so what sort of basic BB-Diehard-Prepping can be done to avoid being exposed to a shutdown of this BlackBerry Services supposed to be take in action on January/4/2022... or what would effect us that can be called "do we really need that?" to continue using our BB-devices...

well there aren't a lot of BB-services as far I can see that would effect any further use of my beloved Blackberry Classics and Passport for any length of time... even after that doomsday date... may a bit different to Enterprise special services, but this do not apply to individuals...

1. BlackBerry World app:
    BBW is already sort of down, ergo not very helpful for some time yet... only crap app's left anyway, haven't found any app that would be useful to me for ages... and upgrade option for my existing installed app's is off duty for a long time, so BBW app renders useless already!
    solution:
    all the payed app's wouldn't be deleted off the device but rather carefully made regular backup because they can't be confirmed with BBW anymore anyway, the BBW app itself could be deleted via DBBT to make some space and clean up the bulk ;-) don't need a BB ID confirmation to pay or install any new app's or services.
    BB-Payment service is down as well for ages too!

2. BlackBerry Protect service:
    well just switch it off in the settings and that's done with it... never lost a BlackBerry device anyway since I'm started using them in 2013, never needed options to trace my devices or the need to do a remotely erase any of them.
    Solution:
    not a big deal, so that's done too, switch it OFF !

3. BlackBerry Passport-Keeper backup-service:
    only applies if someone using that very useful app to keep your passwords and access infos in a secure environment to have this at quick hand if needed.
    Anyway the BB-Service only applies if you care to do a automatic "Cloud Synchronisation" across your other devices which is handy indeed, but not really needed.
    solution:
    go in to the Password Keeper Settings" delete the Cloud records and switch that option OFF, so that's done as well! BB-Password-Keeper itself can be continued to be used!

4: BlackBerry Blend (if you call that a service):
    been involved in the BB-BETA-testing program
    during its beginning... well this BB-service is only a halve baked attempted that was meant to attract some power user and give BB a edge compare to Android and not even Apple iOS had enything near such like Office feature, but being stopped before it reached matured status for the wider public.... nevertheless it does work for some people for convenience still now.
    solution:
    give it a miss, unfortunately the "sys.fuse.bar" can't be erased of the device... just push that icon in to a junk-folder on your device desktop together with all the other crap thats in your way, like Assistant app, Tutorials, Help and Setup, wich as well can't be erased to make space, just live with that, but will not effect your daily use without a BB-Service!

5. BlackBerry Link Service:
    now that one working perfectly without any active direct login or Server connection to BlackBerry or your BB ID, doesn't even need Internet, no WiFi or anything, can be used on a absolut ancient M$-Win-XP on the biggest Network-Air-gab you can imagine to keep on making reliable Backup/Restore and or device-switches, just make sure you got all working driver on the PC to recognise any of your devices, some Win-XP versions need a "rimusb.sys" installed to find them... but that one can be found on a M$ server and is easily copied in to place too.
    solution:
    Don't forget your device-Password (means not the BB-ID), you gonna need that at least to access and backup.
    make sure all that is working as expected and you are set to go until that M$-win-PC will die rather before your BlackBarry OS10 will give up !

6. BlackBerry BBM plus BBM-Protect Service:
    yeah that's a real bugger...since it works so brilliantly even with BBMe members on the other end, and I got BBM-protect service activated too... if BBM got it's plug being pulle... and stops working or being unusable to OS10 devices, really is a loss, at least to me, since WA, FB and all this are a absolut NO-GO !!
    solution:
    well have to think about that one but may BB decide to move us remaining BB-OS10 user over to BBMe as well as a good-by treat if it comes to the best.

at last I can't think of any other live threatening BlackBerry Service that would rely on their Servers to run our beloved BB-OS10 devices indefinitely after the doomsday date of Jan/4/2022.
    Hopefully we get a final clean-up Update for OS10 that will set us free in to the wild from being dependent on the described issues above (well they are definitely no issue to me anymore anyway, because this are easy to work over) , like allowing to delete all the no longer needed dependency app's that are integrated of BB-OS10... OS-10.3.3.3333 that we have seen for so long on the servers but is unreachable to us so far, my a final OS-10.3.4 will do ;-)

 Classic  Passport  OS10.3.3.3216
    The_Disembodied likes this.
    09-29-20 08:51 AM
    A Link backup can only be made with an active BBID. You can only restore said backup with the same active BBID.

So if you've stripped the device of its BBID (which is required if you ever have to reset your device after the infrastructure is down), you will not be able to restore apps.
    09-29-20 08:59 AM
    A Link backup can only be made with an active BBID. You can only restore said backup with the same active BBID.

So if you've stripped the device of its BBID (which is required if you ever have to reset your device after the infrastructure is down), you will not be able to restore apps.
    you may misunderstand... I'm not taking about stripping a BBID, talking about deactivating BB-Protect only, of cause to do Backup all relevant devices to do switch over or restore ned to remain all on the same BBID... but doesn't need to be confirmed to a BB-server for doing so

09-29-20 09:06 AM
    you may misunderstand... I'm not taking about stripping a BBID, talking about deactivating BB-Protect only, of cause to do Backup all relevant devices to do switch over or restore ned to remain all on the same BBID...

Yes, but as I wrote, you should absolutely strip BBID prior to shutdown. Otherwise you won't be able to reset/wipe/autoload your device after.
    WES51 likes this.
    09-29-20 09:07 AM
    Yes, but as I wrote, you should absolutely strip BBID prior to shutdown. Otherwise you won't be able to reset/wipe/autoload your device after.
    no point doing a reset/wipe/autoload for any active device... why would I go through all that hassle with a handful perfectly working BB-devices ready to fire up ?
    just clone the daily driver with all app's and settings included and the world can go by...
    keep your active devices is maintenance mode and all is good

09-29-20 09:10 AM
    Final cleanup update...... that's wishful thinking.

Biggest issue I see is activation servers... those have gone down it the past, and when they are down.... no device gets past the initial setup after being wiped (or newly bought). Never know when BB ERROR hits or when you just want to refresh the OS.
    09-29-20 09:11 AM
    no point doing a reset/wipe/autoload for any active device... why would I go through all that hassle with a handful perfectly working BB-devices ready to fire up ?

keep your active devices is maintinance mode and all is good

There are many things that can go wrong with an active device that requires a clean install of the OS.

There are several people each and every day here on CrackBerry that have to do that to resolve problems.
    09-29-20 09:12 AM
    There are many things that can go wrong with an active device that requires a clean install of the OS.
    yep that's right ;-)

that's where the pre cloned spare devices call in, setup in time and not if everything gone down already ;-)
    insert the SIM and off you go ;-)

09-29-20 09:15 AM
    only crap app's left anyway
    Lots of great apps there for me. Maybe not for you.
    BlackBerry Blend (if you call that a service):
    Yeah, I call that a service - still use and like it very much (every day that I use my Passport).

As to all the rest - I could be dead by 2022 - don't care until Dec 2021 - but that's just me.
    09-29-20 09:19 AM

There are several people each and every day here on CrackBerry that have to do that to resolve problems.
    well that why this post should make people aware what to expect and what can be done beforehand to resolve their issues before the BlackBerry sky falling apparat ;-)

and may being more carefully what app's to install before some dung hitting the fan... creating a reliable daily driver at best.

09-29-20 09:21 AM
    Lots of great apps there for me. Maybe not for you.

Yeah, I call that a service - still use and like it very much (every day that I use my Passport).

As to all the rest - I could be dead by 2022 - don't care until Dec 2021 - but that's just me.
    Lucky you ;-)

09-29-20 09:23 AM
    well that why this post should make people aware what to expect and what can be done beforehand to resolve their issues before the BlackBerry sky falling apparat ;-)

and may being more carefully what app's to install before some dung hitting the fan... creating a reliable daily driver at best.

Yes. But you should start by suggesting that BBID be removed prior to shutdown. It's the only way of protecting yourself with 100% certainty.
    09-29-20 09:23 AM
    Yes. But you should start by suggesting that BBID be removed prior to shutdown. It's the only way of protecting yourself with 100% certainty.
    actually... if you referring to the titel, that was being cut off during the initial upload to CB... but can't be edited later on, and only should indicate the matter related of that BB announcement was made to that case of shutting down their services to the EOL devices.

in my post itself there is nothing mention of stripping any BBID at all, at least I can't finde any hind on that... I only mentioned that the BB-Link does not need to be active connected to any BB-server to do it's job.

09-29-20 09:35 AM
    actually... if you referring to the titel, that was being cut off during the initial upload to CB... but can't be edited later on, and only should indicate the matter related of that BB announcement was made to that case of shutting down their services to the EOL devices.

in my post itself there is nothing mention of stripping any BBID at all, at least I can't finde any hind on that... I only mentioned that the BB-Link does not need to be active connected to any BB-server to do it's job.

My point is that you should mention stripping BBID as item number 1.
    WES51 likes this.
    09-29-20 09:37 AM
    My point is that you should mention stripping BBID as item number 1.
    sorry can't see the point of that one...

may you enlighten me on how you want to strip a BBID from a device to be 100% certain.... and for what reason...

09-29-20 09:43 AM
    Quick question...

Will Link recognize and back up a connected device if neither is signed in with a BBID?
    09-29-20 09:44 AM
    sorry can't see the point of that one...

may you enlighten me on how you want to strip a BBID from a device to be 100% certain.... and for what reason...

^^^
    09-29-20 09:44 AM
    Quick question...

Will Link recognize and back up a connected device if neither is signed in with a BBID?
    yep ;-)

09-29-20 09:47 AM
    Quick question...

yep ;-)

No.

Link requires a backup to be associated with a BBID.

Likewise, it will only restore said backup to a device with that same BBID.
    WES51 likes this.
    09-29-20 09:55 AM
    ^^^
    Well let's try to get to the bottom of "stripping a BBID" off a device, shall we?

May I forgot to mention that it is may a good move to login to the BlackBerry Protect webside and release all devices connected to your BBID, so this devices are free to be used with a new customer of some sort, other than that.. if a device is buggered up.. requires a new and fresh setup, well scrap it, bad luck if there is no further BlackBerry support available after jan/4/2022 that could confirm a new or old BBID to be created.. but that point may resolved on time by BlackBerry management if we are lucky

09-29-20 09:57 AM
    if a device is buggered up.. requires a new and fresh setup, well scrap it
    Well, that's another way to address it I suppose.

I'd rather just remove the BBID so I wouldn't have to worry about it.
    09-29-20 09:58 AM
    No.

Link requires a backup to be associated with a BBID.

Likewise, it will only restore said backup to a device with that same BBID.
    Absolutly ;-)
    Didn't I mention that?
    But no active online connection needed anyway..to do so

09-29-20 09:59 AM
    Absolutly ;-)
    Didn't I mention that?
    But no active online connection needed anyway..to do so

To remove your BBID completely from the phone... don't you have to wipe it/ factory reset/or run an Autoloader? At which point you still need the BlackBerry activation servers.

I think some are just saying it's better to remove before the systems are shutdown... at that point it might be too late.

But again, I wouldn't worry about it till end of next year. But that time might have moved on for other reasons anyway.
    09-29-20 10:37 AM
    To remove your BBID completely from the phone... don't you have to wipe it/ factory reset/or run an Autoloader? At which point you still need the BlackBerry activation servers.

I think some are just saying it's better to remove before the systems are shutdown... at that point it might be too late.

But again, I wouldn't worry about it till end of next year. But that time might have moved on for other reasons anyway.
    I'll run some tests again next year, but I think that it should be possible to restore to a stock BB10 phone (no apps from BlackBerry World) and skip the BBID entry. You could then side load Android apps. You'd have to deal with annoying reminders to add a BBID, but other than that I think the phone would work ok.

Practically, running my Z10 without any Android apps, I've never had to reset it in the past 7.5 years! I will likely security wipe it once sometime next summer and run it in a pure stock configuration with one or two apps from BlackBerry World that I would prefer not to live without.

I'm WiFi only at this point, so the loss of radio bands doesn't bother me at all, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy the phone as much with the BBID reminder pop-ups so we'll see.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    WES51 likes this.
    09-29-20 10:46 AM
    I'll run some tests again next year, but I think that it should be possible to restore to a stock BB10 phone (no apps from BlackBerry World) and skip the BBID entry. You could then side load Android apps. You'd have to deal with annoying reminders to add a BBID, but other than that I think the phone would work ok.

Practically, running my Z10 without any Android apps, I've never had to reset it in the past 7.5 years! I will likely security wipe it once sometime next summer and run it in a pure stock configuration with one or two apps from BlackBerry World that I would prefer not to live without.

I'm WiFi only at this point, so the loss of radio bands doesn't bother me at all, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy the phone as much with the BBID reminder pop-ups so we'll see.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    You can't restore a backup without a BBID on your device (even though no connection to BlackBerry is required).

But you can't reset your phone after the infrastructure is shuttered if you have a BBID on your device.

That's the catch-22.
    09-29-20 11:49 AM
136 123 ...