Am I in the minority when I state that I am not all that excited about BB10 phone devices? I absolutely love the Bold 9900 with OS 7.1. I also own and love the Playbook. Isn't BB10 just the Playbook OS on a phone with obvious tweaks for phone/screen requirements? Where is the advantage having the same OS on the phone as a tablet that I already use daily? I rather enjoy have different OS's. Sometimes it's obvious to use the phone for certain tasks. Other times to use the Playbook for other tasks. The same software on both, for me anyway, seems kind of pointless.
    04-14-12 10:12 AM
    Oops. Put this in the wrong section. Some help please. Thanks.
    04-14-12 10:18 AM
    They cant just stop at OS 7 nd thats it. They have to evolve the OS. BB10 is a mix between OS 7 and QNX as i understand. While the playbook is pure QNX i think. I am not sure. I am really excited for BB10, it will be a huge upgrade for me from OS 6 to BB10

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    04-14-12 10:21 AM
    As you can tell by my signature, I own a 9900 with the latest OS, and a PlayBook with the latest OS.

Comparatively, the OS 7.1 on my 9900 is faster and more responsive than OS 2.0 on my PlayBook. The browser on my 9900 is also faster and more responsive. Multitasking is just as good on either.

So, your question is legitimate. What will OS 10 bring that is overwhelmingly better? I'm not sure.

Os course, RIM needs to innovate and move forward. But take a look at Apple iOS. They will probably be using it for the next decade. Where else can they go?

Smartphone OS implementations, like desktop OS's, are almost maxed out. RIM is just playing catch-up now (and this is good). Really, is the next version of Windows or MacOS going be a "game changer?".... nope.

Smartphone OS's will become "commodities" like Desktop OS. They will all do the same thing...as they do now, more or less.

The innovation will be on the "back end"....
    04-14-12 10:36 AM
    I'm excited to see the new BB10's as I don't yet own a Playbook. Furthermore I'm really looking forward to the design of the BB10 Bold type devices.
    04-14-12 10:37 AM
    Continue to use your OS7 phone and bb10 on the pb. There is your different OS's. The thing is everyone is moving to a standard UI on everything as it makes it easier for people when going from one device to the next.
    04-14-12 10:47 AM
    How on earth are you making any comparison or viewpoint?.. we neither know what the os will be like or know what the phones look like......

Right now, os7.1 is 1000 times better than the BB10 that does not exist. thats for sure
    04-14-12 11:29 AM
    How on earth are you making any comparison or viewpoint?.. we neither know what the os will be like or know what the phones look like......

Right now, os7.1 is 1000 times better than the BB10 that does not exist. thats for sure
    Ummmm... BB10 is a customised version of PlayBook OS 2.0. It will be based on QNX and have a customised interface for a smaller screen. Sure it might have a different UI, but it will be pretty much the same relationship between iOS for the iPhone, iPad and iPod.

I wouldn't expect anything much different that iOS or Android, or BB7.1 for that matter.
    04-14-12 11:34 AM
    OP,
    I understand how you feel. I know BB10 is going to help BB gain new users and that is great but I love my Bold 9930 and I would suggest that the Bold plus Playbook combo is the perfect combo.
    The BB is not the media powerhouse that (iPhone or top-of-the-line droids are) but in my view it is a superior "get it done" device. The size is still small and manageable and the physical keyboard shortcuts are simply the best. I know that all the competitors are making progress on e-mail and messaging but to me BB still has an advantage here.

With the Bold + Playbook I get the perfect balance. All the "get er done" stuff I love and also all the media and fun stuff in a perfect mobile size. I've heard the iPad is looking at the 7" tablet. Duh. If the 7" was DOA as Steve Jobs said, why would Amazon launch the Kindle Fire on 7"?

So, in conclusion, although I look forward to RIM releasing BB10, I am sticking with my Bold 9930 and Playbook. The perfect combo and by the way, it saves money as well. The BB remote and presenter work great for Power Point presentations and watching HD video on TV or from a projector.

I think the BB+PB was a stroke of genius for the consumer that is smart enough or informed enough to take advantage of it.
    04-14-12 11:45 AM
    i guess u need to watch the TAT demos to just have a feel how amazing BB10 could be . more over having the same OS will give app developers advantage and also better syncing and more

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-14-12 01:10 PM
    Legacy BBOS is an embedded OS designed to run on simple low-end devices, such as what BlackBerry phones were many years ago. It has a lot of technical design limitations, and can only be pushed so far. OS 7.1 is the extreme of that pushing, and has gone far enough that many users don't notice how far things have been stretched. (Except when you have to reboot on app updates, of course, or have mysterious application memory grown you can't attribute to anything specific.)

Almost every other smartphone OS today is an effort to take a more general-purpose not-so-embedded OS and scale it down to run on phone-type devices. iOS is built on top of heavily customized MacOSX (FreeBSD + Mach kernel + Apple stuff). Android is built on top of heavily customized Linux (+ Google stuff). BB10 will be no different in this regard, in that it will take a customized build of QNX and add a whole bunch of RIM stuff on top of it.

In other words, legacy BBOS is designed to run in a *far* more resource-constrained environment than everything else out there today. This means its less capable of fully leveraging modern hardware and use cases. Future BB10 should not have this problem, and is definitely the right decision going forward.
    04-14-12 01:20 PM
    Actually it means it (bbos type) could be far more capable... but the development cost, time and integration pain means its simply not worth it..

In other words, legacy BBOS is designed to run in a *far* more resource-constrained environment than everything else out there today. This means its less capable of fully leveraging modern hardware and use cases. Future BB10 should not have this problem, and is definitely the right decision going forward.
    04-14-12 05:04 PM
    I like the fact that so many people are experts on BB10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-14-12 05:29 PM
    Actually it means it (bbos type) could be far more capable... but the development cost, time and integration pain means its simply not worth it..
    Not really. That's like saying (to make a bad analogy) "MS-DOS could be far more capable than Windows 7 on a modern PC, but it would take too much work."

Sometimes, to make software run on very limited hardware, you may make fundamental design decisions that limit scalability.

As far as I can tell, legacy BBOS is a minimalist embedded OS that's totally untouchable by normal applications. On top of this, its running a single J2ME-compatible JVM that basically runs all apps inside of it. Between these apps, you can have naming conflicts, dependency issues, accumulated garbage, etc. Every time RIM needs to add some modern feature that won't run in that sandbox, they have a poke a hole in that JVM down to native code. They've had to do this for the Webkit browser, for SQLite, for some of the media player components, probably even some UI operations now, etc. Eventually it just becomes an unmaintainable mess with strange performance bottlenecks all over the place.
    Matt J likes this.
    04-14-12 05:34 PM
    I've been an OS7 user for a long time and recently bought a Z10 because I liked the look of it. I used it for three weeks and then sold it on because it was too big to use as a phone and carry easily yet too small to use for reading books or browsing the internet. I will now stick to my OS7 + Playbook combination. This pairing is in my opinion the high-watermark in technology, all else is mere advertising banter and lust on the part of consumers. I will proceed to buy an identical spare OS7 and PB device. Good luck to all those still trying to find their perfect-fit technology.
    09-04-14 08:50 PM
    I've been an OS7 user for a long time and recently bought a Z10 because I liked the look of it. I used it for three weeks and then sold it on because it was too big to use as a phone and carry easily yet too small to use for reading books or browsing the internet. I will now stick to my OS7 + Playbook combination. This pairing is in my opinion the high-watermark in technology, all else is mere advertising banter and lust on the part of consumers. I will proceed to buy an identical spare OS7 and PB device. Good luck to all those still trying to find their perfect-fit technology.
    I'd understand where you're coming from. I just got my second BlackBerry device, a Q10, coming from a BlackBerry 9900 last year, which I got rid of mid last year. I'm also using a Note 3 as a second handset. But all my communications are done on the Q10. The size, the physical keyboard are just perfect for a handset. The Note 3 stays in my field bag most of the day. And for browsing the Web or media consumption, I'd rather do it on the iPad Air.

In short, I could live with just a compact productivity centric handset like the Q10 and a good tablet like the iPad Air. But for those that want just a single, lone device, I'd understand the appeal of a phablet, which will never blow a compact PKB mobile like the Q10 out of the water or compete with a full tablet like the iPad Air.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 05:22 AM
    You guys realise that you're replying to a 2.5 year old thread right...

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 10:14 AM
    Yah apparently not much has changed....lol
    09-09-14 02:48 PM
    I can understand people are happy with OS7 devices, my wife uses a feature phone. But why does it have to be a discussion of one VS the other. My wife will continue to use feature phones until the last one we can find stops working. Since BlackBerry is still selling OS7 devices people who prefer them can probably use them for another 3 or 4 years. Longer if they are careful and learn how to use them without BIS.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD