So many are fearing that the development of BBOS 10 will come to an end in 2016 - why not go open source with it?
    I have read about the other rumours that the Priv would get an update option in Q1/16 to go from Android to BB 10.3.3
    But anyhow - open sourcing the OS could initiate dev interest and help revitalise those assets that BB has created (instead of putting it into the basement).

What do you think on going open source with BB10
    10-15-15 10:27 AM
    That would defeat the security purposes wouldn't it?

Z10
    10-15-15 10:32 AM
    Or it may reveal how unsecured it actually is.... no chance of them ever doing it imo...
    10-15-15 11:47 AM
    QNX is not dead, though...

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe likes this.
    10-15-15 11:56 AM
    well if they chose not to use it anymore they do not "destroy" value by opening it up. Additionally it should rather pay into their security argument as open source is regarded as the true requisite for really strong security. I think it would help even more to help keep BB10 alive as the go-to-option for those top security customers
    10-15-15 02:50 PM
    But, as Thursk is alluding to, the QNX kernel is in many more things than just BB10.

If you want to open-source the OS, that means you have to open-source the kernel - the way Linux is. That won't happen with QNX. It's in too many other things beyond our phones.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 03:28 PM
    Or it may reveal how unsecured it actually is.... no chance of them ever doing it imo...
    The internet is a strange and wonderful place where everybody with an opinion can say absolutely anything irrespective of them having any facts or substance to support what they say. Why on earth do you say this? Can you link us the proof please?

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.3.2.xxxx
    miker476 likes this.
    10-15-15 03:38 PM
    That would defeat the security purposes wouldn't it?

Z10
    How? Yes, security by obscurity is possible but the worst way how to do it. Actually open source may be more secure by being opened. In the end it depends on how much you care about security, not the development model...

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-15-15 04:11 PM
    well if they chose not to use it anymore they do not "destroy" value by opening it up. Additionally it should rather pay into their security argument as open source is regarded as the true requisite for really strong security. I think it would help even more to help keep BB10 alive as the go-to-option for those top security customers
    The idea that open source is a prerequisite for security is a myth. Proper code review is. While it is true that making a body of source code open makes it easier for that code review to happen, it does not in any way ensure that it will happen. StageFright vulnerabilities were in open source code for years before anyone actually looked and found them. Just because anyone can look at the code, doesn't mean anyone has, or more to the point, it doesn't mean anyone with your interest at heart has.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2639
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    10-15-15 04:36 PM
    How? Yes, security by obscurity is possible but the worst way how to do it. Actually open source may be more secure by being opened. In the end it depends on how much you care about security, not the development model...

Posted via CB10
    If is only the worst way if it is all that one does. As an extra layer it serves a useful purpose. BlackBerry when they started development of BB10 made an effort to ensure that their own tools would not be used against them. One of the many things they did that other mobile device manufacturers didn't, or couldn't because of other choices they made.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2639
    10-15-15 04:46 PM
    Yes, open source is not an answer for everything but I think even open sourcing QNX would help BlackBerry a lot. Of course it leads to different business model etc. But the most important part is freedom for users, so more free software than open source. And yes, I'm not a good guy for this, as I do free/open software for my living ;-))).

At least open sourcing Cascades and portions of UI would help, of course, we would need keys to sign system packages.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 05:03 PM
    Yes, open source is not an answer for everything but I think even open sourcing QNX would help BlackBerry a lot. Of course it leads to different business model etc. But the most important part is freedom for users, so more free software than open source. And yes, I'm not a good guy for this, as I do free/open software for my living ;-))).

At least open sourcing Cascades and portions of UI would help, of course, we would need keys to sign system packages.

Posted via CB10
    There are free non-commercial licences for QNX available today. The source for Qt is available, but I don't believe Cascades is.

I use work with a combination of commercial licenced and FOSS products. When ever one is careful to compute the total cost of ownership open source does not come out a clear winner from a cost/benefit point of view. There are good and bad FOSS products just as there are close commercial source.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2639
    10-15-15 06:27 PM
    My thought on going open source with BB10 was not so much on the quality side of the argument (open source -> "better"=more secure) but it is more about the developer side. The big problem for all platforms that are not iOS or Android is to bring developer attention to the table. Even Microsoft with deep pockets could not bring enough interest and now they flipped the issue really clever by bringing all the x86 pool to mobile. BUT back to BB10: I thought an open sourced system could spark the dev interest and therefore help to keep it alive
    11-14-15 08:11 AM