Is BBM a device based app or is it cloud based?
    I'm not sure how iOS or Android users subscribe to this service but BlackBerry users utilize their BlackBerry PIN to add contacts.
    Is it just me or does basing an IM client like BBM based on a HW based PIN seem restrictive?
    Think of an IM client like MS Lync (or MSN Messenger) ... could you imagine if you could only sign in to this from ONE PC based on its MAC address? Essentially that's what BBM does.
    I'm just trying to open the discussion on the fully potential of BBM and why using a PIN vs email seems restrictive.
    Using an email or some other sort of sign in tool would allow more of an 'anywhere from any device ' type of application. No?

Posted via CB10 for BB10. There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Last edited by d3r3k79; 11-16-13 at 08:06 PM.
    11-16-13 07:41 PM
    Hi!
    How is basing it on the pin restrictive? everyone can get a pin. It's not limited in any way...
    11-16-13 07:48 PM
    A PIN restricts a user to ONE single device in the same way that a telephone number restricts a user to that one, single unique PSTN number. Email addresess are also unique (depending on the domain) but can be utilized on many different devices at the same time using protocols such as SNMP. Can you get the same SMS Message on multiple devices the same way you can get an email on multiple devices?
    Didn't think so.

Posted via CB10 for BB10. There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
    11-16-13 07:53 PM
    Doesn't a BBID connect to the PIN and sync that way?

As in:
    1) Download BBM on iOS/Android device and log in via BBID
    ---> Receive a PIN
    2) Switch iOS/Android device and sync BBM via BBID
    ---> New PIN but all people who had the old PIN are updated to have your new one if you kept the same BBID

I could be wrong though.
    11-16-13 08:01 PM
    I'm not quite sure...
    But if what u say is true, it's still 'PIN' based which only allows a user to use one device for BBM.

11-16-13 08:04 PM
    It should be true. You can only have one instance of your BBID active at a time if I'm not mistaken.
    11-16-13 08:06 PM
    [QUOTE=heyjohnnybravo;9557917]It should be true. You can only have one instance of your BBID active at a time if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, you are correct, which is why I'm bringing this topic to discussion about whether or not this is restrictive.
    If BlackBerry is marketing themselves as a 'UC' type company with a slogan of 'keep moving', why would they only allow their flagship IM client to be utilized from one single device?
    I can get my emails on X amount of devices all at the same time, why should IM be any different?

11-16-13 08:12 PM
    [QUOTE=d3r3k79;9557949]
    It should be true. You can only have one instance of your BBID active at a time if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, you are correct, which is why I'm bringing this topic to discussion about whether or not this is restrictive.
    If BlackBerry is marketing themselves as a 'UC' type company with a slogan of 'keep moving', why would they only allow their flagship IM client to be utilized from one single device?
    I can get my emails on X amount of devices all at the same time, why should IM be any different?

I don't find it restrictive. Why view the same conversation on multiple devices? Emails and IMs aren't exactly the same. IMs I believe are more for instant communication.

Consider mobile phone numbers and SIM cards; you can only be contacted on one mobile at a time (dual-SIMs aside). Would it make any sense to have the same number attached to X number of devices? All ringing at the same time? Receiving the same messages?

If the need to converse with more than one person arises, add them to the conversation. I feel if you need to be in the conversation, you'll be there.

Keeping it restricted keeps redundancies down. Such as iMessage: my MacBook, my iPhone, my iPad, my iPod touch all get the same message. Say I'm only holding one device and friends or children are playing around on the other. What's to stop them from snooping your message or chat?
    11-16-13 09:22 PM
    [QUOTE=heyjohnnybravo;9558377]

I don't find it restrictive. Why view the same conversation on multiple devices? Emails and IMs aren't exactly the same. IMs I believe are more for instant communication.

Consider mobile phone numbers and SIM cards; you can only be contacted on one mobile at a time (dual-SIMs aside). Would it make any sense to have the same number attached to X number of devices? All ringing at the same time? Receiving the same messages?

If the need to converse with more than one person arises, add them to the conversation. I feel if you need to be in the conversation, you'll be there.

Keeping it restricted keeps redundancies down. Such as iMessage: my MacBook, my iPhone, my iPad, my iPod touch all get the same message. Say I'm only holding one device and friends or children are playing around on the other. What's to stop them from snooping your message or chat?
    What your talking about is personal security if people are snooping around on your device.
    Having BBM cloud based would open so many new possibities and features IMO. You can either add it to as many devices as you want or not. Using BBM on a desktop at work or at home.

11-17-13 09:35 AM