There are little things with BBOS that I did find a little nicer. For example, the ability to define how many times a ringtone is repeated. I liked the BBOS way of being able to menu click on an icon, and get some options like move and create folder. The BB10 way is efficient as well, but I didn't have any issues with the way it was done on BBOS. I also liked the way you could scroll your icons vertically all on the same page. In BB10 we are flipping to the next page, but in BBOS you would set things up to scroll both horizontally and vertically.

I love BB10, and I own a Z30 and Classic, but there is no doubt in my mind that there were some great features that made for good efficiencies in BBOS. It was a proven OS for its time, and BlackBerry should be investigating to bring all of those sorts of special capabilities to at least the Classic (like they did with the keyboard shortcuts).

What hourglass?
    My Classic with BB10 reboots after each update.
    I have way more lag on my Classic than I did on my 9900. Especially launching an Android app.
    BBOS had more apps than BB10.
    And so on???
    I think what he meant was having to reboot after uninstalling most apps, even in some cases after an install. Rebooting your phone after a major OS upgrade is completely understandable. You would have to do that with Unix and Windows operating systems as well.
    05-11-15 10:14 AM
    I'm no programmer, but what's the difference between a java based app like for BBOS and java in the browser?
    Most browsers only support Java as legacy now, and very few support Java by default any more. This is mainly for security since Java has become a significant security problem over recent years.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2708 SR 10.3.1.1865
    05-11-15 10:19 AM
    Android is not Java. Android is based on the Linux kernel. The BlackBerry OS was based on JavaOS. It may have been a RIM proprietary OS, but it was based on Oracle's OS and what it could do. Android apps could be written in Java just as BlackBerry apps could be.

Still - totally different OS.
    And bbos kernel was written in c. The kernel doesn't make the majority of the os. It is a very small portion. Everything you see and interact with in android along with the applications are java.

Anyway the point isn't about the Java language. It's about BlackBerry starting from scratch using a os that was never meant to run mobile devices instead of using a pre existing framework android or bbos.

Posted via CB10
    kirson likes this.
    05-11-15 10:36 AM
    BB10 just needs to reach the level of personalization and customization that BBOS had. The interface is great, it's an easily navigable OS, and somewhere south of IOS and north of Android in terms of ease of use.

Get back the customization level we lost with bbos and I think many of the complaints will disappear.

BRING BACK AUDIO BOOST! -Posted from BlackBerry Classic
    Soapm, kirson and hannahayek like this.
    05-11-15 10:51 AM
    What most people saw as BBOS was a Java ME application running on a modified real-time kernel adapted from a commercial product.

Unlike Android, in which each Java application runs on top of its own VM, on BBOS all the applications were linked into one large Java application with the "operating system" and run on a single Java Virtual machine. This was state of the art when it came out but was showing it's age by the time BBOS 6 was released. In order to get anything like a browser experience like the competition they had to compile Webkit to run as an application directly on the RTOS and outside of BBOS proper. It became clear that soon other important applications would require the same treatment, including third party applications. That would require a well supported multi-user OS with good development tools.

They could have gone with Android, but truly secure versions of Android have not been any better commercial successes than BB10, and are far more difficult to update as the main core of Android advances. QNX is a good choice, but BB10 is no more QNX than Android is Linux or iOS is BSD. Each system is built on its respective Operating System, but in the end does not share much with other products built on the same OS.

BBOS had to go. The features that would allow the same level of integration in BB10 as the last versions of BBOS are coming. They are being introduced in as slow and methodical a way as they were in BBOS. It may be too slow for some, but this is how they avoid the large security issues that other manufacturers have had to content with.

rthonpm likes this.
    05-11-15 10:59 AM
    Give me a break. Bbos was good 5 years ago and is now why BlackBerry is the laughing stock of the mobile world. It is antiquated and awful. BlackBerry 10 is sleek, new and a step ahead of the competition when it comes to innovation. Because it is different then bbos does not mean it is bad.
    I strongly disagree, BBOS is what made the name BB in the days when battery pulls and rebooting your phone was common. Not so with BB. For a while there BB was becoming a household name that was associated with quality and innovation. If you wanted the best communication device with PIM, you got a BB...

Then they tried competing in the low end consumer market and made some devices that to be honest didn't deserve the BB name. Leap in my opinion is another of those devices... WHY??? Who in that market wants a BB?? But you attract in the low end device crowd and greet them with the lack of native built in features and few third party apps and you ended up with a BB Name that was loved by user's who wanted a reliable, conservative communication device but laughed at by those who wanted flashy, tricked out game boy's in their pocket with all the latest fads one could imagine (instagram, FB, snapchat, etc...).

Sure, if you compare all the things Android and iOS can do you win hands down. But do I need all those things in my pocket? Not me but to each its own.

It was like Bentley trying to compete with Yugo??? Why, accept your place as less than 1% of the market share but be the best you, you can be in that market... And remember, most BB out there are still running BBOS as a testament to what made BB a name to be reckoned with.
    kirson likes this.
    05-11-15 01:26 PM
    BBOS had to go. The features that would allow the same level of integration in BB10 as the last versions of BBOS are coming. They are being introduced in as slow and methodical a way as they were in BBOS. It may be too slow for some, but this is how they avoid the large security issues that other manufacturers have had to content with.

This is a five year old song that's loosing its volume. You're like the buggy salesman still yelling, "who needs AC, we'll give you all the fresh air you can stand..."
    05-11-15 01:31 PM
    I strongly disagree, BBOS is what made the name BB in the days when battery pulls and rebooting your phone was common. Not so with BB. For a while there BB was becoming a household name that was associated with quality and innovation. If you wanted the best communication device with PIM, you got a BB...

Then they tried competing in the low end consumer market and made some devices that to be honest didn't deserve the BB name. Leap in my opinion is another of those devices... WHY??? Who in that market wants a BB?? But you attract in the low end device crowd and greet them with the lack of native built in features and few third party apps and you ended up with a BB Name that was loved by user's who wanted a reliable, conservative communication device but laughed at by those who wanted flashy, tricked out game boy's in their pocket with all the latest fads one could imagine (instagram, FB, snapchat, etc...).

Sure, if you compare all the things Android and iOS can do you win hands down. But do I need all those things in my pocket? Not me but to each its own.

It was like Bentley trying to compete with Yugo??? Why, accept your place as less than 1% of the market share but be the best you, you can be in that market... And remember, most BB out there are still running BBOS as a testament to what made BB a name to be reckoned with.
    Many businesses use things like Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat for communication and marketing. Those apps aren't just for kids.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-11-15 02:58 PM
    Many businesses use things like Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat for communication and marketing. Those apps aren't just for kids.

Then BB should have developed those tools for their OS instead of counting on 3rd parties to accommodate the crowd. But as usual, from Waterloo, we hear the sound of silence which is why BB is laughed at. Not because of BBOS, but because they're always last to make native what others consider standard equipment.

It was the same when AOL and all those chat client were popular, all we had was BBM and they never made it speak to the other chat clients which meant you couldn't communicate to the desktops back at the office like you could with other phones...
    05-11-15 03:31 PM

Wait... there are businesses that use Snapchat and Instagram?

Really?

Facebook and Twitter, yes. Those I know and understand.

Snapchat, especially, seems kind of limiting.

Posted via CB10
    Soapm likes this.
    05-11-15 03:41 PM
    Wait... there are businesses that use Snapchat and Instagram?

Really?

Facebook and Twitter, yes. Those I know and understand.

Snapchat, especially, seems kind of limiting.

Posted via CB10
    Yep. They use it because their customers use it. Think of it as a commercial.

05-11-15 04:24 PM
    Yep. They use it because their customers use it. Think of it as a commercial.

Doesn't sound like any business I've dealt with. Twitter and Facebook I can see, but Snapchat just seems like stretching the definition of a business app.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 04:42 PM
    Doesn't sound like any business I've dealt with. Twitter and Facebook I can see, but Snapchat just seems like stretching the definition of a business app.
    Agreed. Snapchat and Instagram as essential business tools is really stretching. In that case I'm sure a business case for Netflix, Pinterest and Microsoft Paint can be made if you try hard enough.
    rthonpm likes this.
    05-11-15 10:32 PM
    Agreed. Snapchat and Instagram as essential business tools is really stretching. In that case I'm sure a business case for Netflix, Pinterest and Microsoft Paint can be made if you try hard enough.
    Think of a social network and it could be used as a business tool. There are many types of business, BlackBerry should work on the integration of all major social networks.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 09:54 AM
    Many retail businesses have snap chat client lists just like email lists. They send out videos of new inventory and sale prices. This is the case with small one owner businesses as well as larger chains. Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

05-12-15 09:57 AM
    Think of a social network and it could be used as a business tool. There are many types of business, BlackBerry should work on the integration of all major social networks.

Posted via CB10
    To further your thought, "into BBM..."

Adapt all social networks and chat clients into BBM which would make BBM that one stop shop and a premier place of integration...
    05-12-15 10:27 AM
    Many retail businesses have snap chat client lists just like email lists. They send out videos of new inventory and sale prices. This is the case with small one owner businesses as well as larger chains. Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it isn't happening.
    Yeah sure, if you say so.
    05-12-15 11:14 AM
    To further your thought, "into BBM..."

Adapt all social networks and chat clients into BBM which would make BBM that one stop shop and a premier place of integration...
    I dislike this, it would end up with BBM being a bloated pile of crap that would be the jack of all trades and master of none. I am content with the integration into the BlackBerry Hub.

Facebook and Snapchat have strict rules on integrations, I do not believe BlackBerry could satisfy their terms and still produce an app that isn't a continuity nightmare.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 11:18 AM
    I dislike this, it would end up with BBM being a bloated pile of crap that would be the jack of all trades and master of none. I am content with the integration into the BlackBerry Hub.

Facebook and Snapchat have strict rules on integrations, I do not believe BlackBerry could satisfy their terms and still produce an app that isn't a continuity nightmare.

Posted via CB10
    I was thinking the same thing.

05-12-15 11:46 AM
    Yeah sure, if you say so.
    Its not like this is that difficult a concept to buy in to. Here are some examples for you.

http://marketingland.com/heres-brand...er-bowl-116933

http://mwpartners.com/snapchat

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jaysonde...for-marketing/

http://m.fastcompany.com/3033793/how...-used-snapchat

05-12-15 12:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    What saved BB back in the day when all the chat clients became necessary to stay in touch with the office was programs like BeeJive which did just that, combined all the clients into a single interface. This kept major corporations like the one I worked for using BB instead of moving us all to Android where this ability was native...

Instead you want to keep BBM as is, a client with 5 contacts in your list and where people start threads here just to find people to chat with. That sure sounds worth keeping...

Even if you forget about FB and Snapchat, they can still consider AOL IM, Google chat, MSN Messenger and tools companies use on their desktops...
    05-12-15 03:32 PM
    I think the UI would have been kept

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 05:39 PM
47 12