I can't believe this new low in the BlackBerry experience:

If this had occurred with any other software, I'd uninstall it instantly. BB doesn't let us uninstall BBM. Smooth.

Anyone else have this happen?

Q10 SQN100-1- OS 10.2.1 ... on its 3rd keyboard.
    Attached Thumbnails BBM Spam pushed into Hub...-img_20150310_055139.png  
    03-10-15 07:59 AM
    I got a similar message but that was way back and never got anymore

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 08:00 AM
    It's pin message

A scam ignore it

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on 4G Altel network
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    03-10-15 08:07 AM
    I can't believe this new low in the BlackBerry experience:

If this had occurred with any other software, I'd uninstall it instantly. BB doesn't let us uninstall BBM. Smooth.

Anyone else have this happen?

That's not a BBM message.

BlackBerry Passport 10.3.1.2480
    03-10-15 08:10 AM
    As other said, this is NOT a BBM. It's a PIN message and I really wish we could block annoying SPAM accounts.
    03-10-15 08:19 AM
    As other said, this is NOT a BBM. It's a PIN message and I really wish we could block annoying SPAM accounts.
    Semantics. It's a PIN message, which applies to BBM (try to send a PIN message to a phone that does not have BBM installed, see how far you get) .

What DOES matter is that spam was pushed into my hub - and clearly anyone and everyone else with BBM installed (100% of BlackBerry owners to be sure) is vulnerable.

The whole reason many use - and trust - BBM in the first place is so we do not have to worry about such occurrences.

mzway likes this.
    03-10-15 08:38 AM
    True that, we need NOT worry about such on older BBM versions, now these ones have such a lot of loopholes. Even the whole....

via ZEDThree
    03-10-15 09:15 AM
    Semantics. It's a PIN message, which applies to BBM (try to send a PIN message to a phone that does not have BBM installed, see how far you get) .

What DOES matter is that spam was pushed into my hub - and clearly anyone and everyone else with BBM installed (100% of BlackBerry owners to be sure) is vulnerable.

The whole reason many use - and trust - BBM in the first place is so we do not have to worry about such occurrences.

A pin is 8 characters long, it's not hard to generate a list of all possible combos and send out spam messages, most of which won't reach anyone, but some might, and if a few of those bite, it might be worth it.

They still don't know who you are are atleast.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 09:23 AM

First of all, you should open your mind when someone tries to educate you on the topic. No, BBM and PIN are not the same and no, you cannot send a PIN message to any phone that has BBM. Go ahead and try sending a PIN message to someone who installed BBM on their Android phone.

BBM is a messaging app that can utilize a PIN or email address for adding contacts only. You cannot send someone a BBM even if you know their PIN unless they approve adding you as a friend. A PIN message is different and is like sending someone an SMS; if you know the number, you can send the message whether or not they approve it.

True that, we need NOT worry about such on older BBM versions, now these ones have such a lot of loopholes. Even the whole....

via ZEDThree
    Not true. This has nothing to do with BlackBerry 10 or BBM. BBOS has the same PIN SPAM.
    03-10-15 09:35 AM
    Oh my, the sky is falling. Someone got spam on BlackBerry lol. It happens and that's life. It's not BlackBerry fault. How are they supposed to know who sends spam, do you want them to read every email or pin that gets sent to you phone?

Posted via CB10
    Thalestr and sk8er_tor like this.
    03-10-15 09:41 AM
    Hey. Be happy! You won a car man!

Via CB Running  PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480
    03-10-15 09:49 AM
    Just add the contact to Blocked Contacts on 10.3.1 in the Hub... No big deal.
    03-10-15 10:01 AM
    If that's your first and only one.. be happy.. I've maybe gotten about 10 since 2007. It's not exactly a HUGE problem but it happens.
    der_mit likes this.
    03-10-15 10:22 AM
    I agree with you sgosh. In fact, I also remove email from my phone and disabled SMS messaging. I received spam on those which is unacceptable! It was stupid of BlackBerry to integrate email in to the hub knowing full well the amount of spam that gets sent via email making all of us vulnerable.
    03-10-15 10:53 AM

It's a PIN message, that actually predates BBM. If you're on some ancient BB phone with a PIN but not BBM, you can still send PIN messages.

Anyway, unlike BBIDs, PINs can be randomly generated and don't require the recipient to add someone to their BBM contact list. So if I were some unscrupulous subhuman spammer, I'd just randomly generate some 8 character hexadecimal string starting with 2, send them a PIN message and tell them that they won a car, and they can pick it up in this dark alley somewhere in Jakarta.

It's spam, delete it and move along.
    Pdinos3, habs_fan and Robbenezer like this.
    03-10-15 10:58 AM
    Weird, I got them very occasionally on my Z10, but now they show up with some regularity since my wife took over the phone.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    03-10-15 11:21 AM
    I agree with you sgosh. In fact, I also remove email from my phone and disabled SMS messaging. I received spam on those which is unacceptable! It was stupid of BlackBerry to integrate email in to the hub knowing full well the amount of spam that gets sent via email making all of us vulnerable.
    Lmfao why do you even have an email?
    I haven't gotten spam mail over 5 years... since Gmail really
    03-10-15 11:34 AM
    I've gotten one or two in the time I've had my BlackBerry10 phones (since launch).

It's not that big of a deal: Unless I know the person PIN'ing me, I just delete it. Simple.

Doesn't happen very often anyways! :P

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    03-10-15 11:44 AM
    Never received one. Indonesia seems to have a lot of those pin scams.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 11:46 AM
    Ok. The sarcasm detector power supply is low. A recharge is definitely needed. LoL

What ever happened to the days when someone would have started a thread like this...

Title:
    Is there a way to block spam PIN messages?

--That is if you have actually learned what your device has to offer. This includes knowing the difference between a BBM message and a PIN message.

Body:
    I received the message pictured below. I don't like them. Is there a way to stop this? Any assistance would be appreciated. TIA

--That is if you have any social skills enough to know that it may not be appreciated that threads should not sound as a rant against something loved by the same people you are asking assistance from.

Long gone I guess...

Posted via CB10
    der_mit, sk8er_tor, FCSC and 3 others like this.
    03-10-15 11:49 AM
    OP you are being over dramatic. People are always quick to blame BBM/BlackBerry for everything without doing proper research. I believe Apple or Samsung are perfect platforms where nothing ever goes wrong.
    03-10-15 12:42 PM
    It's a PIN message, that actually predates BBM. If you're on some ancient BB phone with a PIN but not BBM, you can still send PIN messages.

So if I were some unscrupulous subhuman spammer, I'd just randomly generate some 8 character hexadecimal string starting with 2, send them a PIN message and tell them that they won a car, and they can pick it up in this dark alley somewhere in Jakarta.

It's spam, delete it and move along.
    I'm surprised it's as simple as random PIN generator - and then anyone at all can push a message into someone's phone, with any content they please.

My reaction this morning (before coffee) was that of utter anger, and ... fresh on the heels of several failed 10.3.1 updates, and a few double-typing keyboards on the Q10, that put me over the edge.

I (obviously) hate spam, and spammers. I can't think of anyone who doesn't, come to think of it.

And my patience with BlackBerry is threadbare as it is.

There has to be a way for BB to plug this hole.
    03-10-15 01:00 PM
    OP you are being over dramatic. People are always quick to blame BBM/BlackBerry for everything without doing proper research. I believe Apple or Samsung are perfect platforms where nothing ever goes wrong.
    One of the reasons I have BlackBerry, and not an android (or Apple device for that matter) is that I believed BB was a bit more robust against this very thing. This deflated any illusions I had regarding that.
    03-10-15 01:04 PM
    I'm surprised it's as simple as random PIN generator - and then anyone at all can push a message into someone's phone, with any content they please.

There has to be a way for BB to plug this hole.
    Yes. It very simple and it's not a "hole" to plug. It's just as if someone goes to a random public pay phone, and starts to make random phone calls to phone numbers found listed within the phone book. You have the option to pick up (reply) or reject (delete). It's just like if someone mis-dials and you tell them they have the wrong number or vice-versa and end the call. Except with PIN messages, you don't have to interact with the other person at all for them to get the message that they obviously don't know you when there is no response.

Just delete the message if it's from someone you don't know. Just like any email or third party app spam.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 01:20 PM
    Nothing here to blame BBM for.. perhaps you should not have shared your PIN on the Internet

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 01:24 PM
29 12