12-03-14 01:45 AM
39 12
tools
    As soon as I remove any channels I have joined, it goes back to normal

Via my Zed30
    My wife's Z had this same problem a month ago. BBM was spiking to 425 mb of data and draining the battery. Have no idea why as she never uses it. I had subscribed her to a couple of wall paper channels in the beginning. Unsubscribed from them and she no longer has the problem. Which is weird because I am subscribed to 5-6 channels and have not had a problem.
    Both of us on 3175

STL-4. 10.2.1.3175 w/ 1259 clock
    06-27-14 10:00 PM
    My wife's Z had this same problem a month ago. BBM was spiking to 425 mb of data and draining the battery. Have no idea why as she never uses it. I had subscribed her to a couple of wall paper channels in the beginning. Unsubscribed from them and she no longer has the problem. Which is weird because I am subscribed to 5-6 channels and have not had a problem.
    Both of us on 3175

STL-4. 10.2.1.3175 w/ 1259 clock
    I too had a problem with BBM Channels, I subscribed to a fitness channel plus Bla1ze's channel and the battery was draining so fast, the phone was kinda "hot" and overheating, I tried reboots + battery pulls, nothing helped... until I un subscribed and did a full reboot then the phone went back to normal, I wonder if there was a way of totally removing the channels option!

Posted via a sexy QTEN
    Last edited by mzway; 07-01-14 at 01:32 PM.
    vserghi likes this.
    06-28-14 12:06 AM
    Bizarrely, the phone is now behaving itself. What I did do is do as mzway did and unsubscribe from all channels, restarted the phone, then resubscribed again. Battery performance is back to what I had before the troubles.

I'll keep an eye on this one.
    mzway, niss63 and gebco like this.
    06-30-14 06:27 PM
    One of my Z30 users had the same problem today, battery drained after a few hours, according to the resource monitor BBM was the problem. It drained 55% of the battery. Checked for updates and saw that 10.3.33.18 was not yet installed. Tried to update but stalled. Rebooted the phone, updated BBM and that solved the problem.
    Will update this post if the problem returns.
    07-01-14 07:50 AM
    Today I spent the last hours of the day in a metal box, selling fireworks. Almost no reception unless I stepped outside of the box.

This was from 4:30 PM on with almost no use of the phone, at all.

Up until 4:30 pm, I had used the phone frequently throughout the day - including three times as a GPS.

BBM went crazy, heated up the phone and ran the battery down. However, moving to an area with good reception would immediately cool the phone down and slow the battery drain.

I've just deleted all channels and restarted my phone. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

BBM is killing the battery-img_20140703_233902.png

BBM is killing the battery-img_20140703_233916.png

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 12:05 AM
    And here is the results after deleting all channels :

BBM is killing the battery-img_20140705_015602.png

No real change.

Posted via CB10
    gebco likes this.
    07-05-14 02:00 AM
    It iss happening to my gf's Q5 also.. Any ideas on how to solve it?!? Thx

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 01:51 AM
    smart548, yours is the first non Z30 phone that has popped up with this problem.

As for fixes, I and another had success with unsubscribing from all channels and rebooting the phone, others have not. A reflash did not work as neither did a reboot without unsubscribing from all channels.

The only common theme is, that it is triggered from a low cellular signal area. Removing all channels also solves the problem, but that also defeats the purpose of being able to use the channels in the first place.

I don't know what to suggest. How do we make BB aware of this?
    smart548 likes this.
    07-07-14 07:34 AM
    I had same issue one day last week and a hard reboot using volume keys solved the problem for me

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 09:19 AM
    The first night the phone dropped 40/100 of its charge, and it was indeed in an area where the signal is bad. Meanwhile during the last night, with 2G, no data service and in an area with excellent signal it dropped 65% of its charge!!! Right now it is again behaving good..I'll let you know if it will happen again.. Anyway she is on 10.2.1.2977(3247 OS version) with 10.2.1.3140 radio. If you can suggest me a better combo for her Q5 in terms of battery behaviour I will accept all of your suggestions Thx all!

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 09:33 AM
    So I have read all the posts before and conclude that the user has little control over the Blackberry battery drain, other than to turn the device off. This is really poor. The claims about receiver gain boost in poor reception areas is plausible and is probably the reason for heating and battery drain. My issue is this behavior even persists when the device is put into 'bedside' mode which is alleged to turn off ALL the radio comms. while leaving the alarm clock feature running. Well sorry guys, Blackberry fail again. Battery fully charged at 10pm, phone unplugged and put on nightstand in 'bedside' mode with alarm set for 6am. I wake at 6:45, Blackberry has failed to alarm and is now flashing amber because the battery is flat. Check the previous 12 hour activity monitor - you guessed it, BBM at 79% doing what its not supposed to be able to do.
    This stupidity occurs about every four weeks, then settles down. I have no apps or channels as far as I know. Any advice (apart from get an iPhone) welcome.
    12-02-14 10:31 AM
    Check for "Connect to BBM" in Settings > Security and Privacy > Application Permissions and deny all the app. Restart.

If the issue is not resolved, share a screenshot of your Device Monitor.
    12-02-14 07:22 PM
    Check for "Connect to BBM" in Settings > Security and Privacy > Application Permissions and deny all the app. Restart.

If the issue is not resolved, share a screenshot of your Device Monitor.
    I've done this but to no effect whatsoever. None of my apps except "Games" (the official app that came on the phone) have access to bbm. If this is the problem, how do i change the default settings on the official games app or just delete the app? I don't play anything online anyway.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 12:09 AM
    This is certainly a bug which I hope BlackBerry is working on fixing.

On my phone, BlackBerry Messenger munches on my battery even though I have it disabled in Parental Controls.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 01:45 AM
39 12