BBOS, definitely.
    BBOS is sleeker, has a better selection of apps, and provides a better app experience where apps can be integrated into the OS very smoothly. BBOS has many options that let you customize your phone and personalize it. BBOS just feels more right. The original VS the newborn. I really think BlackBerry made a mistake building BB10 from the ground up rather than just upgrading BBOS...

Posted via CB10 on Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2582
    acovey likes this.
    05-10-15 07:13 PM
    "I fell into a burning ring of fire,
    I fell down, down, down and the flames went higher..."

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 07:32 PM
    Hey I loved my big permed hairdo and parachute pants in the 80's but I'm not still dressing and wearing my hair that way for a reason....lol
    Jrox74 likes this.
    05-10-15 07:34 PM
    No... Just no... Let it die... Let it die and take the hour glass with it...

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 07:49 PM
    Hey I loved my big permed hairdo ...
    Just paint it bright blue or pink and it'd fit right in today... ROFL

I wonder if the Android environment was doable on BBOS?

I agree BBOS was more customizable but that came over time. I hope the same will happen with BB10. One thing I do miss is the voicemail indicator on the desktop. I've missed so many messages without that reminder that it's becoming a nuisance...
    05-10-15 07:53 PM
    Rebuilding the OS was the only sensible thing to do however having BBOS features missing over two years after launch is poor.

Posted via CB10
    acovey, nah.uhh, kirson and 2 others like this.
    05-10-15 08:24 PM
    Rebuilding the OS was the only sensible thing to do however having BBOS features missing over two years after launch is poor.

Posted via CB10
    Why do you think the OS needed rebuilding from scratch? Other than BB bought QNX?
    05-10-15 08:26 PM
    I think brick phones and bell bottoms should be brought back.
    05-10-15 09:07 PM
    When the last chapter is written on BlackBerry Mike L is going to regret having bought QNX.
    The decision to go QNX instead of a bbos rewrite or skinned android is the fatal BlackBerry decision.

Qnx was late from jump with the PlayBook and when it did come out it was at best beta software. The browser was terrible, no pim, and it couldn't run legacy apps. They made some strides with playbook os 2.0 and then were late with bb10 and decided to s can most of what they learned with the PlayBook. The PlayBook fiasco should have showed everyone they weren't ready for prime time instead BlackBerry doubled down on the QNX team.

By the time bb10 phones launched in the us 3 years had gone by since RIM purchased them. It took another two years for them to put out a actual os worth having. If BlackBerry had put 5 years of development into bbos or a skinned android the company would be a lot better off.

Posted via CB10
    Maxxxpower, kirson and Soapm like this.
    05-10-15 09:13 PM
    05-10-15 09:20 PM
    Ever wonder why the minimum ram requirement for bb10 is 2 gb? Windows phone regularly runs on 512 mb . BBOS ran on half that. The iPhone and some androids run on 1 gb . Hard to compete on the low end when you require twice as much ram as your competitors.

Posted via CB10
    Maxxxpower, kirson and Soapm like this.
    05-10-15 09:26 PM
    I think the problem lies in the fact that many forum users agreeing with OP do not understand coding
    You have to understand that BBOS was java based, which is very self-limiting. To continue down that path was suicidal
    However, this isn't an excuse for BB not bringing basic BBOS functions over to BB10, including themes, etc
    Dave Bourque and kirson like this.
    05-10-15 10:20 PM
    I guess nobody misses the hourglass and the need to reboot after each update, the lag of BBOS, the lack of apps, and so on. But then again, maybe some do...
    Jrox74 likes this.
    05-10-15 10:44 PM
    I guess nobody misses the hourglass and the need to reboot after each update, the lag of BBOS, the lack of apps, and so on. But then again, maybe some do...
    What hourglass?
    My Classic with BB10 reboots after each update.
    I have way more lag on my Classic than I did on my 9900. Especially launching an Android app.
    BBOS had more apps than BB10.
    And so on???
    acovey and kirson like this.
    05-10-15 11:24 PM
    You have to understand that BBOS was java based, which is very self-limiting. To continue down that path was suicidal
    However, this isn't an excuse for BB not bringing basic BBOS functions over to BB10, including themes, etc
    This is what I didn't know, is why a new OS was needed. And I keep saying this which doesn't make some happy but if they can make Android run on BB10, why not old Java based apps for BBOS???
    05-10-15 11:27 PM
    This is what I didn't know, is why a new OS was needed. And I keep saying this which doesn't make some happy but if they can make Android run on BB10, why not old Java based apps for BBOS???
    BBOS couldn't support dual cores... java based apps for BBOS in a runtime would probably run worse than the android runtime. There's so many reasons that have already been discussed before on the reasons to drop the Java based BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 11:47 PM
    BBOS couldn't support dual cores... java based apps for BBOS in a runtime would probably run worse than the android runtime. There's so many reasons that have already been discussed before on the reasons to drop the Java based BBOS.
    I'm no programmer, but what's the difference between a java based app like for BBOS and java in the browser?
    05-11-15 01:31 AM
    I have 9700 mostly for calls and messages for work and Passport for personal use.

While Passport has good app selection against Bold, in terms of convenience, features and usability, 9700 beats Passport to the bushes.
    kirson likes this.
    05-11-15 02:34 AM
    I'm no programmer, but what's the difference between a java based app like for BBOS and java in the browser?
    Java isn't the same as javascript. Despite having java in the name they aren't even remotely related.

Also to everyone saying bbos was a dead end street. What do you it would look like after 5 years of development? It was built with data sipping, battery life, and security in mind. It's not a stretch to believe it could have been rewritten with multi core, media, and security in mind. There is no functional reason why a java based os isn't as fast in most aspects as one written in a c based language , while also having many built in security advantages. Android is mostly written in java and lollipop is as fast as anything out there. BlackBerry could have switched from the c kernel of bbos to the same Linux kernel as android and ran android apps NATIVELY.

Posted via CB10
    kirson likes this.
    05-11-15 06:01 AM
    Ever wonder why the minimum ram requirement for bb10 is 2 gb? Hard to compete on the low end when you require twice as much ram as your competitors.

Posted via CB10
    Yet how many people on the forum complain about BlackBerry using poor specs.

Also, BlackBerry 10 devices are essentially running two operating systems thanks to the Android runtime. You also have the factors of Windows Phone and many Android devices being solely focused on low end devices. The performance of those 512 MB handsets is generally terrible.

BBOS was done: the platform reached a point where there was nothing more that could be done with it. You may as well ask Microsoft to go back to DOS, or Apple to go back to OS 9. Every tech platform eventually reaches a point where you're just bandaging the platform to add features rather than working with a newer platform that allows you to implement new code and actually build new features instead of kludging them into a codebase that can't manage it.

BBOS had memory allocation and resource limitations that BlackBerry could not fix. The only way would be for them to go back to Oracle and ask for a re-write of Java, or build their own code for an operating system they own. The latter was their best option.

Also: what are these mythical apps on BBOS that are more plentiful than BlackBerry 10? Oddly enough, I don't see any of the apps people seem to be clamouring for on the old OS anymore than I do on BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 06:34 AM
    My Classic is currently in for repair and so I'm having to use my Bold 9700 as my daily driver, which is a pain as I don't have BIS. Battery life is much better, but I'm struggling to think of much else that is better apart from minor issues. Now that BB10 is maturing a lot of the things that were in the original BBOS do appear to be making their way across. It's been a nice nostalgia trip but I can't wait for to get the Classic back.
    05-11-15 08:12 AM
    Agree that we are getting there but it has been a five year slog through beta software and half-baked ideas. We still don't have themes. Themes are blowing up on android and were a BlackBerry staple. We should be leading the way on this trend.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 08:18 AM
    Give me a break. Bbos was good 5 years ago and is now why BlackBerry is the laughing stock of the mobile world. It is antiquated and awful. BlackBerry 10 is sleek, new and a step ahead of the competition when it comes to innovation. Because it is different then bbos does not mean it is bad.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 08:25 AM
    Yet how many people on the forum complain about BlackBerry using poor specs.

Also, BlackBerry 10 devices are essentially running two operating systems thanks to the Android runtime. You also have the factors of Windows Phone and many Android devices being solely focused on low end devices. The performance of those 512 MB handsets is generally terrible.

BBOS was done: the platform reached a point where there was nothing more that could be done with it. You may as well ask Microsoft to go back to DOS, or Apple to go back to OS 9. Every tech platform eventually reaches a point where you're just bandaging the platform to add features rather than working with a newer platform that allows you to implement new code and actually build new features instead of kludging them into a codebase that can't manage it.

BBOS had memory allocation and resource limitations that BlackBerry could not fix. The only way would be for them to go back to Oracle and ask for a re-write of Java, or build their own code for an operating system they own. The latter was their best option.

Also: what are these mythical apps on BBOS that are more plentiful than BlackBerry 10? Oddly enough, I don't see any of the apps people seem to be clamouring for on the old OS anymore than I do on BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    The memory allocation issue was caused by the architects of bbos it was designed to run on the hardware of the late 90's oracle wouldn't have to rewrite java the same is true for bbos inability to run on multi core processors. These issues have nothing to do with Java. Android has no issues running on multi core processor and new androids are shipping with 4 gigs of ram.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 08:39 AM
    The memory allocation issue was caused by the architects of bbos it was designed to run on the hardware of the late 90's oracle wouldn't have to rewrite java the same is true for bbos inability to run on multi core processors. These issues have nothing to do with Java. Android has no issues running on multi core processor and new androids are shipping with 4 gigs of ram.

Posted via CB10
    Android is not Java. Android is based on the Linux kernel. The BlackBerry OS was based on JavaOS. It may have been a RIM proprietary OS, but it was based on Oracle's OS and what it could do. Android apps could be written in Java just as BlackBerry apps could be.

Still - totally different OS.
    05-11-15 10:08 AM
47 12