That was one of the first things I turned off on my phone and after every new install. You sure???
    Sure about what?
    04-28-15 02:20 PM
    Sure about what?
    How do you know he's not receiving your messages when the feature is turned off (at least on my phone and he says his carrier doesn't support it)?
    04-28-15 02:38 PM
    How do you know he's not receiving your messages when the feature is turned off (at least on my phone and he says his carrier doesn't support it)?
    Confirm sms delivery is a nice feature if your carrier allows it. Definitely keep it on! It let's you know if your sms has successfully reached the contact.
    Unfortunately it's also unreliable. Which is why bbm or any other instant messaging platform is superior to SMS. You are sure that your message is sent and read and vice versa.

Also, calling over wi-fi or mobile data using bbm has phenomenal sound reproduction. It's almost like the person is standing next to you. And it's even better if the person is using a BlackBerry device that has natural sound, like the Z30 and newer.

Sms is obviously the way to message someone if they don't have bbm but it's available for all platforms if they want to take advantage of a better messaging experience.
    04-28-15 03:26 PM
    Sms is obviously the way to message someone if they don't have bbm but it's available for all platforms if they want to take advantage of a better messaging experience.
    I don't get it, what do you guys do? Suggest all your friends and corworkers with Android and iPhones get BBM to speak with you? I don't get how you know many folks on BBM, to my knowledge, I don't know anyone...
    04-28-15 03:47 PM
    I consider delivery receipts a violation of my privacy. You sent me a message, if it didn't bounce then I got it. When I read and respond is my business. The last thing I need is someone asking why it took me so long to respond too their message...
    It's a communication device. If I message someone regardless of the platform used I expect a fairly swift reply. I don't just text or message people for no reason, it's for a purpose either business or personal. If that person for whatever reason can't get back in a timely manner I move on with my day. I don't have enough time to go chasing after people (this includes family which sometimes has unfortunate repercussions). I normally give someone about 10-15 minutes to get back to me before I call them. (if it's important enough to follow up).

I have always been under the impression that a cell phone is a communications tool and not a device to waste time.

Posted via CB10
    drecar likes this.
    04-28-15 03:50 PM
    It's a communication device.
    Correction, it's MY communication device which gives you access into my privacy. Just as you wait until I answer my door, you wait until I respond to your communication.

If I message someone regardless of the platform used I expect a fairly swift reply.
    It's ok to expect, but that doesn't mean I have to meet your expectations. Sometimes, and I really don't need a reason, I may not feel like answering right now... You ever just feel "unfit for human consumption??? or not being bothered???"

I normally give someone about 10-15 minutes to get back to me before I call them. (if it's important enough to follow up).
    If it's that important and I don't respond then fine, give me a call. Doesn't mean I'll answer if I'm busy. A message read receipt with no immediate response will only further infuriate you into thinking I read your message and ignored you. I could be busy, meeting with someone, or just not in a position to respond. I would hate to have you begin the conversation with, "I know you read my message etc..." As that would be very unproductive from there...

I have always been under the impression that a cell phone is a communications tool and not a device to waste time.
    Instant access to people has to be mutual. You knock on my door doesn't mean I have to answer (think JW). You call my phone or leave me a message doesn't obligate me in any way (think telemarketers). It's friendship or mutual respect that makes me respond, that's why you have my number and your respect for me would understand if my response isn't as timely as you expect. I'll respond when I can and not when you beckon. You see, It has to be mutual, otherwise you're my boss...
    04-28-15 04:57 PM
    Correction, it's MY communication device which gives you access into my privacy. Just as you wait until I answer my door, you wait until I respond to your communication.

It's ok to expect, but that doesn't mean I have to meet your expectations. Sometimes, and I really don't need a reason, I may not feel like answering right now... You ever just feel "unfit for human consumption??? or not being bothered???"

If it's that important and I don't respond then fine, give me a call. Doesn't mean I'll answer if I'm busy. A message read receipt with no immediate response will only further infuriate you into thinking I read your message and ignored you. I could be busy, meeting with someone, or just not in a position to respond. I would hate to have you begin the conversation with, "I know you read my message etc..." As that would be very unproductive from there...

Instant access to people has to be mutual. You knock on my door doesn't mean I have to answer (think JW). You call my phone or leave me a message doesn't obligate me in any way (think telemarketers). It's friendship or mutual respect that makes me respond, that's why you have my number and your respect for me would understand if my response isn't as timely as you expect. I'll respond when I can and not when you beckon. You see, It has to be mutual, otherwise you're my boss...
    Couldn't agree more. Hit the nail on the head. That's exactly why I said I carry on with my day. Which sometimes leads to meetings, appointments, dinners etc. getting delayed or pushed another day.

For expamle one of employers has a BBM group chat and I talk directly to my manager via BBM. Whenever schedules get written or changed in some cases it's always my manager with BBM that gets the first choice of hours. BBM is just faster and no one has to wait and wonder if the other person has actually read or received the message. No one likes to wait in our society unfortunately they just move on to the next thing.

Not that it matters but my situation might be a little more hectic than many. 2 BlackBerrys and 3 jobs. My phones are never off and frequently work 2 to 3 weeks straight.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 05:23 PM
    How do we get others to see the benefits? imessage is ok, but I'm excluded from group messages when imessage is the main way to communicate on the iphone. In this case, BBM is a better alternative. All phones are able to use it.

Posted via CB10
    Gajja likes this.
    04-28-15 06:06 PM
    I don't get it, what do you guys do? Suggest all your friends and corworkers with Android and iPhones get BBM to speak with you? I don't get how you know many folks on BBM, to my knowledge, I don't know anyone...
    I don't have voice services which includes SMS so it's not an option. If you want to talk to me... bbm

 Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500 
    04-28-15 07:16 PM
    I don't have voice services which includes SMS so it's not an option. If you want to talk to me... bbm

so you give people a pin and tell them to BBM you??? How many even know what you're talking about?

Anyone know the statistics of how many Windows, Android or iPhone users use BBM?
    04-28-15 10:13 PM
    Unlimited. International. Which word did you miss?
    Not that I do it very often but I've never had any issue texting people in other countries (North America & Europe). Whether or not you get such services included is dependent on your carrier. If your carrier does not include such things, I understand the greater appeal of IM services.

Sidenote: Some carriers (including mine) also allow delivery receipts (but not read receipts AFAIK) for SMS messages.
    If you have unlimited sms internationally, does not mean that another party has the same!
    Majority of carriers in europe charge international texts.

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    04-29-15 02:27 AM
    Running 10.3.1, go to the overflow (3 dots) menu in the Hub > Settings > Text Messages. I have a setting where I can turn on "Confirm Delivery" under SMS. This setting is only available with some carriers, but if I were to text you and you had your SMS blocked I would know you're not receiving them
    Also, many carriers charge for the read receipt

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    04-29-15 02:29 AM
    so you give people a pin and tell them to BBM you??? How many even know what you're talking about?

Anyone know the statistics of how many Windows, Android or iPhone users use BBM?
    I got 20 people at the moment in my BBM contacts list.

When I talk with new - I always offer BBM. Always. And quite often they agree. After all - it's just another, lightweight app in their phone which doesn't cost anything. And they agree

04-29-15 02:43 AM
    So, ironically, BBM doesn't really bring me anything extra - and I do text quite a bit.
    There is no irony in what you said.

It would be ironic if you worked for BlackBerry but BBM didn't bring you anything extra over SMS.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2576 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5.6
    04-29-15 02:52 AM

My scan, pin, or bbid.... yes.
    I currently have 70 contacts on my BBM, 10 being BlackBerry employees and rest are personal. 30 out of the other 60 being non BlackBerry users.
    As of 6 months ago 100 million active monthly subscribers on BBM. http://expandedramblings.com/index.p...ocial-media/2/

Soapm likes this.
    04-29-15 05:34 AM
    I have the passport 6mo & don't see what BBM can do for me... I don't know any BBM users... can it be used as a simple sms client?

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 08:03 AM
    My scan, pin, or bbid.... yes.
    I currently have 70 contacts on my BBM, 10 being BlackBerry employees and rest are personal. 30 out of the other 60 being non BlackBerry users.
    As of 6 months ago 100 million active monthly subscribers on BBM. How Many People Use 800+ of the Top Social Networks, Apps and Digital Services (April 2015)

I am humbled not thinking the number would be that high... thanks...

But this was interesting, BBM was launched in 1998 and has just over 100 million users including Android and iOS.
    iMessage was launched in 2011 and has over 250 million users comprising only iOS and Mac.

My point being that iMessage has 2.5 times the users in 3.5 years and the stats are limited to iOS and Mac users. I have to also wonder if the BBM stats include folks like me who technically have a user name and PIN but haven't logged in for years? IOW, users who registered back in the day but have since moved on.

It also helped me understand the need for Blend. I don't know if BBM had a desktop version prior to Blend but the point is being able to chat with mobile users from a desktop, tablet etc.... I recall, while in Corporate America, we used an app on our Berry's called JiveTalk that combined AOL, Yahoo, and all the major chat clients into one user interface so we could be immediately available to our team, management and customers. The complaint then was BBM could not be rolled into the app. so none but the die hard Berry users used BBM since at that time SMS messages cost but PIN messages were free. The chat client saved the company tons of money since I rarely if ever received a PIN message...

How does BBM increase its user base? Glad you asked... Bake SMS and other protocols into BBM to increase its footprint then super impose the words "this message was sent free using BBM" or "this message was sent internationally for free using BBM" to start folks asking, "what is this BBM you're using".
    04-29-15 08:54 AM
    So, for general sms use, BBM is not involved... right?
    04-29-15 08:59 AM
    I am humbled not thinking the number would be that high... thanks...

. I have to also wonder if the BBM stats include folks like me who technically have a user name and PIN but haven't logged in for years? IOW, users who registered back in the day but have since moved on.
    The answer to that question was in the stat. Active Monthly subscribers.

How does BBM increase its user base? Glad you asked... Bake SMS and other protocols into BBM to increase its footprint then super impose the words "this message was sent free using BBM" or "this message was sent internationally for free using BBM" to start folks asking, "what is this BBM you're using".
    BBOS used to have something similar but it was just added your SMS contacts into BBM. But didn't have the tag line you stated (probably due to character limits in the archaic SMS platform).
    No need now as both BBM and SMS are baked into the hub. Although I do like the idea.

04-29-15 09:38 AM
    So, for general sms use, BBM is not involved... right?
    SMS is over voice network
    BBM is over data/wifi network
    So....no

04-29-15 09:39 AM
    Unlimited. International. Which word did you miss?
    Not that I do it very often but I've never had any issue texting people in other countries (North America & Europe). Whether or not you get such services included is dependent on your carrier. If your carrier does not include such things, I understand the greater appeal of IM services.

Sidenote: Some carriers (including mine) also allow delivery receipts (but not read receipts AFAIK) for SMS messages.
    With BBM the delivered/read "receipts" are displayed within the original message.
    04-29-15 10:07 AM
    I have the passport 6mo & don't see what BBM can do for me... I don't know any BBM users... can it be used as a simple sms client?

Posted via CB10
    Just like all those other IM programmes, it's available to all the mobile OSs, so you know everyone can use it if they want, and it's a free download. Yes you can use it just to send text, like you can use your laptop to bang in nails .. but that's not really taking advantage of what it has on offer.
    04-29-15 10:15 AM
    With BBM the delivered/read "receipts" are displayed within the original message.
    Yes... where else would they be displayed??
    04-29-15 10:20 AM
    Some territories / nations / work&social groups do not major in BBM. You may not know this but the US is not big on BBM and if you lived there (unless maybe you were a stockbroker, or government, or similar) you may not even have heard of it. Most people's work email signature includes a half dozen ways to send them a message, and BBM is as easy to add as anything else :-) Yes you can get the app for free on Android and Apple smartphones. But imessage, No, thats not possible is it?
    04-29-15 10:28 AM
    BBM Protect is secure, regular BBM is not
    That's pushing it. Have you heard lots of stories about BBM being hacked and conversations peered on?

And no, I'm not talking about auditing in a corporate setting; nor am I talking about lawful access situations where there's a court order; Nor am I talking about the debate of encryption technologies vs. scrambled.

I'm being blunt: Have you or anyone you know have your BBM messages read by a third party, pictures stolen by a third party, group conversations peered on by a third party?
    04-29-15 10:37 AM
67 123