It is very likely that there will be no way to recover any apps from BlackBerry World after a wipe once BlackBerry shuts down its servers, not from a backup or from BlackBerry World.

In that context, BB10 will have stock apps and Android Jellybean apps.

So, as a stock device, it may work great, but why on earth would anyone want an Android 4.2 phone in 2022?

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    Not that many I would think. But since we are discussing a mainstream usage after that date, we need to think all possible outcomes through. And to me, the safest way to go, at least according to what I have read here, is to get rid of BBID before then. On second thought, why would we need or ID after BB servers go down anyway?
    10-08-20 09:54 AM
    Not that many I would think. But since we are discussing a mainstream usage after that date, we need to think all possible outcomes through. And to me, the safest way to go, at least according to what I have read here, is to get rid of BBID before then. On second thought, why would we need or ID after BB servers go down anyway?
    The only reason to keep your BBID after the service go down is to avoid the reminder messages to log in. If you want to keep using your device after a wipe, then that's the way to go.

saint300 likes this.
    10-08-20 09:58 AM
    The only reason to keep your BBID after the service go down is to avoid the reminder messages to log in. If you want to keep using your device after a wipe, then that's the way to go.

And also to restore native apps you may have backed up with Link.

So basically, you have to pick your poison.
    10-08-20 10:08 AM
    And also to restore native apps you may have backed up with Link.

So basically, you have to pick your poison.
    I haven't tested to confirm that it's possible to to the following:

1) Turn off BlackBerry Protect
    2) Remove SIM and turn off WiFi
    3) Factory restore with the same BBID
    4) Attach to Link and restore apps
    5) Reconnect to the Internet and resume work, without BlackBerry Protect

If that's possible, it seems like the best possible solution.

10-08-20 11:41 AM
    I haven't tested to confirm that it's possible to to the following:

1) Turn off BlackBerry Protect
    2) Remove SIM and turn off WiFi
    3) Factory restore with the same BBID
    4) Attach to Link and restore apps
    5) Reconnect to the Internet and resume work, without BlackBerry Protect

If that's possible, it seems like the best possible solution.

You can't turn off Protect without BBID infrastructure.
    10-08-20 11:43 AM
    You can't turn off Protect without BBID infrastructure.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I know that. I mean doing all that now, when it is possible, to test the procedure.

It will obviously be necessary to turn off BlackBerry Protect before that service shuts down whether or not one removes the BBID.

10-08-20 11:48 AM
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I know that. I mean doing all that now, when it is possible, to test the procedure.

It will obviously be necessary to turn off BlackBerry Protect before that service shuts down whether or not one removes the BBID.

Oh.

Well, BlackBerry Link requires a BBID on the device to restore a backup even though it does not require an active link to the BlackBerry infrastructure.

BUT the downside of having a BBID on the device is that you can't disable BlackBerry Protect, and therefore will be bricked if you wipe or autoload.

And if you try to disable Protect and keep your BBID prior to shutdown, it may re-enable itself without user input as it is apt to do.
    10-08-20 11:50 AM
    Oh.

Well, BlackBerry Link requires a BBID on the device to restore a backup even though it does not require an active link to the BlackBerry infrastructure.

BUT the downside of having a BBID on the device is that you can't disable BlackBerry Protect, and therefore will be bricked if you wipe or autoload.

And if you try to disable Protect and keep your BBID prior to shutdown, it may re-enable itself without user input as it is apt to do.
    OK. I haven't seen that behavior with BlackBerry Protect, but I've heard about it.

Testing that now.

10-08-20 12:01 PM
    OK. I haven't seen that behavior with BlackBerry Protect, but I've heard about it.

Testing that now.

It only seems to turn itself back on at the worst possible time. Lol.
    10-08-20 12:07 PM
    It only seems to turn itself back on at the worst possible time. Lol.
    LOL. I can imagine. I'll see if I can reproduce the behavior consistently, as it's obviously critical to anyone who would like to use their BBID without BlackBerry Protect.

10-08-20 12:13 PM
    Declaration on https://protect.blackberry.com/protect/mydevice if you login to your account, section device management prior to delete a account:

Delete BlackBerry Protect Account
    Deleting your BlackBerry Protect account will remove all of your data currently residing on the BlackBerry Protect servers; however, if your device is still running the BlackBerry Protect application, the next time the application automatically backs up your data a new account will be created. If you do not wish to automatically create a new Protect account in the future please ensure that you have stopped or signed out of the Protect application on your device.

Deleting your BlackBerry Protect account will irrevocably delete all of your backup data currently residing on the Protect servers, and terminate your current web session. Are you sure you want to delete your Protect account?

Ps:
    All my devices are logged out with BlackBerry Protect, all of them are having a red cross marked, confirming BlackBerry protect is disabled from out the device application.. BBID still active BlackBerry Protect account not deleted.

 Classic  Passport  OS10.3.3.3216
    Last edited by BB-nomade; 10-08-20 at 12:34 PM.
    10-08-20 12:13 PM
    Declaration on https://protect.blackberry.com/protect/mydevice if you login to your account, section device management prior to delete a account:

Delete BlackBerry Protect Account
    Deleting your BlackBerry Protect account will remove all of your data currently residing on the BlackBerry Protect servers; however, if your device is still running the BlackBerry Protect application, the next time the application automatically backs up your data a new account will be created. If you do not wish to automatically create a new Protect account in the future please ensure that you have stopped or signed out of the Protect application on your device.

Deleting your BlackBerry Protect account will irrevocably delete all of your backup data currently residing on the Protect servers, and terminate your current web session. Are you sure you want to delete your Protect account?

Ps:
    All my devices are logged out with BlackBerry Protect, all of them are having a red cross marked, confirming BlackBerry protect is disabled from out the device application.. BBID still active.

Thanks!

So, in order to keep your BBID for use with Link Backup and Restore, without using BlackBerry Protect...would this procedure work?

1) Turn off BlackBerry Protect in device settings
    2) Log in to BlackBerry Protect in a browser and confirm that it's turned off.
    3) Delete the BlackBerry Protect account in the browser.
    4) Do NOT re-enable BlackBerry Protect on the device.

Is that correct?

10-08-20 12:34 PM
    Thanks!

So, in order to keep your BBID for use with Link Backup and Restore, without using BlackBerry Protect...would this procedure work?

1) Turn off BlackBerry Protect in device settings
    2) Log in to BlackBerry Protect in a browser and confirm that it's turned off.
    3) Delete the BlackBerry Protect account in the browser.
    4) Do NOT re-enable BlackBerry Protect on the device.

Is that correct?

Step 1 and 2 seams to be correct as stated in my OP, wouldn't do step 3 but remain with step 4 that would work as far I can see, the BlackBerry Protect service would be inactive.
    Nevertheless once the service is shoot down that service is going to be deleted automatically anyway

Importantly is not to have BlackBerry Protect activated prior to the shutdown, BlackBerry Protect service is used to trace a stolen device and remove personal data remotely if the device has a online connection. It's a security service only and is only a adon to the BBID like the payment service which is down already.

10-08-20 12:38 PM
    Step 1 and 2 seams to be correct as stated in my OP, wouldn't do step 3 but remain with step 4 that would work as far I can see, the BlackBerry Protect service would be inactive.
    Nevertheless once the service is shoot down that service is going to be deleted automatically anyway

Importantly is not to have BlackBerry Protect activated prior to the shutdown

OK. Thanks. The only reason for step three is if BlackBerry Protect resets to "On" without the user's action, as I've seen rumored.

If BlackBerry Protect stays turned off, reliably, then there would be no reason to delete the account on BlackBerry Protect.

I haven't seen any documentation on BlackBerry Protect re-enabling itself automatically, but I also tend to believe some of the people who claimed they've seen that behavior.

10-08-20 12:49 PM
    OK. Thanks. The only reason for step three is if BlackBerry Protect resets to "On" without the user's action, as I've seen rumored.

If BlackBerry Protect stays turned off, reliably, then there would be no reason to delete the account on BlackBerry Protect.

I haven't seen any documentation on BlackBerry Protect re-enabling itself automatically, but I also tend to believe some of the people who claimed they've seen that behavior.

Yep that's how I understand it as well, seams to be exactly like you say.
    That automatically behaviour seams strange to me too.

What I do know is that in order to deactivate BlackBerry Protect every device I deactivated via the device settings had to be online to reliable deactivate that service, in my case I only made my daily runner available via wifi hotspot to all the other devices in my stock and hit the button BlackBerry Protect deactivate on every one of them, let it do it's business and job done,

Last edited by BB-nomade; 10-08-20 at 01:01 PM.
    bbfanfan likes this.
    10-08-20 12:51 PM

I've seen BB Protect re-enable itself automatically which is quite ridiculous.

I'm not sure if there's an exact time that Protect servers will be shutdown but I guess you could disable it 5 minutes before the midnight of that date and just keep looking at it ensuring it doesn't re-enable itself, but usually that wouldn't happen in a matter of minutes/seconds anyways.
    10-08-20 01:00 PM
    I've seen BB Protect re-enable itself automatically which is quite ridiculous.

I'm not sure if there's an exact time that Protect servers will be shutdown but I guess you could disable it 5 minutes before the midnight of that date and just keep looking at it ensuring it doesn't re-enable itself, but usually that wouldn't happen in a matter of minutes/seconds anyways.
    Well I have seen that too, but only if that device was not online or didn't get a reliable connection to the BlackBerry Protect server, once it hat WiFi-hotspot it works in a few seconds visual by that spinning circle next to the blue bottom after successful disabling the service the button remains grey

10-08-20 01:05 PM
    Today I observed the following:

1) It took me several attempts to turn off BlackBerry Protect on my phone.
    2) After successfully turning it off, I logged into the BlackBerry Protect server and saw the gray "stopped" hand with the red crossed-through circle and "Theft Protection Unavailable" at the bottom.
    3) I rebooted my phone, and shortly after start-up, I watched the BlackBerry Protect website automatically refresh with Protect turned back ON!
    4) I confirmed on my device that BlackBerry was turned ON.

So, I have seen the issue first hand now, and will try to replicate it. It may be a syncing issue so that leaving BlackBerry Protect off for a minimum period of time before restarting a phone is required.

Currently, I've had BlackBerry Protect off for 30 minutes, and I am going to try again to restart my phone.

10-08-20 01:17 PM

2) After successfully turning it off, I logged into the BlackBerry Protect server and saw the gray "stopped" hand with the red crossed-through circle and "Theft Protection Unavailable" at the bottom.
    3) I rebooted my phone, and shortly after start-up, I watched the BlackBerry Protect website automatically refresh with Protect turned back ON!

So, I have seen the issue first hand now, and will try to replicate it. It may be a syncing issue so that leaving BlackBerry Protect off for a minimum period of time before restarting a phone is required.

Currently, I've had BlackBerry Protect off for 30 minutes, and I am going to try again to restart my phone.

Interesting issue, but yep it may well got something to do with the sync.
    I'd did deactivate my devices on Monday this week and just checked the BlackBerry ID webside today all devices where crossed out.

The rebooting test may woth a try after some time gone past not like in an instant.

10-08-20 01:25 PM
    By enabling my WiFi-hotspot and checked against my passport that was rebooted after it had BlackBerry Protect disabled to test it out..
    By going in to BlackBerry Protect menue in setting I get a notice on the screen saying: "BlackBerry Protect is unavailable unable to connect to BlackBerry Protect service, please try again later"
    Hitting cancel and the BlackBerry Protect button is still grey, so as confirmed online on BlackBerry ID website,
    Looks like to me it is all in order, service disabled and didn't reactivate on it's own automatically.

Just my quick test

By the way!
    I did switched the devices in question down, not just rebooted them, my that helps to narrow the sync issue

10-08-20 01:32 PM

Yes I could replicate your steps too.. same happened to me as well.

Ok did reboot my daily runner which had BlackBerry Protect disabled since Monday and had it confirmed disabled on BlackBerry ID website,,,
    After switching the device off for some time started it up again and BlackBerry Protect button was blue again, means it was active protected but could easily switch that back off (without being asked for my password)!!

Now you are may right with your step no.3 in one of your previous posts. It seams that the protect account need to be deleted and step no.4 has to be remain off, otherwise BlackBerry Protect would create a new session and get active again.

You may confirm that with your testing please.

Last edited by BB-nomade; 10-08-20 at 02:18 PM.
    10-08-20 01:57 PM
    Ok this is how it goes to permanently deactivate BlackBerry Protect, either device by device one after another as follows or all together in one go:

Notice that this will only remove Protect if a device get lost or be stolen this removes only the ability to remotely delete your data or tracking the device and has only 2nd to do with what we usually divine with our BlackBerry ID as such which is obviously mostly known for BBW and apps management!
    Remember BlackBerry Protect is a individual service and will be shut down as such, but not mistakenly mixed up with Link backup or app BBW services and options!

Remove Device
    When you remove this device, BlackBerry Protect will be turned off on the device. You will not be able to manage the device from the BlackBerry Protect website.

If you are selling this device or if you have lost this device, someone else will be able to set up the device and manage it from the BlackBerry Protect website.

Are you sure you want to remove this device?
    Continue

Remove Device
    The device has been removed from your account. You can add the device again through the BlackBerry Protect application on the device.

If several devices are under BlackBerry Protect it is possible to take all devices out of Protect service, but make sure all devices gt the BlackBerry Protect switch turned OFF prior to the process and remain BlackBerry Protect switched off on the device!

Josh Ruiter likes this.
    10-08-20 04:19 PM
    Ok this is how it goes to permanently deactivate BlackBerry Protect, either device by device one after another as follows or all together in one go:

Notice that this will only remove Protect if a device get lost or be stolen this removes only the ability to remotely delete your data or tracking the device and has only 2nd to do with what we usually divine with our BlackBerry ID as such which is obviously mostly known for BBW and apps management!
    Remember BlackBerry Protect is a individual service and will be shut down as such, but not mistakenly mixed up with Link backup or app BBW services and options!

Remove Device
    When you remove this device, BlackBerry Protect will be turned off on the device. You will not be able to manage the device from the BlackBerry Protect website.

If you are selling this device or if you have lost this device, someone else will be able to set up the device and manage it from the BlackBerry Protect website.

Are you sure you want to remove this device?
    Continue

Remove Device
    The device has been removed from your account. You can add the device again through the BlackBerry Protect application on the device.

If several devices are under BlackBerry Protect it is possible to take all devices out of Protect service, but make sure all devices gt the BlackBerry Protect switch turned OFF prior to the process and remain BlackBerry Protect switched off on the device!

This isn't always reliable, as many of us have discovered over the years.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    10-08-20 04:20 PM
    This isn't always reliable, as many of us have discovered over the years.
    So you are saying by deleting the BlackBerry Protect account altogether does not prevent automatically activating of BlackBerry Protect if all devices are taken out and the account is deleted as well???

Please explain that in clear...

10-08-20 04:28 PM
    So you are saying by deleting the BlackBerry Protect account altogether does not prevent automatically activating of BlackBerry Protect if all devices are taken out and the account is deleted as well???

Please explain that in clear...

Yes. I have completely removed it online, and had it showing as disabled on the device for weeks or months, only to find anti-theft still active after a wipe.
    10-08-20 04:39 PM
136 ... 3456