For two or three weeks I recognize unexpected data peaks of 20 MB and more on one day, the next days are calm, then again a new peak. Because my data volume is limited I'm interested in finding out what this is. I'm sensitized to this. I have automatic software updates off, diagnostic messages off and all that.

The only (!) action I did today was to send and receive six (!) BBM messages, all one liners. Device Monitor shows BBM clearly on rank 1 (currently 144MB (since when?), which is totally idiotic - the amount of data I sent over BBM in my lifetime is not more than 100 kB). And Usage Pro shows me a data consumption of 29 MB for today. Why? For what??? Can anyone explain or confirm this?

This behavior is new. BBM never made such peeks before. I'm almost sure this came with the last official update.
    08-10-15 02:36 AM
    Pushed updates and analytics data on your usage, particularly if you use emoticons or open the store.

Furthermore, if the network you use blocks the analytics domain, you will have a tremendous data usage as BBM will try and try again to contact it and deliver its payload. Note that this "bug" was corrected some while ago.
    08-10-15 03:54 AM
    Pushed updates and analytics data on your usage, particularly if you use emoticons or open the store.
    Never heard of both. Does BBM update (parts of) himself? I always got BBM updates via BB World. I never use emoticons or the store.
    Furthermore, if the network you use blocks the analytics domain, you will have a tremendous data usage as BBM will try and try again to contact it and deliver its payload.
    Sounds plausible.
    Note that this "bug" was corrected some while ago.
    I think, the last BBM update came on Sunday 2nd, a week ago. I'm still on 10.3.1 here in Europe, so I don't know if this update is indeed the latest and if it corrects this behavior. (I even don't know if 10.3.1 has the same BBM as 10.3.2)
    08-10-15 04:08 AM
    I checked this now a bit deeper using wifi.

When I open my data network connection everything is calm after some handshaking. Then I send a single character using BBM. This causes indeed a process which lasts several minutes. At first the character arrives on the receiver's device, this is done within seconds and you would assume that this is all. But indeed it's not. My device sends and sends and sends "data", about 1 MB per minute. Of course this is also visible as battery drain. I don't know if this ever stops, it's running for about ten minutes now and I have more than 12 MB traffic caused by a single character sent with BBM and it still gets more and more.

Also receiving a message causes unexpected much traffic. A single character leads to about 800 kB of traffic on my device. (No pictures or such things included at all.)

I saw, there's an option not to use BBM on mobile networks. I'll switch this on now to be sure. But this can't be the fix.
    08-10-15 09:46 AM
    You detect the same issue while on Mobile and Wi-Fi networks ? If you can do the same test over a public Wi-Fi (not from your carrier or your ISP).
    08-10-15 01:03 PM
    You detect the same issue while on Mobile and Wi-Fi networks ?
    Why not? If it depends on the app and not on the layers below? The app causes sending.
    If you can do the same test over a public Wi-Fi (not from your carrier or your ISP).
    Don't have one near me. (Very bad!)

Yesterday in the evening I rebooted my device. It was running since the beginning of May. This changed some things. The amount of sent data has been reduced a lot. But I still can detect an ongoing process after sending a BBM message. It sends and sends and sends.
    08-11-15 12:05 AM
    Why not? If it depends on the app and not on the layers below?
    The high level of sent MB was due to an ad filter on the Wi-Fi router or the mobile network. The analytics website was blacklisted and the app tried and tried again to send its data.

You can validate this assumption by using another network (hopefully not filter, so not from your current carrier or ISP). And let the app send its data. When done, as you don't use emoticons, don't open the BBM store again.

The "bug" correction was for the app to stop trying to send its payload if the endpoint was still unavailable, and retry far later. By the way, just for info, the bug was in the API provided by this analytics company, not due to an error by BlackBerry (except Quality Assurance I assumed).
    08-11-15 06:41 AM
    I must dig out this thread because it's still not better. Meanwhile I updated to 10.3.2.2474. Probably I also got changes to BBM.

But it's still as I told before: when I send a few characters over BBM I get an enormous data traffic. Yesterday I sent exactly two messages, both under 100 characters, and I got a traffic in this hour of more than 33MB. I did nothing else than BBM, I'm sure. So what does this thing send??? My girl answered my messages with again some few words and had not at all this traffic. So it must be a significant difference between my Z30 and her Z30 - same carrier, same OS, same BBM settings.

One thing is: I have a profile picture (I don't know why), and she hasn't. When I open my BBM it shows in the top left corner a picture near my account name. (I don't even know how to set or remove this picture.) But I guess this picture is sent with each of my messages.
    09-18-15 02:59 AM
    No, it's not the profile picture

By the way, you didn't check the global network usage, but the one only for BBM, right ? You have to check the line graphs for Mobile Data and/or Wi-Fi. Here are mines :
    BBM causes data peaks of some ten MB?-img_20150918_111204_edit.png
    BBM causes data peaks of some ten MB?-img_20150918_111210_edit.png
    09-18-15 04:15 AM
    This problem is also being discussed on the official support forums: Re: Used 3.6GB of data in 4 days with BBM need hel... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

And has its own ticket in the BlackBerry JIRA portal (dev account needed): https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-2751

As such, despite people continuing to say it has been resolved, it has most definitely not been resolved even in the most recent BBM beta in the Beta Zone.
    muellerto likes this.
    09-18-15 01:38 PM
    Well, if you followed the activity on this ticket, you saw :
    Attachment 371981
    Attachment 371982

Hope OP (no pun intended) won't have this problem soon ! By the way, I have the issue only if I enable Ads filter in my carrier settings.
    09-18-15 02:10 PM
    Those attachments show up as invalid. If you're referring to your screenshots, that's fine and all but you have to keep in mind that out of the 4 Z30s in my household and 2 other ones owned by friends, only 1 is experiencing this problem. All phones are running the same OS and BBM version (except now my Z30 and the one in question are on the BBM beta to test if it was resolved).

So it's quite a sporadic issue and I can't reliably reproduce it. It just happens mostly when on a weak or slow internet connection. I have no ad blocking or DNS blocking on my WiFi and nor does my provider on cell data. The issue exists on both radios. I am just lucky I now have unlimited data at home, to alleviate the issue off my cell data plan which is capped.
    09-18-15 04:44 PM
    So it's quite a sporadic issue and I can't reliably reproduce it.
    On my device I have it permanently. I can reproduce it nearly all the time except the device is fresh booted. Then the amount of traffic is much smaller for a while. - OK, if it is a known issue I can hope they fix it somewhen.
    09-20-15 07:02 AM
    On my device I have it permanently. I can reproduce it nearly all the time except the device is fresh booted. Then the amount of traffic is much smaller for a while. - OK, if it is a known issue I can hope they fix it somewhen.
    Hopefully. If you reply on the BB support forum then it's more likely that someone from BB will try to help. The more people they get providing debug logs, the better.
    09-20-15 07:54 PM