Definitely takes some getting used to, but once you have used it for a while, it's not so bad...

Posted via CB10
    Oh yes! After a while it is even worse!
    PHughes, Velocitymj and moyah8 like this.
    02-21-15 07:09 AM
    I have to juggle many tasks and though the new calendar will take a bit of getting used to, (change is like that), I think people will adapt in time. Let's give this update a chance.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, you adapt,... by never using the month view for any useful purpose other than to check to see which day of the week the 20-something falls in May.

If anyone has studied information theory, it's very basic premise is:

Greater Information = Greater amount of unknown (or less certainly known) data.

- The numbers on a calendar provide very little information since they are very predictable (except that the Gregorian Monks kinda messed up).
    - Most people have at least one thing going on every day, or some holiday automatically added to the calendar. So to show "a dot" whenever you have "something" essentially results in a calendar with a dot in every day. Again very predictable and thus very LOW information.

On the contrary, by making the size of the calendar digits proportional to the AMOUNT of events on that day. It used a very low information object (i.e the digits--still necessary for a calendar), to convey new or unknown information (how busy will you be that day).

By the way, information theory is how compression is designed. By throwing away what everyone already knows, or what can be easily recovered by a predictable function/process. If you look at the calendar in the OP's post, you can throw away the numbers (since we know those forever), an you can discard the dots (since we know they show up on every day), and we can discard the grid lines (since they never change).

Which leaves us with a compressed object that has NOTHING.

So yeah.

Anyone here that doesn't think this is a downgrade with regards to the useful information that the calendar conveys,.. clearly never really used the calendar for anything other than to check what day the 30th of February fell on this year.... lol

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 07:13 AM
    Anyone here that doesn't think this is a downgrade with regards to the useful information that the calendar conveys,.. clearly never really used the calendar for anything other than to check what day the 30th of February fell on this year.... lol

Posted via CB10
    Well put Animal.

I am a heavy user of the calendar and loved the fact that I can look at a month to get a quick glance on how my days are filling up. Want more info? Just click on that day and view the details.

There are two possible solutions: 1) customization options and 2) third-party calendar apps.

Btw, another thing that bugs me about the calendar is that wall of numbers in the dark-themed month view. It is further exasperated by the fact that days from the prior and following month are also shown without any differentiation from the current month like dimmed font or a border outlining the current month. I know I'm nit-picking here but its the type of thing that heavy users like me appreciate. Is it too much to ask for something as simple as discrete gridlines for each day?
    02-21-15 07:47 AM
    LOL. Glad to see this. As a Classic owner, misery needs company.

I've been waiting for the 10.3.1 rollout so others can finally shout out their rage at the inane calendar design, predominantly month view.

Fellow producers of the world, sign up and make lots of new post noise at the Blackberry Beta forums please.
    https://beta.webapps.blackberry.com
    Velocitymj and moyah8 like this.
    02-21-15 08:05 AM
    I don't think this change works for anyone that actually used the Passport.

I have a feeling they stopped using growing numbers to save on licensing fees. It's why we never heard anything about an "improved Calendar!" Even though it clearly received one of the biggest overhauls.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 08:06 AM
    LOL for sure. The point was things change. Sometimes not for the best sometimes yes. But either we change with it or stay where we are at. Is it really that horrible? Not functional at all?

But yep, it would have been nice if there was an option to keep the old view or use the new one. Don't know what kind of coding nightmare that might or might not be.
    Yeah... I don't either. I'm just here to complain,.. not to actually solve anything--that would just be very un-internet-ty.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and Rowan M like this.
    02-21-15 09:07 AM
    I'm in too. That thing is ugly!
    I like my calendar the way it is.
    Not some freakish androidy looking thing

BlackBerry should try to keep in mind the uniqueness they have created......cool style never goes out of style.

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    02-21-15 09:15 AM
    Btw, another thing that bugs me about the calendar is that wall of numbers in the dark-themed month view. It is further exasperated by the fact that days from the prior and following month are also shown without any differentiation from the current month like dimmed font or a border outlining the current month. I know I'm nit-picking here but its the type of thing that heavy users like me appreciate. Is it too much to ask for something as simple as discrete gridlines for each day?
    I don't think you are nit-picking. It is hard to tell from a screen full of bold letters and dots/shapes to figure out what you are looking at. I too am a heavy calendar user, and this thing is driving me crazy. A lot of functionality is lost with the 10.3.1 calendar UI.
    Just Me and CDM76 like this.
    02-21-15 09:23 AM
    What a bunch of drama queens!!!

The new calendar has a much cleaner and simplified look while only sacrificing a bit of information in the month view.

Specifically, you see how many appts you have now, as opposed to how much of your day is filled (ie. Instead of elongated continuous side bars, you have now a series of shrinking dots that approach a continuous line as the day fills up).

If you are the type of person who schedules many short appts, then 10.3 will be an improvement. If you are the type who often schedules a single, all-day appt, you'll find it hard to discern between two days that have single appts, one being short and another all day, since both will appear as one large dot.

In either case, ideally BlackBerry implements a setting option in next update, so that you can choose based on preference.

Until then, chill the F out!

In terms of attracting a wide audience the 10.3 option is clearly better. It is simpler, cleaner and more attractive. The old growing numbers, while useful in some respects, was so busy and crazy looking it took me a few months to get my brain to sort it all out.

Posted via CB10
    der_mit, CDM76, PatrickMJS and 1 others like this.
    02-21-15 09:27 AM
    ^ Apparently we're drama queens for disliking the fact that we lost functionality in an OS upgrade.

Posted via CB10
    Velocitymj, vbdwork and moyah8 like this.
    02-21-15 09:37 AM
    BlackBerry 10.3.1 Calendar is Disastrous!-z30-calendar-close-november.png

Bask in its glory ^

| bER1Nry | on the |  Q10 |
    02-21-15 09:41 AM
    ^ Apparently we're drama queens for disliking the fact that we lost functionality in an OS upgrade.

Posted via CB10
    ...For not tempering your comments with a reasoned acknowledgment of the trade offs, and for not appreciating that one's personal usage case is not necessarily that of others'.

Finally, for not acknowledging the crazy number of improvements in the OS over the last few years.

Have a discussion, sure, but be reasonable is the message I want to send.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 09:42 AM

The new calendar has a much cleaner and simplified look while only sacrificing a bit of information in the month view.

Specifically, you see how many appts you have now, as opposed to how much of your day is filled (ie. Instead of elongated continuous side bars, you have now a series of shrinking dots that approach a continuous line as the day fills up).

Posted via CB10
    That isn't how it works. You get ONE dot no matter how many meetings you have.

You get another dot for each separate calendar that has an appt.

If you're like 98% of business people, almost all of your meetings come from your corp. calendar with a birthday entry from Facebook from time for time.

Month view conveys 0 useful information to a busy person.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by dguy123; 02-21-15 at 10:22 AM.
    02-21-15 09:44 AM
    Finally, for not acknowledging the crazy number of improvements in the OS over the last few years.
    Irrelevant, since the discussion here is only about the new calendar!
    02-21-15 09:48 AM
    My number one complaint with the leak version (don't have anything official yet) is that on my Z10 if I click on a day (from Month view) I can't get a view OF THE DAY. I get a blank "you have no appointments" instead of a grid of times (like in day view) that I could simply click on next to the time of day I'd like to make an appointment.

So, instead of just clicking the day (from month) then clicking the time (from day) and starting typing...now I must click the "+", then get another screen....(still no day view) THEN, click the defaulted time of 9am to change it.....THEN get ANOTHER screen, THEN...use the very awkward slider to find the time I want to make the appointment, THEN GO BACK, click the area to type, THEN save. It takes me literally 3-4 more steps than my wife on her Q10 (running 10.2) or on my 9930.

Does this madness continue on the official 10.3.1?
    02-21-15 10:10 AM

If you are the type of person who schedules many short appts, then 10.3 will be an improvement. If you are the type who often schedules a single, all-day appt, you'll find it hard to discern between two days that have single appts, one being short and another all day, since both will appear as one large dot.

In either case, ideally BlackBerry implements a setting option in next update, so that you can choose based on preference.

Until then, chill the F out!

In terms of attracting a wide audience the 10.3 option is clearly better. It is simpler, cleaner and more attractive. The old growing numbers, while useful in some respects, was so busy and crazy looking it took me a few months to get my brain to sort it all out.

Posted via CB10
    This is not an upgrade in functionality, it's a downgrade in an already flawed product in an important business app that already lacked the functions it had in the previous OS.
    And you call that an improvement.
    Who are you to tell us what is "better and cleaner" for us?
    I know what I need to run my business, not you and obviously not BlackBerry.
    While a couple of functions are indeed improved (not in the Calendar though), 10.3 appears to be a minor upgrade that has isn't worth losing the capabilities that I had with 10.2.1, which had it's own problems.
    And it's only exacerbated others (like the ability to move the cursor around while editing).
    The Calendar's horrid look reflects that it is now worse to work with than before. Period.
    Obviously not designed by someone who understands business needs.

I feel motion sick from two minutes of trying to move the cursor to correct a typo.

Posted via Q10 CB10
    Last edited by Velocitymj; 02-21-15 at 02:14 PM.
    crajarv likes this.
    02-21-15 10:10 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z30-calendar-close-november.png 
Views:	5144 
Size:	768.2 KB 
ID:	335599

Bask in its glory ^

Amazing... so much information conveyed with one glance. The volume of commitments, the relative placement of each commitment during the work day, even the relative length of each commitment... all without even having to tap into the day.

No way... there is no way that some artsy 'it looks so much cleaner' designer person won an argument in Waterloo that led to the loss of this. There has to be another reason, like: they wanted to cut costs and so stopped paying licensing fees to whatever genius came up with it.
    02-21-15 10:25 AM
    I've been using the 10.3.1 calendar for months and I still don't like it. I've asked for the 10.2.1 version to return many times. Hopefully some day...

Posted via CB10
    Just Me, fordn7 and DocDRM like this.
    02-21-15 10:49 AM
    Amazing... so much information conveyed with one glance. The volume of commitments, the relative placement of each commitment during the work day, even the relative length of each commitment... all without even having to tap into the day.

No way... there is no way that some artsy 'it looks so much cleaner' designer person won an argument in Waterloo that led to the loss of this. There has to be another reason, like: they wanted to cut costs and so stopped paying licensing fees to whatever genius came up with it.
    So if the screenshot in post #22 is what 10.3.1 looks like, it is likely an artsy decision because iOS 8 looks like that: little coloured dots that indicate the order and number of events, but no information on their duration. If anything they'd be paying fees to Cupertino for 10.3.1.

Of course, the Lollipop calendar looks worse...so we're not the worst off.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    02-21-15 11:17 AM
    Sorry, it's a close call, but I prefer the new version. The month view is nice and clean, and provides provides enough visual cues that I rarely need to go to the week or day view. In other words, the old month view was overly complicated, trying to do what is better done in the week or day view.

To use terms like "disaster" is over the top and disrespectful to the designers.
    02-21-15 11:18 AM

this looks soooooooooooooooo much better
    02-21-15 11:25 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z30-calendar-close-november.png 
Views:	5144 
Size:	768.2 KB 
ID:	335599

Bask in its glory ^

sorry mean this looks soooooooooooooooooooo much better
    peter0328 likes this.
    02-21-15 11:26 AM
    Sorry, it's a close call, but I prefer the new version. The month view is nice and clean, and provides provides enough visual cues that I rarely need to go to the week or day view. In other words, the old month view was overly complicated, trying to do what is better done in the week or day view.
    So, apparently you never do more than one thing per day, and don't really care what time that event occurs. I'm jealous.

To use terms like "disaster" is over the top and disrespectful to the designers.
    Not at all. It's dead on. A calendar that doesn't actually help you manage time efficiently is....by definition....a disaster. (or perhaps an iDisaster).

Yes, it's disrespectful to the designers. Because they believe that going from 3 steps to enter an appointment to 6 or 7 is an "upgrade". After all, you don't really care about how long it takes to do things....that's why you bought a BlackBerry. Oh, the irony.
    02-21-15 11:32 AM
    I'm gonna have to agree. This calendar is total junk. All I have is a green dot on every single day. It doesn't inform me whatsoever. Instead, it's even more overwhelming because it looks like my month is fully occupied.

Posted via CB10
    Just Me and DocDRM like this.
    02-21-15 11:36 AM
    it's just a learning process. I literally just figured that out right now, I read your post and I wanted to look into it myself. I hope I have helped you out,

Thank you very much for that, I didn't see that option. It just used the "options" button on the bottom left. That's how I got around in 10.2.1

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3442
    bER1Nry likes this.
    02-21-15 11:36 AM
611 1234 ...