You're right. It's closer to $2 billion for the first year.

But even if it was zero, they still wouldn't be interested - nor would anyone else.
    I think you're and order of magnitude high.

What do you think will happen to Android now that Oracle won its Java claims against Google? Alphabet will attempt a merger with Oracle?
    06-18-18 12:24 PM
    Best part is, the more revealing your armor is, the better it protects you!

Starter rags: +15 AR
    Full body plate mail: +100 AR
    Platinum tinsel bikini: +250 AR
    It must get a bonus for distracting potential attackers
    06-18-18 12:25 PM
    It could cost $5 and the argument would be the same. No one is interested.
    06-18-18 12:28 PM

What do you think will happen to Android now that Oracle won its Java claims against Google? Alphabet will attempt a merger with Oracle?
    Google will eventually pay Oracle to make it go away, after every possible appeal has been filed.

Oracle is a dying empire. I can't imagine they have much outside of Java that Google wants or that they can't build a better version from scratch. Well except maybe patents
    06-18-18 12:34 PM

Nothing. It will still go to the Supreme Court - after which they may get a small slap on the wrist and a fine.

Google already switched to a fully open source version of Java starting with the Nougat release of Android in 2016.
    06-18-18 12:41 PM
    Prototype without access to source? More inane question than possibility of continuation (not rebirth) of BB10.
    Nobody that has the VC that you need will go any further until you get to said point. It sounds like you’re truly wasting everybody’s time including your own.

We could discuss the various strategies for leprechaun colonies successfully raising unicorns for that matter.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    06-18-18 02:48 PM
    Nobody that has the VC that you need will go any further until you get to said point. It sounds like you’re truly wasting everybody’s time including your own.

We could discuss the various strategies for leprechaun colonies successfully raising unicorns for that matter.
    Oooh... I want in on that....
    06-18-18 03:09 PM
    You bright up the question of VCS. I'm thinking of reuse of existing software assets and BlackBerry trying to get Neutrino licensees in the IoT space. How much does not having a mobile (battery operated non-car) platform with similar architecture makes this difficult?

Maybe, if BlackBerry would freely support the Raspberry Pi and the FIN Project, interest in the QNX/Neutrino platform would expand beyond primarily cars because developers could more easily experiment with the platform.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-18-18 03:25 PM
    Uh oh this discussion reminded of that other guy who's been porting android on BB10 devices or something like this! Going to bump that thread to have fun there since I see this party is over and I arrived late!

Posted via CB10
    06-18-18 03:35 PM
    Uh oh this discussion reminded of that other guy who's been porting android on BB10 devices or something like this! Going to bump that thread to have fun there since I see this party is over and I arrived late!

Posted via CB10
    Over? I'm not sure it will ever be over for DonHB
    06-18-18 09:21 PM
    You bright up the question of VCS. I'm thinking of reuse of existing software assets and BlackBerry trying to get Neutrino licensees in the IoT space. How much does not having a mobile (battery operated non-car) platform with similar architecture makes this difficult?

Maybe, if BlackBerry would freely support the Raspberry Pi and the FIN Project, interest in the QNX/Neutrino platform would expand beyond primarily cars because developers could more easily experiment with the platform.
    Why?

BlackBerry can already licence BlackBerry Secure for things like custom smartphones, TVs, routers, etc. It's a living, real, immediately available software product.

For the 200th time - NO ONE is interested in developing BB10.
    bergmannap likes this.
    06-18-18 09:57 PM
    BB10 hasn't been actively developed since 2014 - that's FOUR YEARS ago, which is kind of like 40 years in car years. Mobile tech has come a long way in that time, and selling a new phone would mean bringing tons of things up-to-date.
    Just as a side note: I'd be really eager to buy a (certain) car from 40+ years ago, exactly as it was then if I had the chance.
    06-19-18 09:08 AM
    Just as a side note: I'd be really eager to buy a (certain) car from 40+ years ago, exactly as it was then if I had the chance.
    There's a marketing angle! Make another run of Z10s and sell them as "vintage" phones!
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-19-18 09:13 AM
    There's a marketing angle! Make another run of Z10s and sell them as "vintage" phones!
    Not quite the same situation, and I'm guessing there are probably Z10's sitting around somewhere.

I LOVED my Z10--my second favorite phone of all time, but it is significantly slower than my Passport SE.

Additionally--I think that Nokia did put out a "vintage" phone of theirs--I saw some video about it a few weeks back. So, don't think that this isn't a possibility.

Look at the Classic--that was essentially Blackberry's Vintage phone (with a then current(ish) OS BB10). People do have an attraction for that sort of thing (tool belt had no attraction for me).

But of course this market is small--a niche of a niche perhaps. That said--I'd buy a Bold 9900 (or even a classic) that functioned without issues (including the browser).
    06-19-18 09:19 AM
    You know that some folks here think that is an iron clad business plan.

hmmm...

BBOS 11-lsetc8s.jpg
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 06-19-18 at 11:24 AM.
    06-19-18 10:58 AM
    I'm writing from a z30 and today it's more than better than IOS and Android. So why someone want kill the best SO. On the market? We have security,speed., and more over... I hope someone understands it and change the way to run. Long life to bb10-11!

Posted via CB10
    06-21-18 05:48 AM
    I'm writing from a z30 and today it's more than better than IOS and Android. So why someone want kill the best SO. On the market? We have security,speed., and more over... I hope someone understands it and change the way to run. Long life to bb10-11!

Posted via CB10
    All 8 of you understand it.
    Attached Thumbnails BBOS 11-33290.jpg  
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-21-18 06:50 AM
    Google will eventually pay Oracle to make it go away, after every possible appeal has been filed.

Oracle is a dying empire. I can't imagine they have much outside of Java that Google wants or that they can't build a better version from scratch. Well except maybe patents
    It's hard for others to see the point that you're making, without proper information and without getting emotional, and without wanting to be "right". Doesn't negate the fact that you've made a lot of valid points. BlackBerry could, from the angle that you're presenting, resurrect a version of BB10/11, because they are in fact still developing a platform that runs on QNX, like BB10 did, is how I'm understanding the points you made. I agree, they can. Will they? No one knows. We can all only speculate, and react when BlackBerry does or does not. But yes, in an argument based on speculation and observation, and the fact that there is another platform on QNX... it wouldn't be impossible for them to extend the current platform towards a phone.

On the Java front, Google has been working on two alternatives, when it comes to android and android development. Kotlin is replacing Java. They've added an online and an inline converter for those who develop in only java. Works damn good. And they're developing Fuchsia, an alternative OS to android.

My two cents.
    06-21-18 08:09 AM

Much, much cheaper to sign a patent sharing agreement. Google has plenty of patents to barter.

The only reason Google would attempt to buy Oracle would be if they wanted to enter the ERP market, where Oracle is a top three platform.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-21-18 08:25 AM
    Honestly, that would be fine with me. If only the parts were available.

The only possible case for BB10 would be to relaunch it as "Feature Phone 2020" and for that no upgrade from 2013 is required.

Still a huge risk, if it's even possible to obtain parts in sufficient quantities, and not something BlackBerry would have any interest in doing themselves.

06-21-18 08:33 AM

The only possible case for BB10 would be to relaunch it as "Feature Phone 2020" and for that no upgrade from 2013 is required.

Still a huge risk, if it's even possible to obtain parts in sufficient quantities, and not something BlackBerry would have any interest in doing themselves.

The main missing part is the SOC itself. Qualcomm ended production of the S4 Plus long ago, and stock ran out while they were used in making the Classic.
    06-21-18 08:48 AM
    The main missing part is the SOC itself. Qualcomm ended production of the S4 Plus long ago, and stock ran out while they were used in making the Classic.
    Yes, and I'm certain the wonderful Wolfson DACs are long gone too, plus the camera, and almost every other part. Writing new drivers for new hardware would be the biggest obstacle to even delivering a stock BB10 device with no ART or apps.

06-21-18 10:00 AM
    I had recently read the thread you had from April. You asked more relevant questions than most software developers I know. Your suspicion that BB10 development was very inefficient is appropriate.

The costs compared to Apple is misleading because Apple supports five generations of hardware with different SoCs and the company tries to maintain some level of compatibility between platforms (desktop, watch, etc.). Google also supports more generations of hardware than BlackBerry, but less than Apple. Many complained that BlackBerry reused old hardware in devices; essentially Passport and previous hardware -- not quite two generations.

Furthermore, hardware support in Neutrino should be easier because drivers are written as regular programs and Qualcomm provides driver source code for open source platforms supported by the company. And the installation of autoloaders are post purchase (Motion 2, maybe) so no investment in inventory is required for BB10.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-21-18 12:54 PM

If you can sell a used BB SE on eBay for $300, who knows if it could be profitable? If the parts existed.

Don't flame me because I know Chen won't ever do this.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-18 12:55 PM
    I had recently read the thread you had from April. You asked more relevant questions than most software developers I know. Your suspicion that BB10 development was very inefficient is appropriate.

The costs compared to Apple is misleading because Apple supports five generations of hardware with different SoCs and the company tries to maintain some level of compatibility between platforms (desktop, watch, etc.). Google also supports more generations of hardware than BlackBerry, but less than Apple. Many complained that BlackBerry reused old hardware in devices; essentially Passport and previous hardware -- not quite two generations.

Furthermore, hardware support in Neutrino should be easier because drivers are written as regular programs and Qualcomm provides driver source code for open source platforms supported by the company. And the installation of autoloaders are post purchase (Motion 2, maybe) so no investment in inventory is required for BB10.
    Well, that's nice of you to say--but ask around. I'm very "obtuse" for asking questions.
    I've fully admitted that I'm looking for accurate answers, BECAUSE I don't know about software development (not my field).

I wouldn't find it surprising at all, however, that Blackberry was inefficient in lots of areas, because that's sort of the track record they portray.
    06-21-18 01:07 PM
560 ... 23456 ...