10 PM
    Would have?

How did the makers of Debian make a return on $11 billion of investment?

How many hundreds of thousands of new BB 10 handsets sold per quarter could justify some regular OS 10 maintenance work (patches, minor stff) and ART development, considering most of the costs are now 'sunk' and BB won't make any new hardware?
    The $11 billion investment (over 24.6 years of work) is if an American software company created Fedora 9 from scratch with the standard proprietary, 9-5 workday paid developer model. Of course, the components/maintenance of a Linux distribution aren't all made that way, rather being built up over years (if not decades) of separate developers working on individual components, be it corporations (Intel/Red Hat/etc.), public entities (NSA for SELinux, or CERN/Fermilab for Scientific Linux) or independent groups (GNU, GNOME). The Debian Project doesn't inject billions into the OS.
    09-30-16 04:24 PM
    how is that a true blackberry supporter . blackberry has moved on. time for you to do the same
    09-30-16 05:39 PM
    I have figured out a way to get 10.3.3 on any BB10 phone.

Turn your phone off, wait 2 seconds, then turn it back on. Now pretend that it's running 10.3.3 and you're all set because this update isn't going to do anything to improve the functionality of the device on the consumer end.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-30-16 06:20 PM
    how is that a true blackberry supporter . blackberry has moved on. time for you to do the same
    I'll decide when it's time, thanks.

Posted from my Passport SE via CB10
    YesAndNo likes this.
    09-30-16 06:55 PM
    i hear you. Well at least you can still make calls and text.
    09-30-16 07:06 PM
    And send emails, and browse the Web and let's not forget, use a very advanced form of interaction on any PKB to date (I'm a Passport user so I'm referring to the sleek keypad / trackpad).

Loving my BlackBerry. :-)

Posted via CB10 on my PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2876
    YesAndNo likes this.
    10-03-16 09:04 AM
    Only when on cellular because WFC support blows/was removed. Doesn't help those of us in rural areas or buildings that significantly attenuate cellular signals.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 10:36 AM
    Only when on cellular because WFC support blows/was removed. Doesn't help those of us in rural areas or buildings that significantly attenuate cellular signals.

Posted via CB10
    There is a solution to your problems you mention. That is move into a civilized area where you are able to use technology from this century. If you choose to stay in the backwoods, landlines will work for you best, next to tin cans with string.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    10-03-16 10:58 AM
    There is a solution to your problems you mention. That is move into a civilized area where you are able to use technology from this century. If you choose to stay in the backwoods, landlines will work for you best, next to tin cans with string.

You sound like a Microsoft rep.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...h-resigns.aspx
    10-03-16 11:02 AM

What a snooty thing to say.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    10-03-16 11:49 AM
    I'm still on that BB10 ship. Even though it is sinking, I'm not jumping ship I'm sinking with it. Now that's a true BlackBerry supporter. Even when they down and out im still gonna represent but only BlackBerry and it's OEM OS.

BB10 over ANY Android device.
    This is just talk. I'm going to take it to the next level. When BB10 stops running smoothly and I must lay down my Passport, I really will go down with the ship. I mean really. Life will not be worthwhile. I hope it's in five years rather than one, but I have all my affairs in order. Chen, make my day!

Posted via CB10
    YesAndNo likes this.
    10-03-16 12:12 PM
    Not guilty, just stating the obvious. For backwoods people one has to draw them a picture most of the time.

10-03-16 03:35 PM
    What a snooty thing to say.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    Did the truth hurt your feelings?

10-03-16 03:36 PM
    Not guilty, just stating the obvious. For backwoods people one has to draw them a picture most of the time.

It feels fun, doesn't it.
    10-03-16 03:53 PM
    OS10 FOR LIFE. Many users out there still and if you think that there aren't you are saddly mistaken. Forums speak for themselves. Plus almost every Android BB owner has a BB10 device as well.
    moyah8 and YesAndNo like this.
    10-03-16 03:59 PM
    It feels fun, doesn't it.
    Certainly does.

10-04-16 04:49 AM
    I'm not going to leave BBOS, far superior than iOS and Android. I'm here to stay!

Posted via my Passport!
    Sure sure, BTW do you have NIAP yet?
    10-04-16 06:54 AM
    Just ordered a PP SE. Good deal on the site. Dead or not I'm OK with security patches.

Posted via CB10
    YesAndNo and moyah8 like this.
    10-04-16 03:20 PM
    Sure sure, BTW do you have NIAP yet?
    NIAP for me is smoke in the air men

Posted via my Passport!
    10-05-16 04:12 PM
83 1234