Just curious, how did the people react when they pulled the plug on BlackBerry OS and announced BB10?

Were many people disappointed that BlackBerry OS is no longer developed?
    Is it kinda the same situation with BB10 and BlackBerry Android?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    03-02-17 11:12 AM
    Were many people disappointed that BlackBerry OS is no longer developed?
    Nope, because most were ready to move onto something better. BBOS was wayyy past it's prime and most knew it. The move from BB10 is different for many reasons, least of which BB10 is actually a great OS that never really had it's time to shine and there's nothing 'new and exciting' for BB10 users to move into Android.

Android has been around for years now. If they wanted an Android device, they would have bought one ages ago. On top of that, BlackBerry spent years telling BlackBerry users that iOS and Android weren't as good, weren't as secure, etc. Then they go ahead and flip the script and say we made Android secure.

It's not that easy to just flip off years of, let's call it hate, it's going to take work to change people's minds.
    03-02-17 11:15 AM
    I think those bbos people already happy move on to better OS lol , only left some people still happy using bbos
    Lawrie Sherratt likes this.
    03-02-17 11:17 AM
    I come back from time to time ( one month every quarter) to my 9810. I still enjoy it.
    Rest of the time I'm using a Passport and a Q10

Posted via CB10
    03-02-17 12:49 PM
    Why? Did my phone stop working?
    My car didn't get a single update for the past 8 years, nobody seems to have a problem with that. My laptop is even older, though the OS is about the same vintage as my car. I've got a 10yr old jacket that still keeps me warm, if you can believe it.
    Why is it people feel the need to have constant updates on their devices? Maybe because the original release wasn't well designed in the first place?

By now I'm sure there are a handful of security vulnerabilities unpatched and a few dangling bugs in the OS 7 or apps, but by and large the communications standards haven't changed.

I'm still using my 9900 most days (like right now!) and I seem to get by with very little trouble.
    Communications get sent my way, I can read & respond. I get documents, web links, appointments, it all still works.

It's not like I don't have 5-6 newer other phones in my inventory, but the 9900 still works very nicely, I can choose to keep cranking away on it.

Yah, sure, I know people like to say "but it doesn't have WhatsApp!", but you know there are over a billion WhatsApp accounts apparently, but with well over 4 billion mobile users, you can say 3x more people do NOT need WhatsApp than those that do.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-02-17 04:33 PM
    I'm still using my 9900 most days

It's not like I don't have 5-6 newer other phones in my inventory

paulie, they didn't really pull the plug on BBOS when BB10 came out, but for a power user, should have a year prior. The timer spin, lag, and OS limitations were getting tiresome to deal with. At the same time, when BB10 came out performance was decent, but the OS was woefully unrefined, missing a lot of features BBOS rocked with. I was happy BB10 came out, and maintaining BBOS simultaneously would have been unsustainable.

Looking forward now, it's sad, but one has to accept, the road BB10 is on has reached a dead end. Overall, it's a splendid OS at this point, but with no ecosystem, no consumers, and so many similarities to Android, if one cares about having a BlackBerry in their future with a future, then they must release the pent up emotion, bundled in so many blames, and embrace the only path their cherished brand could take.

Of course just like those who are still content on BBOS, there will be many carrying a BB10 phone for years to come. That's great if it satisfies all your needs and wants.
    03-02-17 11:01 PM
    When bb10 came, it is still under blackberry, so you kind of still have a connection with it. It is more on an upgrade. A betterment of the older one. But when they move to android, it is something else. Something most of us try to avoid all these while and now bb are using it. I myself has gotten myself an iphone. Even i love bb, but i cant consider my self using an android. And i need whatsapp. So between android and iphone, i go for iphone.
    03-09-17 05:58 PM
    One member here - Belfastdispatcher - was very upset. He went on and on about the virtues of the BBOS and BIS. Right up to maybe a year ago.

Haven't heard from him in some time now.

The biggest problem any current BBOS phone will encounter is the shutdown of BIS in various parts of the world. I understand T-Mobile is already out. AT&T and Verizon is shutting it down later this year. The phone portion will still work. But email won't.

Joel
    BigBadWulf and anki7 like this.
    03-09-17 06:30 PM
    But when they move to android, it is something else.
    If you had tried it, you'd most likely have found it very similar to BB10, and it is their only hope of a future. I hope you enjoy iOS. Sincerely. If you ever feel a longing for BB10 though, I recommend you giving BlackBerry Mobile a shot.
    03-09-17 11:00 PM