I see quite a lot of bad reviews in BBWorld now. Most of the time it's because people don't know how to use The basics of their phone. Like they think there's missing features because they don't know how to access the menus, both android and BB. And the common one star because of porting even though the app works fluidly and well. Anyone notice this a lot? And sorry to the devs, thanks for the great apps don't get discouraged if someone doesn't know how to use their phone.
    yellowhammer, madx80h and SDTRMG like this.
    05-10-13 11:26 AM
    Yeah I see this all the time, another common ignorance is 'the app has to have an active frame to work'

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 11:44 AM
    The same thing happens with any technology, some are easy to understand and some are not. Not everyone understands how to use or even needs to use or wants to learn all of the capabilities of the phones. My wife likes using the Bluetooth connection to her car for phone calls. We went on a trip and to save power turned off Bluetooth, today she ask me to take look at car because she was having to answer the phone directly. Very basic for some people to know that the Bluetooth connection was not happening, but not everyone.
    05-10-13 11:50 AM
    And to be honest most times its just asymmetric information , best thing to do is just help people understand and spread the knowledge, but that can damage some people's careers so... its a balance

It's one thing to have technology, it's another thing to use it

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 12:14 PM
    I'm pretty worried about the knowledge affecting the rating of an app. I want people to support the app and devs. Keep them developing for BB or developing. Programming's a job it sucks to be discouraged because people skim through the toutorials. Which I did an took a little while to find out how to recall the Android menu.
    05-10-13 12:21 PM
    Well I'm not a developer, but I'm the type to use any kind of complaints as an opportunity, I know a few devs actively interact with the online community helping with any question and such, but I understand there are situations for example if it's someone's first app or something, or they just let it get to them that it can get stressful, but people are people, and untill there is a way to teach everyone everything efficiently, there will always be a lag between what people like you and me know, and what general consumers know, and like I said, some people make information their careers..

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 12:36 PM
    In terms of rating, it's a relative thing, so u would say it has not big effect overall as in an app that's highly rated vs an app that low rated will have in general the same mix of people and so it's still down to how the developer does it, and as said above, they can use it to get in touch with their consumers and build a relationship which in the long run can get then loyal customers just from a simple response..

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 12:38 PM
    If the review is obviously unfair the developer can request it be denied through the BB World Vendor portal. I haven't had any problem getting the kind of reviews you're talking about removed. Devs must be careful not to abuse that but it does bring balance to the echo system.

One issue that I do see is vendors not providing an easy support structure. I publish a support email address, but many only supply a website. When you go to the website it is either difficult or impossible to find a way of asking for help. Under those conditions it is understandable that applications will get bad reviews from people who can't get them to work, or get help with their problem.
    05-10-13 01:03 PM
    That sounds good, I didn't know about the developers powers, but yeah that's the other side as well which I was saying about setting channels of clear communication between the developer and the consumers..

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 01:22 PM
    Thanks OP. Most of us devs have pretty thick skins.
    05-11-13 04:19 AM
    I have heard that sometimes vendors will post bad reviews of their 'competition' on weekends to suppress downloads. Coincidentally all my bad reviews have happened on weekends. So far all my apps are free so a bad review can actually help (there is no such a thing as bad press). Most of my programs are pretty specific and targeted at a small segment of the user base.

This saturday a person left this review on my Hello GPS application:
    It had my house located in the sea! Odd because the BlackBerry maps app found my house exactly

I don't know what the problem is and probably never will since the user chose to leave a review rather than send support an email. The interesting part is my download rate. The bad review was left on the 11th, on the 12th my downloads had gone from a steady 50/day to 750 for the day. Here is the graph:

BBWorld Bad Reviews-capture.png
    Last edited by Richard Buckley; 05-12-13 at 08:25 AM.
    05-12-13 07:50 AM
    I find the aggravating fact to be that people choose to post a review to post irrelevant information such as "It doesn't work" or "How do you use it?"

I mean, that's what you post to support, not to review. You can't pull a review yourself, so even if the problem has been solved, the review will still stick, and that's bad form

Posted via CrackBerry 10
    05-12-13 07:59 AM
    I find the aggravating fact to be that people choose to post a review to post irrelevant information such as "It doesn't work" or "How do you use it?"
    Check out some of these reviews for an app designed to work with a camera attachment. Clearly none of them read the app description or own the attachment. I kind of feel bad for the developer :/

BBWorld Bad Reviews-img_00000368.png

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 12:00 AM
    I have and it's sad, even people complaining about permissions and giving bad stars because of it. On ios you don't even see the permissions when installing an app, and on android some apps won't work without certain permissions, it's the same on bb10. I feel it's mostly Bbos7 with that mind state.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 02:14 AM
    Yeah I see this all the time, another common ignorance is 'the app has to have an active frame to work'

Posted via CB10
    Some of them do, though.

Posted via SEGA Master System
    05-13-13 02:34 AM
    Some of them do, though.

Posted via SEGA Master System
    Yes but this is not the developers fault as BlackBerry haven't allowed background functionality as yet

Kind Regards
    05-13-13 01:13 PM
    This has been a big problem on Android too. Stupid one star reviews.

One thing they did right recently was to connect G+ to Play Store so that you can no longer be anonymous when commenting apps. Well you sort of can but you get my point. It did seem to make things better regarding reviews.
    05-13-13 02:55 PM