Basically, my Z30 is still able to be used as a handheld GPS unit on airplane mode, but my wife's iPhone 5s displays the attached picture here and is useless in airplane mode for GPS.

BB10 vs iPhone 5s for offline GPS-img_20140713_113251.jpg

Posted via the Z30 on CB10
    07-13-14 10:35 AM
    No phone will be able to do much without the underlying map data. Your Z30 is useless as it can show a dot but can't relate that to map data (roads, etc) because it gets that layer on-demand from the network. If you see a map it's because it was cached in. If you move or reset it, you will have nothing but a dot.
    07-13-14 10:49 AM
    Basically, my Z30 is still able to be used as a handheld GPS unit on airplane mode, but my wife's iPhone 5s displays the attached picture here and is useless in airplane mode for GPS.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140713_113251.jpg 
Views:	859 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	284748

Posted via the Z30 on CB10
    and you should be able to use third party apps like GPSkit for offline gps (you can cache large sections of map on demand). I think though that the GPS radio (and it's active antenna) are powered down on iPhones when in airplane mode and that is probably by regulation. BB might just be doing it wrong.
    07-13-14 11:06 AM
    There is no requirement to power down the GPS system when in airplane mode.

The GPS hardware shipped in Apple devices has long been known to be a poor performer by people who develop professional GPS applications. The makers of ForeFlight actually recommend an external GPS. Most pilots I know buy Wi-Fi only iOS. devices and invest the savings in a good external GPS.

The GPS hardware in BlackBerry 10 devices equipped with the Snapdragon processor are excellent performers, not only with GPS but also with GLONAS capability.

While some may find GNSS unless without a map database, I have received requests to develop two applications using BB10 GNSS without any mapping. One for outdoor enthusiasts in pursuits where map data does not provide the position accuracy they need. The other for air navigation where mapping data is often distracting.

There are many activities that require very accurate geolocation that don't require map data.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 09:03 PM
    I'd be very interested in those applications Richard Buckley. My area would be "light" surveying, where I could asbuilt large installations with the most accurate GPS data collection available, and then post process those points on a laptop machine to overlay them on map/ GIS data.
    If these are in the works, or something like it please let me know.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 09:14 PM
    I'd be very interested in those applications Richard Buckley. My area would be "light" surveying, where I could asbuilt large installations with the most accurate GPS data collection available, and then post process those points on a laptop machine to overlay them on map/ GIS data.
    If these are in the works, or something like it please let me know.

Posted via CB10
    My understanding of post processing is that in order to get survey quality positions one needs to collect pseudoranges. But I do not regularly keep up to date with GNSS based survey technology, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't believe pseudoranges are available from the hardware but I can try to find out.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 04:40 AM
    I've used a system with a CNS5000 and when on survey or mapping flights did have a iPhone along with me and a couple of times recorded the data from the iPhone and ran both through the post processing and didn't get hugely worse results with the iPhone data. I didn't seem particularly bad to me for a phone.

on one of those flights one of the pilots (this was a military flight in Afghanistan) mentioned that in commercial part 135 flights the gps would have to be turned off, but I never checked and he wasn't sure himself. I'll take your word for it, but generally I haven't had trouble onboard planes with an iPhone.
    07-16-14 02:09 AM
    I know that you have to get a cell capable iPad or an iPhone vs an iPod to get a GPS. I don't know if that means the GPS is off when the radios are off because they share circuitry. Many people assume Apple does things a certain way because that's the right way, rather than doing it in a way that's good for Apple.

The main problem with the iPhone GPS is its sensitivity and the quality of its correlators. It works better when it has been operating recently with a network connection, or has access to an A-GPS server. I know of someone who tried to use an iPhone to get a GPS fix in an area of poor cell coverage to ground truth a beacon location to assess the accuracy of an electronic SAR technique. The fix was 1.6 km away from the area where the beacon was. She also flew with it in my plane where we could compare it to VOR, an approved Loran-C system, a Lowrance hand held and a BlackBerry 9800. The iPone was consistently the worst.

If you can post process fixes it is east to save NMEA frames on a BlackBerry. The GPS system makes them available through the API.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 07:16 AM