Can someone please explain BBM to me and when/why I would use it over plain SMS texting? I have read all about BBM and to me it seems the same as a regular text.

I am coming from Android, so maybe that is why I just don't get it? Thanks.
    04-27-15 02:11 PM
    It is free (using wifi) or costs just a fraction of data plan.
    Can send pics, files, etc
    Allows you to call via wifi or regular data for free. And to make video calls. For free.

World wide. International.

And you do not need a cellular coverage to use bbm as long as you have wifi

Actually, I do not know why would anyone use sms when there is BBM or any alternatives, like whatsapp, viber, iMessage etc.

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    04-27-15 02:16 PM
    Interesting. I'm a BB fanatic in an Apple family. Our phone plans all include unlimited text and so I've never had to go to BBM - I'm still on OS7, so I don't think my BBM has the video - we use a tablet with Skype for the larger screen to video with the grand-children.

So, ironically, BBM doesn't really bring me anything extra - and I do text quite a bit.
    04-27-15 02:19 PM
    Interesting. I'm a BB fanatic in an Apple family. Our phone plans all include unlimited text and so I've never had to go to BBM - I'm still on OS7, so I don't think my BBM has the video - we use a tablet with Skype for the larger screen to video with the grand-children.

So, ironically, BBM doesn't really bring me anything extra - and I do text quite a bit.
    Actually, bbm via wifi does audioo calls only in BlackBerry os7
    Moreover, if you are on apple, you use imessage, which, as well, is not sms, but it's another instant messenger LIKE BBM.
    And skype - the same

However, skype is not integrated in any os and is rather slow, buggy and laggy, and imessage is integrated and available for Apple iOs only.

BBM is cross platform and provides superior functionality and integration into OS (a.k.a. Headless). There are few more, providing similar experience, like viber (worse integration, laggy), whatsapp (quite good actually, but I like bbm more) and few more at best.

And sms - it's like.. I don't know - a horse carriage in the age of modern cars

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    blusls and Gajja like this.
    04-27-15 02:31 PM
    SMS texting is antiquated and lame. There is a 160 character limit, and even though sms users like to point out that modern smartphones will lump texts together, the way that happens is unreliable. For example, I got an over-the-limit sms today. Showed up as:

et you know as soon as I find out.
    I'll see you Saturday ... but if I'm freed up sooner I'll l
    BBM lets the sender know if a recipient has received and read the message; whenever I send an sms I have to wonder if the recipient received and read it. Also, sms does not support special characters like many who speak other languages use. If a sentence is filled with words that are supposed to look like this --

"t�na"

-- it looks ridiculous and annoyng when those words render like this: "tana."

Also, many BBM users have worldwide contacts. SMS may be "included" or "free" locally, but most of the time it's not free, unlimited, or included internationally.

Furthermore, BBM includes free voice calling over wifi and/or the mobile network across platform and free video calling for BlackBerry 10 users.

In a nutshell, BBM blows sms texting away. Other IM services (Google Talk and YIM) are better than sms too.
    04-27-15 02:34 PM
    I agree and disagree with the other posts. BBM is the 'better' technology (on paper). But at the end of the day, for me what it comes down to is everyone has SMS and very few people have BBM in comparison. BBM was great in the days before unlimited SMS was the norm. These days, I have unlimited international SMS included in my standard plan. If I want to call someone, I use the phone app not BBM (BUT if I called people internationally on a regular basis I could see why BBM would be useful for this particular use case). BBM is also more secure (but let's be honest, at this point the NSA knows more about me than I do). So basically, I use SMS because everyone I know uses SMS and only a handful of people use BBM but if everyone used BBM, my quality of life might improve (slightly).
    04-27-15 03:54 PM
    Also note that personally, I rarely have internet connection without SMS reception and vice versa. If you often have internet connection without SMS reception this would also be a reason to use BBM (or another IM service like Whatsapp).
    04-27-15 03:59 PM
    SMS does have the advantage of being available nearly everywhere in the world that there is at least gsm coverage - northern Iraq in 2008 was like this. No data at all, but could text.

SMS is probably the least secure of all possible text messengers though.
    04-27-15 04:10 PM
    The 'D', the 'R' and 'is writing a message'.

Q10 (SQN100-3 : 10.3.2.158), Passport (SQW-100 : 10.3.1.1779)
    04-27-15 04:13 PM
    Glympse

04-27-15 04:14 PM
    Not having to pass out your cell phone number in order to message someone.

04-27-15 04:15 PM
    Glimpse
    Better groups
    Channels
    Dropbox integration
    File sharing, bb10 and android only (no file manager on iPhone)
    Voice notes

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 04:21 PM
    I agree and disagree with the other posts. BBM is the 'better' technology (on paper). But at the end of the day, for me what it comes down to is everyone has SMS and very few people have BBM in comparison. BBM was great in the days before unlimited SMS was the norm. These days, I have unlimited international SMS included in my standard plan. If I want to call someone, I use the phone app not BBM (BUT if I called people internationally on a regular basis I could see why BBM would be useful for this particular use case). BBM is also more secure (but let's be honest, at this point the NSA knows more about me than I do). So basically, I use SMS because everyone I know uses SMS and only a handful of people use BBM but if everyone used BBM, my quality of life might improve (slightly).
    BBM Protect is secure, regular BBM is not
    04-27-15 04:25 PM
    BBM Protect is secure, regular BBM is not
    Regular BBM is still encrypted and decrypted through the NOC. It is still secure.
    SMS is easily hacked and tapped.
    SMS has character limits.
    BBM works on Mobile/Data and wifi
    SMS only works on Voice
    Glympse, sharing files, groups, channels, shop
    Video chat and audio chat are HD and better than normal phone calls.
    SMS is fragmented
    BBM is physically appealing to the eyes more than SMS
    Multi chats
    Retractable and timed messages(subscriptions)
    BBM has integration with many other apps
    Calendar integration
    Music and location integration
    PING!

 Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500 
    04-27-15 05:47 PM
    sure. until you have to text someone in another country. then we can talk about your unlimited SMS...

in example: BBM - 0 euros. BBM call - 0 euros.
    SMS - 1 text - 0.25 euros (in my network) within europe. Who knows how much to Murica. International call - FROM 0.25 EURO/minute.

i got like 5000 SMS a month. Use like - 1-2. at best.
    everything else - BBM and/or Whatsapp
    04-27-15 06:28 PM
    I have been a BBM addict for the past 7 years since my first BlackBerry, which was a Storm 9500. I want to say BBM is awesome and it gives you a total command on your message. I can't even imagine a life without BBM. First,it comes with the function of D and R. For you to better understand D stands for message delivered and R stands for message being read. Plus it operates with NOC, standing for Net Operation Center ;therefore it is fast and safe. I don't text a lot because I am not sure if the message has been delivered to the phone number specified as there is no sign for me to tell. Besides,it does cost me extra cents to send text messages. When I send BBM to my contact, I get a D or maybe not. If I do, I know the message has been delivered, if I don't, I will assume the contact is out of service or his or her phone isn't on. When I get R, I know the message has been read and that makes me feel comfortable. Second, BBM runs well even when you are in a situation where only 2G network works. That, I have to say, is way ahead of any other IM apps and you will find it useful when you are in a place with weak coverage. Third,it comes with BBM voice and video, the latter only for BlackBerry 10. The calling quality is incredible especially when you are on 3G/4G network. There is now the same feature from Whatsapp now,but that only makes it still the second best. I can go on with fourth, fifth and so on and on.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 07:07 PM
    These days, I have unlimited international SMS included in my standard plan.
    sure. until you have to text someone in another country. then we can talk about your unlimited SMS...

in example: BBM - 0 euros. BBM call - 0 euros.
    SMS - 1 text - 0.25 euros (in my network) within europe. Who knows how much to Murica. International call - FROM 0.25 EURO/minute.

i got like 5000 SMS a month. Use like - 1-2. at best.
    everything else - BBM and/or Whatsapp
    Unlimited. International. Which word did you miss?
    Not that I do it very often but I've never had any issue texting people in other countries (North America & Europe). Whether or not you get such services included is dependent on your carrier. If your carrier does not include such things, I understand the greater appeal of IM services.

Sidenote: Some carriers (including mine) also allow delivery receipts (but not read receipts AFAIK) for SMS messages.
    04-28-15 10:54 AM
    BBM - 0 euros*
    International SMS with my carrier - 0 euros*
    Validating your point to a stranger on the internet - priceless.

*conversion rates included for your convenience
    Soapm likes this.
    04-28-15 10:59 AM
    Can someone please explain BBM to me and when/why I would use it over plain SMS texting? I have read all about BBM and to me it seems the same as a regular text..
    For starters, I don't know anybody in another Country and my circle doesn't travel like that...

The last I knew BBM sends to BB PIN. Back in the day that made it a non-starter since I was the only one I knew with a BB until my job started issuing them. But now it seems they've integrated the service onto other platforms. But still it means knowing others who use BBM which again is a non-starter for me.

My personal thoughts is it depends on which world you live in, if you live in a virtual world and communicate constantly via faceless means like Facebook, chats, BBM etc... Then BBM might be good for you. If you live in a physical world where faceless communication is limited then I don't believe you need more seldom means of limited communication. I maybe total 400 text per month and find those distracting at times so I sure don't need more means of being distracted... YMMV...
    04-28-15 11:53 AM
    Sidenote: Some carriers (including mine) also allow delivery receipts (but not read receipts AFAIK) for SMS messages.
    I consider delivery receipts a violation of my privacy. You sent me a message, if it didn't bounce then I got it. When I read and respond is my business. The last thing I need is someone asking why it took me so long to respond too their message...
    04-28-15 12:10 PM
    I consider delivery receipts a violation of my privacy. You sent me a message, if it didn't bounce then I got it. When I read and respond is my business. The last thing I need is someone asking why it took me so long to respond too their message...
    I disagree. I like delivery receipts because they assure me that nothing went wrong on my end and my phone sent everything properly. I would agree with you for read receipts though.
    04-28-15 12:34 PM
    I like delivery and read receipts. Anyway I don't want people with whom I have "privacy" issues and have to be concerned about knowing whether I read their messages on my list of most important contacts, BBM contacts that is.
    04-28-15 01:29 PM
    I disagree. I like delivery receipts because they assure me that nothing went wrong on my end and my phone sent everything properly. I would agree with you for read receipts though.
    Delivery and receipt are the main differentiater for BBM. Without them, there isn't much difference between BBM and SMS from user standpoint. Because I am out of the country a lot and I don't want to incur long distance charges for SMS sent to me, I have my SMS blocked by the carrier. Because it doesn't have delivery and receipt, anyone sending me a SMS never knows that I don't get them.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 01:33 PM
    Delivery and receipt are the main differentiater for BBM. Without them, there isn't much difference between BBM and SMS from user standpoint. Because I am out of the country a lot and I don't want to incur long distance charges for SMS sent to me, I have my SMS blocked by the carrier. Because it doesn't have delivery and receipt, anyone sending me a SMS never knows that I don't get them.
    Some carriers (including mine) also allow delivery receipts (but not read receipts AFAIK) for SMS messages.
    Running 10.3.1, go to the overflow (3 dots) menu in the Hub > Settings > Text Messages. I have a setting where I can turn on "Confirm Delivery" under SMS. This setting is only available with some carriers, but if I were to text you and you had your SMS blocked I would know you're not receiving them
    04-28-15 02:09 PM
    Running 10.3.1, go to the overflow (3 dots) menu in the Hub > Settings > Text Messages. I have a setting where I can turn on "Confirm Delivery" under SMS. This setting is only available with some carriers, but if I were to text you and you had your SMS blocked I would know you're not receiving them
    That was one of the first things I turned off on my phone and after every new install. You sure???
    04-28-15 02:16 PM
67 123