The new private chat feature is implemented perfectly, but nobody is going to pay $1 USD / month for it!

I could have convinced friends who are strong blackberry haters to use BBM if that feature was free... that tells me they are on to something, allow users to subscribe by paying $1/mo or have them subscribe by allowing advertisements when they use paid features... BBM might become VERY popular.

Posted via CB10
    YeemanBB likes this.
    09-22-15 04:01 PM
    I agree, it should be free !

Posted with my Amazing  Passport
    09-22-15 04:05 PM
    The new private chat feature is implemented perfectly, but nobody is going to pay $1 USD / month for it!

I could have convinced friends who are strong blackberry haters to use BBM if that feature was free... that tells me they are on to something, allow users to subscribe by paying $1/mo or have them subscribe by allowing advertisements when they use paid features... BBM might become VERY popular.

Posted via CB10
    Advertising equates to tacking and a reduction in personal privacy. One of the main reasons I use BlackBerry is that they don't use ad support for their core applications. I don't trust companies that use the current form of Internet advertising with my personal data.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    09-22-15 04:17 PM
    I agree $1 a month isn't much if your really popular but if trying to get there why not charge something more like $1-$5 a year for that feature.

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    09-22-15 04:19 PM
    Advertising equates to tacking and a reduction in personal privacy. One of the main reasons I use BlackBerry is that they don't use ad support for their core applications. I don't trust companies that use the current form of Internet advertising with my personal data.

Very good point! They should reduce the cost then. Or at least make it free for a year to get you hooked. As soon as I showed people the feature they loved it, as soon as they saw $1/month they didn't even install bbm even though bbm is free.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 04:30 PM
    I pay for it.

A dollar a month is chump change.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 05:04 PM
    I pay for it.

A dollar a month is chump change.

Posted via CB10
    Your right! 12 dollars a year for something III never use because I don't have the BBM contacts on the other end in order to utilize the service, is as stated......chump change!

These services should be an in app one-time purchase in my opinion. BBM as an instant messaging application, is not in a #1 spot that they can charge monthly subs for premium services.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    09-22-15 05:20 PM
    There should be "cluster pricing". Start with the single user, no connections also using the service, $1 per month; then as soon as that person connects to another person, 80 per month each. Add a third person, 75 per month... and so on until you're down to 40 per month or something like that, really low, but you've got a dozen people using it, and there's a built-in incentive to spread the word. Try to get four or 5 people on immediately and you're down to 60 a month.

...but it's pretty clear that "privacy" has only a niche-market appeal. Android and iPhone do gangbusters, and when the tracking issues and profiling "scandals" surface, the world heaves a collective "meh".

Corporations and people want SECURITY, I'm not sure they want PRIVACY.

I really think it's time this distinction between SECURITY and PRIVACY is more established and more people consider them separately. EVERYONE really wants security (knowing their important personal information isn't "hacked") but most people really don't give a darn about privacy.
    Carmels likes this.
    09-23-15 09:16 AM
    You can use private chat for free for a couple of times.. it hasn't asked me to pay yet lol.

I agree all bbm monetization is beyond stupid though. All their competitors are moving twice as fast and everything they do is free.

Though I find bbm is much more polished in its UI and ease of use.
    09-23-15 09:29 AM
    There should be "cluster pricing". Start with the single user, no connections also using the service, $1 per month; then as soon as that person connects to another person, 80 per month each. Add a third person, 75 per month... and so on until you're down to 40 per month or something like that, really low, but you've got a dozen people using it, and there's a built-in incentive to spread the word. Try to get four or 5 people on immediately and you're down to 60 a month.

...but it's pretty clear that "privacy" has only a niche-market appeal. Android and iPhone do gangbusters, and when the tracking issues and profiling "scandals" surface, the world heaves a collective "meh".

Corporations and people want SECURITY, I'm not sure they want PRIVACY.

I really think it's time this distinction between SECURITY and PRIVACY is more established and more people consider them separately. EVERYONE really wants security (knowing their important personal information isn't "hacked") but most people really don't give a darn about privacy.
    I don't disagree with anything you have said. However, does it matter that your important personal information hasn't been hacked if you give it away to a company that sells it to anyone who wants to buy it. Also while privacy may currently be a niche-market it is quickly becoming main stream. The introduction of add blocking to iOS browsing has created a number of applications that are seeing high volume downloads. There are many good reasons to block adds. Security from malvertising is an important one, but so is freedom from tracking.
    David Tyler likes this.
    09-23-15 10:40 AM
    Nobody uses BBM... it could be an enhancement to market for BlackBerry but as it is it's only for a very few canadians...

Bumpkin
    09-23-15 11:29 AM
    Does anyone know the answers ?

What are the restrictions on this feature if you don't pay? I can use it without paying for it.

What happens when I pay for it and the other person I chat with don't?

Posted via CB10
    MRTTNS likes this.
    09-23-15 02:54 PM
    forget BBM. BB is alive still thanks to whatsapp. We all have to move on.
    09-23-15 05:16 PM
    Nothing is free.

Nothing.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    09-23-15 11:13 PM
    Nothing is free.

Nothing.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Very first lesson in economics....
    09-24-15 08:00 PM
    I would pay for it. But nobody I know uses bbm..
    09-24-15 08:13 PM
    The on earth is the point of the private chats???

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 12:53 PM
    The on earth is the point of the private chats???

Posted via CB10
    You need to ask that on a SnapChat forum.

09-27-15 09:27 AM