Hi,

I'm using a BlackBerry Passport for about 7 months,
    currently with 10.3.2.440.

My internet connection & apps are working fine.
    The thing is, the only app that's not working is BBM.
    It only works when I'm connected to WiFi.

I just switched carriers and thought this is going to work with my new carrier and yet it still doesn't work.
    It says my contacts are available, I can make video or voice calls through the BBM, but I can't send or receive any text messages.
    There's a small grey clock under the message.

I'm guessing this has something to do with my carrier's settings (maybe an old BIS server or something), while I think messages are trying to get through the BIS and it is not properly configured. The carrier won't help (they don't support BlackBerry).

When I enter the about > sim card screen I get:

SIM License: "Silver"
    Service: "SRV-00002-491"
    Service Alias: "BlackBerry 10 WiFi Only"

So it seems my carrier does have a BIS server (correct me if I'm wrong) and so my BBM tries to send messages through it but it isn't configured properly so my messages won't go through.

I tried to register my BlackBerry again and resync configuration, still nothing.

The question is, can I force my BlackBerry to not register with this BIS server so the BBM would try to send the messages only through 4G/3G? It really sucks that I can't use my BBM in my BlackBerry while I have friends using it on their Android phones.

Any other suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
    06-24-15 06:22 AM
    What's your APN setting say?

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 06:35 AM
    My understanding is BlackBerry 10 does not use BIS. In the days of BBOS7 and earlier you needed a special "BlackBerry Plan" from your carrier. Nowadays you just use a regular plan like all the other smartphones. If you your carrier has you on a "BlackBerry Plan" you will find things don't work properly. I had this experience myself when I moved from BBOS7 device to BB10.
    06-24-15 06:42 AM
    My understanding is BlackBerry 10 does not use BIS. In the days of BBOS7 and earlier you needed a special "BlackBerry Plan" from your carrier. Nowadays you just use a regular plan like all the other smartphones. If your carrier has you on a "BlackBerry Plan" you will find things don't work properly. I had this experience myself when I moved from BBOS7 device to BB10.
    06-24-15 06:43 AM
    Does your carrier have a standard data plan?

I would think that this would give it away as to why BBM only works on WiFI. I don't know who your carrier is, and I actually don't care, but get them to change your plan to a standard data plan.

Tell them to provision the same plan they would for any Android phone.
    06-24-15 07:44 AM
    Does your carrier have a standard data plan?

I would think that this would give it away as to why BBM only works on WiFI. I don't know who your carrier is, and I actually don't care, but get them to change your plan to a standard data plan.

Tell them to provision the same plan they would for any Android phone.
    Yeah pretend it's an Android phone and then make sure the APN settings are what they are used on an Android phone and it will work

Some carrier still uses BIS plans with BlackBerry 10 (as in my case in Bell Canada). But a normal plan will work too.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 09:23 AM
    See my thread here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-users-917153/

I'm going through the same issue with Telekom, and there are others on the forums with different carriers with the same. Carriers are forcing you to buy the BIS plan to get BB services which is basically only for BBM when on BB10. Telling them to set your sim card with an Android setup won't make a difference because as you said, your internet is working fine and if you have the correct APN settings then you should be good to go.

Back on that Z30
    06-28-15 10:18 AM
    Well, I'm not required to pay for an extra BIS service, they don't even know what it is (the reps). I asked to cancel it but I think it's automatically configured, if you got a Blackberry IMEI they will route you through their old, misconfigured BIS server.

The real problem is Blackberry, why wouldn't they release a simple "use BIS" option so we could disable it in the menu? I really don't get it, it's a 5 minute work that will solve a lot of problems...
    06-29-15 04:54 AM
    Bump! Having this issue for months, anybody have a fix? See attachment
    BBM works only over WiFi-img_20150729_053405.png

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 09:34 PM
    Bump! Having this issue for months, anybody have a fix? See attachment

Posted via CB10
    Since your carrier is HOT Mobile based on your screenshot. Set your API to net.hotm
    No user/pass
    Settings- network connections- mobile- apn(bottom)
    When in the apn screen it's read only. Two finger swipe up for keyboard. Type "apn" without quotes and you can now edit.

Replace my Telus info with info mentioned above.
    BBM works only over WiFi-img_20150729_083442.png

 Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339 
    07-29-15 07:37 AM
    Since your carrier is HOT Mobile based on your screenshot. Set your API to net.hotm
    No user/pass
    Settings- network connections- mobile- apn(bottom)
    When in the apn screen it's read only. Two finger swipe up for keyboard. Type "apn" without quotes and you can now edit.

Replace my Telus info with info mentioned above.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150729_083442.png 
Views:	293 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	364603

 Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339 
    Thanks for your input however unfortunately after asking around it has become clear to me that my current carrier does not support Blackberry services and that is the reason BBM works on WiFi only. Not related to APN. The only way for me to access BBM over a cellular network is to switch carriers. This is despite the fact that all other data (email whatsapp etc) work over the regular data plan.

Sadly, this means no BBM for me, as I cannot switch carriers at this time

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 03:09 AM
    I realize this is a fairly old thread , but I have been googling days now for the issue i'm facing . It is exactly the problem you are having .
    I recently switched carrier . Everything works on my Phone (blackberry passport) email , chat , programs , voice/video calls in BBM . BUT no BBM messages go out or in over my cellular network . Wifi I can send and receive messages .
    Carrier sais they do not support BlackBerry .

I thought there was nothing to support anymore with BB OS 10 , as it works like any other device with a normal 3G connection .
    Thought wrong .

I tried to register the device when on mobile network , then "battery pull" and restart but it doesn't help .

When i'm on wifi , the BlackBerry symbol is right next to it . But when i'm connected to cellular it doesn't display the BlackBerry logo next to it .

If someone knows a fix , please post it .

I will probably switch carrier in the end , as there's nothing else i can do (don't want to sell this phone or use another chat app) .
    07-28-16 07:09 AM

I thought there was nothing to support anymore with BB OS 10 , as it works like any other device with a normal 3G connection .
    Thought wrong .
    You thought wrong indeed. How a carrier runs their network is entirely up to them. Some, having become used to charging extra for BlackBerry services still want to do that. Some who didn't support BlackBerry services at all have never changed the network filters. You could try your carrier support, but it would probably take a lot of talking to get to the level that would even know what the problem is.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    07-28-16 07:45 AM
    Hello

I have just run into the same problem on my Passport here in the UK EE network.

This is really depressing.

Any remedies?

Posted via CB10
    12-21-16 01:29 PM
    My understanding is BlackBerry 10 does not use BIS. In the days of BBOS7 and earlier you needed a special "BlackBerry Plan" from your carrier. Nowadays you just use a regular plan like all the other smartphones. If you your carrier has you on a "BlackBerry Plan" you will find things don't work properly. I had this experience myself when I moved from BBOS7 device to BB10.
    Your understanding is incomplete. It is up to the carrier how to support BB10, which may be the same way they support iOS and Android or. Depending on the carrier you may or may not be able to get them to change the plan their network assigns.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2163
    12-21-16 04:01 PM
    Hello

I have just run into the same problem on my Passport here in the UK EE network.

This is really depressing.

Any remedies?

Posted via CB10
    The only possible remedy is to get your carrier to accept that BB10 devices should be serviced like all others. Failing this switch carriers.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2163
    12-21-16 04:06 PM