09-23-15 04:35 AM
29 12
tools
    I can't find a definite answer when I search the forums. What's the best way to format an SD card? I have a 32gb in my z10 now and I want to get a 64gb card and transfer the 21gb I have on there over. What's the best way to do this?

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 04:08 PM
    copy the files from the current card to your desktop - put in the 64gb card and format on the phone - transfer files from desktop to sd card.
    07-15-15 04:12 PM
    So your saying use link to do all of this?

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 04:13 PM
    Take the 32GB out of your device, put the 64GB in the device, format it using the device itself. If you have a computer, you can just put the 32GB data on there until your 64GB is formatted and then just move the data to it.
    07-15-15 04:17 PM
    So your saying use link to do all of this?

Posted via CB10
    There's no need to use Link. You can do it all just by enabling Mass Storage Mode. It allows you to access all the content on your SD card directly on your computer. Settings>Storage and Access>Access using USB.
    GreenCopperz likes this.
    07-15-15 04:19 PM
    Okay cool thanks

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 11:07 PM
    I tried this on a Q10 a number of times but can not get it to work. When I format the card on the phone my computer wont recognize it and when I format on the computer the wont wont recognize it. I do not have this problem with my 32gb card. Also, when I attempt to copy an entire folder with sub folders within it many of the files won't transfer and I have to go in and transfer the content of each sub folder separately. So frustrating. any ideas?
    07-22-15 07:21 AM
    So frustrating. any ideas?
    I wrote this all yesterday. A 64GB SD card (and above) gets another file system (exFAT instead of vFAT from a 32GB card). This leads to serious problems on some OS (especially Linux) when you try to access such a card via USB. May be you need a special driver on your PC to recognize an exFAT file system correctly. Most Windowses should be able to recognize this immediately.
    07-22-15 07:30 AM
    I'm running Windows 7

Posted via CB10
    07-22-15 08:11 AM
    I noticed something else as well. When I format the 32gb card on the phone it created a bunch of folders, such as camera, photos, documents etc, when I do the 64gb it does not

Posted via CB10
    07-22-15 08:13 AM
    I noticed something else as well. When I format the 32gb card on the phone it created a bunch of folders, such as camera, photos, documents etc, when I do the 64gb it does not
    This doesn't matter. This is content. Whenever a SD card gets into a BB the device will put some directories on it. This comes already from OS7.

My Windows 7 always recognizes my 64GB SD card via USB. Never had a problem with this. Note: you must switch off the use of Link on your device. The options of Link and USB do not harmonize. Indeed you don't need Link at all, for nothing.
    07-22-15 08:34 AM
    I didn't think that the directories are significant, just intrigued me that they were being created on the 32gb and not the 64. And oh, another point, when I insert the 64gb card the phone says that the card has an error. Even after formatting.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-15 09:34 AM
    when I insert the 64gb card the phone says that the card has an error. Even after formatting.
    Then it probably has an error. Have you ever used this card in another device (a laptop, a camera)? And stored real files on it?
    07-22-15 10:47 AM
    Try this:

SD Formatter 4.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

Posted via CB10 via the Internets
    07-22-15 12:45 PM
    Try this:

SD Formatter 4.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

Which one do I want?
    07-22-15 04:55 PM
    Which one do I want?
    If formatting the card in the phone fails, try this program instead of the built-in one in Windows

07-22-15 06:18 PM
    If formatting the card in the phone fails, try this program instead of the built-in one in Windows

I realized what you meant. I'm just not sure which file to download from the link that you posted

Posted via CB10
    07-22-15 06:24 PM
    Pick between the two blue options if you're on a mac or windows

07-22-15 06:27 PM
    You can also format a card in Windows, but you have to specify exFAT, which is Microsoft licenced technology. It's their format, and an improved version of FAT with higher limits... :-)

  "BB Android Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."  
    07-22-15 06:34 PM
    Thanks. I'll try all you're suggestions as soon as I'm back to a computer, and report back!

Posted via CB10
    07-22-15 07:05 PM
    I just tried formatting using the utility from your link, and here us what happened: The card formatted and was recognized by windows. I put in my phone and the phone reported errors with the card. So, I formatted again on the phone and the errors went away. That was progress, hadn't had that happen before. Then I put back into the computer, and I was able to open the card, and there were now directories there as well, also progress. I then began transferring folders and files, which at first looked like it was beginning to transfer. But then I began getting errors and suddenly windows no longer recognized that a card was inserted and wanted me to format again. Urggg!
    07-22-15 08:33 PM
    You could have a six sigma lemon, I'd try formatting it on another mobile OS to make sure the card is still usable. Good luck!

07-22-15 11:44 PM
    I then began transferring folders and files, which at first looked like it was beginning to transfer. But then I began getting errors and suddenly windows no longer recognized that a card was inserted and wanted me to format again. Urggg!
    This doesn't sound good. It fortifies my guess that the card himself has issues on some devices. Sometimes this happens with cheap products. Maybe it works in some other devices. I wouldn't use it much longer.
    07-23-15 12:32 AM
    Thank everyone, I think I'll spring for a new card
    07-23-15 09:56 AM
    I've been doing some research online and came up with the following. To get a 64gb card to work in my phone I may need to format to fat-32. Does anyone know if this is true and if yes how I do that? The format section in my computer does not offer fat32
    07-26-15 07:21 PM
29 12