-The Icons are much improved but they could just make the translucent backdrop stretch to the whole screen, instead of each individual icon much like the Playbook
    Ideally, the user should be able to configure the transparency for these, from opaque all the way to gone.
    01-11-13 11:01 AM
    Hi all.

RIM's BB10 OS is almost out and they seemed to have crammed a ton of functionality into it, with more yet to be announced. The peek/flow interaction scheme is great and innovative. However, I feel that RIM/TAT have not made the most aesthetically pleasing UI. To be clear, I am separating BB10's innovative UI functionality from the UI aesthetic.

I can't put my finger on it, but there is just something very displeasing and amatuerish-looking about the whole UI for me The colour scheme, the icon grid, the frames for the active frame content all look really--I hate to say it--bad It looks like engineers designed the UI and not TAT staff Also, something about wallpapers that are not images [edit: of real things] I find extremely 2005 looking. The use of an essentially one-coloured background (especially blue backgrounds) really seems to take away from the visual look of the phone, but this is the type of plain/boring/old background RIM seems to insist on using in its demos.

As objective RIM and BB10 fans (I mean--as objective as we can be 20 days away from launch of the long-awaited BB10 , I was wondering if others agree or if you find the UI beautiful?

At the end of the day, what is "beautiful" and "plain" is entirely subjective of course. These are just my worries as I want people to be wowed or--at the very least--not immediately dismissive of BB10 phones when they see them sitting at their local mobile store. The last thing we want is for all the hard work put into BB10's functionality to be dismissed before people even try it because they think the UI looks plain.

Cheers
    Yes, this BB OS is so fugly, I can't stand looking at it..................................

BlackBerry Z10 leaks in RIM marketing materials | BGR
    01-11-13 11:24 AM
    It does look very plain and very simple to me. The grid view, which you will always see on every device today is not very pleasing anymore. The color scheme is alright to me, very professional, to say the least. I'm not sure if BB10 OS will be as customizable (in terms of looks) as the current BB OS today, I'm hoping it will be, though. But really, UI looks don't really matter to me, it's all abut the functionality. I guess RIM doesn't want the BB10 to be like the Vista (look > functionality). :P

It is a matter of opinion, though.
    01-11-13 12:35 PM
    It does look very plain and very simple to me. The grid view, which you will always see on every device today is not very pleasing anymore. The color scheme is alright to me, very professional, to say the least. I'm not sure if BB10 OS will be as customizable (in terms of looks) as the current BB OS today, I'm hoping it will be, though. But really, UI looks don't really matter to me, it's all abut the functionality. I guess RIM doesn't want the BB10 to be like the Vista (look > functionality). :P

It is a matter of opinion, though.
    Not sure why everyone says all phones have a grid view...that's simply not the case. Android does not have a grid view if you don't want it to. Unlike BB10 and iOS, you can arrange icons however you want, leaving spaces wherever you want. More importantly you can arrange your screens with widgets and resize them basically however you want. Everyone lumps Android in with iOS when they talk of grid view...just tired of hearing that when it's not the case

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Drew808 likes this.
    01-11-13 02:45 PM
    The BlackBerry OS 10 UI is dull, uninspired, devoid of creativity, and further proof we will never see TAT-influenced design with BlackBerry OS 10. I expected a UX unrivaled by any other device (smartphone or tablet) in the marketplace. My sister's Apple iPhone 4 (maybe it's 3) uses the application grid and it was boring back then.
    01-11-13 02:56 PM
    The BlackBerry OS 10 UI is dull, uninspired, devoid of creativity, and further proof we will never see TAT-influenced design with BlackBerry OS 10. I expected a UX unrivaled by any other device (smartphone or tablet) in the marketplace. My sister's Apple iPhone 4 (maybe it's 3) uses the application grid and it was boring back then.
    Yea, just watched another good demo I hadn't seen before and it's definitely a no go for me. BB is done as far as I'm concerned. I saw nothing that looked remotely inspiring or eye catching. This "hub" idea is sillier and sillier the more I look at it. It's Android notifications except from the side and not the top. I guess there are not but so many ways to view notifications, but with a sink or swim mentality that BB had, I really expected more (from what I've seen anyway). Crappy doo doo...I was starting to get a little excited too

01-11-13 03:02 PM
    I don't find it ugly at all. We haven't yet seen the final product as I'm sure Cascades has been implemented across the entire OS in the final builds before release.

Just to say, but I found Windows Phone 8 to be less attractive than WP7 (especially on the 8X). This was my impression from videos, screenshots, and pictures. I just played with an 8X a couple days ago and the quality of both the device and OS was miles better than what I had seen before. BB10 photos, screenshots, and videos don't do the OS or device justice. I'm certain we'll all be more than pleasantly surprised by what we see on 30 January and even more surprised when we actually hold the device in my hands.

Just as an aside, I was thinking that maybe a device with a 4.3" screen would be a bit large (a former 8230 and current 9810 user here) but after playing with the 8X (also 4.3" screen), I feel that the Z10 device will be the perfect size!
    You know, from videos I found the Win Phone 8 UI to be ugly, until I actually tried one out (a Nokia Lumia 920). The fluidity of the transitions play a HUGE part in the "feel" of the UI and I immediately loved it after picking up the phone and using it for just a few moments. I hope its the same for BB10 in that one must actually play with the phone to get the full effect--an effect that can't be appreciated from pictures or videos. And from what I've seen, BB10 is *extremely* fluid

Also, +1 on the 4.3 inch screen. I also think that is the perfect screen size. This and the confirmation of 2 GB of RAM were awesome surprises!
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    01-11-13 03:11 PM
    Yea, just watched another good demo I hadn't seen before and it's definitely a no go for me. BB is done as far as I'm concerned. I saw nothing that looked remotely inspiring or eye catching. This "hub" idea is sillier and sillier the more I look at it. It's Android notifications except from the side and not the top. I guess there are not but so many ways to view notifications, but with a sink or swim mentality that BB had, I really expected more (from what I've seen anyway). Crappy doo doo...I was starting to get a little excited too

I disagree about the hub being silly. It seems that it is one of the main reasons BB10 has been getting great reviews and even convincing once diehard RIM-haters that BB has a chance for a comeback. I love my unified inbox and the Hub seems to be a great evolution and extension of that idea.

Anyhow, we should start a different thread to discuss the hub, I'm still interested to hear people's thoghts on the UI.
    01-11-13 03:21 PM
    It doesn't sound like you're the type of customer (BlackBerry Person) that RIM is trying to attract. You're looking for something that will "wow" you, but really, BB10 is about practicality and everyday usefulness. The BlackBerry Hub is a prime example. On the surface, it seems like just another substitute for the Android pull-down menu, but someone like me would see it differently. Here's a couple examples of how it's different:

- It's one place to check all your notifications, current or past. You don't have to open separate apps to check previous messages (which I do all the time) that have already been erased from the pull-down menu the first time you open them.
    - It's very cumbersome and awkward to have to reposition your hand for your thumb to reach the top of the screen. It feels like I'll drop my Motorola HD everytime I try to check a notification. I would probably feel much more comfortable just moving my thumb from the bottom of the screen and to the side because my thumb is moving in a more natural motion.

These may seem like minor things (it's definitely not something that will make you go "OMG SO AMAZING!"), but it is something I'll be using hundreds of times a day. It isn't some gimmick feature that makes people excited for a couple weeks before it's completely forgotten about... Oh wait. I actually saw one of my classmates using Siri today just out of sheer boredom.

However, I'm veering off topic. Ultimately, if you're looking for a flashy OS with tons of features (jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none), then maybe you should just stick with Android (or perhaps look into Ubuntu, Sailfish or some of the other OS' launching this year). It's got active wallpapers which are nice, scrolling backgrounds, HD widgets, and neat little transitional effects sprinkled throughout the OS. For me, all of that means nothing when it's simply not enjoyable to actually use the phone or answer messages.

I'm more than willing to sacrifice a pretty UI for simplicity and practicality, which probably makes me the kind of person RIM is targeting, at least for now until RIM decides to titivate the OS after establishing a solid footing in the industry again.
    01-11-13 04:01 PM
    It doesn't sound like you're the type of customer (BlackBerry Person) that RIM is trying to attract. You're looking for something that will "wow" you, but really, BB10 is about practicality and everyday usefulness. The BlackBerry Hub is a prime example. On the surface, it seems like just another substitute for the Android pull-down menu, but someone like me would see it differently. Here's a couple examples of how it's different:

- It's one place to check all your notifications, current or past. You don't have to open separate apps to check previous messages (which I do all the time) that have already been erased from the pull-down menu the first time you open them.
    - It's very cumbersome and awkward to have to reposition your hand for your thumb to reach the top of the screen. It feels like I'll drop my Motorola HD everytime I try to check a notification. I would probably feel much more comfortable just moving my thumb from the bottom of the screen and to the side because my thumb is moving in a more natural motion.

These may seem like minor things (it's definitely not something that will make you go "OMG SO AMAZING!"), but it is something I'll be using hundreds of times a day. It isn't some gimmick feature that makes people excited for a couple weeks before it's completely forgotten about... Oh wait. I actually saw one of my classmates using Siri today just out of sheer boredom.

However, I'm veering off topic. Ultimately, if you're looking for a flashy OS with tons of features (jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none), then maybe you should just stick with Android (or perhaps look into Ubuntu, Sailfish or some of the other OS' launching this year). It's got active wallpapers which are nice, scrolling backgrounds, HD widgets, and neat little transitional effects sprinkled throughout the OS. For me, all of that means nothing when it's simply not enjoyable to actually use the phone or answer messages.

I'm more than willing to sacrifice a pretty UI for simplicity and practicality, which probably makes me the kind of person RIM is targeting, at least for now until RIM decides to titivate the OS after establishing a solid footing in the industry again.
    Sorry, but practicality and usefulness (ie conservative/boring) got Blackberry exactly where they are today. They desperately need a "wow" experience if they are going to be around for the long haul. And I could care less about scrolling wallpaper and transitional effects...I was just looking for a bit more I guess is all I was saying.

01-11-13 05:17 PM
    It looks outdated to me. Like a poor man's iOS.
    01-11-13 05:43 PM
    It looks great
    01-11-13 05:44 PM
    Sorry, but practicality and usefulness (ie conservative/boring) got Blackberry exactly where they are today. They desperately need a "wow" experience if they are going to be around for the long haul.
    So RIM is where it's at because they makes practical and useful handsets?
    01-11-13 06:15 PM
    looks ugly to me

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-11-13 06:29 PM
    So RIM is where it's at because they makes practical and useful handsets?
    Practical/useful = boring. A good smartphone needs both of those features for sure, but if that's all you got with no wow factor, then yes...you have blackberry in the position they're in.

01-11-13 06:51 PM
    Practical/useful = boring.
    This is going nowhere. We obviously have very different ways of looking at smartphones. They're primarily a communication tool for me. The entertainment comes from talking to my friends.
    01-11-13 07:03 PM
    They are sticking to their DNA that has to do more with functionality than with aesthetics. As well I think that we will see a much better UI on the playbook with a flashier look
    mk2234 likes this.
    01-11-13 07:05 PM
    It looks to bland to me. honestly I think BB10 has potential. but people do judge on looks. it's a fact. people like wp8 because it's different. yet they may have a weird UI. yet it's selling like hot cakes. why can't it be the same for RIM?. Be different and people will be interested.
    01-11-13 07:10 PM
    It looks to bland to me. honestly I think BB10 has potential. but people do judge on looks. it's a fact. people like wp8 because it's different. yet they may have a weird UI. yet it's selling like hot cakes. why can't it be the same for RIM?. Be different and people will be interested.
    I have BB's because they are not the same, if I wanted that id have a ithing in my hand (not) and I have wp8 on my desktop, def not on my phone.
    01-11-13 07:16 PM
    I personally think it's impressive, but a lot of people on CrackBerry seem to keep picking on the littlest things ever! It's sad :/
    mk2234 likes this.
    01-11-13 07:18 PM
    This is going nowhere. We obviously have very different ways of looking at smartphones. They're primarily a communication tool for me. The entertainment comes from talking to my friends.
    I'm actually agreeing with your view that bb10 appears to be a conservative communication tool. I'm also saying that is what put bb in the position they are in. While you may use your phone as a strict communication tool, that will not push bb to the next level (where they need to go asap).

01-11-13 07:25 PM
    Maybe the final OS has some nice influence from TAT.
    I'm hoping the final BlackBerry 10 OS will have surprises from TAT. Can they put that media player from TAT 2 years ago? Has anyone seen the media player on BlackBerry 10 yet?
    01-11-13 08:22 PM
    BlackBerry always had themes. No one seen a BlackBerry 10 theme builder yet? People are crying over those icons...well why does the BlackBerry 10 email look like the same email from 2005 when I had my BB 7100i??
    01-11-13 08:42 PM
    As a whole, no. I don't like the overabundance of dark grey, how the grey is used, and the action bar on the bottom- especially with the back button. That tab button in the browser (both its appearance and placement) are also a little maddening. I think it looks acceptable for the most part and occasionally attractive.
    01-11-13 08:47 PM

Actually, its more like the unified inbox on current Blackberry phones, if you want to compare it to something.
    01-11-13 09:34 PM
105 12345