Hi,
    I'm new to crackberry, but it seems like the place where most people find their answers and solutions (official and unofficial ones).

I have a Q5 with 10.2.0.424. My Carrier is Etisalat in UAE.

I used to for a long time use the blackberry package from Etisalat (kind of carried on from my pre-BB10 days) but use only BIS. Due to my annoyance with their billing mistakes, I cancelled the blackberry package and went with a pure data package (like the iOS and Android users get), as the BB10 is supposed to fully work on a data package.

Well, everything seems to work (i.e. Emails, Whatsapp, Facebook, Browser,...) except BBM! BBM will only work when I'm in Wi-fi but not on the data network. Further investigation showed that if I use the data package (APN: etisalat.ae) then it wont work, but if I go to the older data package for blackberry (APN: blackberry.net) then it does work if I have the blackberry package. So, it seems like Etisalat are blocking BBM access on the etisalat.ae APN - I guess trying to coerce users to continue with their expensive BB packages! I want to stay with this cheaper 1/3rd the cost package as my data usage at home/office is all on Wifi anyway so I never use that much mobile data.

From what I know (still to be confirmed personally) iOS and Android users with BBM can use BBM on the same package (with APN etisalat.ae) but if I use a BB10 device like Q5 then its blocked. Is this possible?

I tried contacting Etisalat for an answer but they are known for their 'great' customer service, so no response (and neither anything intelligent expected unfortunately!). I guess they are happy as long as people buy their expensive packages - Blackberry Middle East should probably try to get it fixed with Etisalat, as if I want BBM now then a BB device aint what one should get!

Anyone know of anyway to workaround this issue?
    11-12-13 04:31 AM
    Did you try side loading the android app?

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 04:34 AM
    Hi,
    I'm new to crackberry, but it seems like the place where most people find their answers and solutions (official and unofficial ones).

I have a Q5 with 10.2.0.424. My Carrier is Etisalat in UAE.

I used to for a long time use the blackberry package from Etisalat (kind of carried on from my pre-BB10 days) but use only BIS. Due to my annoyance with their billing mistakes, I cancelled the blackberry package and went with a pure data package (like the iOS and Android users get), as the BB10 is supposed to fully work on a data package.

Well, everything seems to work (i.e. Emails, Whatsapp, Facebook, Browser,...) except BBM! BBM will only work when I'm in Wi-fi but not on the data network. Further investigation showed that if I use the data package (APN: etisalat.ae) then it wont work, but if I go to the older data package for blackberry (APN: blackberry.net) then it does work if I have the blackberry package. So, it seems like Etisalat are blocking BBM access on the etisalat.ae APN - I guess trying to coerce users to continue with their expensive BB packages! I want to stay with this cheaper 1/3rd the cost package as my data usage at home/office is all on Wifi anyway so I never use that much mobile data.

From what I know (still to be confirmed personally) iOS and Android users with BBM can use BBM on the same package (with APN etisalat.ae) but if I use a BB10 device like Q5 then its blocked. Is this possible?

I tried contacting Etisalat for an answer but they are known for their 'great' customer service, so no response (and neither anything intelligent expected unfortunately!). I guess they are happy as long as people buy their expensive packages - Blackberry Middle East should probably try to get it fixed with Etisalat, as if I want BBM now then a BB device aint what one should get!

Anyone know of anyway to workaround this issue?
    I have heard of this before with a South African carrier. They were deliberately blocking bbm in order to sell it's usage as an add on package.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.0.1803 O2 UK
    11-12-13 05:00 AM
    I would write to BlackBerry also and ask for their official position on this matter.

--------------------

Pic Tagger for Z30, Z10, Q10, Q5
    11-12-13 05:12 AM
    Blackberry's lost its mojo! Sad, but it seems true.
    11-13-13 12:32 PM