Hi all,

I'm off to Europe here in 2 weeks and I am getting everything ready for my annual trip to Greece.

I know my way around fairly well but last year I found a situation where my native maps app and BE Maps Pro, quit on me.

I wasn't able to get the turn by turn navigation to work with voice, it was only on screen and when driving, I can't look at the phone. It was a little bit of a hectic situation to get somewhere in Athens for a time sensitive matter.

Any suggestions for apps? Even non internet based ones? I had a very quick look at MAPS. ME but I don't think they have updated their BlackBerry app in a while and it may be out of date.

Many thanks!

Posted via CB10
    07-11-18 05:03 PM
    Hi all,

I'm off to Europe here in 2 weeks and I am getting everything ready for my annual trip to Greece.

I know my way around fairly well but last year I found a situation where my native maps app and BE Maps Pro, quit on me.

I wasn't able to get the turn by turn navigation to work with voice, it was only on screen and when driving, I can't look at the phone. It was a little bit of a hectic situation to get somewhere in Athens for a time sensitive matter.

Any suggestions for apps? Even non internet based ones? I had a very quick look at MAPS. ME but I don't think they have updated their BlackBerry app in a while and it may be out of date.

Many thanks!

Posted via CB10
    My suggestion would be your choice of KEYone or Key2, factory unlocked of course.

;-)

Your welcome.....
    07-11-18 05:10 PM
    Hi all,

Many thanks!

Posted via CB10
    I used to use Waze. I'll see what version works....
    07-11-18 05:13 PM
    My suggestion would be your choice of KEYone or Key2, factory unlocked of course.

;-)

Your welcome.....

Chuck.....your right. I think at this stage it is almost becoming a personal mission to extend BlackBerry 10 for my usage as long as possible. Like a gamble.
    Kind of like when you need to fuel up and your gauge says 2 km's till empty but your convinced you can make it to the next fuel station even though your passing one!

Posted via CB10
    07-11-18 06:09 PM
    I would check out NAVFREE in BlackBerry World Store
    elfabio80 likes this.
    07-11-18 06:23 PM
    Also I purchased Sygic from the Google Play Store which works pretty well on my Passport. Paid good buck for it but it can be installed on three devices at one time.
    07-11-18 06:25 PM
    I used to use Waze. I'll see what version works....

Always appreciate any suggestions and all of your assistance to everyone here on CB.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    07-11-18 06:27 PM
    Always appreciate any suggestions and all of your assistance to everyone here on CB.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks.

The latest version on Play Store works fine (although it's a bit of a resource pig on BB10) - v4.40.0.4.

If you're not happy with Navfree, you can certainly use Waze.

It takes a while to load the first time.
    07-11-18 06:32 PM
    how about Here Maps (used to be Navteq/Nokia maps) https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....here.app.maps .
    07-11-18 07:12 PM
    Chuck.....your right. I think at this stage it is almost becoming a personal mission to extend BlackBerry 10 for my usage as long as possible. Like a gamble.
    Kind of like when you need to fuel up and your gauge says 2 km's till empty but your convinced you can make it to the next fuel station even though your passing one!

Posted via CB10
    But you have to do that in Greece without any traditional map and BB10 phone of your choice..... and use Passporter and Conite recommendations to be fair...
    07-11-18 07:13 PM
    Google is very good at keeping older versions of Google Maps functional. I have tried several and 8.4.1 works very well for me. Get it on Apkmirror.

For offline maps: Navfree from BBW works well for offline navigation and I use Alpinequest (buy it off their website) I use for more detailed Openstreetmap access.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-18 08:49 AM
    I had a very quick look at MAPS. ME but I don't think they have updated their BlackBerry app in a while and it may be out of date.
    Maps.Me uses Openstreet and is web-based.....it is up to date if you use the BB10 version but not sure how great it would be in Athens.
    07-12-18 09:09 AM
    how about Here Maps (used to be Navteq/Nokia maps) https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....here.app.maps .
    Good maps but crasches under bb10 for me
    07-12-18 09:42 AM
    Maps.Me uses Openstreet and is web-based.....it is up to date if you use the BB10 version but not sure how great it would be in Athens.
    I would have assumed that only the interface is out of date, but that the map data itself is newer. Hmmm.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-18 10:12 AM
    I would have assumed that only the interface is out of date, but that the map data itself is newer. Hmmm.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, you are correct. I should have been clearer with that. The map data is up to date but the interface is very dated. I thought the OP was referring to the map data itself being out of date.
    07-12-18 10:39 AM
    Also I purchased Sygic from the Google Play Store which works pretty well on my Passport. Paid good buck for it but it can be installed on three devices at one time.
    Do you use which version of Sygic?

Posted via CB10
    07-12-18 12:04 PM
    OSMand has very updated maps. Version from BlackBerry World works better than latest. Works 100% offline after maps are downloaded.

Maps might take a bit to download... I copied them from an SD card I had in my S7 Edge. YMMV.

Posted with my BlackBerry Classic via CB10
    07-12-18 12:09 PM
    Do you use which version of Sygic?

Posted via CB10
    This is the file on my Passport

com.sygic.aura.150170211

I bought it cause it ran pretty smooth so I'm sure you will like it. Only trouble I had is if I let it sit for a while running in the background and the screen blacks out or I blacked out the screen I had to give it time to catch up when I wake it. I can't completely remember exactly what cause it. It runs good enough for me considering its up to date and and excellent software.

I believe you get a 30 day trial to see how it works for you
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 07-12-18 at 04:59 PM.
    07-12-18 12:35 PM
    OSMand has very updated maps. Version from BlackBerry World works better than latest. Works 100% offline after maps are downloaded.

Maps might take a bit to download... I copied them from an SD card I had in my S7 Edge. YMMV.

Posted with my BlackBerry Classic via CB10
    Even with simpler render styles Osmand renders quite slowly on older hardware. I only use if I really have to (POI search for instance works better than on Alpinequest or Maps.Me).

Posted via CB10
    07-12-18 03:20 PM
    I'm very happy with Navfree. I use it for traveling throughout Europe and never had any real problems so far...
    07-16-18 09:18 AM
    I'm currently in Greece - downloading navfree now and I'll report back

Posted via CB10
    07-16-18 11:39 AM
    Let's have Agatha (the Greek voice) take me to the restaurant

Posted via CB10
    07-16-18 12:03 PM
    Great experience with offline navigation - think I'm keeping it

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 likes this.
    07-16-18 12:53 PM
    Great experience with offline navigation - think I'm keeping it
    Good to know--thanks for the update!
    07-16-18 12:55 PM
    Let's have Agatha (the Greek voice) take me to the restaurant

https://preview.ibb.co/eTMtyd/IMG_20...95601_edit.png

Posted via CB10

Spyros,

When I tried to use Nav Free on my Passport SE, it didn't seem to pick up the destination.

For example: I tried getting the map and turn by turn navigation from the Athens airport to Marousi where I'm staying for a bit. I wasn't able to get Marousi to show up on the bottom field but I managed the airport.

If you think it works well on your Passport perhaps I will give it another try when I arrive next week.

Thx

Posted via CB10
    07-16-18 01:55 PM
50 12