Hey

Anyone noticed how everytime a contact entry links up with a BBM contact, the contact entry on PIM suddenly gets two first names or last names?

I'm considering unlinking BBM contacts to their respective PIM contact entries or something. I just think that's annoying

Any advice on how to not let this happen? It's annoying.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    svein99 likes this.
    09-13-14 12:12 AM
    I think the problem is that BBM does not let you separate the first name and last name.

09-13-14 12:16 AM
    Moved to BlackBerry 10 OS

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    09-13-14 12:23 AM
    I also noticed this and as a result, I deleted all of my BBM contacts from Contacts. The only drawback is not being able to BBM from the Contacts overflow menu. Another drawback may include the inability to perform a BBM contact search via Assistant uni search. Aside from those, I notice no additional impact. Am still able to send messages via BBM and Share files to BBM contacts.
    ThunderShock2005 likes this.
    09-13-14 02:42 AM
    Weird..that doubling doesn't happen on my Z10....I can start a BBM chat from my contacts list with no issues.

CrackBerry Genius on Verizon Z10 on 10.3.0.1154
    09-13-14 07:59 PM
    I also noticed this and as a result, I deleted all of my BBM contacts from Contacts. The only drawback is not being able to BBM from the Contacts overflow menu. Another drawback may include the inability to perform a BBM contact search via Assistant uni search. Aside from those, I notice no additional impact. Am still able to send messages via BBM and Share files to BBM contacts.
    I can perform a BBM contact search from the Assistant...just check all options, advanced ones also....to search all....

09-13-14 08:04 PM
    Weird..that doubling doesn't happen on my Z10....I can start a BBM chat from my contacts list with no issues.

I don't notice it on the contacts most of the time. It's when I log into outlook and suddenly, my contacts' names have doubled. Then I look at the "linked contacts" and that's what happens. Or perhaps when I'm on a regular cellular voice call and I see their name double there, yet the contact entry would appear fine. It's because BBM contacts don't have a last name field and when contacts are linked with their respective BBM contacts, the BlackBerry synchronises the name update through EAS.

An example is when this happens and you have a friend named, let's say, John Smith (i.e., Smith, John).That's also their BBM name. Or at least you changed it on BBM because their contact name probably had annoying characters. Wait a bit and suddenly, PIM services changes your John's name to "John Smith Smith" (i.e., Smith, John Smith) because now, it thinks John Smith is your entry's first name, and Smith is his last name. Yet you'll notice this only did it for your PIM EAS contacts, NOT BBM. You open Outlook or OWA on your desktop and suddenly, two last names.

It happened to me again today. Very annoying. This time, I found out through my Windows Phone. Yet on my Q10, I looked and I saw nothing had changed, aside from my favourites in the contact menu now showing last names instead of just first. Then I did a remote contact search on my Q10 and there it is... two last names on all of them. :-(

Do you store your contacts locally, over EAS or over BES? If it is the latter two, can you remote search on your contacts app and see if it did that to you? Thanks. If it hasn't, then I'll take it as perhaps they've fixed it on your build, as I'm still using 10.3.0.1052.

09-14-14 04:53 AM
    Not sure if this will help but try unblinking the bbm contact.

Then select the outlook contact and link the bbm contact to it. So the outlook contact is the master.

If bbm is the contact master and you link the outlook to it, that may be causing the double entry.

Posted from my awesome Q10
    09-15-14 08:28 PM
    Not sure if this will help but try unblinking the bbm contact.

Then select the outlook contact and link the bbm contact to it. So the outlook contact is the master.

If bbm is the contact master and you link the outlook to it, that may be causing the double entry.

Posted from my awesome Q10
    Oh okay I'll try it out and see

09-21-14 01:19 PM