... In between keyboard or physical size, I'm afraid I'd have to pick size and only Sony has a compact line that is appealing to me.
    I hear you. I see how "bigger is better" for things like televisions or umbrellas maybe... but not for smartphones. Maybe for some people but not for all of us.
    Qorax likes this.
    12-23-17 12:38 PM
    I just spent a couple weeks on Android and I do not like it. Ads are everywhere you go on so many apps, and man, do you ever need the app store as everything is a required add-on to the OS.
    Yeah, I hear you, too. Can't believe all the unwanted crap ads that pops up on my wife's Android.

Is there no way to kill that $h!t?

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3057
    12-23-17 02:18 PM
    Yeah, I hear you, too. Can't believe all the unwanted crap ads that pops up on my wife's Android.

Is there no way to kill that $h!t?
    I've been using Android for 8 years, and I've hardly ever seen an ad. But if you CHOOSE to use a "free, ad-supported" version of an app instead of paying a couple of bucks for it, yeah, you shouldn't be shocked to have ads. That has nothing to do with Android and everything to do with people choosing "free" vs. paying a few bucks up-front.

And, yeah, there are also lots of ad-supported games that don't have a paid, ad-free version, but you could simply choose a different game in that case - there's no shortage of them available.
    12-23-17 02:51 PM
    I'm guessing you're on Freedom in Canada? If that's the case, they're not actively blocking LTE on BB devices but their SIMS need to be re-configured for BB10 phones. They've made it known that that will happen but just not immediately. If you're in the Toronto area, you should see SIM compatibility in time for the official launch in Spring '18.

I am just wondering where you may have received this information as it sounds interesting?

I am on Freedom Mobile in Calagry and I have received several text messages from Freedom back in November stating that the LTE network is now available to all devices and than proceeds to show the required steps.

I have searched many times with my Passport and another friend who has a Z30 and we can't seem to get a LTE signal? Other people with the required bands on non BlackBerry 10 devices don't have this issue.

Several calls to Freedom tech support and the answer I keep getting is that the network in Calagry hasn't been completed yet. Blah blah blah. Yours seems more plausible. Thanks in advance

Posted via CB10
    12-23-17 05:16 PM
    What would it take? A BlackBerry device with an unlocked bootloader. As it stands, with everything locked down tight and with only two years of security updates, there's no point in buying a new BlackBerry unless you buy it on day one.

A year in, you're paying almost full price, and you're down to 12 months of updates. What's the point in that?

If you could buy *a special version* of each model with an unlockable bootloader, I'd buy one. With an unlockable bootloader, custom ROMs would be possible, and the device would be usable for a long time. I have no qualms about using Android, I know of several custom ROMs that I trust, and I enjoy having a highly configurable device.
    This!

For the moment the Classic is still going strong.

I tried the Keyone twice now. Liked the PKB. Think its a bit too large and too expensive though for me.

A Sammy withe the clip on keyboard maybe? Curious how that Nokia pkb mentioned some post above will develop.

I dont exchange phones. Just keep the old ones so the program makes no difference to me.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    12-23-17 05:45 PM
    I've been using Android for 8 years, and I've hardly ever seen an ad. But if you CHOOSE to use a "free, ad-supported" version of an app instead of paying a couple of bucks for it, yeah, you shouldn't be shocked to have ads. That has nothing to do with Android and everything to do with people choosing "free" vs. paying a few bucks up-front.

And, yeah, there are also lots of ad-supported games that don't have a paid, ad-free version, but you could simply choose a different game in that case - there's no shortage of them available.
    She has no games. Two apps that I know aren't ad-free are Spotify and Pandora, but the ads come up in the app, not in the notifications or on the home screen or whatever Android calls that.

Is there a way to figure out which app(s) cause ads?

I'd like to learn how to deal with this -BEFORE- migrating to BlackDroid.

Thanks.

Pete
    AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3057
    12-23-17 07:17 PM
    She has no games. Two apps that I know aren't ad-free are Spotify and Pandora, but the ads come up in the app, not in the notifications or on the home screen or whatever Android calls that.

Thanks.

Pete
    Spotify should be ad-free if you pay the monthly subscription for it. Not sure about Pandora but this was the exact point... ads aren't an Android thing... it's a "freemiun" business model. I'm not on Android but I completely support the business model there. I don't like it when there is no option to pay and disable the ads but to be able to try out something before needing to pay for it is great. And, if it's good, the developer deserves to make something for their efforts.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    12-23-17 07:25 PM

Thanks.

Pete
    Where do the ads appear? If they appear in your notification tray, try long pressing the ad and see if it provides info about the app?
    12-23-17 07:48 PM
    I BOUGHT the KEYone, and I even like it a lot, but you'd have to pay me $10K or more a year to get me to use it over my BB10 phone as a daily driver.

The KEYone does many things much better than my 4.75 year-old Z10 or 3 year-old PP, but for 90% of the tasks that keep me working and productive, BB10 is still measurably better.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    jevinzac likes this.
    12-26-17 12:51 PM
    Concerning that Nokia:
    https://nokiapoweruser.com/nokia-ta-...certification/

Like the looks of it.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-17 04:40 PM
    I am just wondering where you may have received this information as it sounds interesting?

I am on Freedom Mobile in Calagry and I have received several text messages from Freedom back in November stating that the LTE network is now available to all devices and than proceeds to show the required steps.

I have searched many times with my Passport and another friend who has a Z30 and we can't seem to get a LTE signal? Other people with the required bands on non BlackBerry 10 devices don't have this issue.

Several calls to Freedom tech support and the answer I keep getting is that the network in Calagry hasn't been completed yet. Blah blah blah. Yours seems more plausible. Thanks in advance

Posted via CB10
    I used to do business with WIND and still know a few people down at Queen's Quay. I still try to get the info from store personnel/CSRs, but sometimes they seem to know so little, not their fault I know.
    12-27-17 09:30 AM
36 12