If we look past the "App Gap" with BlackBerry10, the only other problem is the platforms customization. I wish there was some way to incorporate Android widgets in the OS. Active Frames are great for seeing what your working on, but I believe widgets are much more powerfull for a "Home Scren" (something BB10 is kind of missing).

With 10.2.1, I hear that skins are now working. With this in mind, could BB not let users creae an "android page" or two between the active frame sheet and the list of apps. Widgets would then be able to be organized on these pages and add a whole new layer to BB10.

What do you think, is this even possible? Could they put the android sandbox right onto the homescreen?
    11-29-13 09:55 AM
    Android apps? Android widgets? It wouldn't be easy for you to purchase an android device?

BBM rocks, WhatsApp sucks!
    rthonpm likes this.
    11-29-13 09:59 AM
    Honestly, they has to be a GUI change before widgets happen. Easiest solution right now would to have a locking ability for active frames.
    11-29-13 10:06 AM
    Android apps? Android widgets? It wouldn't be easy for you to purchase an android device?

BBM rocks, WhatsApp sucks!

It 100% would be easier for me to buy an android device, if I didn't love BB10. I would prefer all my apps to be native with cascades, but thats just not a option. And yes, I would prefer interactive frames to widgets (if done right), but again that would require developer buy-in which isn't the easiest thing for BB right now.

SOOO, while this is more of a patch job on the OS, I still think it would be better than not having anything, would you not agree?
    11-29-13 01:35 PM
    Honestly, they has to be a GUI change before widgets happen. Easiest solution right now would to have a locking ability for active frames.
    I just saw the thread regarding running a skin on the android runtime, and thought about how great it would be if that functionality was available just outside the active frames, but stil standboxed.

I imagine that it would be quite difficult to implement, but would provide users with a greater utility of the home screen. Guess it will only be in my dreams =P
    11-29-13 01:44 PM
    Customization is an area BlackBerry needs to address and soon.
    Folks like eye candy and information at a glance. This is one reason DROID is so popular.
    Again, the lack of this is a Mike L left over. BlackBerry needs to fully purge itself of the poison this man left behind.

Verizon Z10 10.2.1.1055
    Last edited by trsbbs; 11-29-13 at 03:42 PM.
    11-29-13 01:54 PM
    Install a launcher and you can have widgets in your Android home screen.

Fired from my Z10
    11-29-13 02:01 PM
    Install a launcher and you can have widgets in your Android home screen.

Fired from my Z10
    But wouldn't the launcher be in an active frame?
    11-30-13 12:35 PM
    Yes unfortunately but just keep it open!
    11-30-13 08:25 PM
    Yes unfortunately but just keep it open!
    Unfortunately, I can't open any native apps that way. Which is almost all.

I'm guessing there'll be theme support in the future.
    11-30-13 08:29 PM
    A re implementation of active frames would be really great.

Im not saying that it should be just like android widgets but a redesign which makes them more effective would be welcomed I think.

Z30, Q10, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    02-05-14 02:59 AM
    I, for one, wouldn't like to see such a feature. More stuff my colleagues can mess with, no thanks.
    02-05-14 07:49 AM