Bedside mode on BB10 turns out to be little more than a Profile changer. And that's too bad, because the settings actually make it seem like it can do much more.
    Bedside Mode: What it does vs. What I expected.-img_20140810_114244.png
    The settings result in these actions:
    Off/Off: Airplane mode.
    On/Off: Silent mode.
    On/On: Phone calls only mode.
    _____
    Unfortunately the final combination is not allowed (greyed out); that would be the only one that would actually give Bedside Mode a distinctive feature.
    Off/On: No Data, but Incoming calls(sms?) would still work.
    This would be a great option because it gives people an actual battery/data saving mode at night, while still being reachable for emergencies (I have read people asking for this exact option before).

So basically what I am saying:
    I wish they would separate Wireless connections into Data and Voice and allow Bedside mode to toggle these separately!

Channel: C0007CC89 | CB10 signed.
    08-10-14 05:35 AM
    Oh, I already use that when I am on the go, when I only want to recieve calls/sms, but allow myself forgetting about email and surfing the net...
    The option you miss is accessible fast with 2-3 gestures:
    Turn data off, this way:
    Set up your "fast settings" screen to see the network, then don't click on the symbol, but on the name of the carrier:
    Example here: when I swipe down, I see this setting:

Bedside Mode: What it does vs. What I expected.-img_20140810_130953.png

Then, I don't tap on the "Antenna symbol" because that toggels on/off, but on the word: "Mobilfunknetz/Telekom-de"...
    This opens this window:

Bedside Mode: What it does vs. What I expected.-img_20140810_130946.png

Turn off the second button (mobile data) and TATA: You have the setting you requested!!
    Okay, it's not in Beside mode, but the setting is there... you can turn into bedside after that!!
    Cheers.

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    08-10-14 06:19 AM
    Bedside mode on BB10 turns out to be little more than a Profile changer. And that's too bad, because the settings actually make it seem like it can do much more.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140810_114244.png 
Views:	3079 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	289962
    The settings result in these actions:
    Off/Off: Airplane mode.
    On/Off: Silent mode.
    On/On: Phone calls only mode.
    _____
    Unfortunately the final combination is not allowed (greyed out); that would be the only one that would actually give Bedside Mode a distinctive feature.
    Off/On: No Data, but Incoming calls(sms?) would still work.
    This would be a great option because it gives people an actual battery/data saving mode at night, while still being reachable for emergencies (I have read people asking for this exact option before).

So basically what I am saying:
    I wish they would separate Wireless connections into Data and Voice and allow Bedside mode to toggle these separately!

I'm trying to grasp exactly what you are referring to. Here's how it works on my Z10. I have the wireless connections button set to ON. That prevents any notifications of ANY kind from showing up on my phone at night. If I choose to turn ON the allow phone calls button, that's the only thing that will be allowed to be activated when Bedside mode is turned on. No texts, just phone calls. I choose to leave that button OFF. When I wake up to my alarm and turn Bedside mode off, all my notifications of events that came in during the night then show up, including phone calls and voice mail. I also have my phone plugged in to the charger while I sleep. If yours is not working this way, you have an issue. It does work according to the way the settings say.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    08-10-14 08:14 AM
    Oh BTW, if you have your phone call profile set to anything but Normal, when you turn on Bedside mode to allow phone calls, it will only vibrate or be silent. Try changing the profile and see if that gets you where you want to be.

08-10-14 08:17 AM
    Anischab showed what I wanted.
    ...I have the wireless connections button set to ON. That prevents any notifications of ANY kind from showing up on my phone at night....
    That doesn't disable the radios, just the notifications. Only when you set it to OFF does it turn off all the radios:
    Bedside Mode: What it does vs. What I expected.-img_20140810_223032.png
    And that means you can no longer receive phone calls either. What I want is the option for Bedside mode to disable only Mobile data (like Anischab showed but automated). That would make it a much more useful function instead of just a notification muter/airplane mode.

08-10-14 03:37 PM
    How do I get into bedside mode settings? I enable airplane mode every night before bed, but I would prefer to have bedside mode enable this automatically.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 03:53 PM
    How do I get into bedside mode settings? I enable airplane mode every night before bed, but I would prefer to have bedside mode enable this automatically.

Posted via CB10
    Bedside mode settings can be accessed through the alarm clock app.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-2 / 10.2.2.1531 / Vodafone Germany
    08-10-14 05:04 PM
    Bedside mode settings can be accessed through the alarm clock app.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-2 / 10.2.2.1531 / Vodafone Germany
    Thank you. Makes sense, I guess.

I just tested it, and it doesn't seem to disable wireless connections, though.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 08:03 PM
    In 10.2.1 you can set up "quick settings" (the green symbol, first icon here:
    Bedside Mode: What it does vs. What I expected.-img_20140811_060103.png
    and order them as you like... I have enabeled these:
    Bedside Mode: What it does vs. What I expected.-img_20140811_055848.png
    Bedside Mode: What it does vs. What I expected.-img_20140811_055843.png
    I get this:
    Bedside Mode: What it does vs. What I expected.-img_20140811_060351.png
    Bedside Mode: What it does vs. What I expected.-img_20140811_060349.png
    The order is variable, too! (press the up&down arrow to move the quick setting to change its position.

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    08-10-14 11:06 PM
    Anischab showed what I wanted.
    That doesn't disable the radios, just the notifications. Only when you set it to OFF does it turn off all the radios:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140810_223032.png 
Views:	2226 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	290066
    And that means you can no longer receive phone calls either. What I want is the option for Bedside mode to disable only Mobile data (like Anischab showed but automated). That would make it a much more useful function instead of just a notification muter/airplane mode.

It never ceases to amaze me that people who spend hundreds of dollars on a smartphone will quibble about the miniscule amount of data involved with email. And as for battery issues over night, plug the dang thing into the charger. Or spend some more money and buy another charger. If you don't want to see that dim clock that shows up when you are plugged in, shut your eyes and go to sleep! If you can't afford the expenses of smartphone use, you probably don't need one. And feel free to ignore me any time.

BionicKris likes this.
    08-11-14 08:10 AM
    Why would I ignore you for your opinion? Discussion are useless if all parties agree beforehand.

That said, data/battery consumption was not supposed to be the main argument. I have no use for saving data on my plan, besides it is easy enough to manually change settings already anyway. I am simply wondering out loud why we do not see many small and convenient improvements like this, when they seem so obvious. Just to make the OS feel more automated/integrated/"smart".

Sometimes we see evidence that they do try it, like photo editing that used to have more options, or the Clock backdoor which showed good UI improvements. But somehow they never end up in the finished product.
    For Bedside Mode, a data toggle just seems like the obvious next step to improve its functionality. And one that would take minimal effort.

As for the practical use: it would just be another shortcut really, which is already what Bedside Mode does anyway.
    BB10 is usually regarded as a good OS because of the built-in features, so I do not think it is so strange to ask for improvements in that area!

08-11-14 10:00 AM
    It never ceases to amaze me that people who spend hundreds of dollars on a smartphone will quibble about the miniscule amount of data involved with email. And as for battery issues over night, plug the dang thing into the charger. Or spend some more money and buy another charger. If you don't want to see that dim clock that shows up when you are plugged in, shut your eyes and go to sleep! If you can't afford the expenses of smartphone use, you probably don't need one. And feel free to ignore me any time.

The reason I want airplane mode enabled (all data/calls/texts/wifi disabled) is because I don't need my phone up next to my head causing me who knows what issues later in life. It's precautionary.

Posted via CB10
    olivopuccino likes this.
    08-11-14 10:01 AM
    The reason I want airplane mode enabled (all data/calls/texts/wifi disabled) is because I don't need my phone up next to my head causing me who knows what issues later in life. It's precautionary.

Posted via CB10
    Well, if you have that all disabled, there's no need to have it anywhere near you anyway. Leave it in the other room. Or put on your tin foil hat.

08-11-14 10:43 AM
    Personally, I find Bedside Mode could use a lot more features. As it stands there are two options. The old OS had activate when charging, and activate during certain times, or a combination of both. At the very least it should have a profile selector so you can change to a custom notification profile. Currently I don't use Bedside Mode, but if they added these features I would.

I think Bedside Mode is a great feature, but for me, like the OP, it's missing the features to actually make it useful. It should have a ton of options.
    MrGlenn and BionicKris like this.
    08-11-14 01:18 PM
    NVM.
    Last edited by MrGlenn; 08-11-14 at 04:29 PM.
    08-11-14 02:18 PM
    Bedside mode works exactly how I need it to.
    I plug my phone in every night, swipe down, and go to sleep. Notifications except for phone calls are muted but still come in. I and probably most users do not care for data to be turned off.

STL-4. 10.2.1.3274 w/ 1259 clock
    misterabrasive and amclanejr like this.
    08-11-14 06:50 PM
    Well, if you have that all disabled, there's no need to have it anywhere near you anyway. Leave it in the other room. Or put on your tin foil hat.

Tinfoil hat? There have been scientific studies indicating dangers associated with cell phone use.

Why are Crackberry users some of the least-informed, anti-intellectual, and needlessly abrasive people on the internet? I don't get it.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 08:03 PM

I think OP said that he still wanted the phone to receive calls for emergencies so putting it far away kinda doesn't make sense? Anyway, I have the same issue with the OP. The battery drain I have on the current OS in bedside mode somehow is huge. If I disabled wireless connections, then battery saving mode in bedside mode actually works very well but it disables incoming calls.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 09:01 PM
    If you don't want the danger associated with having the phone near your head, don't sleep with your phone. Bedside more works as intended. It is designed to be used with the phone plugged in and charging.

Seriously, if you want everything turned off at night and are afraid of some perceived risk of having the radio on near you, turn the phone off and put the phone in a table, there is no law saying the phone cannot be turned off. People make things more complicated than necessary.

Posted via CB10
    VeryBumpy likes this.
    01-18-15 07:41 AM