New screen looks okay to me.
    I like it, it has a bigger contact picture

Posted from my Z30.
    semperfi45 likes this.
    11-12-13 06:02 AM
    I believe this design change is mainly attributed to people blocking out the light sensor when attempting to answer/reject a call - this in turn turns off/on the screen and it can be rather frustrating at times. I'm not too fond of the new screen, but it's the least of my worries. Just make the entire phone app more responsive, especially the damn "end call" button which (still) has issues and is slow to respond.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    11-12-13 06:10 AM
    I like it, it has a bigger contact picture

Posted from my Z30.
    So all you care about is the contact picture?! the new screen makes it more difficult to answer a call when you're right handed and own a Z30 or even a Z10.

Crackberry needs to do a poll about this!

Posted via CB10
    thanasi likes this.
    11-12-13 06:43 AM
    I believe this design change is mainly attributed to people blocking out the light sensor when attempting to answer/reject a call - this in turn turns off/on the screen and it can be rather frustrating at times. I'm not too fond of the new screen, but it's the least of my worries. Just make the entire phone app more responsive, especially the damn "end call" button which (still) has issues and is slow to respond.
    That has never happened to me and so far I haven't heard of anyone facing this issue, just saying.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 06:45 AM
    So all you care about is the contact picture?! the new screen makes it more difficult to answer a call when you're right handed and own a Z30 or even a Z10.

Crackberry needs to do a poll about this!

Posted via CB10
    I have big hands lol, I haven't tired the new screen yet. But I think I can do it (right handed)

Posted from my Z30.
    11-12-13 06:51 AM
    left to right swipe for answering incoming calls is just uncool...i dont want an android/iOS clone

i want unique BB features and the up/down swipe to answer or reject calls is quite unique and cool besides i'm now so used to it i reflexively swipe up on my S3 these days to answer calls
    thanasi likes this.
    11-12-13 07:16 AM
    I don't see a problem with the new call screen as 10.2.1.1055 displays...

I also fail to see how it will make it hard to answer a call right-handed...

if you were holding the phone so that your pinky is holding the bottom left from behind, and your palm is cupping the right bottom (the only position where it would be semi-awkward to swipe right that low on the screen), all it requires is a quick extension of your pinky and walaaa, a easy swipe right...

and guess what? that's very similar (in motion and effort) to the same adjustment that has to be made to decline a call on the current set up, in order to be able to reach your thumb all the way to the top of the screen when holding the phone that low...

plus think about it, if you're right handed, you're probly going to be doing something less ambidextrous than using a phone with your strong hand... eg: it's harder to write with both hands than use your phone with both hands... thus leaving your phone in your left anyway! So far it's only been righties saying something, but really the lefties should be complaining, LOL...

so end result? no big deal IMO.
    Last edited by NinjaB; 11-12-13 at 07:47 AM.
    habs_fan likes this.
    11-12-13 07:23 AM
    I like the new call screen actually. Bigger contact picture and a nice short swip to either answer or reject calls. I much prefer going from side to side then up and down. Your thumb is near the bottom so with the current call screen it a stretch to swipe up. With this way its easy-peasy in either direction.

just my 0.02$
    habs_fan likes this.
    11-12-13 07:28 AM
    I don't like the new call screen, i like swiping down and up! Blahhh. Also, what's white balance?

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    thanasi likes this.
    11-12-13 07:46 AM
    P.S.S... I'm far more curious about the Music UI changes... I've been begging for improvements to the since day one and that will affect how I use my phone daily more than whether the answer stays up/down or left/right... I could really care less either way, it's still a very similar answering concept...

the custom quick settings screen is also a huge ++++... lets celebrate the many positives of this update, which BB is turning out quickly...

all of the people complaining BB is wasting time on something irrelevant have probly now spent the same amount of time relative to BB's man-hours ranting about this supposedly irrelevant thing... if the prev call screen was so easy to master, this one will be no harder, I promise!

while I won't argue best of both worlds would be to leave it as user option...
    11-12-13 07:48 AM
    It does look nicer than I imagined, but I still would love the up and down swipe more than this one.

The call screen was the one thing everyone that saw it liked, even the ones that didn't like BlackBerry 10 as an OS! But this won't change my fondness of the OS and I won't be losing any sleep over it :P

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    11-12-13 08:38 AM
    The only reason I can see for BB to change the call screen is because BBM Voice and Video on BB10 use the same screen. BlackBerry has chosen to keep the UI the same for BBMx and if it were used for BBMx it would cause confusion on other platforms.

That being said, I really like the current call screen so I hope we are given a choice.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 10:01 AM
    I don't see a problem with the new call screen as 10.2.1.1055 displays...

I also fail to see how it will make it hard to answer a call right-handed...

if you were holding the phone so that your pinky is holding the bottom left from behind, and your palm is cupping the right bottom (the only position where it would be semi-awkward to swipe right that low on the screen), all it requires is a quick extension of your pinky and walaaa, a easy swipe right...

and guess what? that's very similar (in motion and effort) to the same adjustment that has to be made to decline a call on the current set up, in order to be able to reach your thumb all the way to the top of the screen when holding the phone that low...

plus think about it, if you're right handed, you're probly going to be doing something less ambidextrous than using a phone with your strong hand... eg: it's harder to write with both hands than use your phone with both hands... thus leaving your phone in your left anyway! So far it's only been righties saying something, but really the lefties should be complaining, LOL...

so end result? no big deal IMO.
    I'm a right handed person and I rarely hold my phone using my left hand.

If you're holding your phone a bit low, you won't be able to swipe right or left on the new calling screen plus why waste the teams time to change the calling screen when no one complaint about it.

Shouldn't they use that time to improve the music app for example, it's buggy as hell!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 10:11 AM

If you're holding your phone a bit low, you won't be able to swipe right or left on the new calling screen plus why waste the teams time to change the calling screen when no one complaint about it.

Shouldn't they use that time to improve the music app for example, it's buggy as hell!!!

Posted via CB10
    It depends on hand size and where u hold the phone, I have the Z30 and hold it with my right hand and I can swipe right and left fine

Posted from my Z30.
    11-12-13 10:14 AM
    I like swiping down to answer calls. This is one change I would strongly dislike.

Posted via CB10
    Thesmartmale and thanasi like this.
    11-12-13 11:13 AM
    It's to prevent accidentally activating the quick-settings menu.

It makes sense.
    I assume this is a joke. Because there was zero chance of that happening before...
    It makes no sense.
    Up and down was easier to use one handed. It's why you swipe up on the keyboard. All ease of use one handed.
    This is less easy to use

Posted via CB10
    eldricho and Thesmartmale like this.
    11-12-13 02:26 PM
    I'm right-handed also and I'm not able to replicate this tough-to-swipe situation on my Z10 besides the one position i previously mentioned, which doesn't require a second hand, or a major adjustment, but just a split-second motion and your thumb naturally swipes right....

and to those saying it was something that other people saw and liked about BB10 OS, it may have been... but was it anything someone would be willing to switch over? I don't believe so, either way... meaning it's not something that would cause someone to switch to BB, or away from it...
    11-12-13 03:20 PM
    Oh god that's hideous.
    11-12-13 03:46 PM
    New screen looks okay to me.
    <shrugs> Yeah, I'm okay with it too. Like the "mute" button as well (sometimes you don't want to immediately "reject" a call).
    Mel25 likes this.
    11-12-13 04:17 PM
    <shrugs> Yeah, I'm okay with it too. Like the "mute" button as well (sometimes you don't want to immediately "reject" a call).
    Yep. It's fine. This one looks nicer than the older one imho

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    11-12-13 04:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'd call this a relatively small ergonomic detail. There may not have been widespread user complaints, but it could have come up in internal user testing. Again, as I've said, I liked the LOOK of the up-down call screen, but definitely for me on a Z30 left-right will work better.

And 10.2.1.1055 apparently does include changes in the music app (though I haven't seen exactly what the enhancements are).
    11-12-13 04:26 PM
    I'd call this a relatively small ergonomic detail. There may not have been widespread user complaints, but it could have come up in internal user testing. Again, as I've said, I liked the LOOK of the up-down call screen, but definitely for me on a Z30 left-right will work better.

And 10.2.1.1055 apparently does include changes in the music app (though I haven't seen exactly what the enhancements are).
    I like it, but for left and right I think that the buttons need to be about mid-screen on portrait mode on the Z
    11-12-13 05:04 PM
    Middle of the three side buttons mutes the ringer too. I use it all the time when my phone is in my pocket and I don't want to take it out to shut it up.
    00stryder likes this.
    11-12-13 05:09 PM
    You can do this on the current layout, it's just sorta hidden. Instead of dragging the bar up or down, simply tap the bar itself and it'll mute the ringer/vibration.

Posted via CB10
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    11-12-13 05:18 PM
    It's unbelievable that you don't know how to mute a call on the current call screen, simply tap ANYWHERE and it will mute!

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 05:43 PM
180 ... 45678