My Z10 is due to be delivered today and now I'm starting to worry. I have a 9800 at the moment and intend to carry on using the phone for work. I do 50% office work and the rest out on site doing manual work so don't fancy taking the new Z10 on site with me. I seem to have read somewhere that BB10 no longer uses the BIS for data opting for standard data. Strangely today my 9800 stopped receiving emails, BBM stopped working and registration messages didn't get a reply. I got in touch with O2 UK and they said my BIS was configured wrong and they would alter it, should be working again in a couple of hours.
    Now makes me wonder if the Z10 has been put on a data plan that doesn't work with my old 9800. I've always used two BB's a 9800 home and 8520 work, it was just a case of switching the sim and it was good to go. Will that still be the case with the Z10 and 9800? Just wondering if the different data plan may cause problems!
    02-12-13 09:14 AM
    Well, some were saying that having BIS is "optional" and that it would still work. However, many have reported data not working on their phone until they specifically took off the BIS plan and switched to a regular data plan. To be honest, you're a minority here. Many more people would benefit from the ability to switch sims from a regular Android/iOS/WP device to a Z10 than from an older BB to a Z10, as there are way more iOS/Android/WP devices than there are BBs.
    02-12-13 10:02 AM
    You would have thought RIM would be have made sure the transition was a bit smoother. It's all good and well having a full refurb of the OS but RIM needs to make sure that older BB's are still catered for and not dropped too quickly. I appreciate that a lot of effort and resources has been put in 10OS but unless some of them resources get channelled to older BB customers they will be less inclined to upgrade to 10 and potentially move away from the OS altogether if they feel let down when they are due an upgrade. I will be keen to see how RIM deals with older phones. I assume that if I was to have a standard data plan on my Z10 some of the features associated with my 9800 won't work any more, or will they still work? Maybe my upgrade and BIS seemingly not working are just coincidence!
    02-12-13 10:32 AM
    They're not "dropping" the old BBs anytime soon. OS7 models are still in production and still on sale.

Biggest catch: it appears that you can't have the same BlackBerry ID on two handsets at the same time. If you're using your phones for different purposes, you wouldn't necessarily want to anyway.
    AWB70 likes this.
    02-12-13 10:35 AM
    Biggest catch: it appears that you can't have the same BlackBerry ID on two handsets at the same time. If you're using your phones for different purposes, you wouldn't necessarily want to anyway.
    Thanks for that Thunderbuck. I personally want to use two phones for the same purpose. I generally don't take my new shiny phone on site with me. I usually have the old phone for on site work. Plasterboard dust wrecks the phone and gets in everywhere. At the moment my 9800 is being demoted for site work and my Z10 (just arrived today) is going to be used for when I'm home or in the office. My 8520 has been handed down to someone from work. So, will I need to set up another BB account to use solely for the Z10 and keep my existing account for use on the 9800? It's not such a problem with BBM which is phone specific as I just have a message "unavailable on other account" so people know which phone I am using. So no change there but where will I stand with the same email addresses being used by two separate Blackberry Accounts?
    I think I should leave off setting the phone up for now until I fully understand how this is going to work! As previously posted BIS is an option but in my case probably a necessity to do what I'm trying to achieve. I suspect that when my upgrade started today that o2 had put me on a standard data package which is probably why my 9800 wouldn't register. Can you see any real problems with me doing what I intend? I have had BB for many years starting with a 8100 and one thing I did like is the ability to swap sims from phones and just start where I left off. I haven't really kept upto speed with how 10 works.
    02-12-13 12:56 PM
    You can set up the same e-mail addresses on two different phones. That isn't an issue. Just the BBID has to be different.

I have to say, given your use case I'd just buy an Otterbox for the Z10.
    02-12-13 01:08 PM
    Hi mate I feel your pain lol i spend a few days in our shop then the rest out fitting hifi/tv's/multiroon systems.

I moved from the 9800 to the Z10 this week, the only problem I can see is the blackberry id when I put this in the Z10 it transferred my BBM information to the Z10.

I like the idea of shaping to another phone if this gets smashed as the tend to On site.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-12-13 01:25 PM
    Plaster board dust and other things I use are phone killers even with a screen protector and case that's why I don't usually use my best phone for work until I'm due an upgrade. Looking at the phone in front of me I'm also surprised at how big it is. Not going to be comfortable in my front pocket and totally breakable when climbing about on scaffolds! Still haven't got my bbm or email up and running yet so don't even want to fire the z10 up yet. Did you keep your old 9800 tubby? I take it you never if you used the same id. I had a quick look at the start up guides but as mentioned I appear to be in a unique situation where everything seems to be based around ditching your old phone. Especially when it comes to switching devices and transferring over all the stuff from your old phone. So when it comes to setting up the phone and it asks for my bbid do I need to start a new account? Another thing while I'm here,if bb services have been stopped to my old device would I still get app world and browser? Seems odd only email and bbm have stopped working.
    02-12-13 04:12 PM
    Keep ur curve 8520 then... Problem fixed
    02-12-13 11:43 PM
    You can set up the same e-mail addresses on two different phones. That isn't an issue. Just the BBID has to be different.

I have to say, given your use case I'd just buy an Otterbox for the Z10.
    You're BlackBerry ID is your email address unless BlackBerry changed something recently. When I set-up my BlackBerry ID for the BlackBerry Z10 I used the same BlackBerry ID as I had been using with my BlackBerry Bold.
    02-13-13 02:13 AM
    Plaster board dust and other things I use are phone killers even with a screen protector and case that's why I don't usually use my best phone for work until I'm due an upgrade. Looking at the phone in front of me I'm also surprised at how big it is. Not going to be comfortable in my front pocket and totally breakable when climbing about on scaffolds! Still haven't got my bbm or email up and running yet so don't even want to fire the z10 up yet. Did you keep your old 9800 tubby? I take it you never if you used the same id. I had a quick look at the start up guides but as mentioned I appear to be in a unique situation where everything seems to be based around ditching your old phone. Especially when it comes to switching devices and transferring over all the stuff from your old phone. So when it comes to setting up the phone and it asks for my bbid do I need to start a new account? Another thing while I'm here,if bb services have been stopped to my old device would I still get app world and browser? Seems odd only email and bbm have stopped working.
    Hi yeah I've kept my 9800 it has my original sim in it at the moment (I'm running 2 contracts now) next month I will move the number over via pac code to the Z10. I've not decided what the future holds but I do know the z10 gets put safe in my car when on site at the moment lol. I might just gest a cheep android phone for on site use.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    b320 likes this.
    02-13-13 02:35 AM
    Keep ur curve 8520 then... Problem fixed
    The 8520 has already gone Can't really ask for it back. I use them for business use, my colleague has been fighting on with an old Android for a while. In fact I feel like a bit of a mug at the minute for not looking into it too much. I've been a BB salesman over Christmas. I bought my daughter and wife one and my sister in law decided to get one and a playbook! Now I may be in a position where I can't use mine I spent last night browsing this board (probably should have done that first) to see if I could find what's going on. One thing I did pick up on is the amount of speculation that seems to be going on! Can any of you in the know people tell me what RIM's (BB) intentions are with BIS? There were a few things I couldn't work out, is RIM doing away with BIS altogether at some point and if they do what will happen to all the people with OS7 and under? I would imagine it would take a very long time to finally get everybody who is going to upgrade to 10 across so at some point there will be some disgruntled customers. What will stop working on the phone when BIS is stopped. My phone yesterday BBM and email packed in. Today it's back on but I fear when I put this sim card into my new phone it may happen again when I try and put it back in my old phone.
    As for setting up my new phone. An earlier post suggests creating a new BB ID as you can't have one ID on two phones. Not sure which way to go with this one, I don't fully understand the implications of having two blackberry ID's, are they linked to the SIM card? What will happen if I use the same ID as I'm using now on the new phone then put that SIM back into the old phone?
    Hi yeah I've kept my 9800 it has my original sim in it at the moment (I'm running 2 contracts now) next month I will move the number over via pac code to the Z10. I've not decided what the future holds but I do know the z10 gets put safe in my car when on site at the moment lol. I might just gest a cheep android phone for on site use.
    I've just sold a brand new Samsung Galaxy Y for peanuts because my daughter couldn't get used to the touch screen and kept ringing people by mistake! But hold on, what's preventing me using the 9800 as an Android type phone? I could live without BBM and the browser will work right? Not sure what else would stop working but I guess the main issue would be email. I feel there is some work around for this. Maybe not getting pushed email straight to the phone but could I not set it up in some way that I could check email using the browser? Plusnet my provider have a webmail feature. Not sure if that works with a co.uk address I have hosted with them. My gmail accounts I guess I could access from the browser as well
    You're BlackBerry ID is your email address unless BlackBerry changed something recently. When I set-up my BlackBerry ID for the BlackBerry Z10 I used the same BlackBerry ID as I had been using with my BlackBerry Bold.
    Do you know what happens if you put the SIM back into the old phone?
    I guess in a nut shell the main question is...
    1. can I keep my account on BIS even when using the new phone?
    2.If I can't what features of my old phone will stop working?
    3.Is RIM going to stop BIS at some point and what will happen to pre 10 phones?
    4.what will happen if I use the same BB ID on two phones?
    Sorry to be fretting about things that to others, in the big scheme of things not be important. But to me being able to switch phones without losing any functionality is a big thing. I appreciate I could leave the phone in the Van if I'm that worried but that sort of defeats the purpose of having the phone. As long as I can still carry out basic functions, email most importantly on the 9800 using the sim then I'm good. I have seven days to decide whether to keep the phone and if I'm going to lose anything by switching to ten I might have to consider sending it back, getting a cheaper tariff and a cheap os7 phone until I can find out what will fit into my situation. Not ideal, I am a big BB fan of many years. None of the negative comments on the phone or BIS worry me but it is affecting my use on the ground.
    02-13-13 05:53 AM
    Quick update, just been enquiring about using email from a webmail platform in the phones browser so it would appear that I could still access my email though the old phone if needs be.
    02-13-13 07:30 AM
    No problems switching between the phones so far. Haven't had time to really get into my Z10 yet but so far swapping over without a problem. The only thing I had to do is let my carrier know I wanted to stay on BIS. Whether that limits anything on the Z10 is yet to be seen.
    02-21-13 09:23 AM