"Huh?" you say.

BB10 development is dead.
    BlackBerry World has lost a ton of apps.
    Box support is ending.
    BB10 will be EOL in 14 months.

But, for me, these ARE the best of times for BB10! One of the frustrating things about BB10, from the very beginning, has been the hit and miss quality of 3rd party app compatibility. BB10 was constantly being defined in terms of what it didn't do.

Now that I've stopped trying to make BB10 act like Android and iOS, I'm free to enjoy the native functions that make BB10 a pleasure to use as a daily driver. It's actually faster than modern Android and iPhones for email and other core tasks, and by a significant margin. Its gestures and display are clean and efficient, and it's stable as hell.

I know that won't work for everyone, as some people simply can't perform essential tasks without apps or services that BB10 can't support, but for those of us who can perform our essential tasks in BB10 with BlackBerry's own and other stable native apps, the next year or so may indeed be the best of times.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 10-23-18 at 03:37 PM.
    10-23-18 09:07 AM
    Fun to use? Sure. But it's not doing anything different than it was years ago, so perhaps "best of times" was back when it was more current with websites and apps. I used to have seven pages of apps on my Z10, now I have one; and none of us moderators can use it on CB anymore since the browser is outdated. Maybe with Passports and Z30's, Z10 just can't.
    the_boon likes this.
    10-23-18 09:39 AM
    As an email/SMS device, I would absolutely agree that one could argue this if one's preferences align.

A fully-functioning native browser is a big missing piece though - even with this minimalist view.
    10-23-18 09:45 AM
    As an email/SMS device, I would absolutely agree that one could argue this if one's preferences align.

A fully-functioning native browser is a big missing piece though - even with this minimalist view.
    I would have agreed with you when the BB10 Web browser was more current. But I have now written it off for almost everything except specific sites that work well, such as Wikipedia, that I have bookmarked.

I now use other devices for browsing the Web, but I have found that my satisfaction with BB10 has INCREASED as a result!

My point, for whatever it's worth, is that, once I accepted BB10 for the things it's best at, and gave up on using it for other functions, I found myself using it more often than when I was trying to use it for functions where better alternatives existed.

For me, at this point, I wouldn't try to generally browse the Web on my BB10 phone any more than I'd try to listen to the radio on my SLR camera!

BB10 phones now exist in a special category between Android and iOS "smart phones" and very limited "feature phones." My recommendation is to enjoy the hell out of them for what they do exceptionally well while we still can.

10-23-18 10:26 AM
    I would have agreed with you when the BB10 Web browser was more current. But I have now written it off for almost everything except specific sites that work well, such as Wikipedia, that I have bookmarked.

I now use other devices for browsing the Web, but I have found that my satisfaction with BB10 has INCREASED as a result!

My point, for whatever it's worth, is that, once I accepted BB10 for the things it's best at, and gave up on using it for other functions, I found myself using it more often than when I was trying to use it for functions where better alternatives existed.

For me, at this point, I wouldn't try to generally browse the Web on my BB10 phone any more than I'd try to listen to the radio on my SLR camera!

BB10 phones now exist in a special category between Android and iOS "smart phones" and very limited "feature phones." My recommendation is to enjoy the hell out of them for what they do exceptionally well while we still can.

Well BB did start out as just mobile email device......
    john_v likes this.
    10-23-18 10:39 AM
    It has and still is functioning as an eln. The freedom you have with local files straight away is hard to forget when using an Android which ironically started glitching out on me 2 hours ago. Was using termux to get some resources and served them over a web server to my z10.

As for the browser, yea websites are stacking too much for what they are really doing and some modern methods really are leaving me to just want to stop leaving fallbacks for a new feature. Sucks loading 3 additional sites through embedded adds that block 50% of what you are looking, not directed at anysite but an accessible web I think shouldnt be so convoluted or difficult.

On the other hand a BB10's capability to inject javascript with a bookmark is a risk and built in access to webkit just makes it more dangerous to admins who are unaware. Though I dont think anyone can use some of these exploits anymore. Still offers an interesting platform to try parallel processes and building architectural models. I can usually manage most things on a clear cache and 5 bookmarklets

Posted via CB10
    10-23-18 11:05 AM
    "Huh?" you say.

BB10 development is dead.
    BlackBerry World has lost a ton of apps.
    Box support is ending.
    BB10 will be EOL is 14 months.

But, for me, these ARE the best of times for BB10! One of the frustrating things about BB10 from the very beginning, has been the hit and miss quality of 3rd party app compatibility. BB10 was constantly being defined in terms of what it didn't do.

Now that I've stopped trying to make BB10 act like Android and iOS, I'm free to enjoy the native functions that make BB10 a pleasure to use as a daily driver. It's actually faster than modern Android and iPhones for email and other core tasks, and by a significant margin. It's gestures and display are clean and efficient, and it's stable as hell.

I know that won't work for everyone, as some people simply can't perform essential tasks without apps or services that BB10 can't support, but for those of us can perform our essential tasks in BB10 with BlackBerry's own and other stable native apps, the next year or so may indeed be the best of times.

Thats why i love BB10 Os and why I bought 2 new Spare Passport SEs for my future...
    AccanthusSpring likes this.
    10-23-18 03:33 PM
    Fun to use? Sure. But it's not doing anything different than it was years ago, so perhaps "best of times" was back when it was more current with websites and apps. I used to have seven pages of apps on my Z10, now I have one; and none of us moderators can use it on CB anymore since the browser is outdated. Maybe with Passports and Z30's, Z10 just can't.
    I hear you, but I am actually enjoying it more now that I'm not trying to use it for everything. Though, as a CB reader, I still prefer the BB10 CB app to the Android one because it highlights threads with unread messages.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    10-23-18 03:39 PM
    I still prefer the BB10 CB app to the Android one because it highlights threads with unread messages
    That is spot on---much prefer the old BB10 app to my android app. I don't even use the android app anymore.
    10-23-18 03:58 PM
    That is spot on---much prefer the old BB10 app to my android app. I don't even use the android app anymore.
    Same here. You can tell when I'm carrying my KEYone because I don't post in CB.

10-23-18 04:11 PM
    I am using a Q10 as a backup at the moment and I have to say I am loving this thing again for emails, texting, calendar, and phone calls - what a beast! Yeah it's a bit of a trip down memory lane for sure, but it's helping me remember all the things I loved about BlackBerry...not to mention why it seems something is always missing from the more recent Android products.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-18 06:08 PM
    I would say that for the basic tasks that a lot of users do, BlackBerry 10 is doing everything very efficiently!

I love the platform and the hardware of BlackBerry 10 devices such as the Q10, Classic and Passport.

BlackBerry 10 in 2018/2019 is what it is and you can't do anything about it. It's an excellent messaging device.

I think the best thing is that we know what we have in this platform, we don't need to question if any of the new apps are coming, if there are any more updates or anything, we know it's current status. There is very little disappointment.

I don't know if it's the "best of times" for people who might have issues with emergency calls or if BlackBerry Link or Blend doesn't work but for people who need the basics, it does a great job and is very unique in terms of hardware and looks.

I look forward to using these devices for as long as possible.

Posted via CB10
    RCJ28 likes this.
    10-23-18 06:41 PM
    Certainly not the best of times for BlackBerry 10, but my best times on a phone are still on blackberry 10.
    Q10SQN100-1/10.3.3.3216

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 and AccanthusSpring like this.
    10-23-18 10:13 PM
    Seriously. Just switched to Android (LG G7). Enjoying the speed, display, etc, but, quite the learning curve.

Just loaded the CB for Android app, and cannot believe the basic items that are missing. The biggest omissions are not showing which threads have unread posts, and the date of the last post.

Deleting and going back to browser.
    10-24-18 12:21 AM
    Seriously. Just switched to Android (LG G7). Enjoying the speed, display, etc, but, quite the learning curve.

Just loaded the CB for Android app, and cannot believe the basic items that are missing. The biggest omissions are not showing which threads have unread posts, and the date of the last post.

Deleting and going back to browser.
    I recommend the Tapatalk app for Android. That's what I use for all of my forums, including those unrelated to Mobile Nations.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lkpro.activity
    10-24-18 03:50 AM
    I recommend the Tapatalk app for Android. That's what I use for all of my forums, including those unrelated to Mobile Nations.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lkpro.activity
    This. The half a dozen assorted CrackBerry apps out there are all Tapatalk underneath anyway, might as well get it from the source.
    10-24-18 06:15 AM
    This. The half a dozen assorted CrackBerry apps out there are all Tapatalk underneath anyway, might as well get it from the source.
    That is indeed true. Where native Tapatalk apps are available for my BlackBerry devices* I would certainly use those in preference to the CB app. However, unless I have missed it, there is no native BB10 Tapatalk app, so that requires using the Android port, which on my Q10 performs poorly –– on that device the BB10-CB app works much better.

*Tapatalk 1.4.7.9 works well on my 9900, and better than the OS7 CB app
    Tapatalk is my go-to forum app on any Android
    10-24-18 07:27 AM
    As much as I hate to say this, but for me it doesn't quite feel like "the best times of BB10"
    I'm not an app junkie myself, but even basic apps and integrated features are falling apart.
    10-24-18 11:44 AM
    As much as I hate to say this, but for me it doesn't quite feel like "the best times of BB10"
    I'm not an app junkie myself, but even basic apps and integrated features are falling apart.
    'Best times' meaning most BB10 fans have entered the 'acceptance' phase of their loss, meaning the product can be enjoyed for what it still is and what it can still do - free of disappointment and unrealistic expectations.

Posted via CB10
    ppeters914 likes this.
    10-24-18 12:16 PM
    'Best times' meaning most BB10 fans have entered the 'acceptance' phase of their loss, meaning the product can be enjoyed for what it still is and what it can still do - free of disappointment and unrealistic expectations.

Posted via CB10
    Well stated, sir!
    10-24-18 12:27 PM
    Not really. When it first released I couldn't STAND 10.0.1 or whatever low number it was. Then when Chen and T-Mobile's CEO had a big fight and development stopped for T-Mobile Q10s I hated BBOS 10 even more before it didn't fix any of the low hanging fruit. I bough a Q20 from Ebay and more of the 'low-hanging fruit' got fixed. BUT I never knew it got fixed because T-Mobile wasn't pushing out updates anymore. BBOS 10 is better NOW than it was. An O/S cannot be built overnight it takes at least a few years for it to figure out its niche and pathway.

I couldn't be happier just wish FireFox or Opera worked on the Q20 now and I'd be fine. When my BB10 goes into sunset I'll either be going back to iPhone or else looking for what new Mobile O/Ses get released as I'm not doing Android no matter who.
    10-24-18 04:43 PM
    I like BB10 right now ad long as I accept its limits like BBOS had. I will ride this pig until it squeals. Android, even in this latest version, is like a hemorrhoid that never heals.

Posted via CB10
    AccanthusSpring likes this.
    10-24-18 05:57 PM
    I like BB10 right now ad long as I accept its limits like BBOS had. I will ride this pig until it squeals. Android, even in this latest version, is like a hemorrhoid that never heals.

Posted via CB10
    I don't use my Z30 much because the browser sucks. Everything else is tolerable.

On another note.....I heard rogues are listening on Trump's iPhone. Maybe BlackBerry can help him out.
    10-24-18 07:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    If this would be true, I'd be really happy. But unfortunately even integral parts of my daily used apps stop working. The following list of Apps clearly shows, that even the status quo is nothing that stable. I'm not looking for some fancy *** apps, just things that worked fine for ages are slowly degrading.

Blaq and Twitter worked from the beginning. And just a couple of months ago Blaq stopped to show comments to tweets.

Navfree worked from the beginning on great. But now Google search stopped working.

Dropbox and Box worked really great and were integrated in the OS file manager. Today both don't work no more. (Luckily Basket is an alternative)

I never tried to make it like Android or iOS. And BB is more than just mail, texts and calls. Because that's something I could still do on any phone. One of the unique features on a BB (the hub) is slowly degrading due to lacking support of WhatsApp, Twitter and so on... Isn't that what makes a BB a BB?

And there are other basic apps as well, that rely on 3rd party support. So what's next? Maybe Evernote? Fahrplan? BeWeather? NewsReader? SuperTube? radio.de? I don't know.

I love my BB and will not abondon it, but there are basic tasks that need to be done when you're your way. So if you don't want to carry a second device you simply have to look for (android / apk) alternatives...
    10-25-18 05:46 AM
    If this would be true, I'd be really happy. But unfortunately even integral parts of my daily used apps stop working. The following list of Apps clearly shows, that even the status quo is nothing that stable. I'm not looking for some fancy *** apps, just things that worked fine for ages are slowly degrading.

Blaq and Twitter worked from the beginning. And just a couple of months ago Blaq stopped to show comments to tweets.

Navfree worked from the beginning on great. But now Google search stopped working.

Dropbox and Box worked really great and were integrated in the OS file manager. Today both don't work no more. (Luckily Basket is an alternative)

I never tried to make it like Android or iOS. And BB is more than just mail, texts and calls. Because that's something I could still do on any phone. One of the unique features on a BB (the hub) is slowly degrading due to lacking support of WhatsApp, Twitter and so on... Isn't that what makes a BB a BB?

And there are other basic apps as well, that rely on 3rd party support. So what's next? Maybe Evernote? Fahrplan? BeWeather? NewsReader? SuperTube? radio.de? I don't know.

I love my BB and will not abondon it, but there are basic tasks that need to be done when you're your way. So if you don't want to carry a second device you simply have to look for (android / apk) alternatives...
    And I agree with you 100%. But the core functions of the device, which are extremely professional and streamlined for business - continue to outperform even the newest iPhone and Android devices from a workflow perspective. This is simply amazing for a 5 year old device with an EOL app ecosystem.

For me...as a backup device, all I really need in addition to those core functions is a usable browser (check), maps (check), weather app (check), and music player with FLAC (check - Jetaudio plus via Amazon app store). For maps and weather the original BB10 stock apps still work.

This little Q10 I picked up as a backup device continues to amaze me. I had no idea I could register my Google account and access all my contacts and calendars; before Android, I still had everything set up on Outlook. Yesterday I even figured out a way to add additional Google calendars by doing a folder sync with Outlook via bblink - after one "sync" the additional calendars were somehow via the magic of QNX transferred over to my device and now all my calendars auto updates from my Google account. LOL.

I love the dark calendar too...and the way meetings pop up in the Hub without being auto-hidden. The menus and sub-menus in Hub. Keeping the last item open so you can pick up where you left off. Why can't they figure any of this out on Android?

Posted via CB10
    10-25-18 09:05 AM
53 123