Agenda is better

Sent from Mighty Q10SQN100-3/10.3.1.2267
    02-22-15 07:37 AM
    Oh.. so it's now a shortcoming because 500 of you think so? So the millions of other users that don't find the calendar a shortcoming are all wrong or something? You know what they say.. the complainers make the loudest noise. Those that don't have an issue ain't complaining and believe me we are at least a couple of millions more than the 500 that are complaining.

The calendar is fine in my opinion. If it's not for any user.. go back to 10.2 and save us all some trouble.

Simples.
    For starters, relax.

Not complaining isn't the same as being satisfied or better.

People often adapt their habits to how software works and when that changes they have to change their habits, not because they want to, but because of some seemingly arbitrary redesign. That's not fun.

I don't live or die by my calendar app, but I see this change as reducing the information available at a glance, and would like to hear a design rationale for it, but it isn't a positive change in my opinion.
    02-22-15 07:38 AM
    My default view is the Agenda View. I LOVE the new calendar app. I use the monthly view only for going to a particular day. But I understand the OP's concern. Maybe it would have been nice for BlackBerry to at least preserve the option to use growing numbers in the preferences.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9169048) likes this.
    02-22-15 08:00 AM
    You'll just have to settle for the Agenda View. Works well on a week-to-week basis
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    02-22-15 08:33 AM
    I don't live or die by my calendar app, but I see this change as reducing the information available at a glance, and would like to hear a design rationale for it, but it isn't a positive change in my opinion.
    Playing devil's advocate, I would rationalize it as simplifying the clutter for users who don't overload their calendars with events. If I only have one or two appointments a week, the 10.3.1 calendar is much more pleasing to the eye, with the dots in the same location. The old calendar would have bits of colour with random sizes and placements.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    02-22-15 08:57 AM
    i would if it can be done anybody know if it can be ?
    No, it won't work.
    02-22-15 09:00 AM
    Playing devil's advocate, I would rationalize it as simplifying the clutter for users who don't overload their calendars with events. If I only have one or two appointments a week, the 10.3.1 calendar is much more pleasing to the eye, with the dots in the same location. The old calendar would have bits of colour with random sizes and placements.

Uh... except that they were NOT 'random sizes and placements'... they were directly representative of the times and duration of what you had scheduled.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 09:05 AM
    The calender is disastrous but for none of the reasons that you mention. It will not back up with BB link. If you do an autoload or factory reset and then restore data from BB link all of your calender appointments are missing and you had better hope that you have them on a different phone or so that you can manually recopy them or you are out of luck.
    02-22-15 09:23 AM
    To be fair, the week and agenda views are quite useful.
    The month view however is extremely disappointing.
    The fact that a person can have multiple entries on a day represented only by a single dot is frustrating.
    The month view does not conform to the BlackBerry ethos of productivity as a primary objective, and while I find the calendar visually pleasing, its functionality has been neutered.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 09:24 AM
    I like the calendar in Blend. BB should use that for the calendar in the phones. It would be consistent between the two, desktop and phones.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-22-15 09:39 AM
    I will through my penny in on this. I am also dependent on the calendar for appointments and tasks. I can fill days up with the best of them.
    Here is what I don't like and what I have seen here at Crackberry so far.
    Old observations.
    1. Like many, I too have been preferring the month view mainly when I use the calendar. The other views I just go into sometimes.
    2. In the last few months people have been complaining about the calendar, myself included. While on 10.2 I have on occasion refered to the agenda view and noted to self that I like it. Out of habit or whatever, I continue to use the month view most of the time.
    3. I dont like seeing 3 weeks of past appointments with only 1 week shown into the future. 10.2. Problem solved in 10.3
    New Observations
    1. In another thread from this month I did see a picture of the new calendar with meeting listed below. It makes the calendar look more similar to 10.2 when that picture is shown and I dont see many around here. Privacy understood.
    2. I think I could get used to using the agenda view more as my default view. ?
    3. I suspect many of here have read the patent info above in the past and really liked the design, learned and appreciate it. Its old news to me.
    4. Woe to the person who gets to take on this calendar battle in an article here at Crackberry. Let the polling begin!
    5. There really is a lack of explanation on the differences. Some of it is different but the same like circles turning into bars. Its not clear how it works even to me. On the surface its just disastrous but the new calendar is not as bad as it appears at first glance! Thats not funny but its how I see it.
    Keith Atkinson likes this.
    02-22-15 09:43 AM
    You want your rolodex back too. Some people just whine about change without even trying. Weak.
    I actually miss my rolodex.

Posted via CB10
    Velocitymj and RJGnyc like this.
    02-22-15 09:50 AM
    The calender is disastrous but for none of the reasons that you mention. It will not back up with BB link. If you do an autoload or factory reset and then restore data from BB link all of your calender appointments are missing and you had better hope that you have them on a different phone or so that you can manually recopy them or you are out of luck.
    One advantage of moving my mail to office 365. All of this calendar info lives on my office 2013 software or in the cloud with the various other calendars like goggles, outlook, or whatever else works.
    02-22-15 09:51 AM

While appreciating the attempt at playing the devil's advocate, I can't help pointing out it only further proves the point of the 10.3.1 calendar's failures. Quoting: ". . . for users who don't overload their calendars with events. "

Some folks just need to glance at a calendar to see what the date is for next Tuesday, or see what day of the week a future date falls on. Those are the "WALL CALENDAR" folks. ANY month view is good for them. Before smartphones all they needed was the free bank calendar, the desk pad calendar, one with cartoons or 'word of the day' calendars. Or a quick glance on the back of their check-book register.

Other folks, BUSY folks, live by their calendars, as their time on a daily and weekly basis is planned and scheduled in blocks of time, an hour or two here, 15 minutes there, two or three days on the road there, etc. These are the "PLANNER CALENDAR" or "APPOINTMENT CALENDAR" folks. Before smartphone calendars, these were the Day-Timer, Franklin Planner, and Filo folks. they needed to be able to look at their calendars to find openings/free time to add additional events - to "overload" their calendar as stated above.

That ability to quickly view BUSY and FREE or busy-ER and free-ER time was the beauty of the original growing numbers version of the BB10 calendar. Quick, clean ability to see in a snap where the next demand on your time might best be inserted. "Oh, you need me for a full day site visit? Well, I see two days next week (small numbers) that look promising, I'll quickly drill down and verify one of them for you."
    "The dentist wants to see me next Tuesday? Can't do it, day is full" (largest number on the week).

Some folks, maybe even most folks, are WALL calendar folks. The rest of us need the growing numbers Month view from 10.2.1 back.

Posted via CB10, Mostly from my Passport, occasionally my Z30
    Last edited by DocDRM; 02-22-15 at 10:08 AM.
    02-22-15 09:58 AM
    My twitter post, linking this thread (typo on "2C"):
    BlackBerry 10.3.1 Calendar is Disastrous!-img_20150222_101543.png

02-22-15 10:16 AM
    Some folks, maybe even most folks, are WALL calendar folks. The rest of us need the growing numbers Month view from 10.2.1 back.

I agree. I think both styles should be made available as a preference in the settings.

Posted via CB10
    Just Me likes this.
    02-22-15 10:22 AM
    I think the only people who can really love this version probably only use it for occasional dental appointments. I don't see how anyone with a busy business schedule can think this is not step backwards.
    That's an assumption too far. I am a heavy user of the calendar app and whilst the look is new I am having no problems in adapting. I resolved to try it and learn to use it. I suggest that people at least do that for a while longer than the couple of days it's been globally available before throwing your toys out of the pram.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 10:48 AM
    So, apparently you never do more than one thing per day, and don't really care what time that event occurs. I'm jealous.

Not at all. It's dead on. A calendar that doesn't actually help you manage time efficiently is....by definition....a disaster. (or perhaps an iDisaster).

Yes, it's disrespectful to the designers. Because they believe that going from 3 steps to enter an appointment to 6 or 7 is an "upgrade". After all, you don't really care about how long it takes to do things....that's why you bought a BlackBerry. Oh, the irony.
    My point is the month view is not the best place to judge whether an appointment can/should be added. In the time it takes to make sense of a day in the old month view, I have tapped twice on it in the new month view and can see exactly what is happening. Some days are full of appointments, but their nature allows me to add another. Other days have fewer but more important ones, and I prefer to keep them free for preparation and follow-up. Also, if the first try doesn't work, it is easy to move to an adjacent day.

For a reminder of what is scheduled for the day or the next day, I find the Hub best - a simple pull-down.

As for your comment on the number of steps involved, I find the new UI faster and more intuitive. I especially like the analog slider for setting start and end times.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-22-15 11:31 AM

I agree, but would add that unless the view can communicate the importance of the scheduled events, it can be less than useful for many users. (Think of an "open" day when your only scheduled event is critical, requiring preparation and time for follow-up.). I thought the old month view was amazing at first, but after using it for a while, I just found it to be messy.

02-22-15 11:49 AM
    Most users have their calendar synced with a cloud solution, or company Exchange server, or both.

02-22-15 12:06 PM
    I ranted back on page 3 on how the new calendar blows. Well, it did one good thing for me: I sought out a replacement, found "calengoo" and it is awesome. 6 bucks though.
    Velocitymj likes this.
    02-22-15 12:11 PM
    My point is the month view is not the best place to judge whether an appointment can/should be added. In the time it takes to make sense of a day in the old month view, I have tapped twice on it in the new month view and can see exactly what is happening.
    But at a glance in the month view, you have no idea how a given day looks until you tap on it to open it up. With the growing numbers calendars, you don't have to do this.

BlackBerrry has done things like the giant action button to make navigating the device faster, but they've made it much slower to see what your days look like in the calendar.

Doesn't make sense to me.
    02-22-15 12:28 PM
    Colored dots are helpful in month view... best calendar was webOS aftermarket FREE patch termed "ubercalendar"... go find that developer, give him/her an unlimited coca-cola & cheetoes tab, & he/she'll whip up a port...
    02-22-15 01:42 PM
    I have read this thread. And many have valid complaints about the calender. Personally i like it better. It could use improvement that's for sure. But overall I am happy with the calender.
    02-22-15 02:45 PM
    As messed up as the 10.3.0 calendar is compared to 10.2.1, the 10.3.1 calendar has reached a new level of failure. Sometimes BlackBerry users want their phones to be different from iOS and Lollipop.

Actually 10.3.1 is the only unprofessional looking calendar.

BlackBerry 10.3.1 Calendar is Disastrous!-ateqnf1fs72lik08dk80_calendar.png
    02-22-15 02:52 PM
611 ... 23456 ...