With a possible exchange/rebate programme supposedly being announced soon, I was just wondering what it would take for you to switch from your current BB10 device to a KEYone or Motion?

Would a single set rebate suffice or would you expect a sliding/rising scale for different devices?

Just wondering.
    12-18-17 02:41 PM
    If they haven't switched yet, not sure a $25 rebate is going to do all that much.
    12-18-17 03:17 PM
    The first thing it'll take is confirmation of KEYtwo with delivery date and price.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3057
    12-18-17 04:33 PM
    Not the KeyOne and definitely not the Motion (which I returned). But a KeyTWO, if as below, will.

BB10 Users: What Would it Take?-blackberry-passport-new.jpg
    Image courtesy @Leatherfacez10
    falbo and skinnymike1 like this.
    12-18-17 06:53 PM
    For me it would take something with an OS other than Android.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    Qorax, jevinzac, elfabio80 and 2 others like this.
    12-19-17 09:36 AM

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    Guess you'll have to go with Nokia.
    http://www.techradar.com/news/nokia-...ctile-keyboard
    12-19-17 09:43 AM

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    Apple buys off BlackBerry, log-stock-and-barrel. Plonks iOS into it - and calls it BlackApple?
    12-19-17 09:49 AM

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    Sony was supposed to be launching a device with Sailfish on it, at least in Europe anyway
    12-19-17 12:11 PM
    Guess you'll have to go with Nokia.
    http://www.techradar.com/news/nokia-...ctile-keyboard
    You are assuming I want a keyboard. A Leap would have been a bad choice in that case.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    12-19-17 12:19 PM
    Sony was supposed to be launching a device with Sailfish on it, at least in Europe anyway
    Sailfish is an interesting project, but in respect of an OS for something as important as a smartphone is and as important as a smartphone is likely to be in the future, for me it suffers from the same drawbacks as Android.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    elfabio80 likes this.
    12-19-17 01:11 PM
    With a possible exchange/rebate programme supposedly being announced soon, I was just wondering what it would take for you to switch from your current BB10 device to a KEYone or Motion?

Would a single set rebate suffice or would you expect a sliding/rising scale for different devices?

Just wondering.
    It's not really about the money. Even if the KEYone were cheaper (and it already is, at least the original version) BB10 is just still working too well for me to justify leaving it.

I totally get why most people left and didn't look back... but many of us don't have the same needs. Aside from a better camera, I don't really feel like I'm missing out on much. When the time comes that I NEED to switch, I will... but, for now, even if I WANT a KEYone, I don't need it. And it requires a fair bit of practice to differentiate between the two. BB10 continues to do everything I need it to and surprisingly well. When it ceases doing that, then I will need to make the switch. Until then, BlackBerry can redistribute my rebate to the shareholders.
    Legal Eagle and Qorax like this.
    12-19-17 01:15 PM
    The question wasn't what OS/manufacturer we would go to. It was what it would take to make us switch to a Keyone or a Motion. The base OS on these devices is Android. Just like a building with a bad foundation, or the Roman Empire with "feet of clay" there is no getting around the Android base. I use Android, but never for anything important to me. I code for Android, but again never for anything important to me. For me it is just not worth the risks involved.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    DonHB likes this.
    12-19-17 01:20 PM
    Unless that is something brand new, the only thing Sony is doing is assisting the Sailfish folks in a compatible Sailfish X to flash on their Xperia line. They aren't selling a SF phone themselves.
    12-19-17 01:24 PM
    Unless that is something brand new, the only thing Sony is doing is assisting the Sailfish folks in a compatible Sailfish X to flash on their Xperia line. They aren't selling a SF phone themselves.
    There was an announcement sometime last year via Sailfish that Sony was going to market a Sailfish device but only through its on-line resources. Just checked and I can't see anything other than an 'Official Sony Xperia' OS being sold by Sailfish. Not sure what happened, but it was definitely a 'thing' 18 months or so ago.
    12-19-17 02:26 PM
    I have to admit that I'm still really quite enjoying BB10 and I don't really need to switch at this moment in time so TCL and BB would have to make it worth my while to switch. What does that look like? I have no idea, I truly don't think I'd switch for anything less than $100 as I'm not overly enamoured with Android.

*Sits and waits for flaming*
    Last edited by A Noise Annoys; 12-19-17 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Clarity
    12-19-17 02:30 PM
    When the rebate comes out, I'm expecting it to be substantial enough to get me to buy the K1.

Right now it's $600 Cdn, I'm hoping to pay $400 - $450 max for a phone that should give me a good 3 - 4 years. The Passport is at 3+, so it's time to move on due to the lack of support.

My carrier blocks LTE on BB10 devices, apps are failing even with patching, it would be great to have the ability to photo deposit cheques and use my phone to pay.

My carrier is offering a great deal on iPhones, so I'm looking at replacing a Z30 with one too.

BB10 had its time, but now it's time to move on.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-17 03:16 PM
    When the rebate comes out, I'm expecting it to be substantial enough to get me to buy the K1.

Right now it's $600 Cdn, I'm hoping to pay $400 - $450 max for a phone that should give me a good 3 - 4 years. The Passport is at 3+, so it's time to move on due to the lack of support.

My carrier blocks LTE on BB10 devices, apps are failing even with patching, it would be great to have the ability to photo deposit cheques and use my phone to pay.

My carrier is offering a great deal on iPhones, so I'm looking at replacing a Z30 with one too.

Posted via CB10
    I'm guessing you're on Freedom in Canada? If that's the case, they're not actively blocking LTE on BB devices but their SIMS need to be re-configured for BB10 phones. They've made it known that that will happen but just not immediately. If you're in the Toronto area, you should see SIM compatibility in time for the official launch in Spring '18.
    12-19-17 03:44 PM
    That's new information for me. I also won't be holding my breath on that. BlackBerry has given up on BB10 and I can assure you we BB10 users are down on the list of any thing Freedom is doing.

I won't believe Freedom is going to do anything until I see it.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-17 05:27 PM
    There was an announcement sometime last year via Sailfish that Sony was going to market a Sailfish device but only through its on-line resources. Just checked and I can't see anything other than an 'Official Sony Xperia' OS being sold by Sailfish. Not sure what happened, but it was definitely a 'thing' 18 months or so ago.
    There was some rumors early on that Sony would also sell a Sailfish device but they never publicly committed to anything and it just ended up with them helping Sailfish. The fact their mobile division had been losing lots of money until the last few months probably also doomed any possibility of it.
    12-19-17 05:32 PM
    That's the whole reason for a exchange/rebate programme... to capture those users that have finally come to that realization. To be honest I think it is probable aimed more at companies with BB10 fleet needing to be replaced. We'll see when of if they come up with something concrete....
    12-20-17 07:54 AM
    What would it take? A BlackBerry device with an unlocked bootloader. As it stands, with everything locked down tight and with only two years of security updates, there's no point in buying a new BlackBerry unless you buy it on day one.

A year in, you're paying almost full price, and you're down to 12 months of updates. What's the point in that?

If you could buy *a special version* of each model with an unlockable bootloader, I'd buy one. With an unlockable bootloader, custom ROMs would be possible, and the device would be usable for a long time. I have no qualms about using Android, I know of several custom ROMs that I trust, and I enjoy having a highly configurable device.

But since that all seems unlikely, I've probably bought my last BlackBerry.
    Qorax and elfabio80 like this.
    12-20-17 08:18 AM
    What would it take? A BlackBerry device with an unlocked bootloader. As it stands, with everything locked down tight and with only two years of security updates, there's no point in buying a new BlackBerry unless you buy it on day one.

A year in, you're paying almost full price, and you're down to 12 months of updates. What's the point in that?

If you could buy *a special version* of each model with an unlockable bootloader, I'd buy one. With an unlockable bootloader, custom ROMs would be possible, and the device would be usable for a long time. I have no qualms about using Android, I know of several custom ROMs that I trust, and I enjoy having a highly configurable device.

But since that all seems unlikely, I've probably bought my last BlackBerry.
    I do wonder how many PlayBook and Phone users would have long ago become Android users if the bootloader had been unlocked. But yeah buying a BlackBerry at this point is a risky decision, too many of us have been burned too many times already.
    rayporsche likes this.
    12-20-17 01:33 PM
    at $25 a piece i would buy another 4 passports in a heartbeat.

Posted via CBX
    eiruvrav likes this.
    12-20-17 07:27 PM
    I've had some more time to think about it - even had the black edition KEYone in my shopping cart on Amazon with the current $150 off but I just couldn't pull the trigger.

If the next device is an updated Priv, I'll buy it as soon as it's available... I just love the slider form so much and wish the Priv would have had everything going for it that the KEYone has (although a bit more compact of a design would be more than welcome).

Otherwise, I'm with BB10 until the bitter bitter end and will probably get a good bargain on a KEYone at that time.
    12-23-17 07:48 AM
    A free device. Otherwise I don't see me getting a Blackberry. In between keyboard or physical size, I'm afraid I'd have to pick size and only Sony has a compact line that is appealing to me.

Realistically, I just spent a couple weeks on Android and I do not like it. Ads are everywhere you go on so many apps, and man, do you ever need the app store as everything is a required add-on to the OS. BB10 still works perfectly for me so I'm here till they brick my phone.
    12-23-17 12:29 PM
36 12