Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    ...or "Hey BlackBerry".....as i like to address it...

Anyone know the breakdown of the functionality inside the voice assistant that still works?
    I know with the life extension announcement this month for BB10 itself (and other BB OS's) very basic support beyond the originally announced shutdown date of JAn1 2020, that they nixed some of the voice assistant functionality Aug 1,2019.

What still works? What phrases?
    I tried setting my alarm through the voice assistant and I don't think it works.
    "Set an alarm for 2 pm tomorrow "(for example). It responded ....The voice request wasn't understood, though it formed the sentence perfectly on the screen.

I just started trusting it enough to start dabbling with it, given how you must physically enable it in BB10 unlike Android where I'm still more than leary at using it at all. Too bad full functionality is going away. The alarm is a good one to have, cause late at night I'm a little bleary eyed and tired to actually look at the phone to set it physically.
    Can you still set an alarm by voice assistant in bb10 in post August 2019?
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 08-26-19 at 11:08 AM.
    08-24-19 10:51 PM
    I was able to set the alarm using the voice assistant. Still working.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-19 12:41 PM
    I was able to set the alarm using the voice assistant. Still working.

Posted via CB10
    Hmmmm....not for me strangely. Also tried the following:..Invoked the Voice Assistant. Spoke: "Set alarm for 6pm" ...The Assistant understands the words, displays them exactly as spoken but says "The voice request wasn't understood."
    How did you set the alarm by voice?

Just to add to this, the voice requests to send a text message or place a call or play music worked fine. I have a bunch of alarms already set and turned off but I doubt that matters, it just didn't recognize "Alarm" as the BlackBerry clock app is my guess. I did open the clock if I simply said "open clock". Am using the UK voice.

For those paranoid ...about voice assistants in general or if Jason Bourne is still out there, for fun you can test this by using the text to speech on a windows notepad and type in the sentence that the microsoft voice can dictate to the BlackBerry assistant (Don't know if that makes the super security minded cringe or not though, but at least it won't be your voice being analyzed (lol)...
    Too late for me, I guess, I've been hanging around people with those confounded Alexas and Google phones.
    I can see it now voice bot wars...ahem...okay back to the problem at hand.... set alarm using voice assistant.

(post script for the paranoid: You could just skip Microsoft text-to-speech and get a 2nd bb10 phone, create a very simple html file (just with the words to be spoken) in the downloads folder (for example) with that command to test and put it in reader mode, to read it out to the voice assistant on the other device....but I digress).
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 08-25-19 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added comment
    08-25-19 02:12 PM
    I spoke: "Set alarm for 6pm". And it also works.
    I am from Russia and my pronunciation is not perfect)

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails BB10 VOICE ASSISTANT -POST AUG1,2019  What still works?-img_20190826_002016.png  
    08-25-19 02:27 PM
    I spoke: "Set alarm for 6pm". And it also works.
    I am from Russia and my pronunciation is not perfect)

Posted via CB10
    When I use this command or the others above I get "voice command not understood" so not working for me either. I don't use this stuff so it's not a big deal, never found that I really needed it.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-19 04:07 PM
    hmmm...would still like it to work ( handsfree voice, when driving, on the go, or tired etc).

However a consolation method (workaround) for a sliver of alarms usages...
    Like: ["Hey BlackBerry set an alarm for 30 minutes"] every half hour or just for the next half hour (you know like the old grandfather clock)......is the
    [two-finger swipe down from the top of the bb10 device] to open the [QUICK SETTINGS]
    Then a quick tap on the [ALARM] icon will automatically turn on the next pre-configured (but turned off) alarm in my alarm list. However a little work is required to set up all those alarms ahead of time in the Clock App Alarm section... Yes I could use [Timer], but this is faster when on the go (if preconfigured by the user).

As for setting the alarm for variying times in the morning on different days, I'll just have to do the above (but press the [ALARM] text instead) then adjust the actual time on the clock image itself...this is easier than the spinning dials in the alarm lists themselves all the time.
    Attached Thumbnails BB10 VOICE ASSISTANT -POST AUG1,2019  What still works?-quick-settings_blackberry-10.3.-bb10-passport-20190826_8931751.jpg  
    08-26-19 12:34 PM
    When I use this command or the others above I get "voice command not understood" so not working for me either. I don't use this stuff so it's not a big deal, never found that I really needed it.

Posted via CB10
    If none of them work for you, I'd probably check your [SETTINGS] menu under [BlackBerry Assistant] one or more are probably turned off.
    08-26-19 01:23 PM
    I have just tested it. I had to restart my Z30 twice before BlackBerry Assistant works. Not sure why.

I am able to make call, send text message, set alarms, find a shopping centre and then tell it to show the route (but BB Maps shows impossible route, crossing the river where there is no bridge) ...

It seems BlackBerry Assistant is working fine as before.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-19 09:33 AM
    I have just tested it. I had to restart my Z30 twice before BlackBerry Assistant works. Not sure why.

I am able to make call, send text message, set alarms, find a shopping centre and then tell it to show the route (but BB Maps shows impossible route, crossing the river where there is no bridge) ...

It seems BlackBerry Assistant is working fine as before.

Posted via CB10
    Did you include swimming as a transport method (lol). Yup, still a no go for me, just not working for the alarm setting functionality though. Not sure if possible, but I Wonder if some other app is interfering with "alarm" and confusing the assistant in my case, by claiming to be the "alarm", or whether some node of assistant isn't working the same as others (or if someone has redirected the request...oh I don't know, one of those backbone suppliers)- don't know how the assistant actually functions so this is a wild guess on my part.
    08-27-19 03:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD