06-03-17 02:50 AM
85 ... 234
tools
    Bad coding: when an app goes into background, there is no reason for it to continue and drain ressources. And we are talking about a messenger... what background process has to be executed??? Nothing. So why is it consuming batteries?
    See how many messages you receive if the app isn't running.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-17 08:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    BBM is always running on a BB10 or BBOS device.

What we are talking about is the app goes from idle to action to send or receive a message and then doesn't return to idle like it should.
    06-01-17 09:28 AM
    Well, still frustrated cuz I can't video call my friends, who I've made 7 of them to install BBM because the end of support of Whatsapp. All oh them are ios/android users.
    06-01-17 10:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    All of them
    You got to distinguish between the app being running and the app in background. While in background the app isn't running.
    And a properly coded app will consume next to nothing in background.... And it will simply use the push notification services to notify if there's a new message.
    06-01-17 03:11 PM
    Well a foundation, if well managed and if there's enough money in it, should never run out of cash.
    I'm not sure it's a foundation. It would need some people investing the donation to generate funds to keep growing the pot of money. Don't think they have that.

Telegram raises a few eyebrows. Respected security people have said their encryption schemes are suspect. Their server code is closed source. And the biggest question, how do they make money?

BBM used to be a "killer feature" which enticed people to buy BlackBerry phones, no mystery about how its cost can be justified. Apple, arguably, uses its messaging appointment lock people into their ecosystem. That doesn't prove they, BlackBerry or Apple, don't collect user data for profit.
    But the other guys, WhatsApp, Facebook and all those guys, there is no other motive or method for making money. You can be SURE they are mining your data and you are the product.

If any of them truly wanted to just give the world a better tool for communication, they would open up the protocol so that anyone could implement a client and anyone could run a server. XMPP / Jabber is one such option.
    06-02-17 12:07 AM
    I'm not sure it's a foundation. It would need some people investing the donation to generate funds to keep growing the pot of money. Don't think they have that.

Telegram raises a few eyebrows. Respected security people have said their encryption schemes are suspect. Their server code is closed source. And the biggest question, how do they make money?

BBM used to be a "killer feature" which enticed people to buy BlackBerry phones, no mystery about how its cost can be justified. Apple, arguably, uses its messaging appointment lock people into their ecosystem. That doesn't prove they, BlackBerry or Apple, don't collect user data for profit.
    But the other guys, WhatsApp, Facebook and all those guys, there is no other motive or method for making money. You can be SURE they are mining your data and you are the product.

If any of them truly wanted to just give the world a better tool for communication, they would open up the protocol so that anyone could implement a client and anyone could run a server. XMPP / Jabber is one such option.
    Well there are different ways to make money.

-Data mining: that's the obvious way. They can read the messages and/or the user data

-Fee: speaks by for itself

-Use it as a marketing or retention tool: sort of like iMessage, it retains its customer to Apple. Don't underestimate how much that is worth!

-Some kind of combinaison of all that above!
    06-02-17 07:32 AM
    Bad coding: when an app goes into background, there is no reason for it to continue and drain ressources. And we are talking about a messenger... what background process has to be executed??? Nothing. So why is it consuming batteries?
    Indeed. Bad coding = global warming.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-17 01:03 PM
    BBM is always running on a BB10 or BBOS device.

What we are talking about is the app goes from idle to action to send or receive a message and then doesn't return to idle like it should.
    Indeed! There was no problem with BBM protected on BB10 before the update.
    It never drained my battery and I was using BBM almost daily for BBM chats and video chats.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-17 01:05 PM
    combinaison
    Repère le français !

Posted via CB10
    06-02-17 03:35 PM
    In case no one has posted yet or no one has seen the update, BBM Enterprise update is out. If you are using BBM Enterprise you will be prompted when you open the app. I assume if you deactivated BBM Enterprise then all you would do is activate it again.
    06-03-17 02:50 AM
85 ... 234