05-03-12 10:59 PM
39 12
tools
    Post your thoughts regarding the possibility of the BB10 phone not having a removable battery. I don't know if that will be the case, but should it deliver with a non-user removable battery, would that affect your decision to buy or not to buy?
    jafobabe likes this.
    04-26-12 03:02 PM
    I hope to never have the battery out of the device. I don't need access to the battery in my Playbook. So for me personally, not an issue. I do see where the crowd that carries extra batteries may not like it though.
    04-26-12 03:13 PM
    Part of the detraction of BBOS was the lag and associated battery pulls needed as a result.

I'd love it if BB10 is so stable no battery pulls are needed or even possible. That would be a great way to market toward former users.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    pantlesspenguin and Guatiao like this.
    04-26-12 03:20 PM
    Both.

Usually a non removable battery allows for a slimmer device. Or, devices with non removable batteries should automatically come with a larger battery (basically extended battery).

I think RIM should cater to both types of users.
    Last edited by avt123; 04-26-12 at 03:29 PM.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    04-26-12 03:26 PM
    I hope BB10 is stable enough that the only reason for the ability to switch batteries is because of a low battery. I would rather carry an extra battery than a charger everyday
    04-26-12 03:26 PM
    I almost bought a Razr Maxx which has a sealed battery. The reason I didn't had nothing to do with that, though. I think as long as the stock battery could get me through the day this aspect wouldn't bother me. However, it would've been a deal breaker on my HTC Rezound because the battery life is less than stellar, but since I can put in an extended battery it's perfect.
    04-26-12 03:27 PM
    If it can last me through a day with some usage i wouldn't mind it. But with removable battery it comes in handy.
    04-26-12 03:31 PM
    I agree with the above. I personally don't have to pull my battery at all on my 9700 on OS5. So, as long as it's stable, I prefer the enclosed battery like my iphone.
    04-26-12 04:28 PM
    Part of the detraction of BBOS was the lag and associated battery pulls needed as a result.

I'd love it if BB10 is so stable no battery pulls are needed or even possible. That would be a great way to market toward former users.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Well, I have had to do 0 battery pulls on my PlayBook since I bought it.
    04-26-12 04:38 PM
    It has to have a removable battery. If you travel a lot you will need it that is why I bought a Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G over the HTC One S.
    04-26-12 05:31 PM
    Well, I have had to do 0 battery pulls on my PlayBook since I bought it.
    Come to think of it, I don't recall the last time I pulled the battery from my PB or iPhone.
    jafobabe likes this.
    04-26-12 06:06 PM
    If the BB10's have a battery that can not be changed, it better utilize the 'self charging battery' that Rimm is looking in to.

But I prefer to have a removable battery... just in case.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    04-26-12 07:06 PM
    Both.

Usually a non removable battery allows for a slimmer device. Or, devices with non removable batteries should automatically come with a larger battery (basically extended battery).

I think RIM should cater to both types of users.
    If my Torch was any slimmer I'd drop it.

I don't mind having a removable battery at all. One less thing I'd need to send the phone away to have fixed should the battery develop a problem.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-26-12 09:40 PM
    i think having a removable battery would be smart unless the battery life is thru the roof. It really doesnt add that much bulk, my nexus is damn thin in my opinion with a extended battery in it even
    04-26-12 09:52 PM
    I prefer removable. There are times when I am simply not near a charging source. This passed December I was in Utah at Snowbird. Had my Bold 9930 and 2 batteries on the slopes. Had a pretty weak signal and so the battery drain was fairly fast whenever I used data. I would have been very annoyed if I had to go in to charge, or go without a device (needed to check in with work).

There was a cafe inside the main plaza where people would come in and plug in along the walls. So those were folks that either had to (iPhones) or folks that did not have spares. I just ducked in for a quick sandwich and drink and hit the slopes.

If RIM did this then I would just keep an older Berry for use in those cases. I guess.
    04-26-12 09:58 PM
    I could live with it if the battery life is relatively good.
    04-26-12 10:07 PM
    Sure, sure, less options is better!
    04-26-12 10:22 PM
    For me, it would have to use a removable battery.

Edit: It also is mandatory, because if you cannot get that battery out... Water damage will KILL it. That is my main concern.
    04-27-12 02:53 AM
    I had a Moto Razr V3m, and it was probably one of the best small slim phones on the market at the time. Anyway, my battery cover kept popping off, and when I secured it, there was a noticeable bulge which I could not for the life of me figure out why. So I go to the Sprint store to inquire as to what may be the issue, when the gal at the counter told me the battery needs to be replaced because it was "fatter" then usual indicating a possible overcharge, which I understood to be a possibility. So I buy a new battery and the bulge problem was solved. My point, I guess, is had the battery been non-removable, I most certainly would have been buying a new phone instead of a battery. I vote for removable battery.
    04-27-12 05:45 AM
    I saw the poll about this and was ready to vote for a removable battery then I thought about it. With each of the 3 BB's I've owned I purchased a spare battery and can't remember ever using them. I am never too far from a charger, on my desk at work, in my car and several at home. However like was mentioned earlier in this thread there are many times with the current OS that you need to 'pull the battery', the first thing T-Mobile asks you is if you pulled the battery. If they were to do away with a removable battery how would they handle this? Would there be a positive on and off option?
    04-27-12 06:02 AM
    Removable. Nothing to do with needing to pull it out to solve something. There are time you just can't charge and that may last for hours.
    04-27-12 06:29 AM
    I don't think it matters, as long as there is the possibility to use an external USB charging device. Portable rechargeable USB battery packs, like this exist. Battery pulls in BBOS are a consequence of the java system, so they shouldn't be needed in BB10. A soft reset option or power cycle should be sufficient.
    04-27-12 06:46 AM
    If my Torch was any slimmer I'd drop it.

I don't mind having a removable battery at all. One less thing I'd need to send the phone away to have fixed should the battery develop a problem.
    That's why I said both. Removable battery for people like you who want it, and a non removable for people who like slimmer devices and don't need to take their battery out.
    04-27-12 07:56 AM
    If it will look as good as the new Nokia Lumias, and will NEVER need a battery pull, make it non removable.
    04-30-12 09:33 PM
    it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. even on bbos 7.1 i rarely have to pull my battery except when loading a new OS. The battery is able to last be at least more than a day, which is fine by me. If having a non removable battery means bigger capacity, i'd take it. I have used an iphone for years, never had any trouble with it.

But i wouldn't mind having a removable battery door as well. It would offer a bit more flexibility.
    05-01-12 12:06 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD