01-21-15 08:46 AM
77 1234
tools
    Nope, it does not. The system ties it to the carrier SIM used. You can however sometimes swap SIM's and get it on a carrier that has already released it.
    I don't get it! In places like the middle east, carrier don't offer support when things go wrong on the phone so why can't BlackBerry just push updates there directly? Or at least to every carrier who don't mind BlackBerry pushing updates directly

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 03:51 AM
    I've been using 10.3.1 for 2 months I think

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    01-19-15 03:56 AM
    When upgrading from a Q5, my Passport upgraded the OS before I moved the simcard across, using WiFi.

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    01-19-15 04:39 AM
    Nope, it does not. The system ties it to the carrier SIM used. You can however sometimes swap SIM's and get it on a carrier that has already released it.
    It does not, actually. I’ve a Verizon-branded unlocked Q10 and I don’t get updates until and unless Verizon push them out — even though I use the SIM of a carrier that rolls out update promptly. For instance, I never got the 10.2.0 update although my carrier had — I only got the 10.2.1, that too when Verizon rolled it out for Q10 (as Z10 got the update before Z30 and Q10 on Verizon, if my memory serves me right).
    01-19-15 06:17 AM
    Well my carrier will never have it (VZW) so I will just grab it from whomever has it first! We all win! Besides...i wonder how different it will be from 2072 which people have already? I have been using 10.3.1 for quite a while.
    kbz1960, zephyr613 and Andrei Miau like this.
    01-19-15 06:28 AM
    I think that it is not that certain that unbranded phones depend on carriers as well. I bought my z30 in a regular store, no branding, and it got the update the moment I turned in on. No sim inside at all (over wifi).

Then I got the update to the last 10.2.1 as soon as it was out independent of the carrier.

I don't think that unbranded phones are subject to carriers moods. At least not always. I don't know the key though.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 06:46 AM
    I guess I'll have to update the Sachesi non destructive update thread ... long due.
    Will do before that.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-19-15 07:12 AM
    if that update would be depending on the carrier, how about the unlocked devices purchased from US, but used in a country where no carriers sell or support that specific model ?

i bought my passport from us and use it in Turkey, carrier is Trkcell, but Blackberry Passport was never marketed here.. ?
    01-19-15 07:24 AM
    BlackBerry is going to a direct distribution model.... they are going to have to come up with some sort of way to provide updates to users.

For Carrier's that demand it, provide a "switch" they can enforce that will require them to approve and update. If that switch isn't enabled, the phone will check BlackBerry's Servers for direct updates.

With this currently "locked" to carrier approval, this might be the last update that the Z10 and Q10 are approved for..... I doubt in another year if Verizon or AT&T are going to bother testing 3 year old devices. Even if they are currently in their line up today. Other than Apple or Nexus devices, does any other manufacture put out updates for older devices?
    deltact likes this.
    01-19-15 07:42 AM
    BlackBerry is going to a direct distribution model.... they are going to have to come up with some sort of way to provide updates to users.

For Carrier's that demand it, provide a "switch" they can enforce that will require them to approve and update. If that switch isn't enabled, the phone will check BlackBerry's Servers for direct updates.

With this currently "locked" to carrier approval, this might be the last update that the Z10 and Q10 are approved for..... I doubt in another year if Verizon or AT&T are going to bother testing 3 year old devices. Even if they are currently in their line up today. Other than Apple or Nexus devices, does any other manufacture put out updates for older devices?
    Apple also cuts their updates. I think 4s was the last to get ios8

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 08:11 AM
    We all agree (and hope) for upgrade on February....but which year? C'mon BB!!

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 08:54 AM

Motorola's been pretty reliable at providing Android OS updates (5.0 Lollipop was recently rolled out to last year's models, though admittedly they're not exactly "older devices.")
    01-19-15 09:04 AM
    We have it already, no? Oh well, can't wait for 10.4!

₱asaporte₱ilipinasSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    01-19-15 09:10 AM
    Well my carrier will never have it (VZW) so I will just grab it from whomever has it first! We all win! Besides...i wonder how different it will be from 2072 which people have already? I have been using 10.3.1 for quite a while.
    Curious why you think VZW won't release it? They released two updates for 10.2.1.

Z30 / STA 100-3 / 10.2.1.3289
    01-19-15 09:46 AM
    Do you know you unlocked device it's subjected to the sim it has?
    I do know, but luckily I can stick any sim inside it, since my operator doesn't support ota I use wifi (when I updated to 10.2.1, I put the sim in, booted it up, turned it off took the sim out then booted it and the update came though)
    01-19-15 09:59 AM
    As a t-mobile customer, how will I get the update?
    01-19-15 10:00 AM
    I have a question. in Turkey my cell operator brand Turkcell provided 10.2 but what if they won't support 10.3.1? Because BIS is not running here anymore so I have some concern about new update here. If they won't publish the official 10.3.1 OS, will it be possible to download from anywhere else like leaked ones?

PS: Sorry for my non-Shakespeare English.
    01-19-15 10:51 AM
    I couldn't wait, loaded the leak and Loving IT!!
    mh1983 likes this.
    01-19-15 10:58 AM
    As a t-mobile customer, how will I get the update?
    Judging from the flow of this thread, you will get 3 different answers, each contradicting the other. GL!

Posted via CB10
    thedose likes this.
    01-19-15 11:02 AM
    The out is "subject to carrier approval".... as long as BB launches update through carriers... these posts are pointless as you have no control over carriers release dates and they tend to be secretive... heck .. Passport has be out for a number of months.... when will it be released on ATT????? who knows..... everyone just needs to get a healthy dose of patience... and happily work away on your BB,,,,,
    Irrelevant because as long as compatible firmware is release on any carrier you can load it.

Yes, you have to do a bit of work, but that doesn't change the fact that for any BB10 device and user you can upgrade on your schedule, not just when your carrier wants to say "ok" and whitelists it.

This is manifestly not true for most Android devices where access to the OTA firmware from other carriers is not only often impossible if you can get it you may brick your unit in a fashion that is very difficult to recover from (and potentially impossible without JTAG equipment.)

BlackBerry absolutely should unbind firmware from the carrier process, especially for models that a given carrier doesn't sell. It's one thing to permit a carrier to control firmware for devices they actually sold -- to permit that for devices they didn't​ sell is another matter entirely.
    dejanh likes this.
    01-19-15 11:09 AM
    I have a question. in Turkey my cell operator brand Turkcell provided 10.2 but what if they won't support 10.3.1? Because BIS is not running here anymore so I have some concern about new update here. If they won't publish the official 10.3.1 OS, will it be possible to download from anywhere else like leaked ones?

BIS is not needed for OS10 devices anymore.
    If they don't support OS10 further, it has nothing to do with BIS.

Posted via CB10 | STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return.
    01-19-15 11:11 AM
    I am guessing it may work this way already. If there is no SIM in the phone during the initial boot, new out of the box, it will just get the initial OS update from the BlackBerry servers. If there is ever a SIM put in the phone, it checks for updates for the carrier of the SIM in the Phone or the last SIM that was put in your phone. This is probably why removing the SIM does not get you the updates released by BlackBerry.

Further guessing, if you have a SIM in the phone for a carrier that is not supported by BlackBerry and BlackBerry has an OS approved for your part of the world, you get the latest OS from BlackBerry that is approved for use in your part of the world.

A few years back there was a technical note on the new BlackBerry phones that said something to the effect that the phone was locked to the initial SIM put in the phone. I thought it meant the carrier needed to boot the phone with one of their SIMs to lock it to them, but it may have been referring to the OS updates and locking them to the carrier's versions.
    01-19-15 11:11 AM

I would be possible to use an autoloader to put the new OS on your phone, and if it doesn't work, you can always go back to the older OS. You will loose all your data using an autoloader, so backup the phone first.

It may not be BIS, but some carriers have forced the new BlackBerry phones use a specific plan in order to enable connection to the BlackBerry network. In addition, when the BB10 phones came out, some carriers did not support them and the users could not get a data connection. After a bit of time this problem was solved. I suspect it was something they had to do on their network to connect the new phones to the BlackBerry infrastructure. In other words, Turkcell may have to set something up in their network software to allow 10.3.1 to connect to the BlackBerry network.
    01-19-15 11:17 AM
    I hope it goes to all devices and everyone downloads, I notice still some people not upgrading their OS from 10.1.0 to 10.2 ..
    For us developers would be better.
    01-19-15 11:30 AM
    It does not, actually. I’ve a Verizon-branded unlocked Q10 and I don’t get updates until and unless Verizon push them out — even though I use the SIM of a carrier that rolls out update promptly. For instance, I never got the 10.2.0 update although my carrier had — I only got the 10.2.1, that too when Verizon rolled it out for Q10 (as Z10 got the update before Z30 and Q10 on Verizon, if my memory serves me right).
    Fact remains there is a process in which it ties the SIM to the device and as I noted, SOMETIMES swapping SIMS can get it to you faster. I never said it works in ALL cases. The device often get stuck in the process and devices for lack of a better term, get locked down to that carrier. Also, your device while it may be unlocked, still carries all the internal number for a Verizon device. It still reports itself with VZW's carrier ID, it stills shows on BlackBerry World as a VZW device and as far as internal systems are concerned, it's still a VZW device. Unlocking your device doesn't change the hardcoded carrier recognition.

The other side of the equation is the fact that BlackBerry also maintains a fallback process wherein the updates DO directly come from them. So anyone saying 'my carrier doesn't even sell it' do have a process in which the updates can be delivered to their devices. It's just not always as fast and sometimes it's only for mandatory updates.

Additionally, while it's not ideal for EVERYONE, once one carrier releases it, it's instantly available for everyone else through the process of autoloaders and Sachesi. The whole conversation about 'will I get the update' is rather pointless because technically there's nothing stopping people from taking matters into their own hands. Again, I'm not saying that's ideal but the option is there.
    01-19-15 04:26 PM
77 1234