Over the years i have accumulated a fair number of paid apps from os7 and below.

I understand that not all the os7 apps will be available/relevant on bb10, but does RIM intend on having some sort of compensation scheme for users who decide to upgrade to bb10? Or will everything be wiped out as though customers are moving to a completely new platform/phone company?

i hope they will find a way to make popular os7 apps available for bb10 although that is close to impossible. hopefully they'll offer appworld credits.. we'll see.
    04-07-12 06:51 PM
    I think you're just being greedy now...when you build a second computer does Microsoft compensate you for buying another windows? If you buy a PS3, are you compensated by the game developers for all the games you bought on an Xbox 360?? What kinda madness is this?

You're moving to a completely different device. It's a whole new operating system. It's complete up to date hardware for once. The chips for these phones aren't even out yet. That's how up to date they are.
    04-07-12 06:55 PM
    I think RIM will try to convert all of the Paid APPS for BB10, so they can keep consumers happy. A few might take a longtime before they are sure to work on the new OS, but it will there. Don't worry.
    04-07-12 07:03 PM
    I think you're just being greedy now...when you build a second computer does Microsoft compensate you for buying another windows? If you buy a PS3, are you compensated by the game developers for all the games you bought on an Xbox 360?? What kinda madness is this?

You're moving to a completely different device. It's a whole new operating system. It's complete up to date hardware for once. The chips for these phones aren't even out yet. That's how up to date they are.
    comparing ps3 and xbox? come on. when you buy a ps 3 you can still run your ps2 games. When i buy office2007 for my win xp, i can definitely still run it on win 7. isolating an entire collection of apps overnight is a different story.

I have had the luxury to use the apps for a number of years. i can't imagine how rim would explain to a new bb customer on a 9900 who bought an app for 2 months only to find out that it can't be used upon upgrade. i think it would be a good idea to start adding a disclaimer on app world to inform the masses should rim share your views.
    04-07-12 07:13 PM
    Actually you are incorrect on the microsoft products.... If you buy a Microsft Office 2007.... that license is only legally valid for the computer you installed it on.... Legally you cannot transfer it.....The same goes for any OS Microsoft makes... It has been that way since Window 95.... Most users are not aware of this as they click throught the license agreement... Each agreement clearly states the license for one computer only and not transferable...... As I sell the product I have unenviable task of telling my corporate clients they have to spring for a new Windows and Office everytime they order a PC from me.... Of cpurse you can still install it on another computer but then you are using pirated software......

Using your logic if I bought an Office product for my Mac and Microsoft develops it for the Ipad, Apple should then give me a copy for my Ipad...... Not gong to happen.....

Just because RIM makes the hardware and OS... they do not own the Apps posted in App World... I would love to be a fly on the wall when RIM tells the app developers that they will make no money for the efforts to port their apps over to BB10.... as all the BB7 and below will get it for free... Do not think it will happen....
    Last edited by dbmalloy; 04-07-12 at 07:45 PM.
    04-07-12 07:24 PM
    Actually you are incorrect on the microsoft products.... If you buy a Microsft Office 2007.... that license is only legally valid for the computer you installed it on.... Legally you cannot transfer it.....The same goes for any OS Microsoft makes... It has been that way since Window 95.... Most users are not aware of this as they click throught the license agreement... Each agreement clearly states the license for for on computer only and not transferable...... As I sell the product I have unenviable task of telling my corporate clients they have to spring for a new Windows and Office everytime they order a PC from me.... Of cpurse you can still install it on another computer but then you are using pirated software......

Using your logic if I bought an Office product for my Mac and Microsoft develops it for the Ipad, Microsoft should then give me a copy for my Ipad...... Not gong to happen.....

Just because RIM makes the hardware and OS... they do not own the Apps posted in App World... I would love to be a fly on the wall when RIM tells the app developers that they will make no money for the efforts to port their apps over to BB10.... as all the BB7 and below will get it for free... Do not think it will happen....
    THIS ^ is why I hate those EULA. You think you buy the software to install as you please on your own devices but NO they try to say you may only install it on a certain amount of device which I say is BS.

But in reply to your post, I once had a legit copy of Office that allowed for up to three computers :P
    04-07-12 07:44 PM
    Over the years i have accumulated a fair number of paid apps from os7 and below.

I understand that not all the os7 apps will be available/relevant on bb10, but does RIM intend on having some sort of compensation scheme for users who decide to upgrade to bb10? Or will everything be wiped out as though customers are moving to a completely new platform/phone company?

i hope they will find a way to make popular os7 apps available for bb10 although that is close to impossible. hopefully they'll offer appworld credits.. we'll see.
    You need to remember that RIM's app world is the middle man. The developers are the ones selling that product. Its up to each one of them to decide if they will move that app into BB10. If they do it would be nice if they allow customers that have bought the old product to get that product free or for a discount. I think a discount is a better option because of the cost involved in making a new app. But I don't know if the app world system is set up to offer discounts for certain users.

When I move into BB10 (Unless there is something wrong with it or the devices I will be moving to BB10) I expect to buy new apps. Some I might have from my PlayBook which should be able to go on the phone for free but we will see.

James
    04-07-12 07:53 PM
    Actually you are incorrect on the microsoft products.... If you buy a Microsft Office 2007.... that license is only legally valid for the computer you installed it on.... Legally you cannot transfer it.....The same goes for any OS Microsoft makes... It has been that way since Window 95.... Most users are not aware of this as they click throught the license agreement... Each agreement clearly states the license for one computer only and not transferable...... As I sell the product I have unenviable task of telling my corporate clients they have to spring for a new Windows and Office everytime they order a PC from me.... Of cpurse you can still install it on another computer but then you are using pirated software......

Using your logic if I bought an Office product for my Mac and Microsoft develops it for the Ipad, Apple should then give me a copy for my Ipad...... Not gong to happen.....

But he didn't say when transferring to a new computer, he said when you upgrade your operating system from Windows XP to Windows 7. It wouldn't be illegal to re install office on the same computer. That being said, your analogy does still apply to the situation because with RIM and BB10 it is a new system we are purchasing.

Bohbohboh is also wrong about the Ps3 being able to play Ps2 games. Playstation 3 systems are no longer backwards compatible with Playstation 2 games and haven't been for quite some time now.
    04-07-12 08:03 PM
    I already read this topic but it is came too old.
    My question is after BB10 officially released is: Is there any way to put the old paid apps (on OS 7.1) to a new BB10 device?
    03-24-13 10:57 AM
    I already read this topic but it is came too old.
    My question is after BB10 officially released is: Is there any way to put the old paid apps (on OS 7.1) to a new BB10 device?
    Only if the app developer (not BB) rewrites the app for BB10. It would be up to them if they were going to price it differently for an existing app owner that a new buyer... This is not a BB responsibility since they are not writing the app nor getting anything other than a small % of the revenue from the app I would think.
    In short, this is not likely to happen.
    03-24-13 11:11 AM
    It is completely up to the developer if they decide to charge again. The apps written for BBOS are Java apps which won't run on BB10. The developer has to write a completely different app using a completely different language. If the developer decides not to charge again, then the app should show up in BlackBerry World automatically.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 12:10 PM
    comparing ps3 and xbox? come on. when you buy a ps 3 you can still run your ps2 games. When i buy office2007 for my win xp, i can definitely still run it on win 7. isolating an entire collection of apps overnight is a different story.

I have had the luxury to use the apps for a number of years. i can't imagine how rim would explain to a new bb customer on a 9900 who bought an app for 2 months only to find out that it can't be used upon upgrade. i think it would be a good idea to start adding a disclaimer on app world to inform the masses should rim share your views.
    Actually, after the first generation ps3s they took out backwards capability for ps2 games. And ps4 and the next xbox are rumored to not run old games. Microsoft intends to not even alow used games to run on the new Xbox requiring a new license to be purchased to play the game. Your logic doesn't hold.

Legacy bbos is done. We need to forget the golden days and move into the future. from here on out though your paid apps will carry through this generation of blackberry phones. So no worries.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 12:10 PM

Perhaps it would be better to compare to other transitions rather than upgrades. If you had an application for DOS, then you upgraded to Windows, did you get the Windows version free? Can you run your Game Boy Color games on your DS? Can your DVD player play VHS tapes? (alright, some can...). Can you play the games you bought for your old Motorola brick on your new Motorola phone? If you get an in ground pool, can you keep it if you move? You can rarely keep anything on the basis of having had it previously.
    03-24-13 06:37 PM
    Gone, your essentially moving to a different platform so none of the old apps will work. End of story.
    03-24-13 07:23 PM
    Gone, your essentially moving to a different platform so none of the old apps will work. End of story.
    Sad to hear this... Thanks anyway.
    03-25-13 07:05 AM
    Color id allows me to continue using the paid version on my z10 which I bought it during the old days.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 09:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD