For some reason, BBM is hammering the system. Looking at the device monitor, over the last 12 hours, BBM has taken 60% of the battery and 46% of the CPU usage.

It was never like this and this was before the recent update and still doing this afterwards. I used to get a day and a half out of the phone, now I will struggle to get eight hours out of it.

I haven't changed my usage or added any new channels. I don't send messages or call, I just look at the channels, like I said, I haven't changed the way I use BBM.

Anyone else seen this issue?
    06-17-14 10:57 AM
    What other apps have you installed recently? Do any of those have BBM access? If so they could be the culprit always pinging the BBM service
    06-17-14 11:01 AM
    Hmmm, the only app I installed recently was Neatly. I haven't seen any bad reviews of this regarding BBM. I'll uninstall it and see what happens.
    06-17-14 11:08 AM
    It's a known bug. Reload the OS though link and it should be sorted. I had the same problem.

Posted via CB10
    vserghi likes this.
    06-17-14 11:32 AM
    I had the same problem few days ago and a restart fixed it.

Posted via CrackBerry App on my Zed 10
    06-17-14 01:44 PM
    I had the same thing. A restart fixed it. All is fine since then.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-14 02:21 PM
    I use BBM all day for work... still getting better then 3 days on one charge with my Z30.
    06-17-14 02:46 PM
    Uninstalling Neatly didn't fix it. I will reload the OS via Link as suggested. I have restarted the phone already with no change in battery performance
    06-18-14 05:00 AM
    well that did it, thanks the-elf
    06-19-14 03:26 AM
    Actually, it did not work. Yesterday, battery was almost depleted by 8pm after an overnight charge.

Looking at the battery and cpu usage, BBM was the culprit again.

I have now removed all channels to see what happens. So far with just the apps in BBM, it is behaving, itself. Gradually, I'll add the channels.

One thing I have noticed, this problem coincided with a move to a new property where there is next to no cellular signal. If I am lucky I get one bar on the lowest cellular, for want of a better word, level (gsm). I am wondering if BBM is constantly trying to connect to get the data, when there is no signal to get the data off...
    06-23-14 05:24 AM
    One thing I have noticed, this problem coincided with a move to a new property where there is next to no cellular signal. If I am lucky I get one bar on the lowest cellular, for want of a better word, level (gsm).
    Sounds like you've found the problem.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 05:31 AM
    Actually, it did not work. Yesterday, battery was almost depleted by 8pm after an overnight charge.

Looking at the battery and cpu usage, BBM was the culprit again.

I have now removed all channels to see what happens. So far with just the apps in BBM, it is behaving, itself. Gradually, I'll add the channels.

One thing I have noticed, this problem coincided with a move to a new property where there is next to no cellular signal. If I am lucky I get one bar on the lowest cellular, for want of a better word, level (gsm). I am wondering if BBM is constantly trying to connect to get the data, when there is no signal to get the data off...
    I have the same problem. I work in an area with poor reception. Both BBM and PIM services will sometimes spike and drain the battery. This never happens when I'm in a good reception area.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 08:22 AM
    Ditto, my work area is great, fast 4G access, at home is completely the opposite. I'll see how it goes over the next few evenings.
    06-23-14 08:36 AM
    Try turning off wireless if you are not using it. This drastically increased my battery life.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 08:37 AM
    Wireless is already off. I don't have an internet connection set up yet (end of week hopefully). Once that is up and running, then this issue could be sorted.

However, if it is because of a lack of cellular signal causing BBM and possibly PIM so go manic, then that is a bug in the software IMHO.
    06-23-14 08:46 AM

However, if it is because of a lack of cellular signal causing BBM and possibly PIM so go manic, then that is a bug in the software IMHO.
    I've never seen a phone that wouldn't run itself into the ground trying to maintain a signal in an area with poor reception. To do anything else would really be a programmed "good enough signal" response from the software - something that we really wouldn't want due to the impact on phone performance.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 09:19 AM
    I kind of agree, but for apps that are non-essential, and I would class BBM as non essential, why try and maintain a data link? In my case, more often than not, the signal is non existent, i.e. no voice or data available. In this instance, I am not expecting any PIM or BBM updates, so why should the phone try it's damnest to try and get something?

As a minimum, I would like these services to stop polling for data, or whatever the system is trying to do, when the signal is on one of the slowest network bands AND has a weak or no signal. From having a day and a half of usage to just about 8 hours worth, is not acceptable.
    06-23-14 10:22 AM
    I kind of agree, but for apps that are non-essential, and I would class BBM as non essential, why try and maintain a data link? In my case, more often than not, the signal is non existent, i.e. no voice or data available. In this instance, I am not expecting any PIM or BBM updates, so why should the phone try it's damnest to try and get something?

As a minimum, I would like these services to stop polling for data, or whatever the system is trying to do, when the signal is on one of the slowest network bands AND has a weak or no signal. From having a day and a half of usage to just about 8 hours worth, is not acceptable.
    All of your services are trying to connect. BBM just happens to be the most noticeable app that is being reported. Even on phones that don't have BBM, this happens. The reason for messaging apps to continually poll, is that the signal will be too weak for the phone to function, but a messaging app can still send and receive messages. This has proven beneficial in some disaster situations.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 10:31 AM
    I've just had a chat with my colleague about this. He cited the same issues on his old Nokia N95 from many years back. His solution was to turn off the 3G connection and just use the 2G connection. The reason being to prevent the phone from automatically trying to increase the antennae gain to get a connection. I will also have a play with this although the network selection is set to automatic anyway. This could explain the increase in CPU usage perhaps.

As for these services in emergency situations, I have heard stories of this, but these were SMS services (the ones I have heard of anyway), which uses the GSM system, which 2G, 3G, 4G all support anyway (correct me if I'm wrong).

As I said, I would not expect data services to be continually hammering the system trying to get data in weak or non-existent cellular areas, whilst I accept it may not be a bug, it is something that should really be addressed.
    06-23-14 11:11 AM
    I've never seen a phone that wouldn't run itself into the ground trying to maintain a signal in an area with poor reception. To do anything else would really be a programmed "good enough signal" response from the software - something that we really wouldn't want due to the impact on phone performance.

Posted via CB10
    This is not what is happening for me. My phone can still last hours in low signal areas. It is random whereby I try to respond to an email or bbm in these low signal areas that bbm or pim services spike. It doesn't happen all the time.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 06:03 PM
    Update. Today I didn't use bbm while at work in my low signal area and it spiked again. Had to restart the phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 06:05 PM
    Today I made sure I did not open BBM, it's not even in an active window. I was in an area with good signal strength and on 4G. Battery is at 47% from fully charged this morning. BBM is at fault once more.
    BBM is killing the battery-img_20140627_133637.png

Via my Zed30
    06-27-14 07:42 AM
    Some more images
    BBM is killing the battery-img_20140627_133518.png

BBM is killing the battery-img_20140627_133612.png

BBM is killing the battery-img_20140627_133718.png

Via my Zed30
    06-27-14 07:44 AM
    The phone has been restarted, wiped and reflashed. The phone was okay before the update to 3175.

Via my Zed30
    06-27-14 07:47 AM
    As soon as I remove any channels I have joined, it goes back to normal

Via my Zed30
    gebco likes this.
    06-27-14 09:00 AM
39 12