08-29-14 12:27 PM
100 1234
tools
    But the phone is unlocked. My understanding is that all Verizon 4G/LTE phones are unlocked. It is working fine on the Bell network too. Unless there is a mechanism in which it locks the updates piece of it.

I think it's because the verizon Z30 is a CDMA phone. Even if you're using a Bell SIM in Canada , it's still locked to Verizon so you'll need to connect to verizon and hope they pushed the update.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 07:39 PM
    But the phone is unlocked. My understanding is that all Verizon 4G/LTE phones are unlocked. It is working fine on the Bell network too. Unless there is a mechanism in which it locks the updates piece of it.
    Unlocked for GSM, but the quirks of CDMA still mean that the phone is talking to Verizon.

Even so, Bell has no reason to push a STA100-3 update, seeing as how they don't sell them.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    06-30-14 07:42 PM
    OK ... so let me get this straight, as this has been bothering me for a bit. So the phone isn't fully unlocked then? CDMA is still locked. In another thread I asked this question, but I thought the phone was fully unlocked.

Also, it seems that updates are also by model number. So even if the phone was fully unlocked (i.e. GSM and CDMA), I still might not get the update since it is based on the model number and the STA100-3 is not in their roster.

Is that correct?

Unlocked for GSM, but the quirks of CDMA still mean that the phone is talking to Verizon.

Even so, Bell has no reason to push a STA100-3 update, seeing as how they don't sell them.
    06-30-14 07:54 PM
    OK ... so let me get this straight, as this has been bothering me for a bit. So the phone isn't fully unlocked then? CDMA is still locked. In another thread I asked this question, but I thought the phone was fully unlocked.

Also, it seems that updates are also by model number. So even if the phone was fully unlocked (i.e. GSM and CDMA), I still might not get the update since it is based on the model number and the STA100-3 is not in their roster.

Is that correct?
    You can stick whichever GSM SIM you want in the device (which is intended for roaming outside Verizon's agreements), but the device will still be provisioned for Verizon. For example, a friend of mine bought a Storm 9550 off of eBay; while it worked fine with his 416 phone number, plugging it into BB Desktop Manager still showed the 347 phone number of the guy who he bought it from. Still, the SIM took precedence.

And yes, updates are based on model number. Unless you bought an unlocked device straight from BlackBerry (where it would depend on BlackBerry), updates would depend on the carrier it's attached to pushing it out. CDMA is a strange case, but it's still Verizon pushing any updates, not Bell.
    06-30-14 08:04 PM
    its 2014!!!!! We on 10.3 alreadyyyyyyyyyy
    06-30-14 08:16 PM
    Maybe you are on 10.3, but I sure am not. Official 10.3 and not a developer version, I may give it a shot.

its 2014!!!!! We on 10.3 alreadyyyyyyyyyy

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    06-30-14 08:21 PM
    You can stick whichever GSM SIM you want in the device (which is intended for roaming outside Verizon's agreements), but the device will still be provisioned for Verizon. For example, a friend of mine bought a Storm 9550 off of eBay; while it worked fine with his 416 phone number, plugging it into BB Desktop Manager still showed the 347 phone number of the guy who he bought it from. Still, the SIM took precedence.

And yes, updates are based on model number. Unless you bought an unlocked device straight from BlackBerry (where it would depend on BlackBerry), updates would depend on the carrier it's attached to pushing it out. CDMA is a strange case, but it's still Verizon pushing any updates, not Bell.
    Thanks Thurask. I appreciate the response.

I think someone needs to update the forums. I think there was a PSA announcement thread that stated that updates were based on the carrier SIM. Based on this discussion, there is an exception and probably something that everyone should know. I honestly assumed that since I was using my carrier SIM and that since everything was working fine, that my updates would be coming from my carrier. However, as has just been verified here, that is not the case.
    06-30-14 08:22 PM
    I think it's because the verizon Z30 is a CDMA phone. Even if you're using a Bell SIM in Canada , it's still locked to Verizon so you'll need to connect to verizon and hope they pushed the update.

Posted via CB10
    This is hard to believe when Bell and Telus both use to be CDMA networks. Only Rogers was using GSM back in the day. I don't think CDMA has anything to do with it.
    06-30-14 08:51 PM

This is Z10 I have is a Telus phone that has been unlocked and is now being using on the VIrgin Mobile Canada network. When VMC pushes out updates, sometimes its a day or two after Bell does their I get them on phone. I don't have to wait until Telus gets around to releasing their updates.
    06-30-14 08:55 PM
    This is Z10 I have is a Telus phone that has been unlocked and is now being using on the VIrgin Mobile Canada network. When VMC pushes out updates, sometimes its a day or two after Bell does their I get them on phone. I don't have to wait until Telus gets around to releasing their updates.
    Exactly. Canadian carriers are all GSM now.

Posted via CB10
    cdnrower likes this.
    06-30-14 08:57 PM
    Got me an update today too on Bell. My sister on EE/Orange UK got it last Wednesday. What's up with that? Lol. Just glad I didn't have to wait very long.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 09:43 PM
    i also got it on my STA-2 once i swapped my carrier's sim (Telstra) with Voda UK then i got this 17MB update as well. so far the wifi connectivity is more stable, slimmer chances of "wifiGate" showing up on my phone but still there is a probability for that.

remember, this "WifiGate" issue will ONLY be solved for good from 10.3 gold master onwards, the current 10.2.1.2977 SR build is just another MR of the previous one, the .2941.

other than that, i can't wait to anticipate the new 10.3 to come over!!!
    06-30-14 09:49 PM
    Never had an issue with Wi-Fi, but got the Bell update today, too.
    06-30-14 10:10 PM
    software release update on Z10 to 10.2.1.2977 (17mb download) from Bell network

OS 10.2.1.3175 - Z10 Bell - My FIRST full touch screen phone.
    06-30-14 10:22 PM
    Please use the existing thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...update-942798/
    06-30-14 10:26 PM
    Nothing for rogers. Usually they are pretty damn fast.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-30-14 10:28 PM
    software release update on Z10 to 10.2.1.2977 (17mb download) from Bell network

OS 10.2.1.3175 - Z10 Bell - My FIRST full touch screen phone.
    Merged with same thread

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
    06-30-14 10:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    my Z10 is a Bell phone and i usually get updates frm Fido
    06-30-14 11:50 PM
    Whoops. I didn't know people don't have it yet. I've had it for a few days already (almost a week), Si.mobil (Slovenia).

Bell 10.2.1.3247 update (SR 2977)-img_20140701_125639.png
    07-01-14 06:59 AM
    The change log is old and reused, it's mostly just battery fixes.
    Doesn't seem so. I think my battery is slightly worse (well, I still have the text message battery drain sometimes) but maybe that's just me.
    07-01-14 07:03 AM

Is that correct?
    I think what he means is that you have an unlocked STA-100-3, not an unlocked STA-100-2. They are similar devices but not actually the same. Like a different model of the same car.
    07-01-14 07:34 AM
    This is what BELL is saying about the update:

Device stability and camera performance improvements
    Fixed ability to reconnect with Mercedes-Benz car kits via Bluetooth
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    07-01-14 07:34 AM
    Doesn't seem so. I think my battery is slightly worse (well, I still have the text message battery drain sometimes) but maybe that's just me.
    Reboot your phone a few times over the next few days..

Akawarrior..
    07-01-14 08:50 AM
    This is what BELL is saying about the update:

Device stability and camera performance improvements
    Fixed ability to reconnect with Mercedes-Benz car kits via Bluetooth
    Recycled changelog from 10.2.1.3175.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 11:15 AM
    This is hard to believe when Bell and Telus both use to be CDMA networks. Only Rogers was using GSM back in the day. I don't think CDMA has anything to do with it.
    You may be correct that those carriers used to be CDMA, but they are no longer as they moved to the same 4g/lte technology as Rogers. They do still have the CDMA Infrastructure for older devices, but all new devices run on the newer SIM card infrastructure which doesn't require the in device programming that CDMA does.

Posted via CB, secret level Z30
    07-01-14 11:27 AM
100 1234