Classact everything you said makes sense. RIM seems to be targeting iOS/Android folks as well as new first-time smartphone buyers with BB10, focusing on non-Enterprise customers at this time. I see how they might hope that this will eventually push BYOD demand for BB10 in Enterprise, but on the flipside, current OS7 BES customers might feel a bit shafted that they can't partake in BES10 goodness for a while. Having waited for BB10 for a while, this makes further waiting for BES10 all the more frustrating.
    12-30-12 05:31 PM
    This is very worrying.

As far as I can figure out the net result for me will be that I will get my company e-mail (exchange server + BES5) through ActiveSync in the "personal space" on my new Z10, meaning it will not go through the BlackBerry data plan of my provider (Proximus), which is one of the main reasons for me to use BlackBerry for my work (I live in Belgium and travel abroad frequently racking up large data roaming costs).

This means I need to switch back to a regular data plan, canceling my BES subscription, until my company implements BES10 (if they ever do). This also means that until BES10 is implemented I will again rack up large data roaming bills.

Is this correct?
    Last edited by filipve; 01-04-13 at 01:29 PM.
    01-04-13 12:42 PM
    If we are a BEST user and out IT group decides to wait on the upgrade, can we as a user use Activesync until they do that upgrade?
    01-04-13 02:22 PM
    BlackBerry users who work in offices that use BES to get their emails on their current devices will require BES 10 to be implimented into their environment if they expect the same kind of service with their BB 10 devices. On the flip side like its clearly stated in many messages in this one thread BES 10 is merly just an MDM solution from RIM, thus your BB10 device will use ActiveSync to get your email from your companies mail server; providing of course they are using Microsoft Exchange servers. There is no mention yet of BES 10 wil work with Domino or any other mail server product out there.

ActiveSync by itself has security features that can be inforced on the server level. So if your IT doesn't need to worry about policing the applications on the device etc. Then BES 10 may not be an option.
    01-04-13 02:57 PM
    If we are a BEST user and out IT group decides to wait on the upgrade, can we as a user use Activesync until they do that upgrade?
    According to this, yes.
    01-04-13 02:58 PM
    So now with BB10 out has anyone had any luck connecting it to their enterprise email? In our company we don't support Active Sync due to its poor security profile. We use BES for Blackberry and Good for IOS/Android. I do believe this will be a major hurdle for BB10 in companies that take a stronger view on Mobile Security.

Luckly we saw this coming and hope to support BB10 by the US relelase date, but I doubt many other companies did as it wasn't well pushed by RIM/Blackberry and as many others have stated, companies are going to be skeptical in investing in Blackberry given it's decline over the last year.
    02-05-13 08:40 PM
    Yes, installed and working here with no problems........

So now with BB10 out has anyone had any luck connecting it to their enterprise email? In our company we don't support Active Sync due to its poor security profile. We use BES for Blackberry and Good for IOS/Android. I do believe this will be a major hurdle for BB10 in companies that take a stronger view on Mobile Security.

Luckly we saw this coming and hope to support BB10 by the US relelase date, but I doubt many other companies did as it wasn't well pushed by RIM/Blackberry and as many others have stated, companies are going to be skeptical in investing in Blackberry given it's decline over the last year.
    02-06-13 03:14 AM
    Yes, installed and working here with no problems........
    Is your company already on BES10 or did you manage to get it working with a previous BES version?
    02-06-13 07:06 PM
    Hello,
    I was very annoyed that the BES did not support ZED 10 but my employer has external outlook connectivity for all devices so I have full sync capability with out BES. The ZED found this out just using the work email interface setup on the BB.

CB Bubba
    02-06-13 09:07 PM
    It seems to be beyond debate that in a situation like mine where I'm a small company/user that does not have its own BES server implementation but rather uses the services of a major Exchange hosting company, it's pretty cut-and-dried that until they fully adopt and implement the BB10 server platform I'm SOL and the only two choices will be to stay with my old phone on the old platform or get a new BB10 phone and use ActiveSync. And all indications so far are that we're looking at a considerably long time. As I said, it seems it could very well be as long as a year from now, if not even longer.
    Your exchange hosting company doesn't use Active Sync? If they are "major" you should be able to just get them to flip the switch on active sync and connect. I had my messaging team flip the switch on my account and 5 minutes later I had all my email, contacts, notes calendar etc right at my finger tips.

Security is there, you can set length of time to get sync'd items IE 30 days etc, force password locks on devices, remote wipe of devices etc. all done over SSL.
    check this out for more info about active sync

Understanding Security for Exchange ActiveSync: Exchange 2010 Help
    02-06-13 10:40 PM
    This is very worrying.

As far as I can figure out the net result for me will be that I will get my company e-mail (exchange server + BES5) through ActiveSync in the "personal space" on my new Z10, meaning it will not go through the BlackBerry data plan of my provider (Proximus), which is one of the main reasons for me to use BlackBerry for my work (I live in Belgium and travel abroad frequently racking up large data roaming costs).

This means I need to switch back to a regular data plan, canceling my BES subscription, until my company implements BES10 (if they ever do). This also means that until BES10 is implemented I will again rack up large data roaming bills.

Is this correct?
    In a nut shell yes, BES/BIS data is no more, even with BB10 it all runs over standard data network. So even if/when you get BB10 server it will still run over standard data plan.

This is normally cheaper as BES plans where/are always more expensive than just your standard data plans from providers. Whatever roaming option you had in place on your BES plan should still be available on your standard data plan.
    02-06-13 10:47 PM
    Is your company already on BES10 or did you manage to get it working with a previous BES version?
    You have to install BES 10 to make them work via BES> you cannot use BES5
    02-07-13 03:01 AM
    Sorry can you tell us what you mean by "we don't support ActiveSync due to its poor security profile"? Obviously your IT guys aren't Microsoft certified otherwise they would know that ActiveSync today isn't a security issue. We are gold certified were I work and friend of mine works for a company who is platinum certified and he's an Exchange guru and thinks your comment is very common among uncertified Microsoft tech that think they know everything.

Form this point on it's ActiveSync or nothing.
    02-07-13 08:48 AM
    I agree, active sync is the same in my experience.

CBB
    I don't understand why people keep saying that active sync is slower than BES. When I receives an email on my blackberry phone, my playbook gets it too in +/-1 second.
    02-07-13 09:49 AM
    I agree with you that ActiveSync isn't slow at all and pushing emails to devices. I just think people who think it is are stupid!

Ooops sorry I forgot to turn my filter on!
    02-07-13 10:13 AM
    These are my thoughts from the research I've been doing and going through the BB10 Ready stuff...

BlackBerry has dropped their propriatary push technology and they are licensing ActiveSync from Microsoft. If you are using a BB10 device syncing with a BES10 server, you are still using ActiveSync to do the end to end communication from your Z10 to the NOC to the BES10 server to Exchange. The NOC is still in play since I have to allow the same outgoing port to the NOC to get BES10 to work, so if you're using BES10, I would think carriers can still block you with out paying for the right plan (Verizon I'm looking at you....)

BB10 devices will only talk to the BES10 server, or directly to Exchange ActiveSync if your company has that option. You will need a seperate server if you want to support BB10 devices on BES10, BBOS devices will not talk to BES10 until an update a few months down the road. BES10 does have a console that will allow you to manage your BES5 devices as well.

If you are also an ActiveSync shop, you can use your BB10 device that way. I'm pretty sure you will lose some of the cool features like Blackberry Balance. If you're a BES5 and Good Mobile Messaging shop, for example, you're probably screwed until your company installs BES10. However, it's also possible Good will port their Android app to BB10 giving you an option for a while anyway. Who knows.
    02-07-13 10:17 AM
    While Active Sync might be secure in its data transmissions, the fact that it has limited wipe capabilities and allows co-mingling of personal/corporate data is what prevents us from using it from a corporate security perspective. BES/Mobile Iron/Good all containerize the corporate data, allow remote wipe of corporate data only and have robust security policies that can be applied against the Data.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-07-13 04:16 PM
    I'm certain this is not correct. While ActiveSync may be the only way iPhone and Android users can sync to the BB system, I assure you -- and anyone else reading this -- that of course when the new platform is fully implemented users of BB10 phones will not need (or want) to be using ActiveSync. For goodness sake. The idea is ludicrous. BES10 (or whatever they call it) will be infinitely superior to using ActiveSync, just as BES with a BB phone today is infinitely superior to ActiveSync today.
    BDS in BES 10 uses Activesync as the mail/PIM processing tool (it does wrapper around it). If your BDS server or the carrier network is down your BB10 device can sync mail directly via wifi/vpn.
    02-08-13 04:27 AM
    Okay, here's another benefit of BES "the way I understand it": total redundancy for secure archiving of all emails etc. A crash with ActiveSync could mean a massive loss of data, but not so with BES. That's separate from the superior speed, which I can only judge based on what RIM techs and my Exchange hosting techs keep telling me.
    I assure you BES does not and never has archived email from the back-end mail server (IBM Lotus Notes/Domino, Microsoft Exchange, Novell GroupWise). We even verified it by examining the database tables of the configuration database BESMgmt.
    smoothrunnings likes this.
    02-08-13 05:54 AM
    I assure you BES does not and never has archived email from the back-end mail server (IBM Lotus Notes/Domino, Microsoft Exchange, Novell GroupWise). We even verified it by examining the database tables of the configuration database BESMgmt.
    DING! You are correct!!

BES only acts as a relay between the mailbox on the server and the device itself; okay there is more to it than that but lets not confuse everyone. ActiveSync virtually does the same thing, so any and all email backup is done on the back end at the mail server level, hopefully in most cases nightly.

Nice picture btw kill_9.
    02-08-13 06:14 AM
    BB10 devices will only talk to the BES10 server, or directly to Exchange ActiveSync if your company has that option. You will need a seperate server if you want to support BB10 devices on BES10, BBOS devices will not talk to BES10 until an update a few months down the road. BES10 does have a console that will allow you to manage your BES5 devices as well.
    Let's get this straight. BES10 aka Fusion Mobile (which is an MDM server service) provides security on the enterprise level to BB10 devices in the way that you can lock down the users device and control what applications they can and cannot install. When it comes to email BES10 uses ActiveSync to push the email out to the BB10 device, it does not interface with the back end mail server like BES5 does, so it doesn't push anything mail wise through the BBRY network to your device...those days are LONG GONE!

Just so you understand again, BES10 is just an MDM server service for your BlackBerry, Playbook, Apple and Android devices. It secures your enterprise level applications and settings, it does not communicate with your Microsoft Exchange Server (email server) like BES5 does, it uses Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync instead.
    02-08-13 06:20 AM
    Is activesync just as safe as BES 10?
    02-10-13 11:32 AM
    No wireless syncing of Outlook Notes over EAS though. This I miss about BES. As far as I can tell GoDaddy doesn't have BES 10 servers yet. And who knows, maybe they won't ever. Other than that I'm fine with the switch to EAS though. And it will be nice when roaming to now have the option of picking up a prepaid SIM...couldn't do this before as no prepaid provider had BES plans.

What about battery life though? Doesn't "Push" on EAS use more juice than BES?
    02-10-13 06:46 PM
    I'm certain this is not correct. While ActiveSync may be the only way iPhone and Android users can sync to the BB system, I assure you -- and anyone else reading this -- that of course when the new platform is fully implemented users of BB10 phones will not need (or want) to be using ActiveSync. For goodness sake. The idea is ludicrous. BES10 (or whatever they call it) will be infinitely superior to using ActiveSync, just as BES with a BB phone today is infinitely superior to ActiveSync today.
    ...and you would be dead wrong. It's out now and many like us are using it successfully, with Active Sync! Guess what else? It works flawlessly and is actually much faster than the older BES technology as well as being as secure, if not more so! Did you also predict the world would end in Dec 2012?
    02-10-13 07:01 PM
    I'm actually surprised that this hasn't been made more of a big issue here on CB. I mean, if BES10 adoption will take so long for companies to implement (like the six months mentioned in a previous post), that could impact BB10's success significantly. Yet, everyone is seeing it through rose-colored glasses and seems to be missing this point.

100percent agree ! Chairman should read this thread. If fixed, BB 10 can easily have 10% increase in bb 10 devices sales within a month.
    12-01-13 05:31 AM
50 12